Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:50:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 235
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: looking for comfort  (Read 10402 times)

Offline in the waiting game

looking for comfort
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:20:13 am »
Hello, I am new to this site. Yes I had posted a question on another site but did not really receive much response. I have been viewing your site for a couple days and I am impressed with the respose and care you exhibit. So here is my situation. I had unprotected sex on aug 10. I am married and have children. It was the stupidest thing I have ever done. My husband was working out of town for 6 mos and all my kids are young adults and busy with their own lives. I was lonely and vulnerable and made a very poor choice. I own up to it and have told my husband the entire story. He handled it with much love and compassion. I am very blessed. I have had 2 of the pcr dna test done, one was done 5 days post and the other 31 days post. both were neg. I also went to a clinic at 6 wks and 3 dys post and had a oraquick done which was also neg. I plan to go for the 12 week test for confirmation. My husband refuses to have protected sex because he says he knows I am fine. I still worry and therefore find ways to put him off. I have had some symptoms but I also have beat myself up pretty badly emotionally and I know that chronic stress and anxiety can produce symptoms as well. I need encouragement please. It is almost 8 weeks post and thinking I may go for another test. The guy I had straight vag sex with is engaged and I can not call him. His sister said at one time he had gotten into drugs and has been with several women. UUGGHH how could I have been so stupid? NEVER AGAIN!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: looking for comfort
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:31:33 am »
in,

The PCR DNA tests are not approved for diagnostic purposes.

The test that counts is your six week oraquick. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. While it is highly unlikely that your test result will change, you do need to have that three month confirmation.

If you ever find yourself in this position again, please remember to use a condom. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. To make sure they're being used properly, read through the three condom and lube links in my signature line.

I don't expect your result to change, but please do confirm at the appropriate time.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:36:18 am »
Thank you Ann
Would an eight week test be more encouraging than a six week? Also I have read where people are buying the oraquicks to perform at home in private. Do yuo know where those could be purchased? Any info would be appreciated.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:48:52 am »
in,

The ONLY hiv test approved for home use is called Home Access. From what I understand, it is available in most pharmacies or drug stores in the States.

If you want to waste your money then go ahead and test again at eight weeks, but I don't really see the point. With all the results you've had so far, you're more likely to walk outside your house and find a multi-million dollar winning lottery ticket lying in the gutter than you are to go on to test positive and you may as well wait for the three month mark.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:58:26 am »
Thank You,
 I guess fear makes one irrational in thoughts and actions. Your words have very much helped to subside my fears. I was only considering purchasing one because I am now out of state with my husband and do not know anything about this area. Anonymous testing sites etc.
You do a great service here and I for one thank you. Afterall to err is human. If we did not err then we would all be perfect. But this particular err will never grace my path again for sure. I may need more encouragement to get through this as I am alone now except my husband and as great and wonderful as he has been I am sure his ear is very tired of listening to his "hypechondriac" wife  :)
Thanks again so much!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:44:16 pm »
With those earlier negative results and particularly the one at 6 weeks, I do expect that you will continue to test negative.

Probably you will never find yourself in such a situation again, but IF you do, make sure the guy is wearing a condom. No exceptions.

Good luck with your 13 week test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:38:58 am »
Two quick questions since I am still waiting and have not gone for an eight week test. ( mostly due to not knowing this area and what is available) But here goes. Could seroconversion be dealyed by being on an antibiotic such as amoxicillin 875 mg a week after risky behavior and affect a test result?
I also read on a thread that an eight week test if neg. puts you in the 95th% of continuing to test neg. at week 12. Is this true?
Thank you in advance for your time

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:19:22 am »
No, that medication would NOT skewer your test result.

Rather than quantify it with a percentage, I would say another negative result at 8 weeks is a virtual guarantee that you're going to test negative again at 13 weeks.

Andy Velez

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 01:42:07 pm »
Well I just got back from taking my 8 week test and it was NEGATIVE! Thank you God! the std counselor said the same thing you did. He said I would have a neg result at twelve weeks as well. I am so relieved. THANK YOU for all the encouragement. I will keep you posted.

Offline What are the odds

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 01:50:53 pm »
Hey in the waiting game,

I wish I was where you are at right now. I am barely at week four. I hate this so much.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 02:36:45 pm »
Waiting is very difficult and I completely understand where you are coming from. I pray that you are well and all of your results are neg.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 03:36:34 pm »
Waiting, that's excellent news about your latest negative. I expect your next one will be another for your collection.

Stay productively busy now until then and the time will pass more quickly than you may imagine possible.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 09:17:04 am »
Ann
My apologies it wont happen again :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 09:43:24 am »
Ann
My apologies it wont happen again :)

Thanks!

I'm still expecting your conclusive test to return with negative results. Keep yourself productively busy in the mean time. Reading about hiv - including this website - does NOT qualify as "keeping busy". Get off the internet and go get some fresh air and exercise and you'll feel better, I promise.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »
Hey Guys,,
 just an update and a question. Update is I got antsy and took a finger prick test at an STD Clinic at 10 weeks and it was neg. So I am now beginning to relax a little more. Question is or rather I am confused. I have read twelve weeks is conclusive testing but then I see where some are saying thirteen weeks. If I test at twelve weeks to the day will I have to test again at thirteen weeks? Also I have read that in Australlia the test are conclusive at 6 weeks. How is that? Just curious. Not trying to start any heated debates just would like to know from a group who seems to know their stuff.
Thanks Guys,
S

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 05:34:40 pm »
Also I have read that in Australlia the test are conclusive at 6 weeks. How is that? Just curious.

