Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:04:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 461
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Possible reservoirs' purging agent in "a year from now or even less"???  (Read 6866 times)

Offline leit

Possible reservoirs' purging agent in "a year from now or even less"???
Slip, hint, my misunderstanding, WHAT?

In "Mexico City Notebook", Jon Cohen, correspondent for Science magazine, provided daily insights and observations from the XVII International AIDS Conference, and answered viewers' questions in interviews with the Kaiser Family Foundation's Jackie Judd.

The August 6 transcript reads (page 3-4):

------------
JON COHEN: Well, what Silicano [Siliciano] did was he made, in the test tube, one of these sleeping cells infected with HIV. So now his lab and I suspect others, will start testing different agents to see whether they can find one that specifically wakes up those kinds of cells and leaves the other ones alone.

JACKIE JUDD: And I have asked you this earlier in the week about other issues we have talked about, timetable, years.

JON COHEN: Well, no - [Interposing]

JACKIE JUDD: Decades?

JON COHEN: - No, the nice thing about this is if this test that his lab has developed is robust, which other labs can pretty quickly decide in months, they can have an agent identified, I would guess a year from now or even less than that. They could come up with an agent that they can start to test. Then getting to the answer, it takes longer.
------------

The relevant webcast starts at 2'38".

PLEASE, could somebody check the accuracy of the transcript, expecially of the underlined part?

Thanks a lot!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:22:06 am by leit »

Offline Iggy

Re: Possible reservoirs' purging agent in "a year from now or even less"???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:35:00 am »
Leit,

Is it possible that within a year they can come up with an agent to use in lab tests?  Absolutely.  However timetables for lab test agents do not equal how long before it has a practical application.

Please remember there is a significant difference between lab reports/research,  and human clinical trials - let alone practical application for general population who are infected. 

It also might be good to keep this kind of question and all related issues dealing with Siciliano reports in that thread you had already started so that others can keep track of all related information in one thread.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:37:12 am by Iggy »

Offline leit

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:25:28 am »
Is it possible that within a year they can come up with an agent to use in lab tests?  Absolutely.  However timetables for lab test agents do not equal how long before it has a practical application.
Please remember there is a significant difference between lab reports/research,  and human clinical trials - let alone practical application for general population who are infected.

Iggy, PLEASE, don't start that again!!!

I know PERFECTLY all what you explained. And I wasn't looking for another lecture of yours, but ASKING FOR A FAVOUR: a native English-speaking person who checked the accuracy of the part of transcript I've quoted above. Neither more nor less.

(BTW, speaking of favours, did you note that I gave you the address of the "wonder woman" study you wished?)

It also might be good to keep this kind of question and all related issues dealing with Siciliano reports in that thread you had already started so that others can keep track of all related information in one thread.

I don't think so. In that thread there is what Siliciano actually said. In this one a Science magazine correspondent's interpretation/forecast. VERY different things, IMHO.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:12:36 pm »
Leit,

I think your thread headline is misrepresenting the research being discussed.  This is not personal and I am not lecturing.  I'm sorry if you are taking it that way.

Modify:  I was specifically responding btw to your invitation for clarication, "Possible reservoirs' purging agent in "a year from now or even less"???
Slip, hint, my misunderstanding, WHAT?"

I don't get the wonder woman reference btw as I didn't ask for any study link nor does your response on that thread seem to relate to my specific post on that thread.  Are you confusing me with someone else?

Finally, I see that you are asking for an native English speaking person in your last post, which is making me wonder what is your native language?  Perhaps a lot of the miscommunication going on is a language barrier issue?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:16:37 pm by Iggy »

Offline leit

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:40:58 pm »
I don't get the wonder woman reference btw as I didn't ask for any study link nor does your response on that thread seem to relate to my specific post on that thread.  Are you confusing me with someone else?

1) From http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22561.msg287425#msg287425 -  by Iggy:

The full report: Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 from a Patient Who Developed AIDS to an Elite Suppressor  is available as a link at the end of the Kaiser article, if one has a subscription to the Journal of Virology, which unfortunately I do not...(hint hint to any who does and who wants to review and provide more details)

2) From http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22561.msg287855#msg287855 - by me:

http://www.natap.org/2008/HIV/081508_01.htm (link incorporated in the underlined part of the post)

FAREWELL FOR EVER, IGGY!

Offline leit

-
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »
-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:45:12 pm by leit »

Offline georgep77

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 01:35:05 pm »
Cat fight !!!!

:) meow
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline Iggy

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:10:28 pm »
Leit,

My bad.  I didn't even realize that you had even linked the study I asked for in that post.  Thanks!

Not sure why you are bidding me farewell forever btw. 

I want to ask again about the native language though.  If English is not your native language as you indicated above, you may be misconstruing a lot of the research reports and comments that are being stated in regards to your posts.  Just something to consider.

George,

I'm not interested in cat fights in this thread and frankly don't think either Leit nor I am engaging in one.  Please don't try to bait.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.