Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 374
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Incident  (Read 26130 times)

Offline Possible?

Incident
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »
Would like to thank all of you for taking the time to listen and respond.
Need some comfort in regards to my “risk”.  I am female. Few weeks ago I was with a male of an unknown status. I shaved earlier that day (8 hours prior to incident). We we were together three times total that night. Condom used and blown up to check after each incident. My concern is that  he was using spit as a lubricant down when he was fingering me.  If he was infected and his saliva entered inside me through open cuts or just through the act could I be at risk?  Second question. I performed oral sex on him and when I brushed that night a spit out a little blood. I didn't know of any open wounds in my mouth prior to me brushing?
Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Incident
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:01:03 pm »
#1, saliva is not infectious. Period.

#2 Although from time to time we hear of someone claiming to have become infected through giving oral sex, under careful scrutiny those claims just don't hold up. Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

Secondly are the results from longterm studies of HIV-discordant couples. They have lots of mutual unprotected oral sex and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse. The results have been that thus far not a single sero-negative partner has become infected.

I don't see any need for worrying or testing on your part. Just make sure that everytime you have vaginal or anal intercourse your partner is always wearing a condom. Then you will be well protected.

Andy Velez

Offline Phoenius10

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:48:41 am »
I wouldn't go out and say saliva is not a source for transmitting HIV.  There's a good chance I got infected from saliva.  If so, the transmission occurred when it was rubbed on an open wound.  I won't go into anymore details than that, but the chances are high this is how I got infected.

But I agree, two people making out, its probably very low transmission can occur.  I've likely made out with, gave oral and swallowed lol many pos guys in the last 10 years and even with mildly bleeding gums from gingervitis, never got infected.  Just be careful of open wounds elsewhere and what you go and use as lube!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:54:28 am by Phoenius10 »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:17:10 am »
I wouldn't go out and say saliva is not a source for transmitting HIV.  There's a good chance I got infected from saliva.  If so, the transmission occurred when it was rubbed on an open wound.  I won't go into anymore details than that, but the chances are high this is how I got infected.

But I agree, two people making out, its probably very low transmission can occur.  I've likely made out with, gave oral and swallowed lol many pos guys in the last 10 years and even with mildly bleeding gums from gingervitis, never got infected.  Just be careful of open wounds elsewhere and what you go and use as lube!

If so, then yours is the first case that has ever been documented. I assume you have been documented?

Saliva contains over a dozen enzymes and proteins that inhibit HIV production. Nowhere in recorded case history has HIV been recorded as a transmission vector.

Not in petri dish science, simian science, or human vector science.

Sorry, but I am not only calling you on not having the authority to post here in AM I INFECTED (where the science of HIV is called upon far more stringently than in the other, more compassionate forums) but I am calling you out on your mode of infection.

You could NOT have been infected through saliva.

And if you WERE, then HIV is NOT INFECTIOUS. It is CONTAGIOUS. And those suffering from it (like yourself) should be protected from the general public through quarantine. Are you really going to go there? Against all scientific and epidemiologic evidence?

Because I would love to match science with science on this case.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:03 am »
I wouldn't go out and say saliva is not a source for transmitting HIV.  There's a good chance I got infected from saliva.  If so, the transmission occurred when it was rubbed on an open wound.  I won't go into anymore details than that, but the chances are high this is how I got infected.

But I agree, two people making out, its probably very low transmission can occur.  I've likely made out with, gave oral and swallowed lol many pos guys in the last 10 years and even with mildly bleeding gums from gingervitis, never got infected.  Just be careful of open wounds elsewhere and what you go and use as lube!

Kissing is not a risk for HIV transmission. And I don't believe you were infected from saliva.

Phoenius, it's nice that you want to help out here in Am I Infected but answering questions in this forum is restricted to AM Moderators and a handful of authorised members. Please don't post in this forum again.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and review the posting guidelines for Am I Infected.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 07:42:02 am »
Phoenius, as JK and Matty have already told you, the site has a rule that only those who are authorized to do so may reply to entries in the AM I INFECTED Forum. You are not so authorized.

