Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:50:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: first appointment with a psyciatrist this afternoon...  (Read 7314 times)

Offline mitch777

first appointment with a psyciatrist this afternoon...
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:01:27 am »
hi,

well, the stress, anxiety, and depression has finally got too much.

this will be new for me and i'm not really sure that i can open up to a complete stranger.
i don't think i have any issues discussing the "facts", such as my HIV status, but talking about emotions is another matter.
i tend to put on my happy face but think this would not be too productive, especially with a phyciatrist.
hope she is good and makes it easier for me.

do they really have a sofa in the room? :-\

should be interesting.

mitch
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: first appointment with a psyciatrist this afternoon...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »
Hope you find it valuable.

If you think therapy can be useful, and the first session(s) with this one are not interesting, you might need to test another psychiatrist.  The first one you visit might not be a good match.

I think its only the headshrinkers who do old fashioned "psychoanalysis" who are still using the couch or divan.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline roy100

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:45:28 pm »
You are placed in a confortable enviroment.
Just talk to him or her, as if you did with your best friend.
Remember, its costing money, so might as well get your mones worth.

So think every posssible thing you would like to tell him/her, it might be relevant.

Greetings
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »
Mitch,

I understand where you are coming from.

I am also considering making an appointment as I need to talk to someone objective.

I hope your session goes well.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »
thanks for the support!

i just got back from my appointment and it went great!
(no sofa, but 2 comphy chairs to choose from :))

she recognized me from work. (i have bearly worked the past 5 years) (self-employeed retail business that my hubby now runs) i didn't remember her. (brain fog)

she couldn't have made me feel more comfortable. yeah! :)

it was just a first visit, but i am encouraged that she will provide the help i need.

funny, but true:
when i got home i called her and left a message on her voicemail with the phone # of another one of my docs. i thanked her again and said "see you next tuesday".
(my next appointment) OOPS! hope she didn't catch that.

foot-in-mouth once again. tee hee.

mitch

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »
If you are seeing a psychiatrist I wouldnt expect too much talk therapy.  Psychiatrists are usually clinical and interested in prescribing and monitoring medication.

Psychologists or Therapists usually engage in talk therapy, discussing your feelings and such, and is more apt to having a compfy couch to relax  on.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mitch777

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 04:12:10 pm »
no couch but was surprised to see the stirrups!
guess she tends to want to dig deep. ;D

she IS into talk therapy too!
that is why i think i liked her so much. :)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »
If you are seeing a psychiatrist I wouldnt expect too much talk therapy.  Psychiatrists are usually clinical and interested in prescribing and monitoring medication.

Psychologists or Therapists usually engage in talk therapy, discussing your feelings and such, and is more apt to having a compfy couch to relax  on.

This is not a good summary.  There are plenty of M.D. shrinks who do talk therapy.  Whether one person's insurance wants to pay for talk therapy is another matter.  I have on and off seen M.D. shrinks for years.  70's. 80's. 2000. and now 10's.  In three different countries. I have never found that there are no shrinks who do talk therapy.  Sometimes there are not ENOUGH shrinks doing talk therapy, to meet the needs of a certain population.  Also, many American insurance plans want nothing to do with paying shrinks for talk therapy.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 06:11:05 am »
Also, many American insurance plans want nothing to do with paying shrinks for talk therapy.

Yep, and it's pretty odd (if you ask me), considering study after study has shown that talk-therapy (with or without meds) has the best long-term results over meds alone.

Mitch, I'm glad to hear it went well and you feel you have a good fit with your therapist. That's important.

Strange about the stirrups though! Wonder if she also has a strap-on? My kind of woman if she does. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 08:31:39 am »
i didn't check her closet Ann, but i suspect that red-headed vixen has lots of surprises in store. ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:45:23 am »
i didn't check her closet Ann, but i suspect that red-headed vixen has lots of surprises in store. ;D

Heh. Keep us posted. ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 11:48:25 pm »
Mitch, glad you took the step to see someone, after realizing it would be beneficial.  And, I'm glad it went well. 

I think I was more at ease to discuss being gay and poz, because my therapist is also gay and has been seeing poz patients since the 80's.  I think I would actually like to sprawl out on the couch, but he has this antique couch that is not very comfy..lol. 

My advice would be to use this time to talk about everything you want to talk about, and even the things you don't.  We often don't want to burden our friends and family with this stuff.  And, we don't want to seem like the world revolves around us, because it doesn't.  So, your therapy time is the time to have the world revolve around you.  I mean, unless a person already has an issue of being narcissistic.  ;)

Another bit of advice would be to not leave out details.  If there is some issue that you have fault in, acknowledge that.  I've learned to do that.  By examining things that I've done that may have contributed to an argument or distance with a loved one, I learn how I can hopefully change my behavior--even with very difficult people.  There was also a defining event in my life that I was too embarrassed to talk about.  It was only after several visits that I finally brought it up.  I finally decided that this event has had such an impact on my life, and makes up a big part of my problems, that it would be unfortunate not to discuss it.   

I know many of us go to discuss being poz and all that comes with that, but I've realized there are other topical things that come up that I would like to discuss.  At this point, I need to get back to the poz issue, because I have gotten side tracked with other issues.  Well, side tracked with other important issues. 

Offline britchick

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 02:42:24 am »
mitch777

Hi!Im so glad that you took this step.I find that its easier to talk to someone who is not part of the family......When we bury thoughts they never go away, when we talk to someone....its a relief......all this from me....I said that  i would never do it and  i did!

All the best

Britchickx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.