Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:31:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 451
Total: 451

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What if my kidneys have gone south.....  (Read 5910 times)

Offline skycee

• oh you are having a bad day? Did you die?
What if my kidneys have gone south.....
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »
Just after my diagnosis i observed i peed a bit too often and not just that, it was just too bubbly, i once heard a doctor telling a patient that bubbly urine wasnt a good sign So in the back of my mind i had started doing the maths, wondering what if i have this extra variable added to this unsolveable equation. I spoke to my doctor about it then and he said it was nothing, since it doesn't hurt when i pee then its not an infection.

Days turned to weeks and then months and it was still same issue, i spoke to my doctor again about it and he did a quick urine stripe test and said i was fine and my blood sugar was ok and i wasn't diabetic.

The whole of this week i kept feeling this very lil pain in my lower back, and sometimes the middle area and my mind keeps wondering what's going on now, i kept hoping it wld stop buh its just there, very light buh i feel it, feels more like heaviness than pain.

So i decided to go back today to my doctor and told him straight up, i need a kidney function test done he said i should come back on monday and ensure i drink lots of water over the weekend.

I read somewhere that kidneys don't heal, and most times the degeneration continues meaning most people with kidney issues would have to either be on dialysis or go for a transplant. When a transplant is done patients are placed on drugs to suppress  the immune system to avoid the organ rejection, what does this mean for someone living with hiv been that HARRT is meant to build up the immune system, looking at it from the peripheral view i can already see some form of adverse interaction....

Does anyone have an idea what i should expect per adventure the kidneys have gone south
Infected September's 2012
Seroconverted October 2012
Elisa test- indeterminate 20th November. 2012
Rapid test - Negative 23th November 2012
Elisa test - Positive 10th December 2012
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012
CD4 600+, VL 6702 26th March 2013

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: What if my kidneys have gone south.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:41:45 pm »
Hi Ski , I would defer to your docs opinion about the health of your kidneys .

If the lab numbers show some amount of dysfunction that doesn't mean your kidneys are going to fail . I have friends and family that have had issues with the kidneys and quickly  bounced back to normal values after the aggravating circumstances were corrected .   

I sincerely doubt you are on any downward spiral that cant be remedied .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:53:23 pm »
Hi Ski.

I have had Stage 1 Chronic Kidney Disease for about 3 years, it actually is right on the border of Stage 1 and 2 and bounces back and forth between the two. FYI I've never had any pain in my lower back or any other symptoms.

It hasnt gotten worse, and Im doing fine. Doc is not really concerned about it and we are doing nothing for it at this point except watching it. I do the 24hour pee test about once a year and thats it.

Of course when I was told I had Kidney disease I freaked. But Doc explained to me I could go forever with this degree of impairment and be fine, and that it may actually get better.

Good luck, and dont worry too much  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:55:08 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline xasxas

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:23 pm »
I have similar symptoms with my kidneys since I've started Atripla.  From what I've read, this may be one of the side effects of the drug -- I don't know if you're on it also.

I sort of feel like, I don't have the dull ache in my lower sides if I stay hydrated, drink more cranberry juice and reduce my red meat intake. 

I hope you feel better.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:46:04 am »
I regularly have foamy urine.  Since no labs were off, I assumed it was a heavy stream that was causing it.  I just noticed on my next labs, my doc is doing a complete urinalysis, for the very first time.

All the best with your test, and nothing is amiss. 

Offline skycee

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 12:54:55 am »
Thanks guys for the response, I'm truly hoping for the best and also hope that I've not crossed the point where corrections can be made, been that i raised this issue months ago with my doctor and he didn't take it seriously i wld be very hurt.
I have similar symptoms with my kidneys since I've started Atripla.  From what I've read, this may be one of the side effects of the drug -- I don't know if you're on it also.

I sort of feel like, I don't have the dull ache in my lower sides if I stay hydrated, drink more cranberry juice and reduce my red meat intake. 

I hope you feel better.

I'm not on meds yet.

Thanks once again y'all
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012

Offline NY2011

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:05:50 pm »
I'll be watching for updates by you,  since I've noticed that I have very foamy piss since I've started on meds.  My lab numbers were awful at first, but as soon as I switched from truvada/prezista/norvir to Atripla, the lab results returned to normal range.  But I still have foamy piss and I still get "it's nothing" from my doc.

I've recently read that antibodies are found in the urine, so I'm wondering if the foam is the excretion of the antibodies.   Could be a stretch, but just throwing it out there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:07:45 pm by NY2011 »
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:26:22 pm »
Your doctor should be doing a metabolic panel during your routine blood work.  The panel will check for your creatinine levels.  From here they calculate your eGFR which measures the amount of kidney damage you have. 

Do you have the values from previous lab results? If so, check the creatinine levels to see if they are off.

Don't make a leap from you have foamy pee to your in kidney failure. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:50:18 pm »

Don't make a leap from you have foamy pee to your in kidney failure. 

But it's so fun to do even if my doctor tells me not to!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skycee

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 09:59:02 pm »
Thanks bug...

i wld be doing the test today, to get the values tomorrow, would keep y'all updated.

Thank you
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012

Offline skycee

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:14 am »
OK, so I got my results today and my doctor says everything is ok, the result is stated below.

S-UREA                4.2mmol/L        Normal range (2.1-7.1)
S-CREATININE       109umol/L        Normal range (80-115)
eGFR-(CKD-EPI)     77mL/min

Not that I understand so much what they all mean buh he says everything is within the normal range, however looking closely the creatinine result is almost boarder line.

And a small note on the result sheet says "May be consistent with normal kidney function or early renal disease".....this is the part I dont understand?

Well Doctor says I am fine, so I would monitor things and maybe run another test in about 6months. Would be grateful if anyone can shed more light on the results and advice on things I can do to improve kidney health, I have been drinking tonnes of Cranberry lately too.

Thanks y'all
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012

Offline skycee

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 02:56:52 pm »
Does anyone have a comment or opinion as regards my last post.....
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 03:07:25 pm »
What's to comment on? They're in normal range and your doctor said there isn't anything to be worried about. Am I missing something?

Frankly I think you're just trying to find something to worry about unnecessarily.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skycee

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »
Thanks miss P for ur comment.....

Not like i want something to worry about, buh truth be told i know my body, and pee-ing a bubble bath 6-8 times daily is a constant reminder that there is something unusual somewhere.

Ive asked that someone advice on what one can do to maintain a good kidney simply because i know there is a wealth of information here on the forum.....it seems today that im worried over nothing buh this same info would be helpful to someone so long as this forum remains and the internet remains.

So please allow me to rant, allow me to worry and allow me to ask my questions......and donot discourage people who may have experienced what i'm trying to figure out from commenting.

Thank you Miss P
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012

Offline frederick

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 01:02:47 pm »
Hi Skycee. I read your post about having foamy urine and mild lower back pain. I'm having the exact same symptoms on a generic combination of Atripla. I'm almost on my 6th month. My labs came back normal when I had it last month. Did you change meds yet? Were you actually experiencing kidney issues? Your response will be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 04:12:34 pm »
frederick

Watch it with the old threads (zombie threads). Best leave them be and if wanted either PM someone or open your own thread with your concerns.

To be honest this one made me cough whilst drinking my coffee and spill down my leg...

Anyhow your labs are fine, my piss is foamy every time I think too much, its not my kidneys. If your concerned see your doctor not everything is HIV related in life.

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.