Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:15:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 238
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aaaarrrrgh! Missed my meds yesterday!  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Razorbill

Aaaarrrrgh! Missed my meds yesterday!
« on: January 27, 2007, 09:46:21 am »
Je suis STUPIDE!!!  I only have to take meds once a day and I leave them in a pill minder right out on my night stand.  Alarm rings, even on weekends, I get up take them with the juice I poured and left next to them the night before.  Done.  I turned my bed down last night, reached for my book, and there they were, Friday's pills untouched.  It seems no matter how hard I try and how simple I make it, I screw up about ten times or more a year.  I guess it's too easy and I'm too complacent about it.  Bad Ernie.
What's everyone's experience with this?  Why do you think it happens?  suggestions?  Tricks to remember?  "Fool-proof" methods?
Razorbill the sieve brain.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Re: Aaaarrrrgh! Missed my meds yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 09:55:41 am »
Chérie,

I leave my daily box next to my toothbrush and I NEVER go to bed without brushing my teeth. So, you could think I would NEVER forget my meds. Wellllll
Rest assured, I managed to get up on saturday  and find my friday box untouched. Sigh.
I guess whatever precautions we take, there will always be a lapse in our attention.
As long as we are aware of it.

Bisous
Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 09:58:10 am »
Hi Razorbill,

From someone who is almost neurotic about taking his pills, here are some thoughts (this assumes that you take your pills upon rising in the morning):

Perhaps a separate alarm that is set to go off after your waking alarm.  I use the alarm that is in my cell phone (I always have it with me).  It goes off at 10pm to remind me of my evening pills and then goes off at 7:30 (m-F) or 8:30(Sat & Sun) to remind me of my morning pills.  

This way -- when it goes off, there is nothing else associated with the alarm, except "pills".

Another possibility is to put some kind of reminder in the bathroom (perhaps on the mirror).  You probably don't want to put your pills in there because of the high humidity.

Hope that helps.
Mike

Offline terpie82

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 10:25:25 am »
Blocker is on to something. I suggest investing in a cheap pda perhaps or setting up a secondary alarm to remind you. For me, I take Sustiva/Truvada and Sustiva to me is the happy dream/sleep pill so I associate my meds with sleep. I ALWAYS take it before going to sleep and if I don't, I won't have the highly anticipated happy dreams to look forward to.

Also, just a technical thing but I noticed in your signature that you listed 0 as your VL but I think you mean <50 copies or undetectable? Consistantly measuring 0 would mean you were cured of the virus. There is a publication out of NIH I read last year that studied people who were undetectable/had <50 copies, and using a modified molecular technique, they were able to boost the sensitivity of the assay and saw that these people were still measuring low numbers of the virus (as low as 3). But this method is not widely available, so traditonal assays are still be used by labs and have a sensitivity down to ~50 copies. Sorry for the intrusion, but congrats on your progress. I've been blessed too for having <50 since May 2004.
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

Razor,

I know exactly how you feel and I just experienced this for the first time on Wednesday night.  I just started meds a little over 2 months ago.  I've always been a laws and averages type person, so that works out to 6 missed doses a year if it continues.  It won't though, well at least I hope it doesn't.

What I have decided to do is use the daily alarm on my cell phone.  The only way the thing will be turned off is once I pop my pill.  This is the only  thing I could think of for myself.  I am like you, I only take one pill.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 10:33:24 am »
I use the alarm that is in my cell phone (I always have it with me).

Hi Razor - I too share this issue of ocassionally forgetting but the good news is with a little effort we can fix things ... I love Mike's idea about the cell phone alarm. There have even been a few nights where I said "I just took my pills just now didn't I?"  :-\ not knowing whether I did or did not :-[ , so instead of double dosing I just skip on the notion of "Yes, I just took the pills"  :o ... My lack of organization leaves a HUGE margin for error but a few helpful tips 'n' tricks can set things straight. ... Thanks for starting this thread. It helps

Alex

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 10:57:04 am »
I have only been on medications for a few months now and so far have been 100% at taking them, but have come close to missing a couple times.  For me the most important one I take is Atripla when I go to bed....so I put the pill bottle on my pillow now so it's impossible to go to sleep without seeing it.  Even on the night stand I have almost forgotten a couple of times - so the pillow thing works best for me.

