Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:06:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 290
Total: 291

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: scared of symptoms  (Read 4941 times)

Offline run28run

scared of symptoms
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:49:34 pm »
NOV 27th I had sex with a CSW from internet.  She put a small tight condom on me.  I dont know what brand or anything.  Also at the end of sex I couldnt ejaculate because i was so uni omfortable with condom and her so i said i wanted to stop.  She grabbed off the condom so I  keep wondering if it broke.  Her vagina smelled bad even at distance with her pants off. have had an std then of some sort maybe.  Since then I had rapid test week 4,6,9and half weeks.

I hvae had these swolen lymph nodes at each side of my groin for atleast over month and half now.  Cant see them but a slight rub over the skin there and you can easily feel them.  I was not looking for them and never do but continue to feel them when i shower and sometimes when i masterbate.  I never had those ever.

Frequent headaches, and my stools are always loose.  Red rash that never itches or irritates located just above hairline behind hck/head. under my hair but my hair is short.  The rash has been there atleast months but uncertain really but this just adds more to my worries .  The red mark runs up and down the center piece of neck that feels like cartilage of some sort and runs up to the back your skull.  My mastoids feel unusuall like big and i think its because of little lumps near them or on them not sure  that feel more like mosquito bites bumps but they cant be because they been there for few  short weeks since notice but cant be sure.  smaller things like Fatigue on and  off, stomache growling on and off, big loss of appetite.

Would a test show pos for antibodies if you had the swollen lymph nodes and they were definately infact from hiv?  Please understand the protected situation may not have been due to her taking the condom off and me not seeing it.  I appreciate your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: opinions please
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:35:42 pm »
Run, I don't see anything in what you are reporting that was risky. The main thing is that you had the condom on during intercourse. Overly tight or not, they provide very effective protection against HIV transmission, if in fact HIV was even present.

Her smelling unpleasantly to you could be for any number of reasons and in any case does not  mean anything in terms of risk.

Your symptoms are not in any way HIV specific and are something you should discuss with your doctor. I don't see any cause for HIV testing in relation to this incident. We do in general recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually.

This time I don't see any cause for further concern about HIV. Keep using a condom everytime and you'll be fine as far as HIV sexual risk is concerned.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline run28run

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:38 pm »
Went to get an oraquick rapid test today the 24th hoping that would be my conclusive results from Nov 27th.  I was told it was non reactive.  This planned parenthood I been to  times before for this test and preffered it over the two different county clinics I been to because its faster in and out.  They always were all similiar in the way they addressed my results.  They would say negative but because of the window period you should wait until 6 months. 

This time a different lady helped me and said it was non reactive(she didnt say neg).  between the oraquick test no longer on the table and the extra 5 minutes wait i had to do while she spoke to her coworker amongst themselves the test was gone and they usually show it to me, I began to worry she didnt read results right..  I called the aids hotline twice, oraquick customer service and nobody ever heard of non reactive before.  They kept reading from a website over the phone about false negatives and false postivies making me feel like they didnt care I wanted to cry.  I read a few things online whee its said that non reactive is same as negative.  I dont know if it means anything more?

I woke up in cold sweat last night and having stomach cramps/headaches every day i would put them as mild 5 or 6 on a 10 scale.  I never had stomache aches since many years ago and they would last only a day maybe.

Should I do further test in my personal situation?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 05:02:40 pm »
A conclusive test hasn't been 6 months since 2004.  3 months is conclusive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 05:12:00 pm »
Non-reactive is the same as negative. You are worrying needlessly.

Six months has been outdated for a long time because of the vastly improved sensitivity of tests now in common use. Even the CDC only recommends testing to 6 months under very special circumstances such as when extended intravenous drug use, organ transplant or cancer treatment are involved.

You are HIV negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline run28run

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »
I know that you need to advise people that symptoms arent hiv specific and it makes sense because too many people would have too many various symptoms to consider and most would be irrelevant as you had said that testing is the only true way to determine positive and negative status. 

Andy and Teak, I have high respect for you.  I believe you.  I had went for another test 13.5 weeks for a standard blood draw and was told it was negative.  Now, I hate to talk symptoms as it sounds so redundant as my relentless testing.  I do feel somewhat ashamed that I tested so much as most normal people have more realistic priorities in life. 

