Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 441
Total: 443

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Got a "Tens" Unit today...Relief for Neuropothy???  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

Got a "Tens" Unit today...Relief for Neuropothy???
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:56:38 am »
I received a "Tens" unit today. A rep from the company delivered it. He explained it all. It's pretty simple.

I am hoping it gives me some relief for my Neuropathy, which seems to get more painful all of the time.

It tingles and feels interesting. I pray like hell that it works!

Has anyone out there ever tried one?
Positive since 1985

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Got a "Tens" Unit today...Relief for Neuropothy???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 04:15:05 am »
As far as I'm aware TENS units are quackery Daddy J.

I hope you didn't pay for it.

MtD

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 04:47:44 am »
I don't know what it is?

I started Carnitine 1000 mg a day for the PN, it should work in 6 months I am told. I'd like to take alpha lipoic acid with it, but my doc would only prescribe the former b/c there is published research only on that. Have you tried any of those?

Anyway good luck with the treatment(s).
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline koksi

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:34:00 am »
Can someone tell me if PN is mostly a response to meds or to the virus?  I am having trouble figuring this out.  I am doing great on my meds so far, I think, but this last week I have started to feel that PN feeling in my arms, legs, hands, and feet:  creepy crawly feeling, slightly tingly, foot-falling-asleep feeling.  The feeling is pretty constant.  Also, I didn't realize there are any treatments for PN.  Are there?
seroconversion in March of 2006
positive test May 2006

10/2013: Undetectable, CD4 1000
2009:  Began Atripla

10/2007:  VL 2,300 // no CD4 numbers! :-(
09/2007:  Begin Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
08/2007:  VL 824,000 // CD4 344 // 21%
06/2007:  VL 326,000 // CD4 351 // 17%
04/2007:  VL 410,000 // CD4 242 // 26%
06/2006:  VL 444,893 // CD4 479 // 21%
05/2006:  VL >500K    // CD4 402 // 17%

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:04:52 pm »
Can someone tell me if PN is mostly a response to meds or to the virus?   I am having trouble figuring this out.  I am doing great on my meds so far, I think, but this last week I have started to feel that PN feeling in my arms, legs, hands, and feet:  creepy crawly feeling, slightly tingly, foot-falling-asleep feeling.  The feeling is pretty constant.  Also, I didn't realize there are any treatments for PN.  Are there?

Hey Koksi: I don't know the answers but I saw this short article in POZ http://www.poz.com/articles/1986_11687.shtml it might be food for thought

JJ: All I can say is you're a trooper and I hope for the best for you

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:16:11 pm »
Can someone tell me if PN is mostly a response to meds or to the virus?  I am having trouble figuring this out.  I am doing great on my meds so far, I think, but this last week I have started to feel that PN feeling in my arms, legs, hands, and feet:  creepy crawly feeling, slightly tingly, foot-falling-asleep feeling.  The feeling is pretty constant.  Also, I didn't realize there are any treatments for PN.  Are there?

I think as a general rule, meaning for the majority of patients it's from meds, but there IS one type of PN that can be from the virus itself.  You may wish to read this link:

http://www.aegis.com/pubs/gmhc/1991/gm050502.html

As far as treatments for PN, yes there are some -- none of the are a magic bullet however and it often takes trying several options until you settle on one that works,  PN is one of those HIV things that really vary from patient to patient.  Personally I think a lot of doctors think it's a thing of the 90's that only first line drugs caused like AZT, ddI and ddC.  That would definitely qualify me and most of the PN sufferers that I know personally, but it does seem that there are a handful of newer HIV patients on this board complaining about PN issues.  Hard to tell if they really have it or just think they do.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:18:36 pm »
Oh *ps*:  there is also a PN lesson here on AIDSmeds.com:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Neuropathy_6910.shtml

(I'm afraid I don't often navigate there because the web design doesn't like the WebKit framework that Apple's browser application uses.)

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 12:29:18 pm »
I certainly wouldn’t call TENS machines quackery.

They encourage your body to produce endorphins - the body's own pain-killing chemical – and are an increasingly popular and routine method of pain relief used by hospitals and GPs here in the UK; but I really don’t think it is very advisable to use them unless you are doing so under the direction of a doctor or health care professional.

I used one for a while, after I boke my spine, and it worked wonders.

Offline Dachshund

Offline koksi

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 01:34:29 pm »
Thanks for replies to my particular questions.  I am just tracking the issue.  I have restless leg issues anyway, I think, just as a person.  I am sort of 'hyperaware' of changes in my body right now since I started medication less than two months ago.

