Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 11:28:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AZT Resistance Question and Others  (Read 2773 times)

Offline BigPlans

AZT Resistance Question and Others
« on: December 14, 2006, 02:49:46 pm »
Hello - I was just diagnosed 2 months ago and have never had any kind of treatment.  My doctor did a "genotype" or something and it showed some resistance to AZT.  I've tried to look that up, but I'm not sure what that means?  I know it means that they won't use AZT when I start treatment.  But is it a horrible thing?  Nothing to be particularly concerned about? What exactly?  Are other medications just as effective for those first going on treatment?  Any help would be appreciated.

The doctor is considering starting treatment even though my T cells are in the low normal range and my VL is <3,000 - because I've had constant diarrhea for 5 months now (started after taking a round of antibiotics for pulled tooth).  As long as I take something (pepto, immodium or lomodil) my stomach is perfectly normal.  He said that because we are trying to stop the diarrhea and not as concerned with the levels, that it may be okay to start treatment, get my stomach on track and then stop again.  I know that most things I'm reading say that once you start, it's better to keep going.  Anyway, I'm very new to all this and if anyone else has expertise or can explain the AZT resistance and if it is something that I should be very concerned about?

Also - is there anyone else who has struggled with diarrhea before starting treatment?  My doctor gave me a study which seems to suggest that it is "an immunte reaction mounted in the mucosa by the host against its own HIV infected cells".  I'd like to hear if anyone else had this initital reaction and if the diarrhea corrected itself or if you started treatment for that.
Thanks!
BigPlans

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: AZT Resistance Question and Others
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 09:22:03 pm »
Hello BP -

I am no expert - having just been recently diagnosed, but am learning almost everyday.  From what I understand a genotype test tells your doctor what  medication to avoid because it will not be effective for you.

Because I had some "OI's" or opportunistic infections I couldn't start HIV treatment until they were under control which is similar to what your doctor is doing in trying to stabilize you before starting an HIV med. I was/have been lucky not to have the diarrhea problem yet so can't say much about that.

When I met with my doctor to discuss my AIDS treatment she said my genotype indicated that I had no resistance to any of the HIV meds...at least not yet.  She also went through all the medications and we decided to start me out on Atripla, which for me has worked well as far as side effects so far.

As you can see from my numbers below - I should be dead really since I have such a low CD4 count (which has actually improved and that was before I started on Atripla) and a really high viral load.

From what I know about the medications, it isn't uncommon for us to start with a resistance to some or develop a resistance as time goes on and have to change.  There are quite a few choices for you to try other than AZT I would guess. 

As you read more of the forums you'll see a lot of references to people who have had to switch from one medication to another as their bodies have developed a resistance to the medication.  It is pretty individual though as I have seen people who have had the same meds for over 10 years.

Anyway like I said I still have a lot to learn and this is pretty good place to get information.  I am sure others will have better feedback for you.

I wish you good luck and hope you're able to get the information you need - like they say, fear of the unknown is one of the hardest things to deal with - so arm yourself with as much info as you can.

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 10:30:39 pm »
It would be helpful to know what exactly the genotype showed to make an assessment of how extensive (or not) the resistance is.  If it's really just AZT resistance, there are several other options to choose from.  But the other thing to remember is some resistance generated against AZT may cause cross-resistance to other nukes.  That's why it's important to know the actual resistant genotypes in order to make that determination.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 12:42:01 am »
I had diarrha for about 2 years before starting meds.  Of course, I did not start meds until I was discharged from the hospital after a bout of PCP and MAC.  My CD4 was 22 and 2% and my VL was off the scale.  Since my numbers have bounced back VL = undetectable and cd4 of 450 and 22% all my gastrointestinal issues are gone! 
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.