Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:46:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 225
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: my risky exposure  (Read 27003 times)

Offline laora

• Standard
my risky exposure
« on: December 31, 2010, 07:23:17 am »
espected moderators 5 month's before i was having a sexual exposure with a commercial sex worker..We had a protected vaginal sex but before that protected vaginal sex the girl performed unprotected blowjob on me for about 5 mins.She also sucked my balls...after the sex was over I found the condom was intact on my penis and at the top of the condom I saw my sperms was inside the condom,but the outside of the condom was wet.
1) as i did not noticed any blood on her mouth what was the risk of HIV from getting blowjob..as there is no reported cases of HIV from blowjob U cannot say that HIV cannot pass through blowjob as it is not proved.
2)Was there any chances that the condom may have leaked a little that cannot be seen with bare eyes? If the condom breaked then was my sperm get out my condom?
3)when I can be sure that the condom did not leak or break?how can i be sure?

Offline laora

• Standard
Re: my risky exposure
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:31:57 am »
I also forgot to mention that at teh base of my penis there was a small scratch due to itching.which was not coverd by condom..so vaginal fluid can come in contact with the scrath which may infected me with HIV...So do I need to test for HIV? what was the chance that i may got infected?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:01:12 am »
You are worrying needlessly. You used a condom for intercourse which is exactly what you ought to do everytime. They provide very effective protection. If a condom fails it is not about some teeny weeny hole. That's a myth. When a condom fails the whole thing goes and it ends up looking like a hoop with fringe on your penis.

Receiving oral is one of the most common of sexual acts. In the entire history of the epidemic  no matter what the variety of specific details of the event, there has never been even one confirmed case of transmission to the receiver in that manner. It's safe to say you aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

There's no need for testing nor for further concern on your part. We do recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. So a full test at least annually is a good idea. Otherwise there is nothing to be worrying about in relation to the incident which brough you here.
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:58:57 am »
ok thanks a lot but can u plz tel me that wether there is any chace abouth the SCRATCH area of my penis which was in touch with vaginal fluid

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:56:05 am »
laora,

No, you cannot become infected with hiv through a little scratch that wasn't covered by the condom.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies. Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

Also, hiv can only infect a very few, very specific types of cells and these cells are not found in small cuts, scrapes or scratches.

You wore a condom for intercourse. The important thing is that the head of your penis was covered. You were protected against hiv.

You did not have a risk for hiv infection during any of the activities you wrote about. You do not need to test over this situation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 04:32:05 am »
hello i think tat i used MANFORCE condom...but i do not know that wether it is latex or not. from internet i find that MANFORCE condom is (A pack of 10 Manforce Banana flavoured 3-in-1 Extra Time condoms. The condom is Ribbed, Contoured & Dotted for extra pleasure. A condom with a specially formulated lubricant to help your love making last longer.
Lubricated premium quality electronically tested condoms from Mankind Pharma Ltd.

Packing: 10 Pcs.)......so can it protect from HIV?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 04:59:38 am »
laora,

As latex condoms are the most common world-wide and also the least expensive, I have no doubt that the condom the sex worker used was latex. Remember, sex workers use condoms to protect themselves, not you.

If you cannot let go of this no risk incident, go test and collect your negative result. As it happened five months ago, your result will be conclusive if you do decide to test.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:00 am »
thanks a lot...today i bought the packet of same company(MAN FORCE) it is written here that the condoms are manufactured by CONVEX LATEX PVT LTD...m nw sure that it was a latex condom....thanks a lot again and happy new year

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:02:47 am »
That's a good way to begin the New Year...letting go of unwarranted fears and moving on with a committment to use condoms everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse.

That's the way to go.

Cheers!
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 12:27:46 pm »
jst one questions,plzzz....i fr gt to mention u tat the condom tat i used,may be used by my friend with the same sex worker as the friend informed me that the sex worker putted the condom with her under the bed after the sex...so aftr 5 mins I started vaginal intercrse with that same condom....bt after the sex i found my semen inside he condom and it stayed firm in my penis and did not break..
1) vaginal fluid that remained in the condom when my friend was doing sex mey get in my penis...
2) CDC r claiming that they have documented cases that man get HIV from getting blowjob...where as the doctors of THE BODY forum are claiming that peoples are reportedly become infected from oral sex.....so how u can say that there is no risk from geting blowjob.........................so ccan u plz explain my risk..plz

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »
It seems to me that if the condom had been used by your friend you would have known it. So this is more of that "what if" stuff.