You may believe you were infected through saliva, but as has also been pointed out, there has never been single confirmed case of transmission in that manner. However, I don't want to discuss that with you and further hijack this thread from its original purpose. So let's just be clear that you are not to write here again. Thanks for your cooperation.

As for the original questioner, my initial response still stands. You were not at risk and there is no need for testing. 
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:32:08 pm »
Ok, I am a little confused. I am not concerned over a kissing incident. I am concerned about saliva directly entering open cuts or the vagina.  Like, if is someone spit on there hand and then rubbed inside me. What about giving oral and maybe my mouth had an open cut and his semen went into it... I know one is involving saliva and the other is semen. Is saliva portion no chance of infection? And the oral LOW?

Thanks.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 08:21:45 pm »
Saliva is not infectious. As a matter of fact, saliva contains over a dozen elements that render HIV inactive.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:10:13 pm »
I just want to echo the accuracy of what JK has said to you. Saliva absolutely is not a risk for HIV transmission. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:47:09 pm »
Thank you for clarifying the saliva issue. If I  had a small cut or bleeding gums while giving oral should I be concerned?

Thanks

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:27:08 pm »
There is a theoretical risk is you are performing fellatio. However, both long term epidemiological studies and laboratory tests have been unable to reliably duplicate anecdotal patient study.

Welcome Thread

Offline Possible?

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 10:07:15 pm »
So even though my mouth was bleeding a little ( it always does when I brush) it's low low risk?

Offline Phoenius10

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:38:28 pm »
I see no reason I can't post here and warn others of my experiences and opinions based on how I think I got infected.  That's what this forum is for, to share information and let everyone form their own conclusions.

Now that that is out of the way, I never said I was without a doubt infected by saliva.  Why people are arguing with me saying I said that, I have no idea.  I didn't mean to rattle anyone's cage.  I just wanted to let people know my opinion of how I think I got infected.  I just can't rule it out yet, as much as I want to.  Also, I said it was saliva on an open wound, not kissing..  two very different things.  Who says blood wasn't in the saliva?

And for the record, any doctor would say it is theoretically possible someone could get infected by placing body fluids from an HIV infected individual on the open wound of another, no matter what studies say.  Just think, if you were neg, would you allow yourself to be a test subject to disprove this theory?  I think not.  HIV is in saliva and yes, proteins and enzyme may make it very unlikely to spread this way, but it's never been proven without a doubt it could not.  If these saliva studies were done with everyone having bleeding gums licking an open wound, I bet the results would be dramatically different.  And how can someone know if another has bleeding gums or not?  It's not like we inspect mouths before we kiss.

It's easy for anyone write off cases where saliva could have been the medium when it is so unlikely, just by saying "oh this guy is unreliable", "he was with someone else a few months before so who says that wasn't the cause?", etc.  But the fact remains, it has never been proven HIV cannot be spread through saliva, just that it isn't very likely.  And I've been unable to prove to myself yet that it wasn't the medium in my case.

Do you know that right now hiv+ people are still being convicted and sentenced to 20+ years prison terms for simply spitting at a police officer?  Now why would this be so if it was already proven IMPOSSIBLE to get infected this way?  Now I highly disagree with those verdicts of course, but it just proves what I am saying and how its unfair for others to be arguing with me over it.

So why can't I post my opinions and give the opposing viewpoint?  Do we want a forum that is censored by the moderators leaving only posts that they agree with?  Is there anything that I stated above that is wrong?  People need to hear both sides to form their own conclusions, no matter how much we all want one side to be right.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:41:32 pm by Phoenius10 »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 10:38:45 pm »
Exactly.

