Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 136
Total: 137

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: does aids equal death?  (Read 7858 times)

Offline klvnhrpr

• love beauty rain laughter
does aids equal death?
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:18:22 pm »
Hello guys. I have been on here before but somehow my account was erased due to inactivity or something. Any I was having a discussion with my brother after seeing the movie "I am Legend" which was really good but we got on the topic of HIV and AIDS. My brother believes that once a person has AIDS that thats it, they die. Done deal. He believes that in essence AIDS equals death. I simply cannot believe this is the case. I have done research and it appears to be very clear to me that people come back from AIDS allot now a days especially with all the new medications and advancements in health care. Needless to say the convo got heated and ended abruptly.

Who's right?

klvn
We are all of us ugly in that we are all beautifully flawed.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: does aids equal death?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:42:47 pm »
My opinion here. I would say in the early days of AIDS when people knew very little, I would think it was a death sentence then. I do not feel that way now. Not to say people are not dying from AIDS, they are. I just feel with the medication that is out now that it is not happening as fast. That may not be the correct way of saying it but I think people will understand what I mean.

There are people here in these forums that has been living with hiv/aids for over 20+ years. Most of them, doing pretty well, I believe. So, I don't really think of it as a death sentence. I am also diabetic and could drop tomorrow from heart disease or something. Tomorrow is promised to no man regardless if you have AIDS or anything else. Live each day to the fullest and be glad you are still here.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »
You are.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 05:09:35 pm »
That's just silly.  I've had an AIDS diagnosis since Dec 1, 2006.  Nothing about me is unhealthy, 'cept that I'm HIV+ and have a bit of reduced lung capacity (from PCP pneumonia which contributed to my diagnosis).  I feel as good, if not better, than I have in years.  I seriously doubt that I'm going to die anytime soon, unless some freak accident or similar takes me out. 

The others who've responded are right, in my opinion.  Back in the 'old days' AIDS often equaled death, but not so much now.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 06:26:10 pm »
Are you HIV+ klvn?  Just curious. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 06:30:18 pm »
Are you HIV+ klvn?  Just curious. 

kinda wondering too.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline allanq

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 07:47:11 pm »
Look at the Long-Term Survivors forum. Many of us have been living with this virus for over 20 years and most of us are not contemplating death in the near future.

Allan

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 08:03:08 pm »
My friend Felix has Aids. His cd4 count is below 200, so he is not only HIV+. But he is very healthy. He does not even have a cold or a cough. Once your immune system recovers (with HAART) you are no longer in danger of having oportunistic infections due to AIDS. AIDS is not what kills people. The oportunistic infections are.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 11:19:24 pm »
I have AIDS.  I have for a while now.  Guess what, still alive and kicking and raising hell.  I also plan to be doing this for more than a few years to come.

LIFE = DEATH -- live it to the fullest.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »
Hello guys. I have been on here before but somehow my account was erased due to inactivity or something. Any I was having a discussion with my brother after seeing the movie "I am Legend" which was really good but we got on the topic of HIV and AIDS. My brother believes that once a person has AIDS that thats it, they die. Done deal. He believes that in essence AIDS equals death. I simply cannot believe this is the case. I have done research and it appears to be very clear to me that people come back from AIDS allot now a days especially with all the new medications and advancements in health care. Needless to say the convo got heated and ended abruptly.

Who's right?

klvn

Let me just say there are people that do live healthy lifestyles have AIDS and others that live riskier lifestyles after HIV and AIDS. Some people are living in street and have AIDS.

Having said all of that there is no one way to measure survival with AIDS for one person alone every situation is different. This is more of a subjective argument in the fact you will get some different ideas and opinions from various walks of life.

I heard from some AIDS survivors that they're doctors said they most likely die from old age or something else before AIDS takes a toll on them. But there are others that Asymptomatic no matter what they do.

In these days and ages Trearment options are much better and technology has increased.

Some of the factors contributing to longivity are exercise, diet, sleep, decent medical coverage and access to meds if needed, adherance to antiretrivirals.

