Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:49:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 644
Total: 645

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Flutters, Skips, And Palpitations... Oh My  (Read 4482 times)

Offline tednlou2

Flutters, Skips, And Palpitations... Oh My
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:21 am »
I know most people have these from time to time.  I've gotten them for years, but always one episode that lasts a second.  I will go several weeks before having another.  Actually, when having bad anxiety and panic attacks, I don't usually get them. 

However, for about a week now, I've had daily episodes and a few a day.  At first, I dismissed them as just anxiety.  Although, I don't think my anxiety is any worse than normal.  They are a very strange and scary feeling.  I just had one while lying down for bed.  This time, it felt like my heart actually stopped for about 20 seconds.  Then, my pulse shot up to 110.  I am thinking that was the result of panic from the flutter.  I am posting this now as a way to try and change focus.  But, I am curious whether others here deal with this.  I mean frequent flutters.  Do you think anxiety is almost always to blame?  Google can be reassuring, but troubling, too.  Most sites say completely normal to have occasionally, and usually nothing serious even when they are frequent.  They mention anxiety most often, as well as caffeine and nicotine.  But, many sites say can be an issue with the heart and it's electrical system.  Most say more serious issues would probably be accompanied by dizziness or fainting. 

I am sure it's anxiety.  I've been reading how anxiety disorders can mess up your adrenaline.  So, even if you don't feel anxious, your system is out of whack.  Perhaps I'll get the ticker checked out just to make sure.  This has never happened before--having palpitations daily for a week.  I have been taking the prescription Vitamin D.  That's the only thing different I can think that's different.  I've been taking a beta blocker for a few years now, which keeps my bp about 108/68 and pulse of 60.  I was reading beta blockers can cause palpitations.  But, would be strange to suddenly start causing them.  I am so sick of the anxiety, if that's what it is.  Sick of it, regardless of flutters.  But, would definitely prefer anxiety to be cause than some heart issue.  My mom had to have a valve replaced and her doc said it may be genetic and that my brother and I should be screened.  But, going with anxiety for now.

Offline MoMorrison

Re: Flutters, Skips, And Palpitations... Oh My
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:11 am »
Hey ted. I feel you! I don't usually have palpitations with my anxiety but I feel for you regardless. I know that anxiety can cause many symptoms and it can be hard to distinguish at times, if anxiety is really behind it all. As you may or may not know already one of my main symptoms of my anxiety is air hunger. I usually feel this during an anxiety attack and at times, even when I am not feelings anxious at all. As I was sleeping last night, I woke up in the middle of the night and I had this feeling of not be able to breathe. I was half asleep and it scared me. Then I thought, it's just my anxiety acting up on me. I have only had that happen to me once before. Usually I make it all the way through the night without disturbance.

Like you, I am very sick of dealing with anxiety. I had a session with my therapist yesterday and I asked about CBT, and he said we will eventually get to that. I just want it to go away already! I just have to keep reminding myself "If God brought you to it, he can bring you through it."

Hang in there. I know it sucks, but you are not alone in dealing with this ish...
Jan 2011 Tested HIV positive
01/2011 CD4 189 / VL 79,000
03/20/2012 CD4 133 (10%) / VL 46,000
03/28/2012 started bactrim ds
04/04/2012 started complera
05/24/2012 CD4 255 (17%) / VL 53
06/25/2012 stopped bactrim ds

Offline weasel

Re: Flutters, Skips, And Palpitations... Oh My
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:33:25 am »

Hi Ted ,
               What you have maybe what I have .

I just saw my I.D. doctor yesterday , I had mentioned I feel like I am about to              die .
 The flutters make me more nervous than I usually am !

I take Clonazapram < sp >   ?  ,   For EX-STREAM  anxiety .

These past weeks I have cut back on Clonazapram  ,
    It causes me to eat like a PIG !

My doctor tells me I am fine  , Hope so   :)

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.