Welcome Thread

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 11:03:39 pm »
I see no reason I can't post here and warn others of my experiences and opinions based on how I think I got infected.  That's what this forum is for, to share information and let everyone form their own conclusions.

Now that that is out of the way, I never said I was without a doubt infected by saliva.  Why people are arguing with me saying I said that, I have no idea.  I didn't mean to rattle anyone's cage.  I just wanted to let people know my opinion of how I think I got infected.  I just can't rule it out yet, as much as I want to.  Also, I said it was saliva on an open wound, not kissing..  two very different things.  Who says blood wasn't in the saliva?

And for the record, any doctor would say it is theoretically possible someone could get infected by placing body fluids from an HIV infected individual on the open wound of another, no matter what studies say.  Just think, if you were neg, would you allow yourself to be a test subject to disprove this theory?  I think not.  HIV is in saliva and yes, proteins and enzyme may make it very unlikely to spread this way, but it's never been proven without a doubt it could not.  If these saliva studies were done with everyone having bleeding gums licking an open wound, I bet the results would be dramatically different.  And how can someone know if another has bleeding gums or not?  It's not like we inspect mouths before we kiss.

It's easy for anyone write off cases where saliva could have been the medium when it is so unlikely, just by saying "oh this guy is unreliable", "he was with someone else a few months before so who says that wasn't the cause?", etc.  But the fact remains, it has never been proven HIV cannot be spread through saliva, just that it isn't very likely.  And I've been unable to prove to myself yet that it wasn't the medium in my case.

Do you know that right now hiv+ people are still being convicted and sentenced to 20+ years prison terms for simply spitting at a police officer?  Now why would this be so if it was already proven IMPOSSIBLE to get infected this way?  Now I highly disagree with those verdicts of course, but it just proves what I am saying and how its unfair for others to be arguing with me over it.

So why can't I post my opinions and give the opposing viewpoint?  Do we want a forum that is censored by the moderators leaving only posts that they agree with?  Is there anything that I stated above that is wrong?  People need to hear both sides to form their own conclusions, no matter how much we all want one side to be right.

You are not permitted to post in AMI because it's contrary to the rules for this forum as outlined in the Welcome Thread.

AMI is not a forum for debate or discusssion of these issues. If you would like to have a discussion about your erroneous views concerning HIV transmission and saliva please take it to the Living With HIV forum.

Do not post in AMI again.

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:30 pm »
I not only concur with Matty, but extend his invitation to debate HIV science in the appropriate forums.

Welcome Thread

Offline Possible?

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:53 am »
Well, I am very confused now and starting to stress more.

My two concerns and issues were Saliva ( I guess with or without blood) entering the vagina or open cuts. And oral with potentially slightly bleeding gums.  I am a female who was with a male.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 12:12:33 am »
Possible,

Please disregard Phoenius' ill-considered and inaccurate posts. He should not be posting in your thread at all. I have referred his posts to the Moderators for review.

Saliva is not considered infectious. It doesn't matter if it has blood in it or not. You cannot contract HIV from a man performing oral sex on you or generally getting saliva inside your vagina.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 07:40:19 am »
Phoenius, I'll tell you exactly why you can't post your comments in this section. It is a rule of the site that only those who have been authorized to respond in this particular Forum are allowed to do so.

As I told you previously you are not allowed to respond in here. You don't have to like that rule but you do have to follow it.

If you do it again you are risking a Time Out or being banned from the site permanently.

Consider yourself warned.

Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:41 am »
Possible, I regret that you have been confused by Phoenius' incorrect and unsubstantiated remarks.

