Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:17:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 335
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Legal issues at work  (Read 3127 times)

Offline gavelkind

Legal issues at work
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »
So, in Dec, I was hired at my current job in a behind the scenes job. It was doing something I liked but at a lower pay, and it was a one year contract job. Two months in, a new Director joined when the older one moved on. The new director kept insisting I was a salesperson when she joined. She insisted I would be able to sell our product easily. At one point I expressed in a meeting about how I was not right for that position because I have communication issues, and how I had been hired for a different job. After 30 mins of explaining to her that I had communication issues, she told me, " I don't get your point with this discussion." She refuses to listen to anyone and even when we ask for help, she dismisses everyone. Keep in mind that this is a NYC job. Tax-payer money is going to a city agency where our boss encourages us to lie to the public about the misleading services we offer. I've complained to other co-workers and they agree with my points. In fact, they have their own issues and have offered to help me by hooking me up with the numbers I need to call! So, after a few weeks of keeping my mouth shut, I met with a manager and after he promised that none of the information I gave him would be used against me, I complied. I told him about how I'm seeing a therapist to deal with my communication and trust issues, and that working in an environment with such a toxic vibe was overwhelming. I had become depressed due to unrealistic goals when they would refuse to offer me any guidance or training. That for someone who doesn't like talking and has major trust issues, a sales position was unrealistic especially when they refuse to offer ways to help and cope. My manager said he understood and agreed and would talk to our boss. An hour later, I was fired for not performing well. Everyday we meet with managers and we go into detail about how we spend our days, and never had they called me out on ANYTHING. Now all of a sudden Im not performing? Thing is, that this happened to someone else recently too. Someone at work gave me the number of the last person at our job who was fired, and I called him. Turns out he was fired right after admitting he was seeing a therapist and has mental issues. He had also been hired at that job for a behind the scenes role, and was also placed in a completely opposite role when she took over. She has racist and homophobic undertones in her words too. She thought I was straight at first and when a conversation where I was seeking guidance and started to open up t her, she told me to man up and thought that was good advice. I am thinking of going to  her boss and explaining these issues in a calm and smooth manner, yet I'm being told to get in touch with a lawyer over this. I called a center my social worker recommended and waiting to hear back, but wanted to see if somebody has advice? Things she has been doing are legally wrong when it comes to permanent employees (they can't get fired once they're a perm city employee), but I'm a contract employee. Yet knowing the only two people who have been fired are two gay men who both admitted to seeing therapists/having mental and emotional issues we are trying to solve leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. I'm trying to put all the facts and things I know and how this all occurred. Wanted advice on how to deal with a job that discriminates against anyone who admits to having a mental/emotional issue? The other guy has what happened to him in writing (we agreed to team up), and with me it happened verbally. despite this, everyone in the office hates her, and have claimed they'd come forward if it's in an environment where they won't get punished. I'm thinking of talking to her boss, mentioning her illegal moves, and urging to talk to the whole group without her presence so they can freely express their thoughts. The majority of people at this agency are gay men and black women, and those are her main targets.
2/13- Diagnosed
3/13- CD4,  885/39%   VL, 135,542
5/13- CD4,  867/46%   VL, 553
6/13- CD4,  720/42%   VL, 32
7/13- CD4,  1095/36%  VL, <20
10/13- CD4, 884/47%   VL, 42
1/14- CD4,  1165/48%  VL, 31
2/14- CD4,  1214/46%  VL, <20
5/14- CD4,  1715/49%  VL, <20
9/14- CD4,  1135/48%  VL, <20

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Legal issues at work
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:45:18 pm »
Id say you need a lawyer. You seem too close to the situation to see it clearly.

If you are fired, I don't see how or why a current upper manager is going to talk to you about your ex-boss, without a lawyer pushing the issue, and with different people - their counsel, or HR. 

If you are fired, you are fired.

You can get a lawyer about the possible discrimination and see how being a contract worker fits in.

Tell the lawyer your "whistle blower" information. 

It won't help telling any current employee, especially in management. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:52:10 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »
I'm wishing you the best and I am sure you are already keeping an exact journal of who what when and where's so you can be consistent in your statements .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:51 pm »
PS - I am very sorry you got fired. Getting fired is the worst. Getting fired because of discrimination - grrr!   >:(
Working for a bad boss is soul killing, as well.  You should know that, unfortunately, sometimes management protects bully bosses.  Its awful, but its true. 
The only silver lining is that if that person won't disappear, you wouldn't have wanted to stay working for such a person.  I've been there. We need our jobs, money.  But the soul-killing boss is beast and its always a blessing to be removed from such a position.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline gavelkind

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:51:25 pm »
Thanks guys. I suppose it is best I just wait and try to deal with a lawyer first..

And yes, I'm taking notes, names, and dates down so I have some sort of case to start with.

I've been on an emotional roller-coaster since it happened. One minute, I'm all: I'm gonna stand up for myself! The next: I'm crying while watching Survivor. The following I'm happy looking at my garden. The next I'm pissed and want to make a point.

It really amazed me and clicked what was going on when I talked to the other guy who was fired under similar circumstances.

Are there places in NYC where I can maybe seek guidance? My social worker gave me a firm in Brooklyn, but they haven't responded to my call. I guess I'm just being impatient, but wanna get on it while I'm in a productive mood. Afraid of falling into an unproductive state. :/
2/13- Diagnosed
3/13- CD4,  885/39%   VL, 135,542
5/13- CD4,  867/46%   VL, 553
6/13- CD4,  720/42%   VL, 32
7/13- CD4,  1095/36%  VL, <20
10/13- CD4, 884/47%   VL, 42
1/14- CD4,  1165/48%  VL, 31
2/14- CD4,  1214/46%  VL, <20
5/14- CD4,  1715/49%  VL, <20
9/14- CD4,  1135/48%  VL, <20

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:48 pm »
One minute, I'm all: I'm gonna stand up for myself! The next: I'm crying while watching Survivor. The following I'm happy looking at my garden. The next I'm pissed and want to make a point.
 :/

we should hang out, sounds like we have similar evenings lately

Offline aaware72

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53:25 pm »
What was in your employment contract? 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.