The 'tens' thing sounds like a device my accupuncturist used to use in conjunction with needles... or maybe a similar principle.  She use to send little electric pulses through some of the needles (this was when I was using accupuncture to treat sciatica several years ago).  Worked miraculously for that particular pain.
seroconversion in March of 2006
positive test May 2006

10/2013: Undetectable, CD4 1000
2009:  Began Atripla

10/2007:  VL 2,300 // no CD4 numbers! :-(
09/2007:  Begin Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
08/2007:  VL 824,000 // CD4 344 // 21%
06/2007:  VL 326,000 // CD4 351 // 17%
04/2007:  VL 410,000 // CD4 242 // 26%
06/2006:  VL 444,893 // CD4 479 // 21%
05/2006:  VL >500K    // CD4 402 // 17%

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 07:41:56 am »
You can get neuropathy  from the virus as the disease progresses,  from your bodies  immune response  from the virus at any time   from seroconversion onward, or from  meds and recreational drugs like   opiates, amphetimines or alcohol from what i have read. I have been on Neurontin tid 300mg  for a few weeks and  although I have had some bad  moments for the most part it is much better. I am also laking ALA, L-Carnitine and mag/cal  supplement.
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 12:20:25 pm »
I have to take Gabapentin 300mg 4 times a day. I have had PN since I was diagnosed.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 03:42:26 pm »
I have no experience with electrical stimulation but I've had varying degrees of PN for 17 or 18 years and have yet to find a consistently useful solution, but I've observed that it seems to be so much less of a problem in the warmer months that I hardly notice it at all, for whatever its worth.
Your name here  X_______________

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 05:14:38 pm »
Matrica...No I have not paid for anything. In fact, I told them I had no money up front.

Belive it or not, it takes 3-4 months to get approval from my HMO. The Tens company said I could return it at no charge if I get rejected, which is more then likely.

My DR thinks DDI and Zerit (Most of my Dr's agree about Zerit) caused mine. Who knows?

All I know it is a most difficult battle indeed. And very little has worked consistently for a long time. So I'm willing to try everything.

Last night, like so many nights, both of my feet felt like they were numb and atrophy-like cramping. Mixed in are sharp pains that come and go.
Not too thrilled with this Tens unit so far, but it's only the first week.

Rock on.
Positive since 1985

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 11:21:08 am »
I was up until 5am last night with damn PN issues.  I was so over it.  I even took double the amount of Neurontin as usual.  I guess that eventually worked.

I feel *SO* bad for those who have PN worse than I do.  It's really quite a frustrating issue... way over what one could describe as "annoying".  And yes, it seems we all go different routes to solve it, and no one things really works for each person.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 11:32:38 am »
I just endure the moments of of pain... right... I use bees ...stinging honey bees when my arthristis and neuropathy pain gets to the point where I no longer can stand it... bee stings in certain areas I find alleviate the symptoms... and give me relief when I need it... now this practice is not for everyone but, so far it works for me.

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 12:07:18 pm »
When you say bee stings... just how is it administered?

bry

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 12:55:38 pm »
It's like acupuncture!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 01:01:51 pm »
When you say bee stings... just how is it administered?

bry

I am wondering the same thing......
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline dixieman

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 01:59:39 pm »
Answering your question about administering bee-stings... there are certain points in the body for the nervous system... kinda like accupuncture like philly stated.. I place bees in key areas ... then I let them go to work...of coarse the stings hurt but, the venom subsides and the relief is awesome... Now just don't get hooked on bee stings..lol  its kinda like reflexology... key areas... now once a bee stings you ... its given up its life but, I have several honey hives in my backyard so I have a good supply. remember you have to use caution when harvesting bees for this purpose.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 03:00:18 pm »
Answering your question about administering bee-stings... there are certain points in the body for the nervous system... kinda like accupuncture like philly stated.. I place bees in key areas ... then I let them go to work...of coarse the stings hurt but, the venom subsides and the relief is awesome... Now just don't get hooked on bee stings..lol  its kinda like reflexology... key areas... now once a bee stings you ... its given up its life but, I have several honey hives in my backyard so I have a good supply. remember you have to use caution when harvesting bees for this purpose.

I've heard of this, but never knew anyone who did it. I had heard of it in relation to arthritis..

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:01:51 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 07:49:03 pm »

You are far braver than I. :)

Thanks for the explanation.

bry

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 09:39:10 pm »
This was bound to come up, so it may as well me me...

I have heard you can use that on your ding-ding...
nuff said.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 09:40:45 pm »
I have heard you can use that on your ding-ding...

Heh. I've seen that movie too. :)

MtD

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 09:45:13 pm »
I seen it on Xtube prolly.

I LOVE XTUBE!

Offline dixieman

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23:27 am »
Jeff64... that's a new one for me... I've heard of Urtica Dioica (stinging nettle) for that purpose but, never bee venom... either one used in that area would not be fun... but, to each his own...

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 04:58:26 am »
Bring on the BEES, this thing ain't working worth a damn. Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Positive since 1985

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 05:07:01 am »
this thing ain't working worth a damn.

Heh.

Have you tried those chili/capsaicin based pain relievers babe? I suspect they might work on the same principle as bee venom.

MtD

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 07:45:30 am »
Jeffrey,

When I was at the doctors the other day I saw a trial study posted for neuropathy. It consisted, of I believe medications taken twice a day. Ask your doctor if he is familiar with that study, and if it's going on in your area. If you need more information on this study, private message me. I will contact my doctor and get additional info on it for ya !!

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 09:50:53 pm »
Thanks Ray I will ask my DR...

I had both of my heels injected with cortisone. That didn't work either.

This is really a frustrating thing. I'll keep trying. Thank you for the heads up Ray!

Now I have to go look up that new word Matty laid on me...."capsaicin" ??? (the spell check didn't even know the word...:)
Positive since 1985

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 01:18:56 am »
Daddy J,

Matty the Damned may have spelled it incorrectly. It's the stuff in chillis which makes 'em hot. Ask your doctor about it.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.