Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:12:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 424
Total: 425

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So confused  (Read 5790 times)

Offline michaelman333

• Chaos and reason collide
    • My Facebook
So confused
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:43:51 pm »
Ok so i have been diagnosed for about 2.5years ... I have been lurking around here and i have a serious issue inside me ...

So i have been dating a guy for almost a year and things are amazing we are doing good and it all is great ... he even proposed to me... all except for one thing ...

when we fisrt started dating he knew about my status and we were very safe... a few months ago he and i weere talking and he decided that he "loved me and knew that in the long run he would most likely get it" so he started wanting to take more risks and so far hasnt tested POZ... but i am finding it harded to take risks... he says he thinks that he can sope with teh stigma and that with having me there he will be just fine ... he says he is more worried baout my reaction...

I honestly dont think he is a bug chaser and that his intentions are true ...

Opinions, thoughts, ideas,....

i am so lost on what to do ...

Thanx gang :)
06/29/09 ---- CD4- 392 (20%)   VL-Und
02/19/09 ---- CD4- 513 (23%)   VL-Und
01/11/09 ---- Switched Atripla
11/05/08 ---- CD4- 462 (23%)   VL - Und
04/01/06 ---- CD4- 274 (19%)   VL - 1200
03/20/06 ---- Started Truvada/Azatanovir/Ritonavir
02/28/06 ---- CD4- 219 (17%)   VL - 217,000
Diagnosed HIV+ 11/30/2005

You said I was lost/Wrong again
Said I had crossed that/Line again
Made it to easy to/Scream again
Made me feel queazy/Let me in
~~MLH

Offline Florida69

Re: So confused
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:57:18 pm »
Ok so i have been diagnosed for about 2.5years ... I have been lurking around here and i have a serious issue inside me ...

So i have been dating a guy for almost a year and things are amazing we are doing good and it all is great ... he even proposed to me... all except for one thing ...

when we fisrt started dating he knew about my status and we were very safe... a few months ago he and i weere talking and he decided that he "loved me and knew that in the long run he would most likely get it" so he started wanting to take more risks and so far hasnt tested POZ... but i am finding it harded to take risks... he says he thinks that he can sope with teh stigma and that with having me there he will be just fine ... he says he is more worried baout my reaction...

Opinions, thoughts, ideas,....

i am so lost on what to do ...

Thanx gang :)

Congratulations on your nuptials.  I don't really know what to say, other than I would not want to infect anyone, and if I were your partner, I would be concerned with the guilt that would plague you if he were to be infected by you.  Good luck to you,  D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:07:17 pm »
he says he thinks that he can cope with teh stigma and that with having me there he will be just fine ... he says he is more worried baout my reaction...

He needs a good dose of REALITY.   There is a LOT more to dealing with HIV than just fighting the "stigma".    You say you don't think he is a bug chaser.....but it sure seems that way to me.   Let's see what others in the forums think....

We seem to see a lot of this 'cavalier' attitude these days -- HIV is no big deal, I'll just take a pill if I need to and go on about my business.     Someone's going to be in for a HUGE surprise....and not the good kind.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:09:16 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:22:56 pm »
I'd veer more towards a pathologically unhealthy way to "bond" with you, especially considering that there's never a guarantee that a relationship will last as long as HIV.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:51:39 pm »
He needs a good dose of REALITY.   There is a LOT more to dealing with HIV than just fighting the "stigma".    You say you don't think he is a bug chaser.....but it sure seems that way to me.   Let's see what others in the forums think....

Preach, brother!   MM333, I don't know what the rules on sexual exclusivity are for this relationship, but I'd hate to see you feeling guilty for bugging up your partner if he tested pox but, in fact, got the virus from someone else.  He needs to understand that there are deeper and more healthful way to bond that "sharing one's strain" and that living with HIV is far more complex for most people than popping a few pills everyday.  Even if he turned out to be a Super Freak like me, HIV is a complication that I'd rather not have.

Best,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 05:12:22 pm »
Hi Michael,

I find your thinking on this confusing too (and also your mate's). Maybe I am weird but I and the men in my life who I've loved and been in love with (including my current squeeze) have always done our best to avoid them becoming infected. To me, if you love someone you don’t set out to become infected with HIV. This isn’t something I would ever compromise on period, but that’s just the way I am.

Maybe a visit to an AIDS hospice would put things into better perspective for your mate. Make your choice carefully, because there's no turning back the clock on having HIV.

