Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:56:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 634
Total: 635

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV & Aging  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Delby

HIV & Aging
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:04:46 am »
There has been so much talk recently about how people with HIV should expect 'normal' life expectancy, but there has been little attention or consideration for what quality of life we may expect.

As i age (coming up to 8 yrs since my diagnosis), I worry about my future. It's not enough for me to simply be alive, if the quality of my life is so far diminished that it may be argued it's not worth being alive. I'm not at that point in life, but i can't help but think about my future. I have a wife and young kids and I worry for them if they are going to have to spend their lives looking after me. I have too much pride for that.

I am eternally grateful for the meds we have today. I am eternally grateful to be alive whilst so many others before me have died. But I want to know whether you believe it is possible to live 50 yrs or more poz in good health. Or should we expect a barrage of ailments and illnesses and we'll simply be hanging on by a thread. Perhaps those of us that came through the 80's and 90's suffer maladies that are a result of earlier medication types. Maybe for someone diagnosed in the 21st century, then it is possible to live a long, normal and healthy life?

Do you think it is possible or is there simply no way of answering this question until we've seen another 40-50yrs of data? My doctor in the UK seems to think HIV is completely manageable and we should all expect a very long and healthy life. He would much rather have HIV than diabetes. I don't know...sometimes I feel the my Doctor is simply trying to make the best of a bad situation and ensure his patients feel positive in mind.

What do you think?

Delby

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: HIV & Aging
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:40:35 am »
Going from an old post of yours I can tell you are 35. My feeling is that positive or negative anyone can begin having medical issues after 40 with greater frequency. At the age of ~45 I developed serious podiatry issues which have, in turn, caused huge amounts of nerve damage -- it's not really anything to do with HIV, more an inherited/maternal side issue that just happens to demand a lot of my time (many times over more doctor's visits than HIV), large amounts of pain, etc. and has greatly impacted my life. Meanwhile my HIV is indeed "manageable" if you go by my lab numbers for the most part. But that can change quickly as I am seeing from my liver numbers -- out of range but not sky high so no bad damage, but I am 50 and have been on HIV meds for over two decades.

btw, the post where I found your age is dated in 2007 and you happen to bring up some of the same "quality vs. quantity" issues. Nobody can answer these questions for you -- what's going to happen to me and when, so why keep asking them. Worry about health issues as they arrive, don't worry about nothing for seven years. Constant worry and anxiety is worse in terms of "quality" than these other things you seem fixated on. Just my opinion.

ps: your doctor is correct in the most simplistic terms -- HIV controlled as measured by lab numbers; he's glossing over the myriad things that can happen to a patient, but mostly because there's not way to anticipate them or give anyone great statistics on what happens to how many people at what age. But yes, indeed you can possibly expect, for example, things like arthritis to occur in your body a decade or two before the age your parents had them.

Bad things happen to negative people you know -- I just had a close HIV-negative friend die of uterine cancer at age 44 and another die a decade ago at 39 from pancreatic cancer. Such is life.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:25:30 pm »
Until there is the evidence from at least one whole generation then this ? cannot be answered in any complete way. Fear off what the future will bring is a universal fear , we all have to keep it in its proper place . If you are doing all you can to remain healthy , do all you can to keep it in a mind closet and get on with the here and now.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
There has been so much talk recently about how people with HIV should expect 'normal' life expectancy, but there has been little attention or consideration for what quality of life we may expect.

What do you think?

Delby

There is constant attention to quality of life.  There is research going on all the time.  There are always threads in this forum, every month it seems there is an active one about this topic.   So this "little attention"???  Maybe you haven't paid attention.  Maybe because its too stressful for you and feeds your doubts, fears and anxieties.

Is there something going wrong in your quality of life that is bringing you down?

Other than that, I ditto Miss P and Theyer.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 05:26:09 pm »
Even though each "generation" of people living with HIV may bring along different challenges we are all guinea pigs to some extent. HIV and it's treatment has only been around for a bit over 30 years but there has been major progress along the way. 

Personally, having lived with the bugger for over 30 years has long ago taught me to deal with any crap as it comes as Miss P. and Theyer have said. Even having been on some of the old "bad" meds and the length of time living with the virus I can say that my life has been a charmed one so far for the most part and I have every intention of living many, many more years to come. If for some reason that doesn't happen? Oh well. Hopefully I will be a happy cookie when it comes time to crumble.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:46 pm »
The 'quality' of your life is largely in your own hands  25 years into my infection I would have said I didn't have good quality of life, but 29 years in I do.

What's changed? Cut out the fags, increased exercise, greater social mixing, better food, doing some vocational study (getting ready to re-enter the workforce), getting out of an abusive relationship. It's taken a LOT of conscious effort and that all started with Neuro Linguistic Programming and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to stop my mind from holding me back.

The cd4s have shot up to an amazing 140.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:59:02 pm »

As i age (coming up to 8 yrs since my diagnosis), I worry about my future.

What do you think?

Take the HIV out of your statement and anyone in the world, hiv positive or not could have written that.  As people age, they worry about quality of life.   As you age your going to have more and more medical problems, just like everyone else.  That's life.

Exercise every day, eat right, laugh, have lots of sex, go on trips, learn something new, treat people well and when you die hopefully you'll have no regrets. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline AusShep

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 05:29:54 pm »

What's changed? Cut out the fags, ...

Man, I was really offended on so many levels before I realized you meant stopped smoking  :D

Offline pittman

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:35:17 pm »
Man, I was really offended on so many levels before I realized you meant stopped smoking  :D

Same thought here. If he meant smokes, no problem. If he meant the other, then my only response is "like hell I will!"  :P

Offline harleymc

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 06:12:16 pm »
LOL LOL LOL AusShep and pittman.
I'd forgotten that some parts of the world call us big old poofters "fags".

I'm definatley not cutting out sex with men from my life.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.