We are not responsible for what you may find on other sites and we're not going to get into a back and forth about that with you. Theoretically anything other than sex with your own hand could be a risk. But we know from long experience and scientific data that the only confirmed risks are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Receiving a blowjob is absolutely not a risk for HIV transmission. Period.

And if you continue to search the web I can guarantee you that you will find misinformation to feed your worst fears.

You had a non-risk incident and you just don't seem willing to accept that. You can if you wish waste resources and get tested if you want to just to relieve your mind. You can do that and collect the inevtiable negative result.

If you come back with more of these unwarranted fears you are definitely going to find yourself getting that Time Out which Ann has warned you about.   
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:05:40 pm »
thanks alot sir...but my friend told me that he didi nt ejaculated so teh sex worker put the condom rolled from his penis in the same packet..tat is for sure ..so m nt sure wethr the same condom ws used by me as the used condom ws with the sex worker and she puted it in my penis...so plz mke it clear to me tat wetr it is a risk..plz...if i get banned fr tis questn ten i hb nothng to do.plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 01:11:49 pm »
Even IF your friend is HIV positive, you still wouldn't have been at risk. HIV is a fragile virus and would not be in a viable form in a used condom. You continue to worry needlessly.

In the future you could avoid some of your concerns by bringing your own condoms when you are going to have intercourse.
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 06:38:26 am »
respected moderators as evry bdy in this forum states that HIV is a fragile virus...do nt survives outside the body...so no body can say that how long can it survives outside the body say 1 min or 5 mins.so as i used a condom used by my friend for sex with sex worker may be after 5 mins...my friend did nt ezaculated inside the condom but there may be vaginal fluid of that sex worker in the folds of the condom....so as no bdy cn say surely that how long the HIV virus cn stay in the folds of the condom..H ow can u justify my HIV risk....
my friend had sex with the same sex worker

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:25 am »
The answers aren't going to change from what you on Medhelp or what you post here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 08:33:19 am »
laora,

We've already been over this with you and as Rodney says, our answers are not going to change.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »
respected moderator i have done my HIV test(ELISA) OF HIV 1 & 2 ANTIBODIES.....the result is 0.027 OD...and written here NON REACTIVE if OD lower than 0.40 OD....is the test reliable?

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 03:10:05 pm »
i did the ELISA test aftr six mnths of exposure...can ELISA test be reliable?cn there be a false negetive report?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »
Yes, the ELISA test is reliable. It's reliable at 13 weeks. In your case it's totally irrelevant because as you were told numerous times you never had a risk to begin with and testing was not necessary.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

And if you start coming back here with more what ifs and unfounded worries about your status, you will very quickly find yourself getting a Time Out again or being banned permanently. HIV is not a problem for you even though you don't seem willing to believe that.

Cut out all this unnecessary drama and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:35 pm »
thanks a lot ANDY,ANN and evry members in the forum...........byee

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 02:18:52 pm »
PLZ one more questn..plz frgb me....it is written in tis forum in the guide to testing for HIV tat It's extremely rare for seroconversion to take more than six months to develop detectable antibodies.

No diagnostic test will ever be 100 percent reliable, but if you test negative at the appropriate time (i.e., 13 weeks after possible exposure to the virus), you can consider that to be a dependable confirmation that you are HIV negative.........so can it tke mre tan 6 mnts to detect antibody???????????????????????????????????

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »
A 6 months testing date is only indicated for those who have been longterm intravenous drug users, have cancer or an organ transplant.

Otherwise 13 weeks is sufficient and reliable. You need to stop with the doubts and the what ifs.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »
Hi MR ANDY VELZ m asking u one thing..plz do not get angry with me..and plz do not give me time out....can u plz tel me will aintigen detectable first than antibody? when one can do antigen testing after an risky exposure?what are the types of standard ANTIBODY testing?IS ELISA antibody testing?Can ELISA give false negetive test report at 6 months? I am asking you tis cuz I talked today with a very well known doctor of our town regarding my exposure,and I also told him abouth you valuable advice.but He scolded me and said that I was in a low risk exposure,and told me to do ANTIGEN test again or CD4 count test...He told me tat as my ELISA test after 6 mnths showed 0.027 OD,the doctor said tat tat as the count was so low it might be FALSE NEGETIVE result...I am feeling realy nervous.....plz reply..I honestly respct u and belv u...m waiting for ur kind reply....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 12:37:09 pm »
Laora, an ELISA isnot going to give you a false negative at 6 months.