My two cents,

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline michaelman333

• My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:53:05 pm »

Preach, brother!   MM333, I don't know what the rules on sexual exclusivity are for this relationship, but I'd hate to see you feeling guilty for bugging up your partner if he tested pox but, in fact, got the virus from someone else.  He needs to understand that there are deeper and more healthful way to bond that "sharing one's strain" and that living with HIV is far more complex for most people than popping a few pills everyday.  Even if he turned out to be a Super Freak like me, HIV is a complication that I'd rather not have.

Best,
David

well we have a closed relationship ... and i think you are right .... i am not sure just how to do that at all ...

M

~~MLH

Offline michaelman333

• My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 05:55:49 pm »
Hi Michael,

I find your thinking on this confusing too (and also your mate's). Maybe I am weird but I and the men in my life who I've loved and been in love with (including my current squeeze) have always done our best to avoid them becoming infected. To me, if you love someone you don’t set out to become infected with HIV. This isn’t something I would ever compromise on period, but that’s just the way I am.

Maybe a visit to an AIDS hospice would put things into better perspective for your mate. Make your choice carefully, because there's no turning back the clock on having HIV.

My two cents,

Daniel

see that is what i thought as well ... the things is at this point i am greatly in love with him ... and i want him to be safe ...
i think that art of t his has spun me into a dark depression ,....

thanks for your thoughts ...

M

~~MLH

Offline allanq

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 06:26:36 pm »
HIV is a huge deal. If your boyfriend doesn't realize this, then he needs some educating. Also, he does not seem to have much regard or respect for himself. I think his attitude toward getting infected indicates other personality traits that, as time goes by, you will find very unappealing.

Allan

Offline Iggy

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:29:46 pm »
I'm not sure I would classify him as a bug chaser off of the little information I have but my gut instinct is that he is probably romanticizing you, your relationship and HIV to an unhealthy degree.

Take HIV out of the relationship and consider how many people simply break-up regardless of the best intentions of both parties going into the relationship.  Facing the reality that neither of you owe each other improper health risks has no relation to your love for one another.  If he thinks otherwise, then love for you is not the driving issue in his thoughts.

If you think his intentions are the best (and you would know better then anyone of us who can offer advice) then I think what you need to do is find out why he thinks a relationship with you is somehow less worthy if you both consider him remaining neg a significant priority.

For your own sake (since this is bothering you enough to come out of lurking after so long) I wouldn't entertain his request, but I would get to the origin of it.

Offline CaliGuy22

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:32:55 pm »
I personally would rather split from someone knowing they are safe and neg then continue in a relationship where he could become or probably would become positive. That is just my feelings, however real relationships with people you love are more complicated. But try and think of what would be best for your mental health and his physical.
~J
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:42:16 pm by CaliGuy22 »
Compassion is Revolution.

Offline ANGEL42

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:11 pm »
    HIV IS A HUGE DEAL..with so many complications. I`m sooooo tired of people saying you just got to take some pills and all is good. What about all the complications from the pills. The illnesses you get because you immune system is surpressed. Never mind that even though your feeling ok at the momenet their is always that fear of getting sick. T`s dropping, Viral rising. I`m 11 years with this shitty virus and I know its my fault. I chose in the heat of the moment with my lover at the time who was neg to have unprotected sex.It was fabulous, It was Hot, it ended being the worst decision of my Life. And now I`ve been battling HIV related Hodgkins, a Blood clot in my neck, High Cholesteral from the meds, Lung issues. What happen to taking a couple of pills and it`ll be fine. It`ll never be fine.Know what fine means, Frustrated, insecure, neurotic, and emotional. Makes you look at the word fine in a totally different light.

When my lover found out he was Poz three months later after our Fabulous night of unprotected sex...I stayed with him and loved him...than, with no surprise i became Poz.... We stayed together maybe another year and than we broke up....So what was my parting gift , HIV. Wonderful.

Just had to vent....Hope you partner realizes that there is no Glamour in  romanctizing being Hiv because your in love( For the moment) ..and that what your left with if the relationship ends is a horrible virus that ultimately can and will take your life...Either the Virus itself or the complications and illnesses caused by the Virus.

ANGEL
" My Body Might Be Broken, but My Spirit and Soul are Alive and Well " my personal mantra

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 07:40:15 pm »
There's a trend here with opinions and ideas. Take a very close look at what is being said here. Your partner choosing to become infected on his own is one thing and your participation infecting him is entirely something else. His desire to become infected needs to be his responsibilty and not yours.

