Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:48:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question of Numbers  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Question of Numbers
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:18:11 am »
Talked with William tonight and he finally got his numbers back..   These dont make sense but this is what they have been coming back for along time now in as much as low vl and high %.  He has yet to see the Hematologist..

Cd4 86
CD4 percentage 28%
vl 28,000 - up 10,000 over the past six months..

His percentage has always been extremly high and his vl is nothing huge...   I hope they can figure this out.  He sees the Hematologist next week then Ben will review the findings..  Will is not on any anti-virals and has never been.

Eric
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:29:08 am by Life »

Offline Jeffreyj

Re: Question of Numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:50:29 am »
How come he's never been on meds. Think it's getting to be that time?
God bless Eric, I hope you two can find peace.
Positive since 1985

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:03:38 am »
Yeah, I don't get it Eric.  Maybe you could provide a brief summary of the backstory here because I don't recall all of it, and I'm too lazy to go and research your old posts.

But whatever, he should have been on meds like yesterday.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:55:08 am »
I feel he was trying to do everything healthy and trying to get his cd4's to come back over the past six months.  He was around 200+ in December and now at 86.  He has been under alot of undue stress with quiting his job, moving out of our home here and relocating as well as dealing with very ill parents.   I have tried my best to tell him that can only go so far.   Dr. Ben is still working on why his percentage remains high yet his cd4's are in the crapper.   But this has been consistnat.   CD4's around 300 and and his percentages over 30% and viral load at 1,500 for a very long time.   I have never seen numbers that dont add up like Williams...   At least he is now at the forefront of working with Dr. Ben and they are all over him with finding out whats going on.   He is probably in better care being where he is.   I still worry about him and I hope there is a good outcome to whatever treatment or whatever they find that is causing these numbers to be so inverted in relationship to eachother....  I am clueless....

Thats about all I can ofer in back story...

Eric

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:00:39 am »
OK, but that still doesn't answer the question of why he's waited so long past the 350 cd4 count CDC recommendation for commencing treatment.  Or are you trying to say that this all plummeted in the past month or two?  I'm still confused on the timeline.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:30:07 am »
Unknown why he did not go on meds at 350.   Either his cd% was showing he was in better shape.  He still holds a 28% marker which if you do the math does not equate to 86 cd4 counts right?  His platelett level is extremly bad right now and I know the office is trying to figure out what is going on without prior to meds.  He does not share everything with me unfortuantely..

Eric

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45:29 am »
Unknown why he did not go on meds at 350.   Either his cd% was showing he was in better shape.  He still holds a 28% marker which if you do the math does not equate to 86 cd4 counts right?  His platelett level is extremly bad right now and I know the office is trying to figure out what is going on without prior to meds.  He does not share everything with me unfortuantely..

Eric

I believe the CDC protocol is to look at total cd4 counts, not the %, when basing the decision to start meds.  He's way past due, and while he may not share everything with you obviously you know what his lab numbers are.  How insistent are you with the issue?  It's not really my place to offer an analysis of your relationship with your now ex-lover, but you know this is kind of a big deal.  And IIRC you're now funding his medical expenses and insurance, so in fact you have some leverage.  Whether you chose to utilize this leverage is up to you.  I know what I would do.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 11:34:26 am »
I have tried my best to tell him that can only go so far.

Dear Eric,

You have told William how you feel about this and now it's time for you to learn to let go.  No matter how much you love him, you cannot force him to follow your advice.  I find the fact that he does not share all of his medical information with you, almost cruel, because you only have part of the picture.  However, what would bother me the most is the fact that he is so cavalier about his health.  With all that we know about treating HIV, I am dumbfounded that he has refused to consider antivirals, if for nothing else, to help increase his CD4s.

I know you love him and want what is best for him, but what about you?  Stuff like this will just keep ripping your heart out and at some point, you need to pull back and do what is best for you.  I am not suggesting that you stop loving or caring about him, just that you accept your inability to change how he treats his infection.  We can love someone, while not always liking the choices they make.  However, his decisions and any resulting drama, should be viewed from afar, because you know that every time you try to get too close, you get burned.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:47:23 pm »
Its not alot of fun letting go but I am working on it...   Thanks for your words of concern for me.   I am starting to realize that I can survive on my own.   Alot of people are kicking my ass up and down trying to shake me loose a bit.   I do not enjoy "change" and I get into a routine that is now gone.   Not that our lives together were that, they were just comfortable in knowing we had each other.   Now that he is in trouble, I hope he finds the resources he needs to survive.  I have seen alot in my short time in being hiv positive..  I want him to have the same opportunities I was given in the beginning.   I know he has one of the best doc's working on him.  I just hope he heeds his advise and gets started on a regimen that will at least keep us together for many more years even just as good friends who shared alot of time together once upon a time....

Hugs,

Eric

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:02:30 am »
I really agree with Kill here Eric. It is time to start taking a stand for yourself so you don't get burned. I understand it's not easy to let go, but some times we must do what is best for ourselves. I hope the best for you ole bud.
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.