Are you still talking in relation to the non-risk incident which brought you here months ago? Because if youare we're simply not going to discuss the matter any further. You didn't have a risk and there's no need for testing.
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 12:47:21 pm »
andy velz I am realy greatful to you....u r GOD to me...sir is there any difference between RAPID ELISA,new generation ELISA or standard ELISA? sir what does ELISA test do?will it detect HIV 1&2 antibodies? That doctor told me tat if I tested ELISA aftr 3 mnths and again after 6 mnths and if both is negetive ten no need to test..so as I did not test after 3mnts so a single negetive test aftr 6 mnths might be false negetive...Is it true sir?

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »
sir is there any difference between RAPID ELISA,new generation ELISA or standard ELISA? sir what does ELISA test do?will it detect HIV 1&2 antibodies? That doctor told me tat if I tested ELISA aftr 3 mnths and again after 6 mnths and if both is negetive ten no need to test..so as I did not test after 3mnts so a single negetive test aftr 6 mnths might be false negetive...Is it true sir

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 01:21:30 pm »
At 13 weeks all generations of tests currently in use will give a reliable result. And yes, your test covers both HIV 1 & 2.

You really need to let go of this now and get on with your life.  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:18:50 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »
but sir I did nt do the test at 13 weeks...i did it aftr 6 mnths...cn it be false negetive as I did nt test at 13 weeks?

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 01:49:39 pm »
but sir I did nt do the test at 13 weeks...i did it aftr 6 mnths...cn it be false negetive as I did nt test at 13 weeks?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 02:33:50 pm »
If 3 months is conclusive and you tested at 6 months. what does that tell you? Means you tested three months longer than need be.

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 02:42:10 pm »
so u r telling tat longer than 3 mnths is much more accurate?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 02:58:51 pm »
No that is not what I said. I said if 3 months is conclusive and you tested at 6 months it is also conclusive. You wouldn't have had to test beyond 3 months had you tested at that time.

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 03:11:48 pm »
So a single antibody test at 3 mnths mark is 100% reliable??????????????

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 03:26:28 pm »
So a single antibody test at 3 mnths mark is 100% reliable??????????????
How many times have you been told that 3 months is conclusive?

■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 03:32:13 pm »
 It's extremely rare for seroconversion to take more than six months to develop detectable antibodies.....in tis forum it is written......so wat does it mean tat it may be possible not to get detectable antibodies at 6 mnths?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »
The only instances in which it is known to take up to 6 months for seroconversion are situations in which involve extensive intravenous drug use, organ transplants and treatment for a disease like cancer.

I have no reason to believe any of those apply to you. As for more than 6 months, I am sure if you indulge yourself in surfing the web you will find exceptions of questionable veracity to scare yourself with. We're not going to go there with you.

If you can back with more of these what ifs you are going to get a Time Out. HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »
laora,

You never had a risk for hiv infection in the first place and you've been repeatedly told that a three month negative is conclusive.

Come back with more about this no-risk, conclusive negative situation and you will be given a second time out, which will last for 56 days.

Please consider yourself warned for the LAST time!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline laora

• Standard
HIV antibody test
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 01:57:19 pm »
I was strucked with a NEEDLE 84 days back..today id 85 th days going on tat is 12 weeks..so is dere is any difference in reliability in 12 weeks and 13 weeks antidody test(ELISA) result? Plz reply me so tat i will test tommorw

Offline laora

• Standard
Re: HIV antibody test
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »
by 3 months what do u mean?12 weeks or 13 weeks?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »
Either 12 or 13 weeks are equal to the same thing for getting a reliable result.

Stop making things so complicated. Get your test and collect what I expect will be a negative result.

Also, I have merged your threads here. Please follow our rule and make all entries in this same thread without beginning new ones. 
Andy Velez

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:36 am »
I have been in a relationshp with a woman for 15 yrs.we did not know each other s HIV status.bt I did not have ne multiple partners,& she also told tat she has no other partners.we did unprotected sex many many times& I was not scared abouth HIV.but one year back I had protected sex &unprotected oral with a commercial sex worker.& I was so scared tat I did HIV test[ELiSA HIV 1&2 antibody] thrice at 6th,8th& 9 months mark.all those test ws negetive.I ws scared only due to my exposure with sex worker not with that woman.after my negetive result I again started unprotected sex with tat woman with whom I ws doing sex for so many years.bt suddenly I ws scared tat if the woman has multiple partners,so asked her many tmes wether she has multiple partners,she replied tat I m is only partner..bt still my mind does nt belv her..what do u think tat should I go for test??? What do u conclude after reading my story.is tat woman lying???is elisa HIV 1&2 antibody test is 3rd generation test???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:08 am »
Laora,

You do  not have hiv from your experience with the sex worker, which is no surprise because protected intercourse is not a risk for hiv infection and neither is getting a blowjob.