I'm happy you both have found each other and fallen in love and want to build a future together. I hope you will.

Please consider counseling/advice by an objective trained third party therapist [ go individually and as a couple ] and be just as honest when you go as you are here in the forums.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-YaKaMein
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 07:40:45 pm »
I love how the word "psychiatry" hasn't come up a single time yet.

Offline michaelman333

• My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »
I love how the word "psychiatry" hasn't come up a single time yet.

well this has honestly bothered me enough that i am seeking out therapy now ... and that is something i didnt think i would do ...

i am honestly surprised i have let it get to the point of noit worrying about it ... but now i have to take a look at it more ...

M

~~MLH

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 08:24:04 pm »
well this has honestly bothered me enough that i am seeking out therapy now ... and that is something i didnt think i would do ...

i am honestly surprised i have let it get to the point of noit worrying about it ... but now i have to take a look at it more ...

M

Oh honey, I didn't mean so much for you.  I meant for the other guy.  Seriously, something is very, very wrong with someone who needs a relationship so much that they're willing to do something so obviously desperate.  It's quite disturbing, and I'm sure it's very confusing for you.  Anyway, it's good that your going to a therapist -- so you've discussed all of this in detail with the therapist I trust?

Good luck, Michael and keep us posted.

Offline fearless

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 09:04:12 pm »
I guess I'll go out on a limb here, but I don't really see that what he is doing is so bizarre.
If I were neg and in love with a poz man I'd probably be thinking along the lines that he is. I detest condoms and would most likely be willing to take the risk.
The thing he doesn't seem to appreciate is the stress and guilt it could place on you. Now that I'm poz I don't know how I would deal with the fact that I knowingly infected someone.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline michaelman333

• My Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:19:06 pm »
I guess I'll go out on a limb here, but I don't really see that what he is doing is so bizarre.
If I were neg and in love with a poz man I'd probably be thinking along the lines that he is. I detest condoms and would most likely be willing to take the risk.
The thing he doesn't seem to appreciate is the stress and guilt it could place on you. Now that I'm poz I don't know how I would deal with the fact that I knowingly infected someone.

yeah see that is one of the issues ... i dont know if i could ever dealt with the guilt if he ever got too sick :(

~~MLH

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:07 pm »
I probably couldn't either Michael.

You need to tell him that. And, if he doesn't understand.... then, imho 'tis probably time to move on.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:26:48 pm by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline CaliGuy22

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:34:52 pm »
Hey Michael,
  I became positive from my partner whom I am still with. We are still together and going strong but I must tell you the hardest thing for me ever even more then accepting that I am positive, was the night when I held him in my arms as he was bawling and crying so bad because he has nightmares about the day I get sick and he does not want me to "go first" as he said that night. Only time will tell the future but think of yourself as number one, I have experienced first hand the grief and pain of watching someone else's guilt and I would never wish that upon you. I only wish you the best!!
`J
Compassion is Revolution.

Offline loop78

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 04:48:55 am »
Hi, Michael

I think the rest have summed up pretty well all that is to say about your partner's attitude. However, there's an additional thing that bothers me...

and he decided that he "loved me and knew that in the long run he would most likely get it"

Duh? The only thing sure in the long run is that none of us is gonna get any younger, but that kind of faulty logic is very likely to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy if you really believe that.

Tell him about all those studies about serodiscordant couples in which none of the negs became infected if you need to.

Take care, and do what's best for you!

Hugs!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:50:32 am by loop78 »

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 05:40:47 am »
I agree with Phillys comment:

......"there's never a guarantee that a relationship will last as long as HIV."

play safe

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 08:45:18 am »
see that is what i thought as well ... the things is at this point i am greatly in love with him ... and i want him to be safe ...
i think that art of t his has spun me into a dark depression ,....

thanks for your thoughts ...

M

Glad to know you're seeing someone about that. Michael. Actually, I think it never hurts to get an outside opinion from a qualified professional on any of HIV's psychological complexities. I’ve lived with this for nearly two decades now, and much of that time I’ve done the same.

If there is actual love between you and your mate, you can adapt and so can he. And by the way, I have had two long term monogamous relationships with HIV- men since I tested positive (one for 10 years and a current one for just more than four years) and both of them are still negative. So it’s not like your mate getting HIV is inevitable.

Depression can also cloud your judgement (or at least it does mine) so I would suggest you not make any major changes or decisions at this time.

(((HUGS)))

Daniel.
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.