Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:10:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 169
Total: 170

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's always something....  (Read 6352 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
It's always something....
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:38:58 pm »
Tin Man has to go in to see the Wizard again.  >:(

My heart is trying to 'act out' after behaving for a long time now!   I saw my cardiologist on April 8th; BP had been running a little high.  She increased my BP medication.  Since then, I've been keeping a log of BP and heart rates....I faxed it to her today.   She called me back within 20 minutes, and said I need to come in ASAP to get a Holter monitor.

So I'll be all wired up for the next couple of days....goodbye chest hair.  :(

My heart rate is way too fast; at night when I'm "at rest" it is often 115 -120.
Could be a reaction to my latest sleeping med, nortriptyline, who knows...
that's the problem when you take so many meds, one thing screws up something else.

Unfortunately the yellow brick road doesn't go to Birmingham; I have to use
I-59.   ;)

hugs,
Alan

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: It's always something....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:48:03 pm »
Good luck Alan with your doctors visit, and I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  Hopefully they can sort out what is causing this.  I'll be thinking of you.

David
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:06:45 pm »
Alan, chest hair is waaaay over-rated. ;)

There's no yellow brick road to the Birmingham in this part of the world either.

And yes, it's always something. Let's just hope this latest something for you turns out to be nothing. A storm in a teacup, as it were.

Good luck sweetie; as always, keep us posted.

Heartfelt hugs.
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:52:57 pm »
Alan, chest hair is waaaay over-rated. ;)

Personally, I like a nice hairy chest.  The worst part of labs for me isn't the needle it's pulling the band-aids off later.  All those litte arm hairs ... Ouch!!

And poor you, those little heart monitor ones are just awful to pull off.  I always do it "keep your minds out of the gutter" in the shower.  Good luck with getting everything sorted out.  I'll be hoping for the best!

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:44 pm »
Alan, sweetie, you just keep getting hit, don't you.  I'll be thinking about you and looking for an update after the Holter.  Sorry about the chest hair, but if you look at the new male models, they don't have any either.  I don't know if that's any comfort or not.  Personally, I think a hairless chest is sexy.
   Luv ya,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:59:14 pm »
"keep your minds out of the gutter"

Easier said than done, mate, easier said than done. ::)

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:04 pm »
I thought I heard you saying O-I-L C-A-N O-I-L C-A-N. You really are held together with bubblegum and baling wire, aren't you baby?

Thinking of you.
Hal

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:14:49 pm »
Dearest Alan...Here's hoping this little blip is nothing at all, just a bump in that road to Birmingham...After all we don't want our sweet tin man to have to become the scarecrow!!!  ;)

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Longislander

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:19:09 pm »
Alan,
I too hope it's as simple as a reaction to your sleeping pill. Good to see your doc is staying on top of things~

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Florida69

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:20:38 pm »
I am with Paul on this one, I hope that this is just a reaction to the medication.  My fingers, eyes and toes are crossed for you..  D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 10:51:48 am »
Thanks everyone!

I just hope they don't tell me to eliminate caffeine 100%.   I NEED my one cup of coffee in the mornings....and I love my sweet tea with lunch and/or dinner.
If I make it at home, it's de-caf, but if I eat out, no one uses de-caf tea.

I'll let you know what I find out.

hugs,

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 03:56:04 am »
Best of luck Alan,
My thoughts are with you, hope it's not a big deal!
Don't you dare die on me(j/k) I need you to post my birthday in June LOL>

Love ya babe!
Positive since 1985

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 10:16:34 am »
Hey Alan,

I hope this is just a bit of a blip and nothing serious. I can't imagine doing without my tea.  :o

Let's hope it just a reaction to the sleeping pill or something simple like that.

You are in my daily thoughts and I'm sending copious amounts of positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 10:25:48 am »
Hey Alan.....hows it going? I'm thinking about you today and wondering how you are.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 02:58:54 pm »
Hey Alan....

Long time no hear from me but my thoughts and prayers are with you good buddy.
Incidentally:
Bare chested men are sexy too sweetie.........
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 11:28:45 pm »
Thinking of you, Alan. Hope all is well.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 09:37:40 am »
oh Alan,

I hope it is just a reaction to your sleeping meds and nothing major.

You'll be in my thoughts.

Sharkie
(don't worry the furr will grow back  ;))

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 12:41:42 pm »
Good news:  no arrhythmia detected!  Yay.   So my heart's rhythm is fine.

