Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:21:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 177
Total: 177

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: semen and fingering  (Read 9278 times)

Offline woofie

semen and fingering
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:08:15 pm »
hi guys,
i've had sex with a guy (don;t know his status) , who after cumming on my stomach, took some of it and inserted inside my ass. I've looked everywhere and your site is the only one that says this kinda thing is not risky? is that still the opinion or has something change?
why does my local hotline think differently and wanted me to get PEP?  do they have a different opinion?

thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: semen and fingering
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:44:17 pm »
I see you are playing up every forum with that question. Well, the answer isn't going to change. You didn't have a risk.

Offline woofie

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:56:38 pm »
thanks Rapid. It's just this repsonse is so different from others like the hotline, std clinic etc. that's why I'm little confused

thanks agian

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:59:36 pm »
Well, if you continue shopping on the net for answers you will definitely find conflicting ones. HIV is a fragile virus and not easily transmitted. It needs a very receptive setting and a guy who ejaculates and then takes some of the cum and puts it into your butt doesn't fit that receptive requirement.

Like Rod I don't see this as a risk. We also do recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least once a year. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

Doing PEP for this incident would be ridiculously overreacting.
Andy Velez

Offline woofie

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 11:22:29 am »
Thanks Andy.

Offline woofie

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 01:04:24 pm »
does the amount of semen inserted make a difference??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:32:18 pm »
You need to give up this concern. You weren't at risk. Let's not get into quantities of sperm and other details which will only feed your unwarranted fears.
Andy Velez

Offline woofie

stuck by a needle
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »
Hi Anne/Andy,

I am scared and concerned. I was taking out the trash and got stuck by a needle that was on the grass. I think someone was using in the alley becuase I heard some commotion when i opened the door.I could see some blood in the syringe, and a definate hole in my skin. I washed it and it bled. I can only assume the needle belongs to whoever just ran off
I was looking throuhg the answers here if someone had a similar experience and was wondering what you guys thought about this situation. Should i get PEP? how far does a needle need to go?

hope you respond soon please

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:58:17 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Your mind is running rampant again. You've constructed a whole scenario that is all about what ifs. I've never known of anyone to have become infected in this manner. No, I don't see any need for PEP nor even for HIV testing.

However, you are convincing me that you need to see a professional to discuss your inordinate fears and concerns about HIV that are not based in HIV science.

This is not an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline woofie

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 01:29:32 pm »
thank you Andy.
since this was a differnet topic, it didnt occur to me to combine the threads.
I appreciate your answer and I was only concerned because the needle had blood and it stuck me.
I am sorry if I'm botherng anyone. I try to read by myself but things are all over the place

the reason you don't think i should take PEP is because this is 'outside the body'???? just trying to undrestand

sorry agian Andy

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »
When someone is injecting drugs with a needle and syring there is very little blood on the outside of the needle..and I mean very little, and any residue would have dried up in seconds and rendered harmless.

There would have been no blood inside the hollow bore because any blood in there would have been flushed back into the arm when the drug was injected, the only thing inside the hollow bore would have been a little of whatever drug was being used...so as the guys say...NO RISK...and that is why PEP is not warrented.

Jan
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:41:39 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline woofie

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 04:35:47 pm »
thank you Ann (and Andy)

then how is this different from drug use? I mean if you step on a needle and it pokes you, isn't that equivalent to drug use basically?
sorry for being stupid, I'm just not getting it. I can't see the distinction.

thanks Ann, just enlighten me please

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 04:51:27 pm »
You have had it explained to you in a different forum. Now move along.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 05:16:56 pm »
No, they are completely different experiences. IV drug use involves injecting directly into a vein and the bloodstream, which is why the risk is so high.

Stepping on a needle of having it stick a finger or elsewhere is very different. It doesn't go as deeply nor directly into the bloodstream. Such accidents are not uncommon and if they were really risky we would have known long before today. 
Andy Velez

Offline woofie

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 02:08:54 pm »
thank you Andy
so the blood in the syringe can not be absorbed into the body through my cut, it was stuck in there till i pulled it out? are u saying, any needle stick other than in a vein is no worry?
please dont call me OCD, first time I posted here about the fingering was a year ago
and I dont mean to question you guys, biut you are amongst the only websites that has that opinion.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 04:29:21 pm »
An accident of the sort you are concerned about is completely different from intravenous drug use or even a health setting related accident in which a needle for intravenous use is involved. What appears to you as a deep wound is absolutely not the sort in which your bloodstream is directly involved.

You are worrying needlessly. Really. 
Andy Velez

Offline woofie

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:37 am »
thank you Andy/Ann
I have a quick question please. How long does HIV stay active in a syringe found outside on the street ? I read that other than in lab settings, it doesn't last more than few minutes. So when they talk about it lasting for days or weeks in a syringe, is that in lab settings only?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 10:59:15 am »
thank you Andy/Ann
I have a quick question please. How long does HIV stay active in a syringe found outside on the street ? I read that other than in lab settings, it doesn't last more than few minutes. So when they talk about it lasting for days or weeks in a syringe, is that in lab settings only?

What does this have to do with your situation? Not one thing. Get on with your life.

Offline woofie

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:37 am »
thank you for your thoughtful advise Rapid (as usual).

I dont think there is anything wrong with me wanting to know and learn, so please Ann or Andy let me know what you know about the subject

thanks a lot

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 11:26:31 am »
When someone is injecting drugs with a needle and syring there is very little blood on the outside of the needle..and I mean very little, and any residue would have dried up in seconds and rendered harmless.

There would have been no blood inside the hollow bore because any blood in there would have been flushed back into the arm when the drug was injected, the only thing inside the hollow bore would have been a little of whatever drug was being used...so as the guys say...NO RISK...and that is why PEP is not warrented.

Jan

Jan has already answered your concern about this non-risk incident. That you "don't see" her science-based and experience-based answer is not our problem. You need to know that if you persist in coming back here about this incident you're going to end up getting a Time Out. If you just can't give up worrying, then get tested and collect the inevitable negative result.

This is NOT an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline woofie

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
I appreciate your response Andy. I understand.
All I was asking in my last post (today) is genearl info. I just wanted to know if you guys here agreed with that. I think it was TheBody or something that siad that blood in a syringe does not last for more than few minutes, other than in a lab setting where it can last for days, weeks
I jsut found that interesting, becuase I'm sure that's not a distinction that many people know,if it's true

Again, NOT trying to be difficult, just wondering if you guys here share this opinion. It's just a general question (forget my incident)

thanks.

Offline woofie

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 12:00:22 pm »
anyone please?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 05:51:17 pm »
Woof,

You didn't have a risk. It's already been explained to you.

If you read the Welcome thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.