Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:31:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 219
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need help from other cat people......  (Read 22856 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Need help from other cat people......
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:01:13 pm »
We just adopted a cat on Saturday and he seems to be having a hard time with the transition.  I'm hoping someone (or a few someones) have had experience with re-homing an adult cat.

Background:

Stanford (yes, that is his name) is 8 years old and was with the same family since he was a kitten.  He, apparently, wasn't adapting well to the newborn that came home a few months ago, so his owners decided to find a new home for him. 
He is known as a loving cat -- a lap cat, I'm told, but since he got here all he does is hide.  We actually could not find him for about 8 hours on Sunday -- he was hiding in the fireplace, behind the gas logs.
He has not eaten anything, it's hard to tell if he's drinking, but he did finally pee last night -- twice.  He's a fat cat and his owners said they had to ration out his food, as he would eat whatever was in his dish all at once.

Since the fireplace episode - we have confined him to our guest room, to give him a "safe" space, without much traffic.  He started out sitting in a chair, looking out the window, but has since moved to under the bed.  Now that he has finally gone to the bathroom, I feel a little better (that took 36 hrs and was really getting my worried for his health), but the not eating can't be good -- 2+ days now.

So..... any suggestions?  Is it just a case of more patience and he'll come around?  I'm spending some time just sitting on the bed in the room, talking softly to him and just reading.  Hoping this will help him see I'm not a threat to him.  I feel so badly for the little guy (well, he's really a big guy, but I don't know if he's sensitive about his weight......). 

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Need help from other cat people......
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:11:04 pm »
Hi Mike . I had a similar thing with my cat when I lived in Chicago but our thing was we brought a new cat in and our cat hated us for it for awhile . She pretty much stayed in the bedroom closet for over a week until she got over her mad , she became besties with the new cat and forgave us too .

I bet she just needs time and she will love you guys all the more for your patience . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:29:14 pm »
Hey Mike,

Cats do not like change and they especially don't like being dumped by their family of eight years.  Right now, he's pissed and scared and he needs some time to just settle in and get comfortable.  I just got a kitten and my Ramses absolutely hates me right now, but he'll get over it.  What I do with any new animal is give them something you have worn, so they get used to your scent and keep doing what you are doing.

He'll come around, as you rarely find cat skeletons under the bed.

Joe

Offline bocker3

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:10 pm »
Hey Mike,

Cats do not like change and they especially don't like being dumped by their family of eight years.  Right now, he's pissed and scared and he needs some time to just settle in and get comfortable.  I just got a kitten and my Ramses absolutely hates me right now, but he'll get over it.  What I do with any new animal is give them something you have worn, so they get used to your scent and keep doing what you are doing.

He'll come around, as you rarely find cat skeletons under the bed.

Joe

Thanks Joe -- you actually made me chuckle about this situation for the first time......  "cat skeletons".
 I guess I am really just thrown as this is the first real "tough" adoption we've had.  Our first two went very easily -- even though both cats were completely different in temperament -- one loved "alone time" and the other needed attention on demand (even at 3:00am), so this is a new experience for me.  and the not eating or drinking (at least, I don't think he is drinking) is scaring me.

Jeff -- thank you also!  Hearing of other's successes will help keep me sane.

Hugs,
M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:30 pm »
The not eating and drinking scared me too but then I noticed a bit of food gone from her dish one morning after a week of eating nothing  , she had been sneaking out at night for a snack and then back to the closet to keep appearances up for her hunger strike .

A can of tuna is a hard thing for a hungry cat to ignore .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:14 pm »
Mike;  While I am not necessarily a cat person (nothing against them, just haven't had one for quite a few years) a colleague of mine just got a new cat and he was explaining his integration process into the house.  By the way - he is very, very much a cat person.

His process was to bring the cat home and put the cat in one room (bedroom, living room, etc.) that can be "screened off" off with lattice.  Put all the necessary stuff in the room of course, including some personal clothes so he gets used to your scent - and yes visit with him (just be in the room) as often as possible.  That process can take a few days to a week.  If there are other animals, the lattice allows the other animals to sniff each other while being protected from each other and get used to each other.   After he is used to one room, then open him up to the next room/section of the house (for a few days to a week) and then the next section (for a few days to a week)....you get the idea.