Another trick I used to use to remember important things when I was going to work was to put whatever I needed to remember over/near my car keys so I couldn't drive away without whatever it was I needed to do.  Of course that only works if you are going to work!

Thanks to you guys for some other good suggestions on how to manage the pill taking routine.

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 11:10:45 am »
I missed my first dose the other night (fell asleep on the sofa) but it was the first time since I began a new twice-daily cocktail in May, so that was eight months of excellence and I'm not going to fret about it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:56:51 am »
There have even been a few nights where I said "I just took my pills just now didn't I?"  :-\ not knowing whether I did or did not :-[ , so instead of double dosing I just skip on the notion of "Yes, I just took the pills"  :o ...

HI Alex --

Using a pillbox will allow you to always know if you have taken a dose or not.  In my mind, it's the single biggest tool to help with adherence.  No more guessing!   ;D

Mike

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:12:51 pm »
"...It seems no matter how hard I try and how simple I make it, I screw up about ten times or more a year.... "

WOW....that's how many time I do "it " a day.  Tell me, what's your secret?   ;)

robert

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 01:54:03 pm »
Razorbill,

Two things help me remember to take my meds:  (1) An alarm on my wristwatch solely
for the purpose of reminding me to take my meds, and (2) a pill box that holds a week's
worth of meds, so I can actually see if I've taken them or not.  I need both the audio
and visual clues, because sometimes I can't remember if I've taken them -- even if I just
took them 30 seconds ago.  Also, I carry 2 small plastic pill boxes in my briefcase that
each contain a days worth of meds, just in case something comes up and I'm not at
home in time to take my meds.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 03:05:28 pm »
I'll know I will sound like I have dementia (I do not) but does anyone ever find them self in the situation where they're not sure if they took their meds a couple of hours ago?  I often mentally remind myself to take them, but then get sidetracked for a couple hours and when I go to take them can't clearly recall if two hours ago I *considered* taking them or *actually took* them.  Mind you, this happens rarely but it does happen. 

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 03:18:54 pm »
Don't beat yourself up too much Ernie, it happens to the best of us.   I can say that I VERY rarely miss a dose, but if I do something "outside of my routine", like being on vacation or away for the weekend or something, I will sometimes miss one.

Swallowing pills is as much a part of my life as brushing my teeth and shaving (and I also hate doing those!)

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 03:43:02 pm »
T'es pas bete!  Je pense que tu vas etre OK.

I read that adherence with ARV meds should be greater than but close to 90% (most people adhere to their medications at a rate of 40-50%.  This is how we get resistant TB baceria)  .Of course, we should all aim for 100%... but that means, essentially... if you're taking something even once a day like Atripla... with 365 doses a year... you could conceivably screw up about 30 doses and still be OK.  It gives some wiggle room.  If you're really good about it otherwise, then you should be fine...

I wouldn't try screwing up my Atripla doses on purpose... but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about too much.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 03:49:51 pm »
Quote from: aupointillimite
(most people adhere to their medications at a rate of 40-50%. 

Is that true?  I wasn't aware that the number was so low. 

I'd offer that the figure is skewed by substance abuse and would be interested in what the figure is absent of that subset.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 03:53:38 pm »
Is that true?  I wasn't aware that the number was so low. 

I'd offer that the figure is skewed by substance abuse and would be interested in what the figure is absent of that subset.

