Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:23:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 171
Total: 172

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wish I'd never heard the power of a four-letter word  (Read 10671 times)

Offline DanielMark

Wish I'd never heard the power of a four-letter word
« on: May 27, 2007, 11:16:30 am »
From the year of my diagnosis in 1988 until 2002, I lived out the rollercoaster of emotions that many here know I’m sure, for fourteen years. I saw friends and ex partners die. I mourned their passing but all the time I suppressed the reality that I too would one day be leaving. BUT I had yet to mourn the news of my diagnosis. I wouldn’t allow myself to feel that vulnerable.

Overall I “felt” fine, and so I wouldn’t give in to my doctor suggesting I should be on meds. I knew my death wasn’t looming, but every little illness or bout with Shingles was another reminder which brought what I tried to bury close o the surface again, but not into the light of day.

Then in 1995, a singer songwriter I admire wrote a song that was featured on several episodes of the daytime drama General Hospital, in a story line about the character Stone dying of AIDS related illness. Hearing that song broke down my self-imposed barriers and I wept for my self for the first time since my diagnosis seven years earlier. It was the most therapeutic thing to happen in all that time, more than talking about, more than writing about it. That one song had the power to break through the walls of the emotional fortress I had built around my life. It hurt, but it was also important..

The songwriter was Janis Ian, and the song was When Angels Cry.

I guess we all eventually have that moment of truth, when we are willing to turn around and face what is, and mourn our losses. This was that moment for me.

Daniel

One of the November 1995 segments from General Hospital http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMMkIgOjTOU

When Angels Cry
(Janis Ian)

Wait
Your tired arms must rest
Let this moment pass
Wait until the morning
Close your eyes and let me see
who you used to be
left without a warning
Who knew one so big could grow so small
Lighter than the writing on the wall

When angels cry, can I stand by
When stones weep, can my heart sleep
Wish I'd never heard, wish I'd never heard
Wish I'd never heard
the power of a four-letter word

'Cause only love will matter in the end
for woman or for man
What's the difference now
Here we live with bottles and needles and truth
Here is your living proof
that death cannot be proud
Some say it's a judgement on us all
I can't believe that God would be that small

When angels cry, can I stand by
When stones weep, can my heart sleep
Wish I'd never heard, wish I'd never heard
Wish I'd never heard
the power of a four-letter word

If ever was a soul that longed to fly
If ever was a heart that longed to bloom
If ever was an angel it was you
So close your eyes and say goodbye
Goodbye

When angels cry, I can't stand by
When stones weep, my heart can't sleep
I Guess I finally learned
Guess I finally learned
Yes, I finally learned
Love is just a four-letter word
Hope is just a four-letter word
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline water duck

Re: Wish I'd never heard the power of a four-letter word
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »
Oh how true, thank you Daniel for sharing !!

Wd

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 02:16:47 pm »
Wow, what a powerful song.  Thanks Daniel.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:04:03 pm »
You know, even after 12 years that song can still choke me up, but that's good! It tells me I'm still able to feel deeply despite my fears and that I haven't turned into a hard hearted person unable to face and survive my reality with open eyes (or what may lie ahead if that makes any sense). So in many ways, I'm glad it still does.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:37:45 pm »
Hello Daniel,

It has been a long time, since I heard that song. Certainly triggers the emotions.

Thanks for sharing---------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 12:53:12 pm »
Yes Ray, it is certainly a deeply moving song. It certainly shifted me out of my state of hovering on the edges of my new reality and brought me into the light of day. And here we are. Life is still happening, tho some days I'd swear it’s trying to off me.  ;)

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:37:59 pm »
That song just flays me...but daniel, life may be trying to 'off' you but we won't let it! Anyone who reminds me of something that integral to my 'coming of age' with this illness isn't allowed to be offed!!! ;D
hope that makes sense, strange how we get comfort from these things....just goes to show, doesn't have to be specific to be relevant xxx
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 05:57:29 am »
Tigger,

Sometimes there is strength to be found in surrender.

Part of how I keep going forward despite the challenges or setbacks is to try and keep my inner life active. Songs (or anything) that can help me stretch my thinking and emotional boundaries just a bit further I consider good for my well being. Where some may hear just another song, I might feel it more deeply, and such is the case with “When Angels Cry.”

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.