All new relationships take work, but are well worth it in the long run.

Best

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »
I'm with the others. Just give her time to get over being mad.

-W

PS- That's a lucky cat to have you as her owner.  ;)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24:00 pm »
I think you've gotten some great advice. I will echo that cats don't like change, and I can only imagine what Stanford is going through after being kicked out of his "forever" home...that is longer than any relationship I've had other than with my family! (Oh except my last boss...still hoping to get back together with her one day.)

My baby boy Simon (separated in a separation) was a loving guy, except when he or one of the other cats would go to the vet. Then he would get on top of the fridge, would NOT come down for 2 or 3 days, and would hiss and swat at anyone who came near. Near-Satanic. On.The.Fridge. Then he'd be fine.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 10:27:52 pm »
A can of tuna is a hard thing for a hungry cat to ignore .

If the tuna does not work, I suggest you use the nuclear option... catnip.

Joe

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 10:30:32 pm »
If the tuna does not work, I suggest you use the nuclear option... catnip.

Joe

LOL & hahaha  Joe! If all else fails, drug 'em!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 10:37:24 pm »
Thanks guys - patience ain't my strong point!!!  Guess I will have to breathe and let him do what he will do, when he is ready.  I will throw the shirt I am wearing over by where he is under the bed and have Sid do the same.

Oh ... Already tried the tuna AND catnip, to no avail!  Will try tuna again tomorrow or Wed.

Hugs to all
Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:10 pm »

Oh ... Already tried the tuna AND catnip, to no avail!  Will try tuna again tomorrow or Wed.

Hugs to all
Mike

No No , its for the cat not you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:39:41 am »
No No , its for the cat not you .

Maybe Mike should try the catnip it may help him calm down a bit.  :D

You have been given some great advise Mike.  Cat's have the most amazing sense of smell so he can probably still smell the other cat, he just doesn't know where it is, so hiding could be a form of keeping himself safe.

Where ever he is sleeping put in one of your old sweat shirt or an old sock even so he can get used to your smell,  eventually it will over power the other smells...oh and keep him inside for a couple of weeks, don't let him roam just now.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:17:02 am »
Maybe Mike should try the catnip it may help him calm down a bit.  :D

You have been given some great advise Mike.  Cat's have the most amazing sense of smell so he can probably still smell the other cat, he just doesn't know where it is, so hiding could be a form of keeping himself safe.

Where ever he is sleeping put in one of your old sweat shirt or an old sock even so he can get used to your smell,  eventually it will over power the other smells...oh and keep him inside for a couple of weeks, don't let him roam just now.

Aroha
Jan :-*

Thanks Jan -- well, except for the comment about my socks "overpowering other smells".....  ;)

Not to worry -- my cats are all indoor cats.  I adopt declawed kitties.  Would never have one declawed, but seeing as so many others do and I don't like my cat to be an outdoor one - it just makes sense to adopt them.

Hugs,
M

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:51 am »
You know the old line about herding cats, right?

You didn't adopt Stanford,  he's in the process of adopting you.  You cannot dictate the terms of the adoption,  he will - and on his own time schedule. 

That fact that you're so concerned about him shows that Stanford has found a good home.  Lucky him  :)

Be patient,  he'll come around,  when he is ready.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:39 am »
Mike,

You may be aware of it, but just in case, there is a show on Animal Planet called 'My Cat From Hell' that deals with these sort if situations.  I believe that they had a case just like yours some time during the first season (I think it was episode 1.3).  You may find some tips that help with your situation in that episode.

Stanford will eventually get used to you and the new environment.  one day he will come to you asking for affection.  I had a similar situation a few years back with my cat Benito (he was a bit of a dictator --may he rest in peace in kitteh heaven).
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline buginme2

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:37 am »
There is a product you can spray in areas of your home that will help you cat adjust.  I used it when I moved because my cat would hide for weeks when we moved into a new house.  It's supposed to trick the cat in thinking his new home is familiar territory. It worked (albeit with limited success, they are cats after all). You can buy it at pet smart or petco. Here is a ink.

http://www.petco.com/product/100221/Comfort-Zone-Spray-with-Feliway-for-Cats.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Cat-_-Comfort%20Zone-_-646911&mr:trackingCode=4804EC15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28820597395&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515420755
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline weasel

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 11:12:30 am »

Good luck with the kitty   :)

It took our kitty a few months to adjust when we moved from
    Las Vegas to Missouri .

