Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:06:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to you cope with stress?  (Read 10754 times)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
How to you cope with stress?
« on: August 02, 2006, 08:59:20 pm »
I am interested in hearing about how people cope with stress.  This has a HUGE impact in my health.  I am also interested in personal stories and coping strategies.

For instance, I had to (is there another way?) explode at a bank manager to get them to take action regarding a financial dispute with a hotel in Berlin that charged me many $$ for a room I canceled within the grace period.  We kept going in circles until I had to threaten closing my account and contacting an attorney.  Of course, all of my anger usually turns into a sinus infection... and it did.

Afternoon naps, lounging in bed with my cats and hot baths with Epsom salts and lavender oil are great for relaxing (I am considering buying Epsom salts by the case.)

How do you manage anger or stress?  What do you do to relax?

Offline Jeffreyj

Re: How to you cope with stress?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 09:32:55 pm »
Build yourself a nice, reliable support system. If you can talk to others about the daily HIV troubles, this will carry over into other aspects of your life, helping to make it a bit easier.
And pick your battles wisely. Don't bitch and sweat the small stuff.
Positive since 1985

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 09:47:45 pm »
hey ndrew,

I meditate (not nearly enough), exercise (not nearly enough), snorkel (when it is warm enough), during the colder months yell at the opposition football team and the referee, smoke pot when I want/need to, and have a daily routine that I do not like intefered with. I find they all help to keep my stress levels down. Hot baths are wonderful too, but alas, I have no bath in my current house - it had been three long years since my last bath but my hotel in Thailand had a bath tub which I filled to the top with piping hot water and salts. Oh what a joy.

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 10:13:52 pm »
Hello Ndrew, it is Eldon. Jeff said it clearly and I agree that you should get yourself a good strong support system in place to cope with your stress. The forums is a great place to start. There are a lot of caring and understanding people here.

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 10:15:48 pm »
One of the things that helps me out in my time of need is Music.
It has saved my sanity more then once.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:53:02 pm »
I lift weights and trail jog. I also walk my dog in the woods. When I'm angry I will sometimes play combat video games.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 11:57:48 pm »
Everyone is different in how they cope...  I found exercise to be huge...  I also found keeping busy at work keeps my stress down...  As I work in hotels, dispute the charge with you credit card company... They are on your side...  I write of thousands of dollars a month in disputes... We want you to come back... Otherwise you stayed at a suck ass hotel.. lol

I also find getting the adrenalin running naturally by climbing percarious cliffs or dangling from a rope is also ways to de-stress.. 

Having people to talk to especially who are going thru similar circumstances is vital.. Thus you are here...  You will find your way!

Love

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 12:42:55 am »
Exercise (running, weights). Yoga twice a week (highly recommended). Lots of Mozart, Chopin. Window-shopping. A handy supply of Xanax and Klonopin (rarely used but I feel safer knowing they're there when the stress and/or anxiety levels hit the roof).

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 12:56:44 am »
I shoot rats and feral cats at the dump with an air-rifle.

MtD

Offline TampaBob

• Me at St. Pete Pride '06
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 02:43:17 pm »
I know there may be alot of  ::) when i say that MASTURBATION has always been the most effective source of de-stressing i have yet to find.

Endorphans are powerful chemicals - and i have found that a good j/o session really helps release the tension.

I'd rather j/o than pop pills or slam a few beers/cocktails.

Laugh away, but it's worked for me!

Offline Rabbit

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 04:10:29 pm »
I know there may be alot of  ::) when i say that MASTURBATION has always been the most effective source of de-stressing i have yet to find.

Endorphans are powerful chemicals - and i have found that a good j/o session really helps release the tension.

I'd rather j/o than pop pills or slam a few beers/cocktails.

Laugh away, but it's worked for me!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 04:13:20 pm »
Long fast walks and  yoga every day.

Offline Rabbit

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 04:16:06 pm »
Dear TampaBob ,

I am very stress today because of my writing up. I think this topic is very helpful for me. I learn much. I cant not help laughing when I read your idea. My table and chair are shaken now, not because I am doing what you advised here but because of your idea. It helps me relax now. Thank you very much.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tigercub

Offline TampaBob

• Me at St. Pete Pride '06
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 04:31:01 pm »
Hi Tiger!

Well, i'm glad i could help....well...i mean....i could help, but then would it qualify as self-pleasure? Hmm!

Oh, btw, according to a recent report here in the USA, those who masturbate at least once a week as adults have a 78% reduction in their rate of Prostate cancer and prostate-related medical issues!