Matty has given you correct information. Saliva is absolutely not infectious. Nothing you did put you at risk for HIV transmission and there is no need for testing.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:35:19 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 08:40:56 am »
Even if there was blood in his mouth when he spite on his hand to use it as a lube on the condom going in me? I know that not likely anyways but now the thought is in my head. Does HIV "die" when exposed to air? Even in the form or blood? Any there is no need to test from my oral incident? Hopefully this will be my last post. Thanks for all your support.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 08:46:05 am »
HIV is a fragile virus. In relation to sexual activities, it requires the kind of receptive setting which happen during unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

Fears and doubts are not facts. There is nothing in HIV-science to support your concerns. There is no need for testing unless you finally can't let go of your worrying. You can waste resources if you want to and get tested to collect the inevitable negative result. Testing is unnecessary but that decision is up to you.
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »
In regards to oral, if there any difference between pre ejaculation and ejaculation? Does one pose more of a risk than the other? Example, no ejaculation in mouth?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »
As regards oral, no laboratory experimentation where HIv infected fluid is swabbed into a simian mouth to facilitate HIV infection has ever been duplicated in first tier, peer-reviewed epidemiological studies (that do not rely on inaccurate patient report).

No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS:  Volume 16(17)  22 November 2002  pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan

Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117

Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

Welcome Thread

Offline Possible?

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 09:47:16 pm »
In general , is pre ejaculation less of a risk than actual ejaculation?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »
In general , is pre ejaculation less of a risk than actual ejaculation?

Concentrations of HIV are higher in ejaculate than in pre-ejaculate.

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 10:26:25 pm »
In anal sex, not necessarily, as pre-ejaculate can contain high amounts of viral particles even when the ejaculate does not*.

But in regards to oral sex, you are asking for a quantification of an event that has, at best, the very shadiest of documentation. I could not imagine a competent scientist being able to give you an answer to that question, as the very POSSIBILITY of infection via oral sex has yet to be determined to a scientific certainty.

No one would ever say that anything is impossible. But were  you to be infected via this route of transmission, you would certainly be worth intensive case study, as you would be a rare specimen indeed, which just might hold the key to HIV prevention and a cure in your unusual framework.

In short, you simply do not get HIV through saliva. Period.

HIv does not remain active in saliva. Nor does HIV remain infectious when exposed to the air, to a latex condom, to a hand. It is transmitted when a viable particle meets a receptive blood or dendritic cell. These cells are concentrated in very few areas of the body, mainly the vagina, head of the penis and urethra, and interior of the anus.

You could not have gotten HIV through the experience you have shared, no matter what further details you give. Or rather, I should say, if you DID, then your experience does not mirror HIV's behaviour in primate or humanoid populations on this planet at this time.

Which is as close to a certainty as you are going to get, from anyone grounded in real science.

*this shedding occurs in a very small number of persons, as per the following source material. These studies also convey a marked difference between semen in HIv infected individuals in later stage HIV progression, or who have gone without medical intervention, and those who are on antiretrovirals.

Influencing HIV infectivity: the effect of antiviral treatment on the shedding of cell-free and cell-associated HIV in semen.
Int Conf AIDS 1998 Jun 28-Jul 3; 12:420 (abstract no. 23392)

Detection and biologic characterization of infectious HIV-1 in semen of seropositive men.
AIDS. 1994 Sep;8(9):1325-9. Unique Identifier : AIDSLINE MED/95101171
Vernazza PL; Eron JJ; Cohen MS; van der Horst CM; Troiani L; Fiscus SA; Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel; Hill.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:32:09 pm by jkinatl2 »

Welcome Thread

Offline Possible?

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 12:30:42 am »
The saliva issue is clear! I"m no longer concerned over the saliva ( although now worried about blood in it) but my oral incident is no call for concern either even though after i performed oral I brushed my teeth and I was bleeding a little ( just from brushing)?  Second question(just curious) When HIV blood is exposed to air it can no longer be infectious? After semen is exposed to air can it be infectious?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 06:19:28 am »
No one has been identified as infected with HIV due to contact with an environmental surface. Additionally, HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions, therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

http://www.aegis.com/news/pr/1998/pr980105.html

Offline Possible?

