Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:57:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 567
Total: 568

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Teens Dealing With Having HIV  (Read 4412 times)

Offline tednlou2

Teens Dealing With Having HIV
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:29:37 am »
I just read this Q&A and it broke my heart.  I cannot imagine being 16 and having to deal with learning you have HIV--and had since birth but didn't know it.  Well, she actually has AIDS.  Plus, she's having to deal with her mother having AIDS and lymphoma.  This comes just a day after reading another question from another teen.  I've had (and still have) issues dealing with my status.  Hell, I picked up my latest labs last week, but I am too afraid to look at them.  Like always I think they are going to be bad, so I think I should just wait for my appt later this month to find out.  So, I can only imagine how a teen dealing with school and teenager problems can deal with the news of HIV, CD4 counts, viral loads, etc.  It appears both are facing this head on and seeking answers and not putting their heads in the sand like I did when I knew I was probably poz but didn't test for several years and still afraid to face things today.   

Question from 16 year-old girl:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Current/Q211184.html

Question from 15 year-old:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Current/Q211165.html

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Teens Dealing With Having HIV
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:15:41 am »
Ted, you're gonna suffocate if you don't start pulling your head out of the sand and start looking hiv square in the face. And besides, while you're bent over with your head in the sand, you never know who's gonna come up behind you and ... well, you'll be fucked.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:28:00 am »
You know what they always say on airlines: In the event that the oxygen masks drop, secure YOURS firmly around your head before assisting others.

You will NEVER be any good for anyone else until you come to terms with your OWN infection. You think people cannot smell fear? Please.

Work on your issues. There will be plenty of world to save when you are ready. Don't do it "instead." People who do that, die.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:13:19 pm »
Hell, I picked up my latest labs last week, but I am too afraid to look at them.  Like always I think they are going to be bad, so I think I should just wait for my appt later this month to find out.

What?  You've had them for over a week and you are afraid to look at them?  What difference do you think it would make?  Still, you are OK with reading all sorts of HIV stories and questions from/about other people.  It is time that you own your issue instead of hiding at the body or Gallant's website.  You really need to start moving on and ahead, Tedderz.

If I recall correctly you told us once that you were seeing a counselor for your anxiety.  Is this is still going on?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »
Hey Ted,

I don't know what anyone can say, to help you understand that your infection is yours and yours alone. I remember the fear, when I tested poz and denial seemed to offer some comfort, however, it was very short-lived. I lived in a world of fear, not understanding exactly what is was that I feared. Maybe that is where you find yourself. I will not tell you what to do, rather I will make a wish for you. I wish, that someday you will be able to overcome your fear, of your own infection, because until you do that, you will never find peace.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »
The numbers you post don't look bad. What is it exactly that you fear. Maybe if you can spell it out in a nutshell here, you can unpack it with us and get over this fear.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:41:58 pm »
So you got a new jet tub and the bug is doing your head in.... The jet tub is more important than the bug.

I appreciate time is needed to get your head round this, cos HIV does have, how shall we say, a massive social valuation as viruses go, and it's easy, perhaps even necessary for a while, to let this soak through your soul, but in the end, who's in control, your jet tub side or the other one?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 02:03:51 am »
I thank you all for your thoughts.  You are all right that I'm still not dealing with this very well.  I'll get there with more time.  Ann, your comment was too funny.  I honestly didn't mean to make this all about me.  I really wanted to point out these questions from such young people about life and death matters.  I just can't imagine dealing with such things as a teen and wondering if you'll make it to college.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 05:32:55 pm »
Hi,

I beleive tednlou2 wanted to make a compasonate post about those who have to suffer a complex health and social condition at a very young age.

then the thread kind take a turn about tednlou2 himself...

While this is , I guess, not what the original intent of the OT, this unexpected turn also shows people care about each other... I do not know if realizing this helps tednlou2 a bit, but I know for a fact it helps ME a lot...

With love (of us all) Eric   
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 12:15:48 am »
Hi,

I beleive tednlou2 wanted to make a compasonate post about those who have to suffer a complex health and social condition at a very young age.

then the thread kind take a turn about tednlou2 himself...

While this is , I guess, not what the original intent of the OT, this unexpected turn also shows people care about each other... I do not know if realizing this helps tednlou2 a bit, but I know for a fact it helps ME a lot...

With love (of us all) Eric   

Yes, I can't tell you how much it means to me that I have people here who care about me.  While I didn't mean to make it about me, I suppose it was about me, too.  When I mentioned I was afraid to look at my labs, everyone was right that I'm still not where I need to be almost 2 years post diagnosis.  It meant a lot to me that people cared enough to comment and ask questions. 

The lab thing is a great example of how I'm not where I should be.  My doc moved my appt to 4 months instead of 3--which won't happen again.  I was near the clinic, so I thought I would just pick up my labs then.  Then, fear set in and I didn't want to see them.  I thought my appt is Oct 18th, so why not just wait until then to get my labs.  I'll deal with it then was my way of thinking.  But, that obviously shows I'm still letting fear run my life.  Again, I continue to work on it and I think I'll get there.  I realize everyone got the point of my thread, but were concerned with what I said about myself.  It helps to know people care about you.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:07 am »
If you take a global view off AIDS, children living with the virus is not in the least bit unusual.

t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.