So, take matters into your own hands folks! Reduce stress. Excercise your prostate (for the gents out there specifically) and remember - masturbation is sex with someone you TRUELY love!

Happy Jackin! :)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 04:49:39 pm »
Genet said that masturbation is the best kind of sex, because the pleasure given is equal to the pleasure received.

You're right Bob, masturbation is the best stress-reliever there is.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 05:56:01 pm »
And pick your battles wisely. Don't bitch and sweat the small stuff.

I'm with Jeffey on that.

Also don't keep things bottled up - decompress when you need to.

Trying to maintain perspective on the importance or non importance of things that cause me to feel overly stressed helps too.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline BB

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 10:34:58 pm »
I use a big bottle of California red wine and eat Lexapro like candy!

I used to shoot things with bullets, but my insane cackling drew to much attention.

BB
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline aphaun

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 12:50:44 am »
Simple diet.
Yoga: four classes a week—three techniques.
I also practice everyday by myself.
It’s opened doors for me.
It’s my lifestyle.
I began nine years ago.
I believe yoga saved my life.
I bicycle everywhere.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 12:55:38 am »
I've been meaning to start Yoga for a while now. Even bought a DVD, though there is a daily yoga cable show I could tape as well.

I hope its possible without the requisite sweltering temperatures. I keep my apartment at sixty. And I hate, beyond the telling of it, heat.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:12:56 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 01:04:39 am »
Hot yoga frightens me; it's a crazy modern adaptation I think, and certainly not required. Start with "Hatha" yoga, simple postures and simple breathing exercises; the surya namaskar (Salutation to the Sun). I'm lucky that one of my friends here, also a student, conducts the yoga classes; I feel terrific after each one.

Jay
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:07:08 am by lydgate »

Offline aphaun

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 12:40:35 pm »
I took one Bikram, (Hot Yoga), class.
Personally, I would not recommend it, particularly to someone with health issues.
It is an unnatural environment.
I collapsed halfway through the 3rd set. I suggest that the heat may cause heart palpitations or worse. I had to sit in the laundry/changing room and drink copious amounts of water for an hour after the class before I was able to leave the premises. I had tremors.  I will not do it again.
I think to get real benefit from yoga one needs an instructor rahter than instruction from a screen.
You may need to look for one you can relate to, much like finding the right doctor.
Repetition is important (time of day, length of practice time), so that eventually the muscles, nerves and blood vessels stretch and subconsciously “understand” what is being demanded of them.
Yoga means “united”.
Hatha yoga is bodybuilding through mental control.
An inner dialogue/argument begins.
Is it the body that decides when the pose will be released, or will the mind control this, despite protest from the muscles?
No need for a hot room. You will sweat.
You will also get much benefit.

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 01:31:31 pm »
Regular exercise, yoga (not enough), meditation (not enough), masturbation (enough thank you :D) all work for me.
Today I tried something new, floatation, and it is very relaxing. Floated for an hour in an isolation tank, pitch dark (but you can have light), silence(but you can have music). I didn't pick on the fad in the mid eighties but this is a nice way to relax.

In addition to all I would add massage, wether swedish, thai, rolfing, connective tissue, shiatsu or reflexology, they all have a relaxing effect on the body as they affect your neurovegetative system (the one you don't control by will).

Lastly I would say that your diet can affect how you deal with a tense situation; some will say I am biased as I am a veggie but going easy or suppressing red meat in your diet might help. (I don't have evidence at hand but will forward it here when I find it). Sugar also seems to play a role in restlessness/agressivity levels, at least in children.

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline bluelove

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 01:54:01 pm »
I swim and walk/play ball with the dog.

Read good books and music too is my sanity saver.

And l keep a online blog ....Silly l know but it helps a lot when l write even if it is silly small stuff.

It's just one day at a time for me.

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 04:06:52 pm »
So many good suggestions here about what works for people when attempting to de-stress! I particularly liked the masturbation once a week idea. I'll have to try that. *evil grin* Ok. Ok. I'll have to scale back to just once a week :)

One thing that I've been indulging, since beginning Sustiva, is to take naps periodically throughout the day. Getting out of bed in the morning is also becoming tough since the pleasure of dreaming is so comforting. There's something so wonderful about being unconscious and letting your brain work through all the shit, to awake refreshed. I'm waiting for medical science to catch up with me so I can be a virtual producer by having some IMAX recording device wired directly to my brain. They can implant my cell phone while they're at it.