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:32 am »
Should I get tested if for maybe 10seconds prior to sex and putting the condom on he was rubbing the outside and area around of my vagina with his penis?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 01:12:34 pm »
Rubbing (frottage) is not a risk. Unprotected penetrative intercourse, both anal and vaginal, are the risks. It's really pretty simple. 
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »
Ok thanks. I was just worried because it seems like a risk because he would have some semen on his penis and it is technically touching my vagina opening just not "penetrative"

Thanks everyone for your support.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 04:25:21 pm »
You're welcome.

And now you need to let go of this and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »
I'm sorry. I am need a little more reassurance. Two weeks after the night I was writing about I got really sick. It seems different then when I normally get sick. My back muscles were really sore ( for no reason) and I had an unusual sore throat. It was really low in my throat ( near thyroid gland). It lasted for what seemed like forever about a week and a half and then as soon as the pain went away it was replaced by pain under my chin because every gland in this area was swollen and sensitive. It even hurt to turn my head and swallow. This lasted for 4 days but didn't happen till my throat felt better. So now I am really scared. I am finally back to normal but I have never had that type of pain from so many glands being swollen and never felt sick for suck a long time...... If anyone wouldn't mind reviewing my incident, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »
   Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 07:50:04 am »
There's nothing more to add. Whether you choose to accept it or not you did not have a risk. You have no scientifically-based reason to be concerned about HIV.

Your symptoms are not HIV-specific and are something you should discuss with your doctor. If you come back here again about the same concern you are going to get a 28 day Time Out. It's not our job to accompany you everytime you have another burst of anxiety.

We've given you the real deal. You didn't have a risk. Period.

Cut out the drama and get on with your life. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

Wondering
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 09:39:33 pm »
Can you get HIV from a male rubbing the tip of  his penis all around the female genitals?

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

Re: Wondering
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 09:46:42 pm »
Please keep all your thoughts questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Your questions will not be answered unless you return to your original thread

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 11:29:08 pm »
I've merged your threads here. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

No, you won't get HIV from rubbing your penis around the female genitals.

As you have been told before, the only confirmed risks for the transmission sexually of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Everything else is only theoretically risky.

Other STDs are much easier to acquire so if you are sexually active we do recommend that having a full STD panel done at least once a year is a good idea.
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

Wondering
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »
I am a very paranoid person and I'm sure my questions are odd, but wanted to know if someone who is HIV Positive could test HIV negative on rapid HIV test. I am from Canada (Ontario) where me and a partner went together to get the finger prick HIV tests done. It was administered at a health Unit. I was concerned because this person is/was always going to the doctors and getting elaborate testing of some sort  done. If someone is on medication for HIV would they test negative on finger tip rapid blood test? If they had just received certain vaccinations would they test negative even though positive? Would is be possible in any way ? Like is there anything someone can take who is HIV positive to made them test HIV negative?

Second question,

I read the forum on how HIV was transmitted but I was at a presentation being given from a local health unit to teenagers where they told them that condoms are not even a "sure thing" even if they don't break. That through the act of sex the sweat bring absorbed in the groin areas is also a risk of HIV/All STD's? That condoms are not as effective and safe as people think?

Thanks guys and gals for taking the time to help people like me out. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010, 04:37:30 pm »
You have been asked before this to follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I've merged your current question with the previous thread. This is the only thread you should be using.

If someone who is positive is on medications, they will still test positive. None of the other concerns you are voicing would affect the accuracy of an HIV test. If someone is positive they are always going to test positive even if their viral load is "undetectable."

Sweat is not a risk for HIV transmission. A condom properly worn will provide very effective protection against HIV transmission. In this world nothing is 100% safe sexually other than using your own hand on yourself.

You need to know we are not going to go on another round of what ifs with you. You have not had a risk for HIV, there is no need for testing. By now you ought to be well aware that the only risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. If you continue to return here with more what ifs you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010, 07:03:09 pm »
Sorry about the not posting correctly, I thought if it was a new topic then to start a new topic.