I have found the kitty toys work well for new Meowers  ;)

Also ignoring the kitty , or pretending to is the sure way to get him

up on your lap  .

You have a  Lucky Kitty ,

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline bocker3

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 06:36:15 pm »
He ate half is bowl of food and drank a good deal of his water today!!!  Woo Hoo.....   

Hey Bug -- I actually used some of that spray yesterday -- and today got a diffuser of it.  Did it work?  I don't know -- but I sprayed it yesterday and he ate today.

He's still under the bed, but I'm ever so much more hopeful.

Mike,

You may be aware of it, but just in case, there is a show on Animal Planet called 'My Cat From Hell' that deals with these sort if situations.  I believe that they had a case just like yours some time during the first season (I think it was episode 1.3).  You may find some tips that help with your situation in that episode.

Stanford will eventually get used to you and the new environment.  one day he will come to you asking for affection.  I had a similar situation a few years back with my cat Benito (he was a bit of a dictator --may he rest in peace in kitteh heaven).

I will try and track this episode down -- thanks!  And sorry for the loss of your beloved dictator kitty.

Again -- thank you all.  It's funny how we find support for so much more than HIV on this site! 
Hugs and  :-* :-* to you all.

Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »
Great news Mike! :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:51 pm »
He ate half is bowl of food and drank a good deal of his water today!!!  Woo Hoo.....   

Good news!Hey I may be asking a bit much given the circumstances but can you snap a pic of him for us?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:50 pm »
We promise not to judge you for not vacuuming under the bed .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 07:48:09 pm »
We promise not to judge you for not vacuuming under the bed .

LOL! ok well maybe wait till he starts getting out more.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 08:27:01 pm »
Well, he was out from under the bed for a while today.  He was sitting on a chair in front of the window.  He was there when we went out to the store and was still there when we returned. 
After seeing the pic request, I went into the room to snap one, but he was back under the bed.  Not the best picture, but it's all I can get today.......

Do his eyes look funny to you??   ;D

We are so happy that he has pee'd (repeatedly), drank, ate and NOW -- even spent some time admiring the weeds growing in our front yard.

Hugs,
M

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 08:37:39 pm »

Not really.  Most cats eyes look like that as they are contemplating sucking the life out of someone.  You or Sid may want to keep one eye open tonight.

Joe

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 08:52:43 pm »
Poor Stanford will come around.   Watch how much tuna you give him as you may be cleaning up messes. (It gives my cat diarrhea). 

If he likes to hide in bags give him a brown paper grocery bag, and shower him with toys. They make mice that are made of real mouse fur (supposedly) he would probably just adore, you can get them at petsmart. When he decides where he likes to sleep you can get him a cat bed for that spot.
What do you feed him?

Have fun.

Michelle  8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 03:44:16 am »

I agree with Joe, I'm pretty sure Stephen King wrote a screenplay detailing the way cats steal souls, you may want to watch it to find useful information about when they are going to suck the life right out of you.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »

When I get stressed I take a bath.... perhaps a nice bubble bath with his new owner will help get things acclimated.  A bonding experience if you will...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »
Continued progress.........

He's still eating, although much less than his current "waistline" suggests is his norm.  His litter box habits seem back to normal though.  He is roaming all around the room now -- I've left some treats in different spots and they are all disappearing, so he is exploring.

The big news -- he's taken to hiding in the closet now (cue gay jokes......).  The good part of that is I can reach in and pet him.  He's actually allowed me to do so twice today -- he tolerates it without slinking away and even lifts his head so that I can get under his chin.  Of course, both times I found him in the closet and gave him some scratches, he left right after I walked away and went back under the bed.  Still.....  progress is progress.

Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 06:11:36 pm »
When I adopted my cat from the local no kill shelter, she hid under the bed for almost a month.  She did seem to venture out when I was sleeping.  I remember waking up one night, stirring in the bed, and her jumping off and running back under the bed. 

That was about seven years ago.  Now she's laying by me.  I'm sure your cat will be fine.  You're doing many things to help the kitty adjust, and I'm sure he will be most grateful at some point.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 09:48:51 am »
Great progress.  I'm not a cat person really, but I did have a similar experience.  A friend had to leave for a 3 week training course for work and I agreed to watch his long haired Persian.  I had been around this cat forever and we were quite comfortable with each.

Almost immediately upon staying with me, she started acting all freaky and wouldn't come out from under the bed.  I finally stopped fussing over her and she slowly came around and eventually enjoyed the adventure.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 10:24:07 pm »
If your are going to watch Stephen King animal movies don't forget Pet Cemetary where the cat comes back to life from the grave, and Cujo, although that is about the ultimate dog from from hell.    ;D

Michelle
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline bocker3

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 02:11:18 pm »
Big progress today!!  I coaxed him out from under the bed with a treat and some catnip (the HELL with "just say no" to kitty drugs).

He was out rolling around, rubbing all over me and PURRING (the first purr's I've heard from him in this house) for a good 15-20 mins.  He'd run and take a piece of food or two and then come back to me.  Of course I'm completely covered in orange furr now -- but it was so worth it.  Hopefully, Sid can have this same breakthrough with him soon -- I have to fly down to Tampa tomorrow for work -- will be there until Thursday.  I'd hate for any backward movement. 
My mom arrives on 7/3, so I am hoping to get him out of "nesting" completely in the guest room, as I suspect this "new stranger" may cause him to revert a bit.  Sid and I are going on a 6 day getaway and mom had been scheduled to come and watch Charlie -- now she gets Stanford instead.  Oh, she also gets to sit by the pool and read -- so don't feel badly for her.

I posted a full pic of Stanford in the "Pets" thread by mistake, so if you haven't seen him yet, you can go there.

Thanks again for all the kind words and encouragement.

M

Offline mitch777

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »
ok Mike. it's been another whole week. i'm looking forward to hearing a progress report. :)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 05:39:28 pm »
ok Mike. it's been another whole week. i'm looking forward to hearing a progress report. :)

Well, typing this update is a little difficult as I have a fairly large cat on my lap!!

He still stays mainly under the guest bed, but he comes out whenever called -- even from another room.  Although, he has only ventured downstairs, on his own, once -- and would not leave the living room.  He peered into the kitchen and the dining room, but that was it.  I am carrying him downstairs at least once a day, hoping he will start to feel safer down there.
We moved his litter box out of the guest room and into the hallway on the bedroom level (we have a 4 level split home).  This forces him out of the guest room.  Next week, we are going to move the litter box down to the living room (just temporarily, of course) and move his food & water into the hall.  this will make him leave the bedroom even more.  Given that Mom arrives on 7/3, he will want his stuff out of there by then anyway.
Last night, he actually jumped into bed with us twice.  Never lasted more than a few seconds -- and jumped on me each time as he exited.

All in all -- he continues to progress, but he is still incredibly skittish.  Anything can send him flying back under that bed.

Thanks for asking Mitch!!!

Hugs,
Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »
Thanks Mike!
 8)
So fun to hear of adaptation stories.
In your lap! Quite the accomplishment. :)
Keep it up. :)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 10:04:49 pm »
How's Stanford doing mike?

Here's how I woke up this morning, and usually every morning. On my back with a cat between my legs, you can see my leg under the covers on the right and Matty has his head resting on it. He is so spoiled that I will try not to wake him as I pull my leg out.

Btw, if y'all remember this is the cat I "rescued" out of my tree 4 years ago and got scratched and infected and had to go on Antibiotics. LOL.

But we are all good now. I love my Matty Kitty.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:20:57 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 04:31:39 am »
Aw Will, he's so adorable.  See how kitty's initial fear turns into total gratitude for rescuing?  Very nice.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline bocker3

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:07 am »
How's Stanford doing mike?

Here's how I woke up this morning, and usually every morning. On my back with a cat between my legs, you can see my leg under the covers on the right and Matty has his head resting on it. He is so spoiled that I will try not to wake him as I pull my leg out.

