Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:32:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66297
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 204
Total: 206

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: should i be tested?  (Read 12802 times)

Offline Dani

should i be tested?
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:21:55 pm »
Hi, i'm a 16 years old girl and i began to be worried because i was thinking about an experience i had...i was dating a bigger guy and one night he made me get drunk...we were kissing and he touched himself to ask me to touch him but i didn't so he put his hand into my trousers and he began fingering me, and i let him...i don't know his health status and i dint see him anymore...i have read a lot about Stds and it is said that gloves should be used for this types of things...i dint know if he had some precum in his fingers when he touched me or is he had cuts or sores...I'm really worried and ashamed..i cannot tell this to my parents...do you think a test is warranted?
i know this kind of questions have been answered before because i have read a lot about...however i cannot be quiet and the more i read the more i get worried...i also know that getting a test is the only way of being sure but the fact is that if i want a test i'll have to worry my parents and i will do it only if it's really necessary.

Offline RapidRod

Re: should i be tested?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:25:31 pm »
No, a test is not warranted in the above situation you described.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:46:59 pm »
Hey Dani,

I agree with Roddles when he says this is not a testing situation. Nevertheless I think you would benefit from reading our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

One other thing doll, you don't have to engage in any sexual behaviour that you don't want to. It's your body and nobody elses. It sounds like this fellow was less than gentlemanly in his dealings with you. Just because he wants to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it.

Drinking and casual sexual encounters are not a good mix either.

Fond regards,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 07:25:36 pm »
Dani,

Just to follow on to Rodney and Matty's posts - which I completely agree with - no one can MAKE you get drunk. I mean, are you telling us he tied you down and put a funnel in your mouth?

At sixteen you are old enough to start taking responsibility for your own actions. Don't allow yourself to get into potentially dangerous situations with men you don't know - or even men you DO know. Take it from one who has been there, done that and ended up hiv positive.

Whatever you do, make sure, if and when you have anal or vaginal intercourse, that the guy is wearing a condom.

You were not at risk through getting fingered.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dani

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 07:37:23 pm »
Thank you very much for the responses
I agree with you about the issue of getting drunk, i just didn't think i could get to that...
i have read the article as you said...and there, like in many other websites, i found that my risk was a theoretically one...so if there is a theoretically risk could you explain me why is not necessary a test?
i also found that many people is concerned about things such as sitting on a dry drop of blood..or getting infected through the eyes..so i think that if those are theoretically risks..mine should be a high risk :S
I'm just looking for peace of mind..i didn't know nobody to talk about this..

Thanks again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 07:43:08 pm »
Your thinking is off the wall. You do not get HIV from being fingered. In 25 plus years of HIV collected data, not one person has ever contracted HIV by being fingered. You will not be the first.

Offline Dani

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 07:53:31 pm »
Sorry i didn't know how does this work..i will copy that here:

Hi, I just want to know how is people infected in healthwork...i knew that accidents with needles don't always end with infection, but there should be many cases of healthworkers infected by some kind of accidents...I'm just being curious..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 08:03:19 pm »
In the US there have been 52 cases by occupational exposures in over 25 years. Needles sticks, lacerations from broken bones and equipment, eye containation and so forth.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 08:19:04 pm »
And along with the 52 cases of transmission there have been thousands of accidents in that manner. As you can see by the numbers, most of the time infection does not happen.

Theoretical means it "could" happen. Realistically it almost never does. Big difference.

Andy Velez

Offline Dani

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 08:36:56 pm »
Do you know if there are cases of infection through piercings or tatoos? everyone says that those are risky in terms of hiv

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 09:18:39 pm »
Can I ask why you are asking? You can not get either one without a signature from one of your parents. You will not get HIV from a reputable tattoo/piercing parlor.

Offline Dani

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 10:03:19 pm »
i'm wanting to know if it is possible...it seems to be that too many things related to hiv are just myths

Offline Dani

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 07:23:05 pm »
Hi, it's me again...first i want to say sorry about my bad English but it's not my mother language.
then, I'm posting because i think I'm a little depressed and it began when i started thinking and reading about hiv.
i had relaxed when i read From you and from other places that i shouldn't be tested...but this has happened seven month ago and i cant remember everything...i told you i was drunk when i was with this guy and now I'm wondering many things :S...is it possible that i don't remember something else had happened? i had never had real sex (intercourse) so i want to believe that if i did that i would remember...even if i got asleep while i was drunk...I'm feeling so stupid...
sorry if i'm writting about something that does not concern to a forum like that..but here i read posts of persons that, as me, cannot relax and your responses are very good...

thanks again

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 07:36:27 pm »
If you would have had sexual intercourse you would have remembered. You have not had a risk. Don't read anymore of this forum or any other HIV forum and you won't need to have anymore unwarranted worries.

Offline Dani

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 07:44:49 pm »
However i heard about people who dont remember they had sex because of the alcol :S

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 07:48:47 pm »
You just said you've never had sexual intercourse. If it would have been your first time, "YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN IT."

Offline Dani

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 07:51:44 pm »
do you mean..even under the effects of alcohol? or you're just saying that because what i'm saying sounds stupid...?

Offline Dani

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 08:16:14 pm »
hey answer me please  ???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 08:30:42 pm »
There is nothing else to add. I read where you said you were drunk before answering you.

Offline Dani

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 10:52:01 am »
i asked about the tatoos and piercings because the guy had ones and i wanted to know if he can be infected through that way...

