Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:43:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Update  (Read 3242 times)

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
Update
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:53:29 am »
Hello again everyone,

It's 4:00 am EST USA and figured it was time for another Louie Update.

It's been crazy lately.  Now he has high blood pressure on top of everything else.  The KS is still gone, t-cells are back over 200 and undetectable.  He's still on TPN, since October.  1600 ml a day for 16 hours flow rate.  No albumin for the past few months. 

Stopped Procrit for a few months, doc thought it was causing High Blood Pressure, starting on Procrit again.  He had to have another blood transfusion this past Wednesday, 3 units.  What a LOOOONNNNGGGG day.  Got there at 7am and we were finally done around 10:30pm  They also were going to see if he had fluid buildup in his abdomen area and take it out.  No fluid.  For some reason the doctor can't explain his ehmaglobin and hematicrit rates are low again.  It sems like every few months he needs another transfusion.

Doc put him on an anti-anxiety med, he started taking it on Saturday and now all hell has broken loose.  Because his belly is huge again he's had a hard time sleeping, now it's worse.  Which is why I'm writing this at now 4:15am.  Sunday morning he took his pills and then said he thinks he double dosed and not sure which one's.  An hour later he's trying to take pain pills again.  It was a struggle but I stopped him from doing that.  It was an all day struggle.

He's seeing things, thinks I put his pills in front of him and now took them away.  When I do give him his pills, 5 minutes later he's asking where his pills are.  He's dropping cigarettes left and right, burned many holes in his clothes, all over his mothers house on the rug and even her couch.  Doc said this is all side effects of the anti-anxiety drug so we stopped it.  Actually the only thing I gave him after Sunday morning was his HIV meds and pain pills as directed.  Plus his blood pressure meds of course.  Doc said the half life is 30 hours and he should be his self again.  Well it's been at least 40 hours right now and I'm stuggling with him all night.  One minue he's hot, the next he's cold, taking hs shirt off, leaving the shirt to hand between his pic line and the TPN.  He's gotten the tubing tangled on a few occassions.  His home health nurse came by Monday morning and he managed to pull a stitch that's holding the pic line in place so she taped it down for now.

This was VERY quick.  I asked the doctor's nurse if this was medicated related or dementia, she said it may be both.  Only time will tell in a few days if he get's better or not.  We'll have to take it one day at a time.

In the meanwhile it looks like I'm not going to be sleeping much.  His mom is 87 yrs old and Sunday took a tole on her.  She's bugging me to do something and yet there's nothing we can do right now except to keep an eye on him.  So needless to say she's been driving me up a wall.  So I took him home like I normally do on Monday afternoons.  Tried going to bed at 11:30pm, woke me up at 12:30am and it's been an ongoing battle since.

Have to call in to work again today, missed 2 out of 3 days last week, thank god they understand and would allow me to take the family leave if needed.  I'll definitely be calling the doc first thing when his office opens and begging him to get me some help.

We'll be changing home health agencies to one that will go from our home to his mom's home.  Right now the only one we have won't go to 2 places.  This one has a hospice part to them as well.  This was docs suggestion, he'll get the paperwork going.  That'll be a big help especially to do labs more regularly as well as to better monitor his condition.  Maybe it'll give me a break.

I'm glad I did a search on here about dementia.  It has helped me a lot and will probably prevent us from arguing.  I have Power of Attorney and Health Care surrogacy for him.  We argued about his meds and I told him if he took more than he should I'd have him put away for a few days because he's a danger to himself.  He told me if I did that he would never talk to me again and leave me.  The trailer we live in is in both names and because I didn't have my drivers license the Jeep is only in his name, though I am a co-signer on the loan.  It's paid off in September.  So he told me I had better not go anywhere in HIS vehicle.  Or to be careful in HIS vehicle.  I know he's not in his right mind so I'm learning to go with the flow.

He seems to be calming down a bit and not so aggitated.  It's now 4:43am and I'm going to try to get some sleep, hopefully he won't try to play the "Why won't you help me" game.  He keeps asking me to help him, I ask him what can I do for him to help and he keeps saying I don't know.  Then when I try to close my eyes for a cat nap, he's like "Honey your closing your eyes".

He's being very unreasonable and uncooperative right now.  I'm just afraid if I have to drive somewhere I'm going to fall asleep at the wheel.

Sorry this is a long post, just needing to vent for a bit.
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline RapidRod

Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:49:42 am »
Rev, you are doing all that you can possible do. You do need to get some sleep. I hope stopping the meds, does the trick for you. Just hang in there the new home healthcare will be there before you know it to relieve you of some of your stress. I was also going to put worries but I know that wouldn't work for you. Take care..

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:54:42 am »
You are an angel.  You must have tons of patience.  Just remember to take care of you! 
Love is being sent your way! ;)
Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:02:40 am »
Hi Michael,

One thing you might want to get the doctors to investigate is the possibility of stroke. My mother-in-law was having small strokes that affected her behaviour instead of motor skills. She would slowly come out of it over a period of a few days.

Another thing that can cause mental confusion is bladder infection. Had this with the mother-in-law as well.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a struggle right now and I hope Louie feels more himself very soon. Don't forget to take good care of yourself right now! I'll be sending some love, light and positive healing thoughts your way.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:31:32 am »
Michael, I am so sorry to hear this.

Stay strong my friend.   Prayers and blessings to you....

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:15:19 am »
Hey Michael,

Wow, you have had your hands full. I would echo what the others said and add that you should investigate having someone take care of him for a day or some such to give you a break.

I am sending much positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:08:30 pm »
TY everyone for the kind words and support.  Just got home from my part-time day job.  Got at least 3 hours of sleep total and getting ready for a nap.  He's actually doing a bit better today and realized this morning that he's been forgetful, he's not sure why but he knows something is wrong.  Doc said that's a good sign that the meds are almost out of his system that he had a reaction to.

He's been more careful with his smoking as well.  But still nodds off mid sentence most of the time.  He told me he loves me and trusts me completely.  He says he understands that I'm trying to get him more help as well as help for his mom and I to help take care of him.  He even said we can definitely use the help, he's a handful at times.

We're switching home health agencies.  The new one has hospice, home health and private duty nurses.  This agency will be able to send someone out when his mom and I need a break and help keep an eye on him, plus if he gets worse the switch over to hospice would be an easier one.

PLUS, this agency works in both counties so when we're home during the week we can get help and when we're at his mom's house on the weekends, we can get help there as well.

WOW, what a relief.  I'll keep everyone updated.  I guess this is the bumpy road that lies ahead.

Well such is life!
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 03:17:55 pm »
Rev,
Glad to hear that things are a bit better.  You are a strong person but don't forget yourself.  You have to remember every so often step away and take a deep breath.  Here is a huge hug! {RevMC}
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 03:19:31 pm »
You are a good man Charlie Brown....hang in there.

Hal

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 07:30:08 pm »
Rev,

I'm glad things are getting better for you. After things get settled with the new hospice maybe you can get some sleep. You definitely are a blessing and I'm sure Louie knows this.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Iggy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 08:42:38 pm »
Rev,

I'm truly in awe of all that you do.  I hope the new home health agency allows you a little more breathing room.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.