Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:34:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 544
Total: 544

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Five year anniversary..  (Read 4575 times)

Offline krakerjm

Five year anniversary..
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:54:36 pm »
Well, five years since I've known and started meds.  Wasn't sure but when I went to the doc he said it was time for my 5yr. pneumonia shot, that's when it struck home.  Still on the same combo, viramune, viread and epivir and still working.  I was thinking the other night:  I have seen a USA centennial, a world millennium and incredible advances in technology(I remember when my dad bought our first b&w TV in the 50's and now I'm online?); if I can make it 20 more yrs(will be 83,F*uck!) will see a USA bi-sentinel. Once you get older, whether poz or not, you kinda think of things you might wanna see in years to come; too many to make a list, but maybe there's some things to set a goal for that will keep us going besides just surviving.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline randym431

Re: Five year anniversary..
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 08:44:37 pm »
Hey... congrads to you. The time goes by so fast. I'm 53 and I think in just 20 years I'll be almost as old as my dad, 75.
And he seems OLD. And I know how fast 20 years goes by. I still remember the JKF assassination like it way last week. And I started my current job in 1991 and THAT seems like yesterday.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 10:02:18 pm »
Hi Jim,

Time does certainly fly by. Too fast for me at times. You've been on the same regimen for five years, thats great, that everything is working out for ya, except every once in a while, when the Government has to take a jack hammer to things !! I do a lot of reminiscing myself lately. And I will be 55 in December. The pneumonia shot requires a booster, every 5 years. I had my booster, I don't remember, probably 2 years ago.

Take care of yourself Jim-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 11:44:22 pm »
Hi Jim!

I'm glad to know you are doing well, this is great news for me tonight! You were definitely part of my 'naming ceremony' with my donated white blood cells three weeks ago at the NIH...thought I'd let you know, honey.

That thing you said, about setting goals, is so true. I'm stomping the stuff out of my 50's at the moment, and realized that I haven't been to see the Great Pyramid yet, or the Sphinx, something I've dreamt about since I was 10.

I'd better get busy making some plans, huh?

You are a special guy, and you are aging like a fine wine, is all!

With hugs,

Zephie :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 12:39:43 am »
Dear Jim,

Thank you for posting this.  I remember our first B&W TV, it was an Emerson and we were still watching it when color TV came out.  My family was the 12th family in our town to get TV.

I was the first person in my family to graduate from college, Third Cousin Erik was the only other one.  Cousin Jim (Erik's Grandfather) used to tell a story about college.  If you don't mind, I'd like to share it now.

Barney got to go to college and there was a big family reunion during Spring Break.  Uncle Clem looks at Barney and sez, "say there Barney, what did you learn in that there fancy college?"  "Well Uncle Clem, I learned that pi are square."  Uncle Clem, quite perplexed replied, "Pie are not square you fool, pie are round, cornbread are square."

So, here I am, one of two people of a very large family to actually graduate from college, have had the ability to open doors and work with some very important people, become a mover and shaker and then lose it all to HIV/AIDS.  My 10 year anniversary of AIDS was June 26th and I have not been hired for any job since that day.  I have had interviews, the last one was last year, I flew through the application process, received a letter which said I was the highest qualified applicant and interviewed for Risk Manager I, a position which paid over $60,000.00 per year with full benefits.  I sailed through that interview with some of the most interesting people I had met in years.  I signed the release for background check which meant I was hired pending background investigation.  The Director of Safety walked me to the front door and since I have PN w/footdrop, the pain was excruciating and very noticeable.  My next letter said, Thank you for thinking of the County of Sonoma in your search for employment, a more qualified applicant has been found, good luck with your endeavors.

That very same County of Sonoma has no problems asking me to volunteer as a person living with HIV/AIDS for any number of committees.  My goal is to keep plugging away until every one of us gets a fair shot in regaining the life we once had or thought we wanted.  That goal may or may not be realistic but, I have a lot of time left in this world so it does not hurt to try.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »
sob(lol) their were 6 of us kids, one has died of a massive aneurysm and another disappeared; Daddy's gone, Mama's in a medicare nursing home, her mind is totally fried by mini strokes.  Life goes on;  Little things count though, like my ancient cat, Nish, she won't leave me and I her.  Even tiny things/goals when you are disabled help getting thru each day.  I guess as times go, this is a good time to be alive despite all the wars(cold and hot) that take it's toll.  I've always said technology would distroy or save us, I am partial to the later.  Many years ago I was working at a canoe rental with camp grounds a little river in Arkansas; a regular camper brought her young grandson with her often.  One night we were sitting on the bank fishing for catfish or whatever and he kept talking about how he hated and wanted to grow up and kill Russians.  I said, son, their is a beautiful little river just like this in Russia and a man and boy fishing, just as we are now; do you think that boy hates and wants to kill you.  The conversation went on for another minute or two and I looked around and his Grandmother was standing in the door of their camper and gave me thumbs up with a little tear in her eye.  This boys goal was killing, mine has always been living.  He didn't have a Father that he knew and his Grandparents took care of him cause his mother was a 'mutha'.  Maybe by chance that little boy grew up remembering what I said, I don't know moved back to Fl a year later.  Guess my point is, life can set UGLY goals in our minds; we must have and enjoy even the simplest, the flowers in Spring each year, a Summer rain; just to see the next one is another day of living.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.