Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:21:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 603
Total: 603

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Such a silly thought!  (Read 3270 times)

Offline mpositive

Such a silly thought!
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:58:47 am »
I cannot believe I let this thought into my mind, then I actually started to laugh at myself.  I was sitting in my office yesterday and some folks were complaining that they were getting bit by some kind of insects.  So, I had two thoughts.....

I wasn't getting bit, maybe the insects know better....lol.  Maybe they can smell the HIV on me aye? 

Second thought, what if I got bit and then the bugger goes to someone else, could they get it from me?

Again, both ridiculous thoughts, but, I figured I would share where my silly mind went yesterday.

M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Such a silly thought!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:09:04 am »
M,

No, insects cannot transmit hiv to other people if they've bitten a pozzie. You'll only infect your workmates if you have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with them.

Some people are just lucky in that insects don't seem to bite them. People who take B-vitamin supplements tend to turn insects off, and so do people who eat plenty of garlic. So, it seems to be a diet-related thing. Not virus related.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mpositive

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:07 am »
Ann, you realize that I knew this but was just commenting on the thought process .... how bizarre that my mind even went there.  I just felt it was sorta "funny" and wanted to share.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:23:26 pm »

Ann, you realize that I knew this ...

Well, that's a relief!  ;)  ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sdguyloveslife

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:49:57 pm »
M-

Thanks for sharing! 

What I find interesting about what you wrote is that "we" forum members get the benefit of knowing that a bugbite cannot transmit HIV - because of the vast knowledge presented to us on resources like this - but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people don't know and think they really can be infected through a bugbite. 

I'd bet if you asked your coworkers, many of them would think that transmission via bugbites is possible.  That's not saying anything bad about your coworkers - but more a comment on the lack of knowledge and fear-based misinformation that's still out there about HIV.

-R
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:01 pm »
People who take B-vitamin supplements tend to turn insects off, and so do people who eat plenty of garlic. So, it seems to be a diet-related thing. Not virus related.

Ann

Do you have any peer reviewed scientific studies to back up these claims, Ann. Just asking...  ;)
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:07:41 am »

Do you have any peer reviewed scientific studies to back up these claims, Ann. Just asking...  ;)

Nope, not a one. It's just what I've observed over the years. Hence my use of the word seems:)

Ann
(who can behave rather unseemingly at times.)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mpositive

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:03:15 pm »
I have heard the Garlic part for many years now, but not the B Supplements.  however, it just so happens, I take a B100 Complex daily, so who knows, that may very well be the reason. 

Offline positivmat

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:02:33 pm »
The only thing that has changed in my diet is atripla. It has occurred to me during this very rainy spring and summer in the Northeast that the skeeters don't like the atripla in my blood now. But I thought it could have been the HIV too. I used to be a favorite of the mosquitoes. Not this year. I dunno.
Matt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.