Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 15, 2024, 01:17:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37594
  • Latest: FloBeee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772732
  • Total Topics: 66292
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 178
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Flu Shot time again....  (Read 15736 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Flu Shot time again....
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:23:18 pm »

We've been notified at work, that the employees will be receiving their flu shots,( employees option) right after the residents receive theirs.

Whose planning on getting a flu shot this year. I've been getting the flu shot for the past 15 years ( except for that one year , when there was a shortage).

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

Re: Flu Shot time again....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:26:33 pm »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »
I always get one too, Ray.

Given our seasons are arse end up, I had mine months ago. Now, I'm nost sure if the flu strain we had this year is heading your way, or if you guys gave it to us, but whatever it was it was pretty bad down here this year and has been knocking people out of action for a week or two at a time. I'd highly recommend getting a shot if you can.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:09:32 pm »
Absolutely. Lady Jane (Matty the Damned's long suffering GP) always attacks him in May/June with the good old FluVax.

It's important to note the distinction between a common cold and influenza. Most people call a head cold "the 'flu" when in fact influenza is a terribly debilitating disease which will at least lay you flat for two weeks and in some cases can kill if secondary pneumonia sets in.

Happy winter! :)

MtD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:46:33 pm »
I get a flu shot every year at our local health department. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:19:30 pm »
Three times in the last 20 yrs I've gotten the flu shot,
and three times I've gotten the flu afterwards.  :o

Sounds like it's that time of year again, and I'll have to "explain" this again to my doc on my visit the first part of Oct.  ::) He worries about me so. LOL

mikie
(who doesn't do Sustiva or flu shots  ;D)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 12:02:24 am »
Mikie,

You can't get the flu from the flu shot. Perhaps you have a reaction to albumen or something else in the shot.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 12:10:18 am »
The flu shot each year only contains stuff geared toward a handful of expectant strains, not EVERY strain.  It means nothing if you get the flu after a flu shot -- that's just an urban myth or something.  It's horribly foolhardy to have HIV, low lab numbers, and not get a flu shot.

It also takes 2 weeks after the shot for antibodies to develop.

At certain points in my diagnosis I actually would get a flu shot in September and another in March or something as I was riding the subway everyday and was convinced I needed the extra protection with all the nasty germs passed around in close quarters where everyone is holding on to the same railing.  My doctor didn't bat an eye at my request, and said all of the flight attendants he had as patients did the same thing.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 12:26:51 am »
Philly,

I took it as Mikie saying he got the flu from the shot. However, you are correct in that a flu shot only gives protection against certain strains they anticipate will be active that year - i think there were 3 in this years shot. I've read somewhere that it only gives about 70-90% protection, depending on how close the strain of flu that people actually get that year is to the strain in the shot. And, there was an article -either here or in my doctors surgery about the flu shot being even less effective in people with HIV.

I have a +ve friend who refuses flatly each year to have a shot becuase of the misguided belief that he once got the flu from a flu shot. Seems like he much prefers to get his flu through 'natural' means, as he's been bunged up in bed for the last week.

Offline Kellyk

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 12:45:10 am »
Will definitely get the shot this year.   Hopefully it will make a difference ths time since my numbers are a bit better. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:21:53 am »
I have a +ve friend who refuses flatly each year to have a shot becuase of the misguided belief that he once got the flu from a flu shot. Seems like he much prefers to get his flu through 'natural' means, as he's been bunged up in bed for the last week.

Oh, I have one of those friends too.  He also believe that his yearly jaunts to an Ecuadorian mountain shamen props up his lab numbers.  He's also the least med adherent person I've met yet has never developed any resistance.  He also mistakes his degree from the Beauticians Academy for a medical diploma.

Fortunately since he's my best friend I can just tell him to STFU.

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 05:19:09 am »
Took the flu shot twice in the past 5 years, caught the flu both times I took it.
I'm one of the unlucky ones I guess.
My doc dosen't flinch anymore when I say "no thanks" and says well I offered it to you in case you change your mind.
Never had the flu before taking the shots and none after stopping them.
Guess I am one of the lucky ones there.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 05:35:22 am »
I get the flu shot every year, and every year I don't get the flu. ;)

Thanks for the reminder, Ray. I'll call my clinic today and see if they are giving them yet.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 07:38:07 am »
I didn't mean to imply that I got the flu from the shot. I just find it an odd coincidence. ;) I was remiss in not stating that better. By all means, I think most poz people probably should get the recommended flu shot.

As to the prior 25 yrs of my life, I have only had the flu twice (and have no clue as to whether I had flu shots as a kid or not). I haven't had strep throat again since my tonsils were removed when I was 14. The only other health problems I've ever had were HIV-related (PCP and thrush), with <300 tcells for the last 15 yrs.