Offline Dani

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 01:24:58 pm »
nobody will answer this?  :(

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 04:13:08 pm »
Hi, I'm a 16 years old girl and i began to be worried because i was thinking about an experience i had...i was dating a bigger guy and one night he made me get drunk...we were kissing and he touched himself to ask me to touch him but i didn't so he put his hand into my trousers and he began fingering me, and i let him...i don't know his health status and i dint see him anymore...i have read a lot about Stds and it is said that gloves should be used for this types of things...i dint know if he had some precum in his fingers when he touched me or is he had cuts or sores...I'm really worried and ashamed..i cannot tell this to my parents...do you think a test is warranted?
i know this kind of questions have been answered before because i have read a lot about...however i cannot be quiet and the more i read the more i get worried...i also know that getting a test is the only way of being sure but the fact is that if i want a test I'll have to worry my parents and i will do it only if it's really necessary.

There is your very first post. You were told then that you did NOT have a risk for HIV infections. You didn't like those answers and you put the following spin on it.

Do you know if there are cases of infection through piercings or tattoos? everyone says that those are risky in terms of hiv

Again you didn't like those answers. Then you say it's because of the following.

i asked about the tattoos and piercings because the guy had ones and i wanted to know if he can be infected through that way...

You didn't have a risk and weather the guy had piercings and tattoos doesn't matter. NO RISK TO YOU AT ALL.  Now are you starting to understand? NO RISK. There is no use what so ever to keep searching the web to come up with notions that you need to test. YOU DON'T NEED TO TEST, WE WON'T TELL YOU TO TEST. IF YOU WANT TO TEST, YOU WILL BE DOING IT BECAUSE YOU WANT TO, NOT FOR A REASON THAT WE TOLD YOU TO.

Offline Dani

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 05:49:42 pm »
hey :S i did like your answers that's why i'm still posting here..

Offline Dani

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 01:01:24 pm »
ok..last question i think...is it true that u can buy an hiv test in the farmacy?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 02:02:17 pm »
Dani,

Yes, you can buy hiv testing kits in a pharmacy but you have to send them off for the results. It's not like a home pregnancy test. I think you might have to show proof of age, but I could be wrong about that.

You don't need to test unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dani

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 06:55:12 pm »
Hi..i'd decided not to post again because thanks you i knew i had no risk...however i kept on reading the forum because sometimes i'm sceared dont know why and because it's interesting
i wanted to ask if it is true that hiv cannot be passed from a female to another female through sex...it's said that sharing sex toys can be risky but it would be the same as fingering with precum on the fingers or something like that which is supposed to be only a theorically risk...

well this is only for curious, just let me know if this forum can only be used for personal concerns..

thanks one more time

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 09:06:04 pm »
Dani,

Other STD's such as chlamydia, genital herpes and gonnorhoea to name a few would be the main concern when sharing sex toys. As far as I understand it there has not been a case of HIV being transmitted in this way between women.

MtD

Offline Dani

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 09:16:12 pm »
well i read that there were a few documented cases of infection from female to female..and it was said that surely it had happened because they shared sex toys and there was a lot of unprotected fingering and oral...i want to believe they "forgot" that they may share drug needles or that they had been with a men before..

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 09:20:06 pm »
well i read that there were a few documented cases of infection from female to female..and it was said that surely it had happened because they shared sex toys and there was a lot of unprotected fingering and oral...i want to believe they "forgot" that they may share drug needles or that they had been with a men before..

Yeah, I've got the feeling those "cases" aren't substantiated. My understanding is that they were more likely as result of sharing contaminated injecting equipment. Another thing is that people are notoriously dishonest when it comes to relating their sexual behaviour. Many lesbians have sexual relationships with males. Many "gay" men have sex with women.

What we do and what we say we do are so often very different.

MtD

Offline Dani

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 12:42:26 pm »
Hi..i'm asking here everytime i have a doubt about hiv because it's a scary thing and i'd like to be informed about it whether i had a risk or not...i like your answers and i was told that i had no risk so i wont begin to wonder about symphtoms but i have been confused about that...those symphtoms that worryies many persons should appear one or two month after the exposure or they can appear any time? or i am confusing the primoinfection symphtoms with the aids ones?

i know u dont disscus about sympthoms because they cannot tell u anything, but i'm not looking for symphtoms in my body, i'm looking for information...every website seems to show different information.

Thank you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 01:40:46 pm »
Dani,

The bottom line here is that if you are worried about your hiv status regardless of us telling you there was no risk in what you brought to us, then go test, collect your negative and move on with your life. It's that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scared785634

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2006, 04:37:39 pm »
Hey Dani,
I had the same exact problem, I am 15 tho and i also got fingered when i didnt want to and i was continuosly worrying for about a month. Then i found this site and they told me the same exact things they are tellin yu and i calmed down. Now i know that i am still HIv negative and i am protecting myself from becoming postive. Dont worry you are still negative!
- Katie =]

Offline Dani

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2006, 06:18:13 pm »
Thanks for the supportive words Katie  :)

Offline scared785634

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 09:21:09 pm »
No problem. I know how you are feeling right now... and you should just calm down. First of all the guy probably doesnt even have the HIv virus and even if he did you wouldnt have caught it. I mean think about if.. if the HIv virus was passed though fingering then probably 75% if not more teens would all be infected because at some point or another they are fingered...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.