That's the figure for all Americans everywhere... not just poz people.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Blixer

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 04:18:32 pm »
No need to be too hard on yourself over this.  I've heard that 95% compliance is great and 90% is usually acceptable for most people.   The docs want us to be 100% compliant though since that is the optimum.  It's 10 months for me and I haven't missed a dose luckily.  Of course, I was used to taking hypertension medication for 10 years before being on HAART and I was pretty compliant with that.  I take my meds at 6 AM and for some reason I wake up every morning within 15 minutes of 6 AM without any alarm or anything else.  Maybe I' m just lucky in that.  And I've heard that the Sustiva hangs around for a LONG time anyway.  Some of the others could become an issue with very many missed doses though.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 04:34:01 pm »
I guess it depends how anal or not you want to be.  Since I am certified in medication administration and we have to make sure that our mentally challenged guys get the meds they need on time, even if shifts change, etc. we do this long process of doctor's order to pharmacy label to med sheet (for a total of 4 times, the 4th checking that you have, in fact, given the right meds. to the right person who, on our case, is not reliable if asked).  So, option one, an actual med sheet in which you mark down that you took your meds.  Option two, the pill box.  If the meds are gone, you took them.  If they are still there, you didn't.  We are locked into an hour before, an hour after the time.  If you bring this into the real world, and this is how it works for me, I connect/associate a specific time with meds: 6:45 a.m. and 6:45 p.m. Repeated over and over and over and over.  Sustiva gets taken at 8:30 p.m. but because I put it out when I do the evening meds., if it is still there, I have taken it yet.  If it is gone, I have taken it.  By not changing the time, I have succeeded in taking meds. and not missing doses BUT, because I don't use the pill box, there have been times of the years that I really, really have to go back and think... did I take my meds?  Let's see, do I remember....  The alarm advice is also great! Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 04:39:29 pm »
Thanks guys for all the great ideas and support.  I couldn't function with out a pill minder box for the week or I'd play the "did I just take 'em?" game all the time.  I've got cell phone/pda / gadgetry up the wazoo so Im gonna set a cell phone alarm for 630AM which is just before I leave the house for work, one hour after I should have taken the pills.  The back up should help.  Great feed back guys, thanks so much.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 05:20:29 pm »
Well lets see now,

I have been on meds about 39 months now. I am pretty sure, that throughout that period of time, I have not missed more then 4 doses. ( that was either an AM or a PM dose... I have never missed a complete day ) I have tried the pill boxes. I don't use them, unless I travel. My main problem is, if I get distracted or am involved in something, I will have a tendency to overlook or be a little late with that particular dose.

I take my pills right out of the original bottles. The minute I take the meds, I mark it on a calendar, that the AM or PM dose has been taken. This is most effective for me. I keep a pencil right at the calendar on the wall. ( that way I don't have to hunt for a pen or pencil, and get distracted to the point of wondering later on, did I forget the dose, or did I forget to write it down , that it was taken. It gets pretty crazy at times, and I only have two pills in the AM and two pills in th PM to take. Because of the time I take my meds I do not get all that distracted.

I have noticed as time goes on, that I do at times come close to forgetting to take a dose. Sometimes Ed will ask me If I took my PM dose.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 06:05:59 pm »
HI Alex --

Using a pillbox will allow you to always know if you have taken a dose or not.  In my mind, it's the single biggest tool to help with adherence.  No more guessing!   ;D

Mike

I agree with you. My doc just gave me one, so when in doubt I go check it out.. ;) It has helped me greatly.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 03:00:59 am »
I would say during the past 23 years I have missed on average 4 doses per month.

I am still here...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just Sayin
Positive since 1985

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 03:17:05 am »
I have your problem, Philly, especially with my evening dose. Did I take them, or just think about taking them?

I don't keep them in a pill box, so the first few times I did it I would start threating and count out all the pills in the bottle and work out how many should be there. damn, that was hard work and it drove me bonkers.

Now, for my evening dose, I place them on the coffee table next to my ciggies for about 1/2 hour before I take them. It seems to work. I still get caught out occassionally if I go out unexpectedly straight from work and I seem to miss about 1 dose every 3 months because of this.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 01:08:52 pm »
Posted by jeffery:

I would say during the past 23 years I have missed on average 4 doses per month.