I've just always been super-sensitive to meds in general and have had some sort of side-effect to most meds (Hives or throwing up mainly). I'm hard pressed to even take Tylenol (which I take because I'm deadly allergic to aspirin). This is the reason adherence to HIV meds has always been so hard for me. Barfing every day is not what I call "quality of life". As it is now, my doctor has worked with me to get a regimen on which I only puke about once a week, so I've been able to finally stick to this batch of meds for three yrs. ;D

mikie
(who suffers with some hay fever occassionaly, rather than trade those symptoms for Hives from the antihistimines)

leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 10:32:52 am »
My GP at the Social Security is obsessed with giving me vaccines. I am being re vaccinated for Hep A and B (second dose) , tetanus, and flu the 3rd of October.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 11:22:01 am »
My GP at the Social Security is obsessed with giving me vaccines. I am being re vaccinated for Hep A and B (second dose) , tetanus, and flu the 3rd of October.

That's not "obsessive" honey, that's standard.  Everyone should ALREADY have had some of those regardless of HIV status.  If not, you should have gotten them when you were first diagnosed.

Your GP should also monitor the Hep A and B stuff later on as sometimes the vaccination needs to be redone/boosted.  I think tetanus last 10 years but I'm too lazy to look it up.

People with HIV should also receive a yearly tuberculosis skin test.  There's also a pneumonia shot that I believe is given once and then maybe a 2nd time several years later.  I'd ask about that one too.  Maybe someone here can weight in.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 11:28:29 am »
Every year I get that jab...  I still get worried with all the tourists that come out here and sneeze in my face etc, other staff who I asked, who did not get the shots, usually get sick at least once during the winter.   Not me, not yet...

Eric

Offline LPinUK

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 03:08:50 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Ray,  is it really a year since my last jab?

Cant believe how fast this year has gone!!!
Diagnosed Poz September 2003, Current Regimen Truvada & Sustiva.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 03:30:58 pm »
There's also a pneumonia shot that I believe is given once and then maybe a 2nd time several years later.  I'd ask about that one too.  Maybe someone here can weight in.

I believe you are referring to the Pneumovax vaccine that should be given every 5 yrs to HIV+ folks.

I will definately be getting my flu shot -- as soon as I find a clinic.

Mike

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 03:53:29 pm »
I believe you are referring to the Pneumovax vaccine that should be given every 5 yrs to HIV+ folks.

Now there's a shot I'll have to talk to my doc about. ;) Thanks for that info!

Since my tcells have never gone over 300, I have religiously taken my Bactrim, regardless of the itchiness I live with everyday (it orginally gave me full blown hives for 15 days the hot swealtery Aug. I first started taking it) because after one bout of pneumonia and one bout of PCP, I NEVER want to be hospitalized with that again. It was so bad the second time that I checked out AMA to go home to die. But, lo and behold, I'm still here TEN years after the last bout of pneumonia! ;D

mikie
(who's way more afraid of PCP than the flu - afraid enough to risk side effects from that shot ;))
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline racingmind

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 01:23:36 am »
Got mine today! My arm is a little sore...hehe.  There is an abundance this year so no one should have to go without...
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 04:19:57 am »
Well . . .

I called my clinic yesterday and they said, "Um no. We don't give those until November."

Duh! I should have remembered that.  :-\
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 05:10:26 am »
Is there still a bit of controversy over getting a TB skin test every year for HIV folks?

Used to be we would give everyone a TB Mantoux skin test in the left forearm and a Canddida skin test in the right forearm (with the understanding that most folks would react to the Candida skin test).  If they didn't react, we would assume that the TB test wasn't really accurate due to an anergic reaction.

At our hospital we don't do that anymore....we just give the TB skin test and sometimes give a new Quantiferon blood test also.

In any case...for the flu vaccine, if you feel sick afterwards, it's not really the flu...it's most likely an inflammatory response to the vaccine itself.

John

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 07:24:56 am »
Is there still a bit of controversy over getting a TB skin test every year for HIV folks?

I still get my TB mantoux skin test every year, at work. It's mandatory. No pay raise until it's done..

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

BobF

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 07:01:47 pm »
Yep, I'm scheduled to get the annual flu "poke" in a couple weeks  ::)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 05:53:24 pm »
I'll get mine next month. Make sure you aren't given the live virus shot. Us poor folks with low CD4s need the dead vaccine.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 06:21:15 pm »
There are so many places here that give them  ( drugstores, Wal- Mart, local agencies and buses that appear in shopping mall lots)  that it is hard to forget.....plus my Dr sends reminders and   has  a clerk call if you don't respond within a few weeks.......I suppose being on Medicare has something to do with it.....no charge to me !!!   He also tracks the Pneumonia shot....I had one two years ago.......I will ask about the TB  thing ...he hasn't mentioned that recently...and I have forgotten when I last got the Hep  shots....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 06:24:49 pm »
UGH. Needles.

I've been getting one every year and I haven't had the flu since I was 14. Apparently it's working. My dad had the flu last year and I was convinced I was going to get it because we live in such a small space, but I managed to evade it. I've had a cold for the past couple weeks though that sucks.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 02:14:08 am »
Well . . .

I called my clinic yesterday and they said, "Um no. We don't give those until November."

Duh! I should have remembered that.  :-\

I thought it seemed early too.  Maybe its the fault of this damn socialized medicine that the Republicans keep talking about ;D
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline carousel

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 09:11:00 am »
Thanks for the reminder. 