Bad news:  it's still going WAY too fast.  So, on Friday my cardiologist and I decided to increase my cardiac med (Carvedilol) x 2.  Also, I will resume the dreaded diurectic each day.  >:(

So far, the results look pretty good;  BP was more "normal" this weekend, and heart rates of 90 - 95.   So I'll try this for awhile and see if I can tolerate it without too much difficulty.  It kind of got me down,  because I know that once you "double" a medication, most likely you're not going to get to "un-double" it later on....  My pill count is steadily creeping back up to the upper 30's each day.

You take pill X for symptom ___ but it causes Y.   So you take pill Z for Y, but that causes some other problem.... it's a Catch 22.   I'm sure that those of you who are taking several medications know what I'm talking about.

OK, now back to "it's always something"..... I have a colonoscopy on the 16th.
 ;)

hugs, Alan

PS - to end on a positive note, the Glucosamine - Chondroitin I've been taking seems to be doing wonders for my joints and tendons!

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 01:20:54 pm »
It's good you have good heart rythms....we already knew that..
sorry for the diuretic and the double medication.
My BP remains high and have had my Atenolol doubled, but I did not realize that it would be like forever...BP thing is new and I am hoping it would be something that could be resolved.
good luck on the 16th...
ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »
Alan, I'm glad you have no arrhythmia, but sorry about doubling the medications.  I can totally empathize, believe me.  The longer I live, the more meds I take.

That's interesting about the glucosamine-chondroitin.  I have terrible joint difficulties.  It's pretty expensive though, isn't it?  I know in some states, ADAP will pay for supplements (I think), but since I qualify for Medicaid in my state, of course that knocks me out of getting ADAP.  And I know Medicare Part D won't cover it (if someone knows differently, chime in).  Ah well.

Good luck with your colonoscopy.  And take care.
  Luv,
Betty

Hey, now you don't have to give up your coffee and sweet tea!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 03:00:54 pm »
I take 30 pills each day, and that's actually less than a few years ago.  Baby steps.

But yeah, it's always something to counteract something else which then fucks up yet another thing.

I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you thought it might be, Alan.  Enjoy your colonoscopy.  I'm expecting to be told I need one when I go to the butt doctor in a few weeks.  I've never had one, though I've had dysplasia laser zaps which aren't enjoyable.

ADAP does not cover supplements here in PA that I know of, Betty.  My pharmacy, however, throws in free bottles of multi-vitamins with my order.  I assume ADAP pays for that, but that's all I know of.  In NY they have more, or do now -- I don't recall that being the case when I lived there but I was only on ADAP for 3 years there.  They REALLY should pay for things like fish oil and calcium which one must take as a direct result of our less-than-fabulous HIV meds.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 08:44:22 pm »
David, Medicaid here in Indiana used to cover anything the doctor would write a prescription for (vitamins, supplements).  But, that was when there was only one type of Medicaid.  Of course, now in Indiana there are seven different types and no one can ever figure them out. 

I agree that insurance should cover things like fish oil and calcium.  I really need to be on calcium, since the last time I had a DEXA it showed moderate osteoporosis.  But it can get to be expensive. 

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »
Alan,

I'm so glad to hear your heart if OK.  We've already got somebody (next2u) with heart problems and that 's  enough.

I know what you mean about the pills.  Sometimes I think it's all a crap shot.  When you're  taking massive quantities of pills, you begin to wonder if any of them work in tandem or if it's just a matter of you rolling the dice to see what's going to work today.

Good luck with your colonoscopy on Friday. 

robert

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:45 pm »
Alan,

Glad to read there is no arrhythmia.

Try not to think of it as a "colonoscopy" think it more as some sort of kinky sex with pictures and everything.   :D

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 11:51:02 pm »
Alan,

Glad to read there is no arrhythmia.

Try not to think of it as a "colonoscopy" think it more as some sort of kinky sex with pictures and everything.   :D

AA

I've always insisted on being kissed first.  :D
ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 12:23:59 am »
Hey Alan,

Yep, glad its not arrhythmia, but sorry about the increase in heart meds.

I know what you're saying. It seems like we are always adding more pills to counteract the pills we already take.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. I have a feeling the doc is going to want to do one in the future.

I've always insisted on being kissed first.  :D
Ronnie

OH NO! I've seen the doc. I would have to be really drunk.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.