Things that can be hard on your immune system recreational or street drugs, drinking alcohol can be harder on your liver especially when taking meds etc... the list goes on.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 03:13:04 am »
If you have an AIDS diagnosis, and don't get proper treatment (due to access, cost, etc.) then you're increasing your risk of an OI which increases your risk of death .

But with proper treatment, monitoring, and adherence many do well for very long stretches (and many will die of something other than an AIDS).

So I'd say you're right.

There are people I know who had an "AIDS" diagnosis who went on meds and NOW have better counts than I do onmeds (my disease never progressed to the "AIDS" criteria).

And as rule of thumb, when I hear anyone speak in "absolutes," I generally look elsewhere for guidance. Very few things in life are black and white IMHO. Lots of shades of grey.

Just my take...
Peace :)
Mike
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 06:51:03 am »
AIDS is not what kills people. The oportunistic infections are.

Thank you for pointing this out, BB. The myths and misinformation are obviously still out there.

We are all dying from the moment we are born. But life is about living, so make the best of what you have because tomorrow you could wake up dead.

;)

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 09:04:37 am »
The answer is "All of the above."

Yes, some people die as a result of complications of AIDS - in other words, opportunistic infections able to get a foothold because of a devastated immune system.

Others receive an AIDS diagnosis, like David, and, through treatment, come back to become strong, vibrant and sexy.

Some, like myself, have somehow managed to live more than 22 years with HIV and never receive an AIDS diagnosis. (Picture me knocking on wood here.) I call it luck of the draw.

As Daniel pointed out, life is a death sentence. What matters is what you do in between those two points.

So, tell your brother he is all wet. There is no way for any of us to predict the future.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 09:27:04 am »
Accounts don't just get "erased" here. How far back are you referring to that you were on the site?

I too am wondering about your HIV status. It's not clear from what you've written. Please clarify. Thanks.
Andy Velez

Offline Iggy

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 09:33:41 am »
I agree most with Mark's/Aztecan post above.

The only thing I wish to add is that there is a misperception by some that death from HIV complications is something of an older generation or the past.  It is not.  There are still some newly infected who do not respond well to treatments albeit they are more the exception than the rule.

Offline klvnhrpr

• love beauty rain laughter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 02:28:32 pm »
Thank you and as for if I'm poz or not the answer is yes. 26yr's old have been poz since 2003. I'm currently not taking meds as I'm abnormally healthy. I owe my health to the way I live my life. I'm happy and plan on staying that way. I do hot have time for feeling sorry or focus on negative energy. I have been struggling with my family who is scared. I understand their fear but I you can only be scared for so long until you  get informed and move on with your life.

thank you all.

Kelvin.
We are all of us ugly in that we are all beautifully flawed.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 02:37:49 pm »
Maybe you should try to educate your family on hiv. It just might make things a little easier for you and answer some of their questions. Just a thought...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 05:02:24 pm »
Welcome back K-Man

Why not print out this thread and hand it to your brother?

Just a thought.
Peace
Positive since 1985

Offline poz1970

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 06:39:29 pm »
When I was diagnosed, I was told I have aids, because I had two category 4 defining illnesses (and a cd4 count of 50'ish)

After meds, I'm back to just being 'hiv positive'

Agree to disagree with your brother, if he's not interested in listening to the truth or facts.

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 06:50:55 pm »
Edit: I can't put that..it was just a message of support though.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:47:20 pm by HIVworker »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 09:45:56 pm »
Well, AIDS hasn't equalled 'death' for me, yet.   My equation is more like this:

AIDS = Mess

It has made a big ole' mess out of my life, ruined my career, devastated me financially, lipoatrophied my face, lipodystrophied my belly...you know all that kind of stuff.      Other than that, I can't complain and I am fortunate and blessed to have the meds that keep me alive.  I pray that I can continue to receive them, at the mercy of the State of Alabama (not known for being a merciful state).