Get mine done at the GPs with all the old biddies.

Offline Just John

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 06:02:58 pm »
Get mine done at the GPs with all the old biddies.

Heehee, me too.

Just got my call up letter yesterday and booked in for the 4th Oct.

I last had flu about 10 years ago and it took me about two months before I was rid of all the secondary infections - never again if I can help it thank you.

John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline bear60

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 10:47:27 am »
I had my annual physical yesterday.
Big Sign:  Get Your Flu Shot
I got mine.
Slept the rest of the day.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 10:52:57 am »
I had my 3 mo.'s doctor's appointment yesterday and totally forgot to get a flu shot, but I guess my doctor forgot too.  I suppose I'll ring them up and dash in there sometime in the next month, as the CDC recommends October and November as the best months to have it done -- it DOES wear off at a certain point and I'd rather be protected at the height of winter.

There was an interesting finding published Monday in The Lancet about flu shots.  Not sure what, if anything, this means for our little group:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/09/25/MN3RSD8KP.DTL&tsp=1

Study finds flu shots do little to help most vulnerable elderly

A team of National Institutes of Health researchers has concluded that the often-touted benefits of flu shots to people over the age of 70 are highly exaggerated - there is no real proof they provide protection to the frail elderly.

The conclusion published Monday in an online edition of the British journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases is unwelcome news for public health officials in the United States who are preparing to launch the annual flu shot campaign.

This season, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention hopes that a record 132 million doses of flu vaccine will be manufactured for the U.S. market, but the federal agency has been having a hard time boosting the number of Americans who line up for the shots.

Last year, at least 18 million doses of flu vaccine went to waste.
Clearly worried that a study casting doubt on the value of the vaccine might undo years of efforts to boost immunization rates, both the study authors and top U.S. health officials said the elderly still should seek out the shots. The authors confirmed a strong consensus that the flu shots are effective for people under 65.

"There absolutely should be no change in the recommendations," said Dr. Tony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, where part of the latest study was carried out. The study's lead author, Lone Simonsen, is a former epidemiologist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and is now a professor at George Washington University. She and her colleagues stressed in their study that "even a partly effective vaccine would be better than no vaccine at all."
Nevertheless, the report underscores growing doubts about how useful the current flu vaccines are for the elderly and provides ammunition to those who argue that more powerful shots need to be developed for the most vulnerable age group.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:54:43 am by philly267 »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 10:55:17 am »
Getting mine tomorrow @ 9AM. My GP is having Flu jab day.

The BBC reported yesterday that the flu shot doesn't work for the elderly.  Not too encouraging...

Nov. seems a bit late to start immunizing people.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 02:28:57 pm »
Physicians warned on need for flu vaccine and treatment in HIV-positive patients

Oh read this jabbers:

"Many HIV-infected people will develop influenza during a flu season, even if they have been vaccinated against the disease, say Canadian researchers." etc

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 02:39:15 pm »
I've often wondered if I should attempt to store up some Tamiflu in my rather famous Treasure Chest of Meds in the case of a flu pandemic.  You never know about these things.

Plus it's another great way to appease the Gods of Greater Paranoia.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 07:42:47 pm »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 07:48:28 pm »
Time flies

Flies by toooo fast. I will be getting mine in the next week or two, through work again this year.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 08:28:13 pm »
I suppose I should make an appointment to go get one.  I can't believe it's time for that again. :P
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 09:09:23 pm »
Next month is when the vaccines start here.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 10:19:03 pm »
I'm ussually one of the first ones to get one at work. For the past 5 years I've shown up at the Employee Health clinic within 15 minutes of them sending out the email. I totally endorse the flu shot!

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 10:20:34 pm »
sorry. forgot to not post. apologies.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 10:34:19 pm »
People with HIV should also receive a yearly tuberculosis skin test.  There's also a pneumonia shot that I believe is given once and then maybe a 2nd time several years later.  I'd ask about that one too.  Maybe someone here can weight in.

Oh shit.

I knew I forgot something. I was supposed to have a TB test done because three of my clients are have been diagnosed with TB

I am getting bad about keeping up with my pokes and prods.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 09:29:17 am »
I swear Jeromy and I just had the flu the last two weeks.  It came out of nowhere and hit hard making us both bed ridden/chills/fever/unable to breathe and headaches.

We both have doc appointments on Monday though so I'll be asking about both the shot and the tamiflu just in case.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 10:47:32 am »
Well the flu shot is not if? its when? My office is scheduled to have their annual flu shot in 2 weeks... I reccommend them to anyone who wants to ward off and or make the possible flu less severe... 20 years... still taking the shot annually...

Offline gaz41

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 12:11:01 pm »
had mine 3 weeks ago when i had my last docs appointment, my doc said it was more important this year as the strains which are active are radically different to last years, so fearless could have a point 

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 01:00:55 pm »
Got mine.. Dr office is setup so no appointment needed.. just sign in and wait a few minutes..Nurse gives shots....  in and out of the office in ten minutes....DONE....My Dr is aware of the study Matt posted...he has a supply of Tamiflu ready if needed..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.