Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:56:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: low cholesteral diets...  (Read 9691 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
low cholesteral diets...
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:14:31 pm »
My hubby and I are both HIV + and both have to be on low cholesteral diets. I am suppose to lose weight as well. So I have two things to work on.
    Today I am taking my daughter out for a bike ride since she also has to lose weight as well. But the hard part is seeing all the good restaraunts around my home. But if I can give up drinking I am sure I can do this.
     I guess I am on the look out for good recipes that are low cholesteral. If anyone has any advice on how to cook healthy I would really try to do it.

Offline wolfter

Re: low cholesteral diets...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:37:52 am »
I use a couple of techniques that appear to work for me.  I won't recommend eliminating meat as that isn't realistic for most people.  Whenever deciding on what to eat, just always focus that anything that is processed from animals will contains cholesterol. 

One technique I used when I used to fry hamburger was to put it in a strainer and run it under hot water.  You'll be surprised how much fat is washed away.  Bill used to get upset because he was afraid it would clog the pipes.  I always lamented that I'd rather pay to unclog those pipes instead of mine. ;D

An improved diet is a process rather than an event and I found it easier to make gradual changes and also pay attention to how my body reacted to those changes.  There are also a lot of meals that you can substitute tofu and beans for beef.  I've experimented over the years.  I've have trashed many meals and kept others.  Remember if you fix something that turns out awful, you always have the vegetarian pizza options.

Best of luck

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:03:30 am »
I'm not sure if they still do this, but years ago the American Heart Association used to put out cookbooks that had heart healthy recipes.  I made some and they were surprisingly tasteful.  If they still publish these, I would recommend getting one. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:13:55 pm »
I found the book and we are going to get it. Thanks.
   I also read through some pages and it has some useful information about when shopping for groceries also.

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
Protein is still important with a low cholesterol diet.  We prefer meat.....lean meat.
Never heard of washing hamburg meat in the sink.  Why not just drain it during or after cooking.
 We try to buy fresh...fresh fruit and veggies. And as much as possible we never use canned or frozen.   Kurt does not like kale, collard greens or cooked cabbage....but I do.
We mostly stick to spinach, green beans and broccoli.
And salads.
Good luck.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:16:42 pm »
If you use 90% lean hamburger is it really necessary to "wash out" the fat? I will not cook with anything ground that isn't that lean.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »
This has been a struggle for me for some time. I have had some degree of success controlling my triglycerides with diet and exercise.

A Mediterranean diet is highly recommended by both dietitians and doctors.

According to the American Heart Association, there is no one single "Mediterranean diet." Instead, there's a dietary pattern: Plenty of plant foods, limited amounts of animal protein, and very little saturated fats.

The Mediterranean diet also emphasizes minimally processed, fresh, and preferably local foods.

Typical meals include plenty of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, seeds, olive oil, whole grains, pasta, and cereals, with lesser amounts of fish, poultry, eggs, and low-fat dairy, and even smaller amounts of meat.

A glass of wine is almost always served with lunch and dinner, which I have become very fond of including, especially a Merlot.

I eat either lots of legumes (beans) and fish for most dinners, although I do toss in some boneless skinless chicken breasts, turkey breast or lean beef or pork on occasion to liven up my diet.

I also recommend quinoa. It is actually a seed that impersonates a grain and was eaten by people in South America before the white folk took over.

It contains a complete chain of amino acids (read complete protein), is very versatile and tasty.

Remember to rinse it thoroughly if you buy it in bulk because it naturally has a coating called saponin on it that can make it taste bitter. The more commercially packaged quinoa is usually ready to prepare without rinsing.

Oatmeal is a great breakfast, but don't get the instant packets. They are full of sugar and stuff. Regular quick cooking oats are almost as quick and much better for you.

There are multitudes of ideas to changing your diet, just remember to make changes gradually rather than trying to do it all at once. It makes it a whole lot easier.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:23:46 pm »
If you use 90% lean hamburger is it really necessary to "wash out" the fat? I will not cook with anything ground that isn't that lean.

Couldn't you add a comment without negating anyone elses?    Lean ground beef still has fat that can can be eliminated.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:27:17 pm »
Gettin' testy tonight, eh wolfie? Go have a drink.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:38:03 pm »
Gettin' testy tonight, eh wolfie? Go have a drink.

No, just don't understand why you can't add a useful bit of advice instead of negating someone else's.  But then again, I am coming to expect it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 09:12:27 pm »
No, just don't understand why you can't add a useful bit of advice instead of negating someone else's.  But then again, I am coming to expect it.

And how does this differ from bear60's post before mine? Both of us were just curious about what you are doing. I find it really odd that you're ascribing some sort of nefarious paranoid-induced motive behind it. But like you say, I am coming to expect it.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 11:09:02 pm »

An improved diet is a process rather than an event and I found it easier to make gradual changes and also pay attention to how my body reacted to those changes. 
Best of luck

Wolfie

I agree,  Changing our eating habits can take some time, and it is a process. Everyday we get saturated with TV , and radio commercials, pushing crap/ fatty/processed/ food. Then at nighttime, we get saturated once again with all the diet and weight loss commecials, along with bogus crap equipment to help us loose weight.   :o 

Idee, if you do a search on google, you will find hundreds of low cholesterol diets. Just take your time, plan your meals in advance.  This is what Ed and I do, and it works.

By the way, Walmart sells 96% lean ground meat. It's the only ground meat that we purchase.

Our diet is mostly chicken( with skin removed ) Start looking at labels on products , when you go shopping.  After a while, you'll be checking everything out.

The diet I am on, consists of staying away from the 3 white poisons, Bleached flour, sugar, and salt.

Good luck---Ray
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:11:46 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 01:24:55 am »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:32:56 pm by SouthSam7 »

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 01:27:04 am »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:33:24 pm by SouthSam7 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 05:03:01 am »
I found numerous links when searching rinsing ground beef.  I don't eat ground beef any longer, but when I did, I followed this exact procedure.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/?s=rinsing+hamburger

If you don't want to take advice from the hillbilly housewife, there are plenty of other sites available for rinsing beef.  This is not only more economical, but has less fat than lean ground beef.  Even lean ground beef can rinsed to reduce the fat content even more.

Wolfie

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 05:14:27 am »
Sam, I understand you mean well, but as you were diagnosed in '05 and not before 1996, you do not qualify to post in the Long Term Survivors forum. Please do not post in this forum again in future.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »
That's rude.  I'm not newly diagnosed, either.  One more example of bigotry and discrimination.  Such is life. 

Sam, I understand you mean well, but as you were diagnosed in '05 and not before 1996, you do not qualify to post in the Long Term Survivors forum. Please do not post in this forum again in future.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 05:33:17 am »
That's rude.  I'm not newly diagnosed, either.  One more example of bigotry and discrimination.  Such is life.

Ann didn't say you were newly diagnosed, nor was she being rude, she was merely pointing out that you can't post in a forum that is for LTS...you were diagnosed two year after me and I have never posted in LTS, I respect those who post there and I respect the rules of the forum.

If you weren't diagnosed before '96 then you are not classed as a LTS, simple.

Jan
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:20:33 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:26 am »

Spare me the dramatics, please.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »
Spare me the dramatics, please.

Inorite.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:05 pm »
Inorite.

My 14 year old daughter uses that word with me. I thought she made it up!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:18:20 pm by idee »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.