Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:00:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 448
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switched from Atripla & Started Complera Today!  (Read 4437 times)

Offline RobbyR

Switched from Atripla & Started Complera Today!
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:15:30 pm »
Today I had my doc appointment & it went well, but after telling her about my periodic problems falling asleep at night, and getting a decent night's sleep, she decided to switch me off of Atripla, and put me on Complera. I was prepared for this suggestion, and I am feeling both excited and anxious about starting a new medication. I have been on Atripla for over two years, and it was the only medicine I had ever taken, and I did very well on it mostly, other than the sleep issues and occasional dizziness. My doctor told me that Complera is in the same class as my Atripla, only it does not have Sustiva in it. So she seemed to think it would be worth trying, and I agreed. So I decided to go for it! I do like the fact that I can take it any time of day I want, and don't have to take it before bedtime anymore, and that it is still one pill a day! So I'm hoping for the best! My doc told me that Complera is so similar to Atripla that is sometimes referred to as "B-tripla". So I decided to go with Complera as opposed to other regimens because it is not a PI, and doesn't have the sustiva which I suspect has caused me to have problems sleeping at times.

Just wondering if anyone else on here has made the switch from Atripla to Complera? Any bits of advice anyone who's taking Complera can give me? I remember I was nervous as hell before I started Atripla, but I am much less nervous now, because the drugs are so similar. I took my first one a couple hours ago, and am feeling a bit weird and loopy and tingly now but not in a bad way. I know it will take a few weeks for the sustiva to leave my system, so I expect some period of adjustment. I'm just hoping for the best and that this regimen works as well as Atripla did for 2 years. And hopefully better nights sleep! Wish me luck everyone!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
Re: Switched from Atripla & Started Complera Today!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
Today I had my doc appointment & it went well, but after telling her about my periodic problems falling asleep at night, and getting a decent night's sleep, she decided to switch me off of Atripla, and put me on Complera. I was prepared for this suggestion, and I am feeling both excited and anxious about starting a new medication. I have been on Atripla for over two years, and it was the only medicine I had ever taken, and I did very well on it mostly, other than the sleep issues and occasional dizziness. My doctor told me that Complera is in the same class as my Atripla, only it does not have Sustiva in it. So she seemed to think it would be worth trying, and I agreed. So I decided to go for it! I do like the fact that I can take it any time of day I want, and don't have to take it before bedtime anymore, and that it is still one pill a day! So I'm hoping for the best! My doc told me that Complera is so similar to Atripla that is sometimes referred to as "B-tripla". So I decided to go with Complera as opposed to other regimens because it is not a PI, and doesn't have the sustiva which I suspect has caused me to have problems sleeping at times.

Just wondering if anyone else on here has made the switch from Atripla to Complera? Any bits of advice anyone who's taking Complera can give me? I remember I was nervous as hell before I started Atripla, but I am much less nervous now, because the drugs are so similar. I took my first one a couple hours ago, and am feeling a bit weird and loopy and tingly now but not in a bad way. I know it will take a few weeks for the sustiva to leave my system, so I expect some period of adjustment. I'm just hoping for the best and that this regimen works as well as Atripla did for 2 years. And hopefully better nights sleep! Wish me luck everyone!

I've been on Complera for just over a month and have had no issues. Just make sure to take it with at least a 400 calorie meal.  They have some meal suggestions on their site, and the specificly point out that protein shakes or bars do not count.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:55 pm »
Thanks WindySkies. I will make sure and take it with a large meal. Thanks for pointing out that protein shakes/bars do not count, because I use a lot of those when I workout, and they are loaded with calories. I'm hoping I adjust well to Complera, so far I feel fine after taking my first dose. I suspect because it's so similar to Atripla that I will adjust very easily to it. I hope Complera helps me sleep better at night. Do you sleep okay on it?

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »
Thanks WindySkies. I will make sure and take it with a large meal. Thanks for pointing out that protein shakes/bars do not count, because I use a lot of those when I workout, and they are loaded with calories. I'm hoping I adjust well to Complera, so far I feel fine after taking my first dose. I suspect because it's so similar to Atripla that I will adjust very easily to it. I hope Complera helps me sleep better at night. Do you sleep okay on it?

I take mine at 9:00am after I get home from the gym, so I don't know that it affects my sleep at all.  I've never had any real issues in the month or so I have been taking it.  During the day I never have any issues of how I feel, if anything I have more energy now, but that's probably due to the 1.5 miles I swim every morning.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline scotty54

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 02:34:26 pm »
I took Atripla for more than six years.  Numbers were good, but I was not getting into a deep sleep pattern.  I would often wake up repeatedly through the night.
Made the switch in Sept. As the Sustiva component lessened gradually I began to sleep better with less interruptions.  It took 8-9 weeks to really see a substantial improvement.  I have had some of the increased gas/flatulence....think of the bellow of the Queen Mary leaving port  lol

Other than that it was a good change for me.  Wish you well

I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline Wahoo1

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:45:59 pm »
I have been taking complera for 10 months. It has been my first med after diagnosis. I had mild side effects once starting. Late day mild headache, dizziness, mild rash the week I started and the most annoying issue being awake most nights from 3-5am.  The sleep issue persisted after the other effects were gone after a month or so.  After about 5-6 months the sleeping problem went away and knock on wood doesn't show up again.  I know the problem could be associated with anxiety about initial diagonosis but i believe it to have been the med.  I take med with lunch each day and have been UD since starting with cd4s climbing steady.  I'm very happy with and I'm glad I stuck it out through the sleeping problem. I guess u have to stick it out in many cases.  I wish u luck.
Same amount of fart frequency here guys.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 08:54:35 pm »
So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any noticeable side effects from Complera. Maybe slight fatigue, but nothing major. The main adjustment so far has been getting mentally used to a totally different routine taking my meds. Complera doesn't have to be taken at bedtime, or on empty stomach, although it does have to be taken with 400 calories, which I'm trying to do. I am taking it with breakfast, usually with frosted mini wheats, two pop tarts, and juice. Sleep is okay, still not totally up to par, but I suspect as the sustiva leaves my system this will improve. I kind of hated to say goodbye to Atripla, because it kept me undetectable and healthy for so long. But I know Complera is very similar, thats why they call it "B-tripla". So I will anxiously await my next labs and see how I do on it. Given that I am undetectable and my numbers are good, I should do fine on it. I do worry a bit that the Complera might not be as powerful as other regimens, but as long as it keeps my numbers under control or major side effects. Atripla was the first med I was ever on, and it allowed me to gain some much needed weight, I was terribly skinny before I started meds. So I hope the Complera will allow me to keep my weight and not lose any. Time will tell I suppose. But my doc did say if for some reason I change my mind I can switch back to Atripla anytime, but for now I am going to test it out and give Complera a chance! And if I sleep better, then great!

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.