Btw, if y'all remember this is the cat I "rescued" out of my tree 4 years ago and got scratched and infected and had to go on Antibiotics. LOL.

But we are all good now. I love my Matty Kitty.

Oh -- how very cute -- and a little sad, as Charlie used to do the same thing (but between Sid's legs, not mine).

Stanford has definitely accepted us.  He seems more taken with me than Sid, but........

He still rarely, if ever, leaves the bedroom level of the house.  I can coax him down to the living room if I'm sitting in there reading, but he just roams around completely nervous and ANY sound sends him flying back upstairs.  I tried moving his food down and he just didn't eat without my carrying or coaxing him down.  When an obese cat fails to come to his food, I know it's too soon.........

This morning he woke me up, again, with a chin licking and some of the loudest purring I have ever heard.

thanks for asking,

M

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:00 pm »
Oh -- how very cute -- and a little sad, as Charlie used to do the same thing (but between Sid's legs, not mine).

Stanford has definitely accepted us.  He seems more taken with me than Sid, but........

He still rarely, if ever, leaves the bedroom level of the house.  I can coax him down to the living room if I'm sitting in there reading, but he just roams around completely nervous and ANY sound sends him flying back upstairs.  I tried moving his food down and he just didn't eat without my carrying or coaxing him down.  When an obese cat fails to come to his food, I know it's too soon.........

This morning he woke me up, again, with a chin licking and some of the loudest purring I have ever heard.

thanks for asking,

M

Have you tried using teasers in the space that he's comfortable in?  Even older cats tend to find them irresistible.  If you can get him into play mode it might open him up more to coming downstairs while using the teaser. 

Offline bocker3

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »
Have you tried using teasers in the space that he's comfortable in?  Even older cats tend to find them irresistible.  If you can get him into play mode it might open him up more to coming downstairs while using the teaser.

He does like to play and I have gotten him downstairs with one of his "wand" toys -- but anything sends him scurrying back up.  Perhaps I'll have to look into buying one of those teasers.  Although -- if food can't coax him down, I don't what will.  Did I mention he is a FAT cat....   LOL

Although -- funny story -- Sid bought a new (used) bedroom set for the guest room yesterday (I'm not much for used furniture, prefer new -- but he's cheap, so --- we balance each other out -- but I digress). 

Today, we were moving the dresser in and I said, "let's keep the front door open while we unload, Stanford isn't going to be down here trying to get out." --- You guessed it, once the dresser was off the truck, I look up and he's laying at the threshold of the door -- clearly contemplating an escape.  I just said, "What are you doing, Stanford" and bam -- back up stairs he went.  We laughed our heads off -- just when you think you've figured a cat out, he shows you better.

Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 05:08:41 pm »
He does like to play and I have gotten him downstairs with one of his "wand" toys -- but anything sends him scurrying back up.  Perhaps I'll have to look into buying one of those teasers.  Although -- if food can't coax him down, I don't what will.  Did I mention he is a FAT cat....   LOL

I saw the pics, he is a big fellow.  He's a lucky cat too.

I would imagine part of his shyness to the rest of the house is from smelling Charlie's scent.  Cats are very territorial.  Years ago I heard something about a pheromone spray for cats that supposed to help with the territorial markings cats do.  I'm not sure how it works, or if it does for that matter.

Although -- funny story -- Sid bought a new (used) bedroom set for the guest room yesterday (I'm not much for used furniture, prefer new -- but he's cheap, so --- we balance each other out -- but I digress). 

Today, we were moving the dresser in and I said, "let's keep the front door open while we unload, Stanford isn't going to be down here trying to get out." --- You guessed it, once the dresser was off the truck, I look up and he's laying at the threshold of the door -- clearly contemplating an escape.  I just said, "What are you doing, Stanford" and bam -- back up stairs he went.  We laughed our heads off -- just when you think you've figured a cat out, he shows you better.