In some Australian states and in Massachusetts in the USA the relevant health authorities have reduced the window period to 6 weeks because of the generation of test they use.

Nevertheless the "official" window period in the US (as determined by the CDC) 13 weeks and that is the standard to which AIDSmeds adheres. Let me add that the generation of the test being used doesn't have any impact on it's clinical usefulness. Provided that the test is administered properly and at the right time it will yield an accurate result.

We often point out that majority people who are going to test positive will have done so at the 6 week mark. Your 10 week result is pretty much a set match. You're almost certainly going to test negative at the 13 week mark.

MtD
(Who is Australian)

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 06:46:09 am »
Matty,
Thank you for your response. I have an appointment for a test at the twelve week mark. Will that be sufficient or do I need to test at 13 weeks?
I am still a little confused over that.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 06:53:35 am »
Babe,

12 weeks, 13 weeks; it's all good.

A 12 week test is the same as a 13 week test.

MtD

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 12:11:14 pm »
Thanks again Matty,
You have been very helpful. one more question, (I know you all get that alot). But when I take my twelve week test will the rapid test be ok to take? Like the ones at the STD clinic? Will the result be as acurate? Thanks so much and stay well.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 12:22:03 pm »
in,

Rapid tests are valid - otherwise they wouldn't be in use. So yes, you can use a rapid test for your conclusive three month result. I don't expect the result to be any different from your ten week result and neither should you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 03:31:48 pm »
Hello again,
Just an update. I went and had blood drawn for an Elisa 3rd generation HIV 1/2 test. Got the results today. Non reactive! Now this is twelve weeks and I am feeling much better.
Just a quick review and then I want to get on with my life.
Do I need to retest at 13 weeks? COnsidering the guy I had unprotected sex with had a drug history. I have never been a drug user or a drinker. I just want to make absolutely certain I can relax. I do still feel some tenderness or I think I do under my left arm and on the inside of my right thigh about half way down. I have not been prodding its just I feel something. Is it possible I was just so stressed that I willed my body into thinking these symptoms were real? I will test again at 13 weeks if it is neccessary but I am just so ready to put this behind me. I feel relieved and feel as if I need to just let my mind and body heal. But I very much value your opinions so please respond soon.
Thank you guys so much!!

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
By the way his sister said to her knowledge he is healthy with no illnesses. If that matters.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
Comments from his sister or from anyone are just hearsay and not something to rely upon.

A negative test result at 12 weeks is not hearsay. It's reliable. You are HIV negative and no further testing is necessary. Only an HIV test result can give you a reliable answer about HIV status.

Congratulation on that happy result. Get on with your life!
Andy Velez

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 10:03:13 am »
Andy thanks for your comforting response and I have been very happy.
However right now I just need some reassurance. The day after my twelve week negative at 84 days 7 days into twelve weeks is 84 days. I woke up with a cold or sinus deal going on. I keep reminding myself that my daughter and grandson are both sick and I have been around both of them alot. Plus I took my daughter to the DR where everybody in the waiting room was coughing and had runny noses. I just need to hear some reassurance that my twelve week test is conclusive and I need not panic.
Thank you so much

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 10:06:52 am »
My left gland is swollen amd this is the side that has been the most bothersome since sat morning.
 I don't mean to sound so panicky but I was so happy to put this behind me,

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 10:22:00 am »
my throat is scratchy feeling too. Could be sinus drainage.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 12:28:13 pm »
If you have a concern about your throat then see a doctor. You can't be diagnosed over the internet.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 12:38:59 pm »
Rod,
 I am not looking for a diagnosis. I apologize if it read that way. I have consitently tested neg. non reactive even at twelve weeks and just need some reassurance from the forum that it is more than likely coincidental timing with my family being sick and not HIV.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 01:07:53 pm »
a 12 week negative result is about as reassuring as you should expect to get.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 01:21:01 pm »
Thanks Thunter, I am beginnig to kick this bug a little. My sinuses are beginning to clear. Throat is not as scratchy. I have always had a good immune system. I just kind of freaked a little. Should I get a thirteen week test just to be absolutely certain?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 01:26:54 pm »
i surely wouldn't bother with it in your case.

that's all the hand holding you're gonna get from me.

time to move on.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 04:32:50 pm »
hand holding? no, I was just needing to hear a voice of reason as I was thinking irrationally.
if I felt the need to test again at 13 weeks the full 90 days and If a person were to be a late seroconverter and was having symptoms at the time of the test would they receive a pos result then at the time of testing during sc?
I am thinking positively for a neg result, but just curious about the question posed above.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 04:43:40 pm »
You have received your conclusive negative result. You are not a late seroconverter. You need to move on.

You should familiarise yourself with our posting guidelines (contained in the Welcome Thread) which state:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.