Same here.  Only I'm deliberate.  One day a week I go without meds.  I just think a 6 day accumulation is enough to carry me over for the 7th day.  My Dr. doesn't approve but, hey, it's my call.  I'm been doing it over a year now and my numbers arent' too shabby.

robert

Offline koi1

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 06:54:15 pm »
I take my sustiva truvada combo at 9:30 at night. They are on my nightstand and it is the last thing I always do before going to bed. If take a nap before this time, I set my cell phone alarm which has a very effective racket. The weird thing is that I have always woken up before the alarm at around that time, sort of like a body clock. Last night I went to a party and did not take my meds until 1:30 in the morning. I felt the effects of the meds the next day by throwing off my schedule. I have not forgotten tot ake my meds yet. But I have only been on meds for a month now.  I am sure it will happen in the future. I have been noticing the bottle getting emptier. Time to refill. I think that is the biggest danger, running out and then having them tell you at the pharmacy that they are out.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 10:26:23 pm »
In order to help my feeble brain remember to re-order my meds, I setup a reminder on each one in my online calendar which even sends me an email to remind me when to check the calendar :)
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 06:23:33 am »
Razor, I started taking meds a year ago.  It took me a couple of weeks of experimenting, but here's what works for me:

I put 2 weeks worth of all my pills in a big-ass pill holder.  It's supposed to be for meds 4 x a day for a week but I used labels to turn it into 2x a day for 2 weeks.  Anyway, every morning I take out the days meds and transfer both am and pm doses to a single pill holder.  (There's 7 of those and they have the day written on them).  I usually take my first dose before my coffee and then immediately eat.

I put the pill holder (and the remaining pm dose) in the fridge.  When I get home from work I eat and take my second dose. 

Since I take my meds twice a day there shouldn't be any meds in the fridge when I first get up.  One time I got ready to put my remaining dose in the fridge and the previous day pill holder was in there with the pm dose from the night before. 

I've only missed that one dose, and it was only my second PI.  I take Truvada in the morning with a PI.  At least I didn't miss the dose with the Truvada and the PI. 

If I'm at work sometimes I'll write the word "meds" on my hand so I always remember to take my second dose when I get home. 

You can get some cool pill holders from your HIV clinic.  Good luck and don't sweat one missed dose.  Just get a routine that works for you from now on.

To Philly: I have done that a bunch of times. The days go by so quickly I think sometimes I already took it but then it turns out I haven't yet.  You don't have dementia.

Sam

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 06:39:35 am »
Thanks again guys.  It's Monday AM and my cell phone alarm went off at 630.  good back up - although I remembered my pills today, like most days - I think this extra layer will work.  Much harder for you having to do two doses a day Guy in So ALA.  I was on that schedule when I first started meds - pain in the butt.  I'm not sure why you don't just work out of your big ass pill minder - why the transfer per day?

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 07:32:50 am »
Yeah, I guess I left out a couple of important issues:

I live in a big house with three other people.  They don't know I'm positive, so I can't keep my meds downstairs except for a small one day's amount without them getting suspicious.  And I can't take them anywhere inside the original bottles (like when I go visit my sisters family), so I have to transfer them. 

Actually it works out nicely as it is.  I don't have to open 3 or 4 bottles of different stuff twice a day.  I only open the individual bottles twice a month to fill up my pill thing.

I keep the two-week pill holder thing, as well as my Norvir (and the rest of my meds) in their original (labeled) bottles in a little fridge in my room.  If I had to come upstairs to my room every time to take my meds, I'd never remember them.  I hope this makes sense.

In other words: I take all my pills immediately to my room when I get them from the state each month.  I do all the pill holder bs, etc, in my room for privacy reasons.   I have a shredder in my room for the bottle labels when the bottles are empty.  I guess I'm in the hiv closet.

Sam

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 04:37:29 pm »
Sam my man,
  Isn't that all a bit stressful?  I can see keeping your business to yourself from roomies tho.  I wish you had a freer space.  Best wishes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:23:37 pm by Razorbill »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.