Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:32:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 674
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cheap medication in thailand  (Read 7003 times)

Offline SongSg

cheap medication in thailand
« on: September 04, 2006, 02:28:50 pm »
Hi anyone knows where i can get cheap medication for me and my bf? im also helping some of my friends who are pos too to get medication but i simply do not know where to get it. :'(

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Re: cheap medication in thailand
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 06:00:09 pm »
SongSg,

hi and welcome aboard!

The only people I know involved in HIV care in Thailand are here: http://www.buddhanet.net/sangha-metta/project.html

maybe you can contact them and they can direct you.  But I would think that your doctor should know how the system works.
There are a few people on this forum who live in Thailand who will be able to help you more than I can.
Keep us posted on how you and your boyfriend manage.

Hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline SongSg

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
hey thanks for the reply. hope there are some thais who are able to help me here. i heard there is some buying group or ngo in bangkok that helps ppl to buy medication at a cheap rate?. anybody know who i can approach? is there a buying group at yr side too?
 :-\

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 01:58:09 pm »
Mai lu, buying groups seem to be more widespread in the US and I am not even sure they manage to get HAART drugs; vitamins I know they can. Gotta ask the many americans here ;)

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline joemutt

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:06:59 am »
I think the cheaper generics are destined to the people who live in Thailand, and that it might be hard to procure a prescription for them.
It isnt clear where you're writing from though.

Offline SongSg

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 08:39:28 am »
im writing from singapore.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 09:22:01 am »
Your country has a much higher standard of living than Thailand and an adequate National Health Service, pardon the confusion, but why wd you take away of the generics when there are not enough to go by for all patients in this country? Petition your government for Access for All.

Offline SongSg

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 12:19:38 pm »
dude, you do not understand the laws in singapore. we tried and failed. our coutry simply do not care abt us. it does not necessary mean that we have a higher standard of living means that everyone is rich. the rich gets richer the poor gets poorer. we are being left to die on our own.

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 01:27:01 pm »
Your country has a much higher standard of living than Thailand and an adequate National Health Service, pardon the confusion, but why wd you take away of the generics when there are not enough to go by for all patients in this country? Petition your government for Access for All.

same reasons as to why uninsured Americans are getting their prescription meds from Canada and Mexico.  There is no medical insurance or government health services in Singapore that will cover or subsidize the cost of HAART meds.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 12:53:18 am »
I asked my Dr (Paitoon Boonma) in Bangkok General Hospital.
He has patients from Singapore.

You'd need to go and see him (or another doctor or another hospital sa Bumrungrad, Siriraj, Rama 3); the last two are public hospitals , cheaper but tons of patients, I think all hospitals have websites, you cd contact them about rates, schedules)
(you cd fly to BKK on Airasia or anothe discount airline)

He suggests the following protocol;
-do bloodtest;
-depending on that; prescription of generic meds, start retroviral therapy;
-stay in BKK 2 weeks to see if you don't develop allergy against drugs (this doesn't mean you shd stay in hospital for two weeks, lots of cheap accomodation and shopping here  ;) ) ;

My bloodtest is 6monthly, app 5000 thb,
meds GPO VIR Z 250, this is 3 in one (nevirapine 200mg, lamivudine 150 mg, zidovudine-azt 250 mg), one pill in the morning , one in the evening, 3600 thb per month. I think this is the only three in one, there are other GPO VIR's (Government produced generics) I don't know their details. likely to be 2 in 1 and another separate.

Good Luck.

PS I e mailed the NHO in S'pore asking why they have no policy of providing for it's citizens but...no reply (yet?)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:56:13 am by joemutt »

Offline philo

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 01:22:36 pm »
I also need info about meds in thailand.  also I would like to talk with someone who live there.  I have been poz for nine months and havn't talked to any other poz people. 

Offline joemutt

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 03:01:02 pm »
you're more than welcome to send me a pm, you can do this by clicking the IM button right under my parakeet avatar.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.