Mike

LOL It figures....  kids and animals both, have a way of proving us wrong every time... especially in front of spouses. ;)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 01:55:14 pm »
OK -- so, Stanford has adjusted well.  He now seems to be part of the family.  Of course, the flip side seems to be that now he is doing all he can to "claim" this house.  In the last few weeks he has started "marking" our couch and loveseat in the living room.  We don't use that room much and I'm sure he can still smell our last cat's scent all over it.  Charlie loved to lay in the sun in that room.

We brought Stanford to the vet -- in case he had a UTI.  Of course, they couldn't get any urine -- will be bringing him back.  The doctor didn't think it would be a UTI though, because he's also shit on the couch twice.

This is very bad -- the one thing Sid and I have always said was that we couldn't have a cat that didn't use a litter box exclusively.  If we don't find a way to stop this in the next couple weeks, at best -- we may need to give him up.  I've grown quite attached to him and he to me, but I can't have my living room smelling of cat piss!!

Any tricks to try from you cat owners???

thanks,
M

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 02:01:10 pm »
Hey Mike,

Has Stanford been neutered?  That will generally stop males from spraying.

Joe

Offline bocker3

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 02:24:57 pm »
Hey Mike,

Has Stanford been neutered?  That will generally stop males from spraying.

Joe

Yes - he's been neutered. 

Right now, I have put a small dish of his food on couch -- under the old, "cat's won't go to the bathroom where they eat" premise.  We'll see if that helps.  The doc thought it might be worth a try hoping that this will let him know that there is nothing to fear from the couch or any lingering scent from Charlie.

M

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 02:42:48 pm »
I suggest you get something that will remove the smell of urine and use it on the couch as well.  It will remove the "reminder" of using the couch like a litter box.  If he seems fixated on the couch, you could try covering the seating area with aluminum foil, as cat's hate the feel of it.

One other thought, get some quality catnip and sprinkle some on a towel, near the couch, to keep him busy.

Joe

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 02:50:05 pm »
Mike? do you and Sid socialize with him in the same or different way?

do you play with him to wear him down a bit?

also, it can help to have 2 litter boxes in different parts of the house

he needs to learn to go into the litter box and not anywhere else

we have 2 cats and both of them have their own litter box

and sleeping area's sometimes they like to sleep with each other

or us.....LOL   I hope you can get to the bottom of this marking problem

as getting rid of him may not be the best option, beside he's your pal

I suspect he's trying to get rid of your old cat's smell

Good Luck

HUGS

DEN
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Dan0

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 02:54:55 pm »
Had a similar issues with an adopted cat. The vet that I go to (appropriately named "The Cat Doctor"), I've seen for over a decade and she only deals with cats.  Nice cats, evil cats, stupid cats - any type of cat. 

Her first response was the litter - "you always go back to the litter"!.  Not all, but some cats are horribly fussy about their box and any changes can send some over the edge. Sure enough, I tried to be "Green" and got bio-pellets. The cat just groused at it but assumed he would come around. You would THINK I would have realized that if he's not using the box, then he's using something!   Changed back and issues resolved!  Saved the couch and the corner of the dining room.
Of course, the cat-genie might as well be used as a planter now. It provides free entertainment on the cleaning cycle and that's about it.

Later on, when it happened again, it was due to UTI issues with crystals in his bladder that 'blocked him up'. He decided that he was interested in the couch again. You would know if this were the case - continued licking, lethargy, not eating and finally they just 'lay there'. They look like they ARE spraying or peeing but nothing happens - and in the five times it happened, the couch was the proposed victim each time.  It sneaks up on you but in the end it is a sure sign to run .... not walk..... to the vet immediately.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »

Too bad fixing him didn't stop him from spraying.  It's possible it will continue no matter what you do.  He might stop on his own though.   I had a cat for a short while about 2 years ago.  She started taking dumps in our bathroom sink.  She became an outside cat and had lots of babies.

I know... I didn't handle that correctly.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »
Joe seems to have really great ideas. I was going to suggest covering the furniture with plastic after getting the smell out, to alleviate the scent of the other cat.  Aluminum foil sounds very interesting.

I once had a male cat, when I was 16, who was jealous when I started dating my first husband.  He started spraying and never stopped.  I have had a couple female cats, and have one now, and not one of those sprayed. 

I would definitely try anything and everything, and I know you will. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.