With me, it is first and foremost about the Quality of Life.   I'm glad I didn't give up when I had basically no life, just existing to die from AIDS.   I hung on, and the meds saved me.   My quality of life has improved dramatically from that point.   That is and always will be the standard of measurement for me.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline ubotts

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 01:58:39 am »
I was diagnosed in 1986 with hiv..after 16yrs, then and only then did I go on meds.
I felt fine no matter what the doctors kept telling me.
But that day came, when I was so tired and had a small rash and wondered if it was time
to get on meds.
Well it was ..MY tcells were 27 which sci encest say, OH MY Dear, You have FULL BLOW AIDS.

I only waited due to my ex lover who has passed and watching her with that damn azt
only made her worse..she looked like a walking skeleton..
So with that in mind, I said, Shit..Ill wait till something better comes out and I did for 16yrs..

After awhile of taking melds, I was back to being hiv poz again..
Its kind of stupid when they go by...if your 200 or below that amount of cells, you have full blown aids...
I looked good, just felt tired and knew I had to do something..so I got on the newer
cocktails, which so far so good..
I am still here after 21 yrs, and I haven't had aids for 3 or 4 years.>>
I am hiv poz my viral load is undetectable, and I am still here..........

Years ago in the early 80's I saw many friends drop around me like flies..Including my
brother and my lover,....

But now with so many new and upgrade melds, we stand a chance or else we would be
in this forum......

Now its up to each and every one of us to live as normal as possible...Hell I wake up
and say...damn its nice outside, I feel no pain, i can see, smell , taste, and still enjoy my life..

Yes I had a few scares, and i am sure there will be more to follow, but hey..you can get
hit crossing a busy street too and die..
So why dwell on it..

Full blown aids, got left back somewhere in the late 80' early 90's.......

I know I went on and on..
 :-X
Ha I am on prisoner for my asthma so it keeps me up all night long....so excuse me if i wondered away from your question...But dint worry and keep in touch with the forums..
Theres alto to be learned from us oldtimers.............. 8) cuz we still cool.. :P
Silly ass me better get to bed now.............
Say goodnight Gracie..."good night Gracie"... ;)

Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 07:29:41 am »
OK, the question was discussed at my HIV support group about being diagnosed with AIDS vs. HIV.  Even the facilitators said, once diagnosed with AIDS, it doesn't go back to just HIV. 

Anyway, I agree with Alan.  It's really about quality of life.  What used to be hell is now hmmmmm, pergatory (SP)?  Not that I believe in pergatory (SP), there was just nothing else I could think of.  Yes, my face is drawn in, my belly is poofed out, my legs look like rails, I have skin problems, it seems like I always have a yeast infection.  But it's not like having to rush to the hospital to get a transfusion because of being megadosed with too much AZT, or wasting away down to 87 lbs and being pronounced dead by your Hospice nurse etc.  Today is much better by comparison. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 09:13:57 am »
Thanks for the clarification about your status, K.

If on occasion a family member asks a question about HIV, I suggest just answering the question. Don't load them up with too much information. And/or recommend something for them to read -- perhaps an appropriate lesson on this site. It's amazing and discouraging how uninformed most people continue to be about the basics concerning HIV.

You might also let them know you're in good health and working to stay that way. It can become tiresome dealing with the anxiety of others about HIV, but sometimes they  just want some reassurance that you're doing ok. Which sounds like it's true for you. 
Andy Velez

Offline johnandjeff

• John n Jeff and Johns son
    • John and Jeffs Life
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 10:11:03 am »
Being a 14 year survivor I have learned that its not an immediate death sentence unless you give up. I have had my ups and downs with HIV and been as low as 2 Tcells and a viral load so high they couldn't count it. When Jeff and I lived in South Florida I had my HIV specialist tell me that I needed to go back home (ohio) and get my affairs in order, in other words I was going to die but I'm still here and kicking after 7 years and with 325 Tcells and a a V/L of 1500. I firmly believe that your mindset has alot to do with how you combat the virus and I refuse to let the virus run my life. I've been on SSD since 2000 and last year I decided I was tired of sitting around basically waiting to die and went back to school full time. Yes, its been a challenge but its been well worth it too. On the flip side, I've seen people who tested poz and it was like they gave up at that point and it wasn't long before they did die. I thought when I tested poz I would have maybe 5 years tops but I'm still here after 14 years and I've decided I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines and I want back into the big game of life. So you can tell your brother that once you have it, it doesn't mean you are going to checkout. You can live a long productive fun life
Say hi to that stranger..you never know that you might be speaking to an Angel!!!!

