Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:17:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 288
Total: 288

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Researchers Induce HIV-neutralizing Antibodies against envelope protein+ lipids  (Read 5208 times)

Offline J220

From http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090901143319.htm , research conducted by the U.S. Military, no less! Hope this pays out.

Researchers Induce HIV-neutralizing Antibodies That Recognize HIV-1 Envelope Protein, Lipids

ScienceDaily (Sep. 1, 2009) — For the first time, researchers have experimentally induced antibodies that neutralize HIV-1 and simultaneously recognize both HIV-1 envelope protein and lipids. The results were reported by U.S. Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) researchers on Aug. 25 in the online version of AIDS, the official journal of the International AIDS Society.

The lead investigators, Dr. Gary Matyas and Dr. Carl Alving, researchers in the Division of Retrovirology, MHRP, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR), and their collaborators, conducted the exploratory study using small synthetic HIV-1 peptides encapsulated in liposomes containing lipid A as an adjuvant.

The monoclonal antibodies, produced after immunizing mice, have binding characteristics that look similar to two well-known broadly neutralizing human monoclonal antibodies, known as 2F5 and 4E10, which also bind to HIV-1 protein and lipid. These antibodies, 2F5 and 4E10, are widely viewed as models of the types of neutralizing antibodies that might be useful in an effective HIV-1 vaccine. Until now, the HIV field has been unable to induce neutralizing antibodies that have both protein-binding and lipid-binding characteristics similar to 2F5 or 4E10. This study employed widely used, clinically acceptable, well-tolerated and relatively inexpensive generic antigen-adjuvant constituents that potentially could be used as part of a human formulation.

Dr. Carl Alving, Chief of the Department of Adjuvant and Antigen Research, said, "Some of the strongest naturally occurring antibodies that broadly neutralize HIV have the unique characteristics of recognizing both HIV protein and lipid. It has been believed that it might be difficult to induce such antibodies experimentally, and historically, this has been considered a potential roadblock to creation of an effective HIV vaccine. This study demonstrates that such antibodies might be induced with immuno-stimulating liposomes."
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline veritas

J220,

Nice find! Dr. Alving is part of the CHAVI group. Duke university researchers was the group that found the 2F5 and 4E10 antibodies to use with anti-ps antibodies in their quest for a vaccine and cure. This recent find has to be good!

Here's the study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19710597?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The above study was built on the findings of Dr.Haynes et al. at Duke. See this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19640992?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

"The work goes on!"

It's Happening

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Nice.

I didn't know that there's a US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP)

LINK:

http://www.hivresearch.org/

Offline veritas

Inch,

The military's research is extensive, look at all the partners:

http://www.hivresearch.org/partners/index.html
(from your link).

v

Offline PozBrian

There sure is. I use an ID clinic at a Navy medical center, When I started I was told they have about 500 in the program there. Once their infection is under control, the active duty folks fly in every 6 months for a week of check ups and counseling. I'm really glad I'm there. For some reason, the military medical community has been pretty active in research, treatment and countering the social aspects for a long time. The clinic has 5 ID Drs, a full time social worker and an psychologist, plus various research assistants and corpsmen.  They do all sorts of infectious diseases of course and travel medicine, but I think HIV is their largest population.

http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/patient/health_care/clinical_support/hiv/index.aspx

Gotta love socialized medicine.
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline veritas

Inch,

I can see where the confusion would come in, however, I wanted to incorporate that link into this thread since the study was done under the CHAVI umbrella. Sorry for the confusion.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Ok, goctha ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.