If you cannot trust your partner, then the answer is simple. Use condoms with her until she agrees to test. If you have reason to believe she's having intercourse with others during your relationship, then you should keep using condoms regardless of her testing. Remember, there are other more easily transmitted STIs out there.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 07:42:21 am »
But as I told that even after the test I have done unprotected sex few weeks back which is after my HIV test..shall I go for test???is HIV antibody test at 6•8 weeks conclusive???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 07:45:46 am »
Laora,

While a six week (or more) negative test result is highly unlikely to change, the only conclusive result is one at the three month point.

Test all you like, but if you cannot trust your partner, then you should be using condoms with her instead of testing all the time.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:09 am »
 I mean uprotectected sex with that woman with whom I have been doing sex for so long time

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54:57 am »
 Bt DR H Hunter& DR Hook use to advice in medhelp tat 6•8 weeks antibody test is 100% reliable..ten why tis forum is still sayin 3 mnths test is reliable

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 08:48:05 am »
I mean uprotectected sex with that woman with whom I have been doing sex for so long time

Yes, I understand. However, you do not seem to be able to trust her. If this is the case, perhaps you should use condoms with her until such time as you have both tested negative together and are securely monogamous.

We go by the CDC's recommendation of a three month window for a conclusive result. The British hiv authority also goes by the three month window. I do expect the window period to eventually drop to six weeks, but for now it remains at three months.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2011, 01:09:03 pm »
hey......i got this news...it is an authentic news from DAILY NEWS AND ANALYSIS.......THE NEWS IS .......HIV, according to experts, is not normally transmitted through saliva. Transmission of the virus from the host is possible when saliva is mixed with blood.

In an unusual case, which should make the experts revisit their earlier position, a 50-year-old man has contacted HIV through his son’s saliva.

The man was bitten by his 32-year-old HIV positive stepson. But the latter did not have ulcers in his mouth, which usually leads to saliva getting mixed with blood.

Documented instances speak of the presence of the virus in saliva, but transmission takes place only in the above case.

“The son had pulled out the thumb nail of his father. Since the wound was raw, the virus could enter easily,” said Dr Alaka Deshpande, who runs the Centre of Excellence ART clinic at JJ hospital. The patient had come to her last year.

To understand the case better, the doctors wanted to verify if the father carried the same virus that has infected his son. Deshpande then sent the patient to National Institute of Research in Reproductive Health for further testing.

Dr AH Bandivdekar and Dr Shivaji Jadhav from the department of biochemistry and virology did gene sequencing of the HIV virus in the father and the son’s blood and concluded that both viruses were the same. “This confirmed the source of the HIV virus. Also, the son’s saliva had a high viral load which may have also caused the transmission,” said Dr Deshpande.

Unfortunately, the father was not given post exposure prophylaxis (PEP), a short-term anti-retroviral treatment given to reduce the likelihood of HIV infection after potential exposure. The family doctor told him that the virus cannot spread via saliva.

“He was admitted to JJ hospital for meningitis. After four days, he told us about this history. His blood was then sent for HIV testing and he was discovered HIV positive,” said Deshpande. She stressed that family physicians should know about HIV infected human bites and should treat it with PEP, in which the treatment should start within two hours of the potential exposure.

The father’s viral load was more than 20 lakh then. “He was treated as per US guidelines so that the virus does not spread to other organs. After treatment his viral load came down.” This case study was presented at the International Conference on Emerging Frontiers and Challenges in HIV/AIDS Research by Dr Jadhav to show that HIV infected human bites should be treated with PEP. ...............................................................................................SO IT IS PROVED THAT HIV IS TRANSMITED THROUGH SALIVA..............SO Y IN TIS FORUM U R TELLING THAT SALIVA CANT SPREAD HIV??????????????????????????PLZ REPLY                                                                                                             

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2011, 01:27:47 pm »
We reply using science that is not over 15 years old, and we reply using first tiered peer-reviewed studies as well as documentation, which the above case you sought out is sorely lacking.

No one has gotten HIV through getting a blowjob.

You do not get HIV through saliva. Period.

Were saliva a vector for transmission, HIV would be considered communicable and contagious rather than infectious.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline laora

• Standard
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 01:44:12 pm »
THE ANSWER WAS GIVEN BY WELL KNOWN DOCTOR OF INDIA....AND THEY HAVE DONE A TEST WHICH PROVES THAT SON AND FATHER HAS SAME VIRUS..SO PLZ READ IT CAREFULLY THAT WITHOUT THE PRESENSE OF BLOOD FATHER BECAME POSITE FROM HIS SON S BITE,WHICH CONTAINS ONLY SALIVA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.