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
I was most likely infected in 1983 (when I was 16) and I received an AIDS diagnosis in 1985. Now being almost 41, I have lived with it more than half my life.. in fact I can't remember what is was like to not have to have AIDS.  My dear sweet partner died almost 3 years ago, he was 41. He lived 18 years with an AIDS diagnosis. We both were/are very healthy people with healthy lifestyles. It might also have something to do with genetics and the type of virus he had.  I for some reason have remained "healthy"

peace

Sharkie

Offline PJC0510

• Life is worth living, so live it while you have it
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 11:29:11 am »
Life = Death.  We all must die from something including your brother.
I may never beat HIV, but then again, it will NEVER beat me!

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 03:34:51 pm »
When we got the phone call from Mini's PID (pediatric ID doc), the first thought that entered my mind was how i was going to make it through her funeral. The second was how i was going to tell her brothers that their sister died. Docs wouldn't even predict how long we'd have her. Then I got angry and survival instinct kicked in. Hubby and I flat out refused for her to die.  Things were touch and go for the first 21 months of her life before she went undetectable.  She still has a hard time with the side effects of contracting the virus in utero and the medications she's on.  But she lives her life and lives it well.  Now we happily plan her future.  She'll outlive us all.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline knittygritty

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 01:22:58 am »
Life = Death. 
I agree with this. I try to remind myself this every day. I always knew that one day I'd die, now I just feel that I have had to come to terms with it on a more real level than "totally healthy" people.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you.  - Grandpa Simpson
  I knit, therefore I am  -  Me

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 02:43:52 am »
I don't think AIDS = Death. I was honestly scared to death that I would be diagnosed with AIDS after that blood test in October, and saw my CD4's dropping. But someone put me straight on that....AIDS is nothing more than a label. Yeah once you reach it, you keep the title. So what? You can still rebound and be happy and sexy (I agree, David that is one really hot pic of you). Anyway, I was told that the reason the title sticks was that once diagnosed with AIDS you can receive medicare benefits in the US. And if you lose the AIDS diagnosis you no longer qualify. I honestly don't know if that 100% accurate, but if it is it makes since that once you diagnosed with AIDS you would keep the title even if you technically fall back in to HIV+ range.

All my diagnosis to me means being HIV+ is...well I no longer fear death. If it happens I don't care, I am not going out looking for it, but if it comes to me I think I am pretty ready. The diagnosis just kinda made me think and accept life and death. I can tell you this stupid virus inside me won't be the thing that kills me in the end. (It's probably going to be my parents....if I don't manage to move out of here soon....34 and living with your parents blows)

So the answer is to me anyway, nope AIDS don't mean nothing but you get some medical with some help from the government in the US if you need or want to deal with it. :)

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline ubotts

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2007, 09:41:35 am »
Thank you all for your opinions on this issue, because I myself wasnt sure..

Now I know once you do go below 200 tcells, and are considered having aids,
You can go back and be hiv, but things do change..

Just thank god that we are all here for one another.......
So glad my I got my computer for this reason alone........ :)
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline randym431

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 10:25:24 am »
I like what Woody Allen says about life and death in general.
Life is full of pain, suffering, misery and its over way too fast. (something like that)   ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 09:30:18 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 12:16:37 pm »
klvn,

Your original account - klvn - was not "erased", as we do not erase accounts here. However, as we do not allow members to have more than one account, I have disabled your original account. Please do not create any more new accounts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 12:31:57 pm »
I think everyone who has posted has some really great advice. AIDS, is not necessarily a death sentence today, it is however a life sentence. How long a sentence it may be, no one really knows. But, it sounds to me as well, that your family could use some better education on the matter.

I encourage you, to also learn as much about the virus as you can, and become an expert yourself. Once you understand the more about the virus and understand more about you, this will be a winning combination for sure. Knowledge is power my friend, and I am sure that your family will come around in time.

Good luck!
Jeromy
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.