Is there anything that would/could affect the accuracy of an HIV test in terms of someone who is positive, testing negative.

I am trying to protect myself, thats all. I'm not looking to go for another round of what if's , I just want to know if someone who is positive could do/take something to produce a negative test result.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 10:33:04 pm »
No.
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

Worried
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 05:43:44 pm »
A few weeks ago, I noticed I had a couple sores down there. I went to a health clinic to get it looked at and swabbed. Because the results take so long to come back (10days) I searched online to see if rapid herpes tests were available. I found a place that told them online. The place was located in Toronto, Ontario so I called to see if I could purchase one from there building location instead of having it mailed. I also asked if I would be able to take the test there so that I could have assistance with the process to make sure I did it correct. They said they typically didn't do that, but If I was concerned they would. I went in. The person gave me a needle and and told me to prick my sores with it and then swab the area. I wanted to repeat the test to make sure everything was good and he gave me a different looking needle to use, one that was already out instead of the one that you press a button which shoots out a needle. I was kinda creeped out but used the needle anyway. I am worried that it wasn't clean, or that it had something on it or something. This place seemed to be like a lab type weird place. I was worried the place tested their products there (they also had rapid saliva tests for HIV) and I am now worried that I pricked myself multiple times on sores down there with a dirty or infected needle.......

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Wondering
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2011, 06:18:44 pm »
Please keep all your thoughts questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Your questions will not be answered unless you return to your original thread

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Once again I have merged your threads and I am going to remind you again that you need to follow our rule and keep all of our entries in this same thread.

As for your latest concern it is just another example of your marked tendency to create drama about HIV when it is completely unnecessary to do so. HIV is not passed in the manner about which you are worried. You have no basis in fact to think that HIV infected needle(s) was being passed along to you.

As for herpes, you should be discussing that issue with your doctor. We deal only with HIV here.

And once again yours is not an HIV situation. If you attempt to pursue this further here you are going to get a Time Out from the site.   
Andy Velez

Offline Possible?

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »
I am losing my mind. I know i struggle with these type of issues and I'm sorry. I recently was diagnosed with herpes. It came out a few days after i was with my partner where we did not use condoms and had sex multiple times over the weekend. Prior to this, my partner was out of town on at a bachelor party where he says for sure nothing happened, clearly i have trust issues now. He knows i worry lots about this stuff, and he did go get an HIV test down after I asked him to once i found out about the herpes. he tested negative. After about 3 days of being off the herpes medication, i started getting intense pain in one side of my head, and a CT scan revealed that I have encephalitis.  My understanding is that this is a very RARE condition, generally found in infants and elderly and people with compromised immune systems. Herpes is a cause of it, but not normally unless there is something more...... Now i am horrified that i got HIV the same weekend as herpes.....
I tested 24 days after the last time i was with my partner, and it was negative. I just am so scared now.. I know i put myself at risk...and i will continue to test...  would getting herpes make my body take longer to develop/test positive to hiv? Does negative at 24 days after exposure give any comfort.... so stressed.... 

Offline Possible?

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 06:29:13 pm »
to add to my last post, I have also had severe diarrhea for 2 days now and nausea for 4 days now. No fever..37.5 is the highest my temperature has been. It has now been 27 days since my incident.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2011, 09:23:45 am »
Possible,

Herpes will not have any effect on your hiv testing.

Any negative result is a good one, but yours is not conclusive. You should test again at six weeks past your last incident of unprotected intercourse.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

If you have trust issues with your partner, perhaps you should be insisting on condoms every time you have intercourse.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Possible?

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »
Thanks Ann,

Are my symptoms pretty certain that I have it? encephalitis? vomiting, steady nausea, etc?

Offline Possible?

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »
An
other question,
" the average time to seroconversion being only 22" does this mean they would test positive at this time too? I am going to get tested no matter what, I'm just wondering?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.