Back to real life. I still enjoy venting when someone pushes buttons that they ought not to have. Bank managers used to be a particular favourite but insurane companies seem to be the recent receivers of my ire. Call me trendy, I guess. I feel all the better for letting off the steam and before you judge me a tyrant, I'm sensitive to the recipients where possible. I do wonder at times though how I've managed to stay in a relationship for almost 17 years. I guess he's used to my "habitual" rants. Who needs a TV with me around? Express it and get on with life is my mantra!

In some twisted way, I wish the world was built like I am - able to express on a dime the frustration, anger, or discontent and then move forward. Big props to those amongst us who have the ability to absorb this lightning. It sure does take all types for the world to keep spinning ... which brings me to another vicarious pleasure to de-stress.

Watch people. There's always someone within eye-shot doing something worth observing :)

Offline aphaun

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 05:02:19 pm »
In addition to practicing yoga, I believe my diet helps me relieve stress.

I believe it is true that we are what we eat.

On the good advice of my yoga teacher, I avoid red meat.
I observed a change for the better in me when I did this.

The only meats I eat are baked or poached fish; some chicken, nothing fried.
I learned to prepare fish so it would be simple and tasty.

There is neither salt nor sugar in my kitchen.
More than enough of these have been added to other foods I already eat, like breads.

I use “Bragg” instead of salt.
It’s a soy concentrate that you can find in Health Food Stores.
I sometimes add a little to hot water and drink it like consommé.

I use lots of herbs to enhance flavours.

I cook my own foods so I know what I’m eating.

To lower cholesterol, reduce effects of Type 2 Diabetes and elevated BP, I eat no animal fats, and limit all fats—drastically when compared to my peers. But that’s become normal for me now.

My diet is essentially Pritikin’s. It’s my standard. I enjoy natural food—mostly plant, lots of fruit, nuts and seeds.

I dilute juices, so I can drink lots all day without sugar spike.

I eat when I have appetite, but not within 2 to 4 hours before yoga classes.
It's important to have an empty gut when you do yoga.

Eating less fat makes dishwashing easier too, hence, less effort is necessary in that department.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2006, 09:42:54 pm »
HHmmmm,

20 years ago I would have said that the best way to handle stress was with a bottle of Jack Daniels, and a pack of cigarettes !! At least that was how I attempted to handle it the first year after diagnosis. And of course that line of thinking is a total mistake, and a road to certain destruction.

Everyone is going to have stress,( and differant levels of it) and there is no getting around it. I try not to let stress play a part in my daily routine, and in most cases I am fairly successful at it.

For those that are working, that in itself can cause stress levels to rise. for myself, working keeps my stress levels down. and it's something that I enjoy and look forward to everyday.

Getting into an exercise routine may help reduce stress levels. And that is probably something that should be considered very early on into diagnosis, because as time passes on, exercise becomes a little more difficult. Riding a bike, taking walks.... all fun and good things ..

Stay away from negativity. There were people in my life years ago, that if these people were still in my life today, they probably would have contributed to putting me in an early grave :-\ I don't miss those people in my life !! And I am much better without them...

Try to keep a sense of humor. Try to put  a little bit of comedy in your life EVERYDAY !!! it will reduce stress.Learn to laugh again( in case you forgot how). Get out of the house, don't let the four walls entomb you !! Do things.... Go to the movies, listen to music, get a hobby. I like buying old broken clocks,and typewriters. I usually won't sell the clocks, but I always have someone at work, who still likes to have an old fashion typewriter. so I fix them up, make sure they work, blow the dust out of them, get a new ribbon, and their like new. You would be surprised, how many people still want a typewriter, and say the heck with the computer !!   Most of the time time I am successful at getting these things working again. I love working on mechanical things, it's hypnotic to me, and it makes time pass quickly.

And if that doesn't work, someone else already mentioned masturbation !! :) Which brought a smile to my face !!!   Enjoy life !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Bartro

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 09:52:40 pm »
If all else fails Xanax as a last resort...
Rusty

Offline aphaun

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 12:20:33 am »
Remeron

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 09:27:33 am »
There are so many wonderful bits here, thanks!

I have been watching DVDs of the "Golden Girls" or anything that makes me really LAUGH.  This is my new attempt at destressing.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006, 09:59:37 am »
I have been watching DVDs of the "Golden Girls" or anything that makes me really LAUGH.  This is my new attempt at destressing.

:D I always get my dialy dose of those Golden Chicks !!! ;)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.