I understand that the vast majority of people test reliable at 6 weeks.  Thanks for explaining that as only a few reputable sites online explain that.  When I speak to a doctor, clinic, or hotlines they say atleast 3 months making it sound like 3 months is the absolute minimum.  Now lets say one tests at 12 weeks positive and not at 11.  Would it be that much less common for one to test positive at 13 or 14 weeks and not 12, right?

I believe my stomach ache and headache that was 24/7 for almost 2 weeks, was hiv related.  Is it really that rare of a case if it were true?  Like 1 in million?  I dont know what to think.

Thanks for being there for me.  Love you very much.

Offline run28run

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:52 pm »
ry but quick follow up.  The stomach ache and headache went away but it lasted for nearly two weeks thats would be a timeframe for ars symptoms and i cant think of another reason those were happening like that siimultaneously and 100% the day.  How long after symptoms does the antibodies usually get built up for testing?  I rather not wait too long if possible as the curiosity and anxiety would kill me.  Sorry again as im sure your tired enough about my story.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 07:53:13 am »
Any discussion of symtoms is totally irrelevant in your case. You have reliably tested negative for HIV. Nitpicking about which week is also irrelevant. HIV is not your issue.

If you are having symptoms that trouble you then you need to discuss them with your doctor. We can't diagnose in this setting. All we can tell you is what we see -- someone who tested for HIV at a reliable point in time and tested negative. End of story.

Good luck in having the real cause of your symptoms identified and treated if necessary.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline run28run

scared of symptoms
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 01:36:24 am »
Im a male who had unprotected vaginal sex two times with a female in mid twenties.  I dont know her well at all but stopped talking to me when I asked her to test after this with me.  I never intended on seeing her originally because I wasnt attracted to her but I was sad at the time and having anxiety I also try three different condoms and all were very uncomfortable I messed up with wrong kinds.  But my symtoms seem very real  and worriysom now. 

After maybe 2 weeks, I wake up with pain in armpit.  I dismisss it knowing I read on these sites before about that.  Shortly after both armpits.  I began touching them and for some days they seemed to burn.  Possibly from touching because burning went away.  Couldnt find anything.  Well also at this time I will have a new type of cramp in stomach area  that lasts 100% ALL DAY everyday.  Cant bend without really bad pain, cant lean or twist body the slightest.  Loose stools very wet and messy about 3 times a day.  Very small amounts and frequent stool best way to describe.

I find the lymph nodes each side of armpit a bean sized thing keep arms down and put finger there and its very noticiable there each side.  Not visable maybe because its deep in the pit areas.  Wearing a shirt makes it feel like something big is there while its small.  Press arms against sides with a shirt and its a pretty bad pain and sometimes lifting the smallest things and sweeping with a broom is some things that really trigger the pain there. 

Private online hiv testing company and my labcorp testing PCR DNA with antibody at 4 weeks, antibody 5 weeks, pcr dna and antibody again 5 1/2 weeks, pcr dna again sometime after that, oraquick rapid test maybe like 8 weeks guessing, clearview rapid test at health department just over 12 weeks.  Foolish to take so many tests but I hate uncertainty and I hope you can understand that I really want either a true positive or true negative result.  I prefer it be negative but I definately dont want the uncertainty. 

Nodes still there in armpits and worry me. 

Please tell me whether a 4 month or 6 month test have any difference from one another.  I realized that all those tests have said the same answer and decided that testing so close together did no difference for me.

Does this description sound reminiscent to any seroconversions?  Please advise what to believe or do about this.  They want me to do a 6 month revisit.  I left wondering a lot.

Offline run28run

Re: scared of symptoms
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 01:39:49 am »
I failed to mention that the frequent loose wet stools 3 times a day and 24 hour stomach cramps went away after close to a month.  Its so weird.  Im back to 1 stool a day and its normal solid this has resolved for all that time  and no stomach cramps from morning to night either.  thank goodness. The nodes still trouble though.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: scared of symptoms
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 05:53:38 am »
Run,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Whatever is causing your symptoms is not hiv - you do not have hiv.

I'm having a difficult time believing your story - you originally came here with concerns about protected intercourse - did you really go out and have unprotected intercourse after we told you that you need to use condoms with ANYONE? Let's hope you learn this time.

You have more than reliably tested negative for hiv. You do not need further testing over this incident. If you feel unwell, go see a doctor. Whatever is going on has NOTHING to do with hiv.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about symptoms you may be having or to question your conclusive negative results. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned. And please consider yourself hiv negative - because you ARE hiv negative. You do NOT have hiv!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.