Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:32:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What the Republican and Democratic Party 2012 Platforms say about HIV/AIDS  (Read 8684 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
What the Republican and Democratic Party Platforms say about HIV/AIDS

There's hardly any comparison to how the Republican Party and Democratic Party platforms deal with HIV. The Republicans hardly mention it, while the Democrats discuss how to deal with this epidemic at home and abroad throughout the world.

In very few words, the Republican Party simply wants to return to abstinence-only education. While they try to claim their stance is "science-based" (and it is to the point that not having sex does prevent people from being exposed to diseases and/or unplanned pregnancies), it's not very science-based because it ignores the reality that a lot of people do have sex, and quite often it's unprotected sex.

However, the Democrats, in their much more comprehensive platform discussion of HIV, praise former President Bush's incredible PEPAR program; while re-affirming President Obama's continuing committement towards sustaining PEPFAR. They also disuss continuing the first ever national HIV Stratgey implemented by President Obama's administration. This science-based plan addresses the need to test and treat along with retaining patients in treatment as the way American needs to deal with the HIV epidemic in our country.

Below are the segments from each the Party Platforms discussing HIV/AIDS:

from the Republican 2012 Platform
We renew our call for replacing "family planning" programs for teens with abstinence education which teaches abstinence until marriage as the responsible and respected standard of behavior. Abstinence from sexual activity is the only protection that is 100 percent effective against out-of-wedlock pregnancies and sexually-transmitted diseases including HIV/AIDS when transmitted sexually. It is effective, science-based, and empowers teens to achieve optimal health outcomes and avoid risks of sexual activity
http://www.gop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012GOPPlatform.pdf
pg36

from the Democractic 2012 Platform:
pg 35
We Democrats have increased overall funding to combat HIV/AIDS to record levels and will continue our nation’s fight against HIV/AIDS. President Obama established the first-ever comprehensive National HIV/AIDS Strategy for responding to the domestic epidemic, which calls for reducing HIV incidence, increasing access to care, optimizing health outcomes, and reducing HIV-related health disparities. This is an evidence-based plan that is guided by science and seeks to direct resources to the communities at greatest risk, including gay men, black and Latino Americans, substance users, and others at high risk of infection. And we will continue to support America’s groundbreaking biomedical researchers in their lifesaving work.
pg65
Combating HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease.
Recognizing that health is a prerequisite for development, the President has made unprecedented progress in the global fight against HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases. Building on the strong foundation created during the previous administration, the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) has expanded its prevention, care, and treatment programming. As a result, PEPFAR now has made significant investments in more than 30 countries, and we set a goal to roughly double the number of lifesaving anti-retroviral treatments we provide by the end of 2013. With his latest budget, the President is fulfilling his historic commitment to request $4 billion over three years for the Global Fund, and the President remains committed to robust funding for PEPFAR and the Global Fund in the future. And President Obama lifted the 25-year ban that prevented non-citizens living with HIV from entering the United States, allowing the world’s largest group of HIV/AIDS researchers, policymakers, medical professionals, and advocates to convene in Washington to continue their efforts to improve prevention and treatment.
Our efforts to combat HIV/AIDS are part of a broader commitment to address the challenges posed by infectious disease. Over the past four years, the administration has leveraged billions of dollars in commitments from donors to meet the demand for new vaccines, making it possible to immunize millions of children and prevent premature deaths.
http://assets.dstatic.org/dnc-platform/2012-National-Platform.pdf
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: What the Republican and Democratic Party 2012 Platforms say about HIV/AIDS
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:45:27 pm »
I said it before and I will say it again.

Any  person who votes republican is voting explicitly for my deep unhappiness and messy death. They are my sworn enemy and I will pull no punches in letting them know this.

Any HIV positive person who does this is a self-loathing monster of the most unsympathetic order, and deserves the loneliness, the horror, the massive asteroid of Karma that wil come bearing down upon them.

It's been a spectacularly long night, and I am not in the mood to be diplomatic or kind to people who wish me harm.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline idee

• Hi...
I am voting for Obama anyways. I wrote the White house twice and got a reply twice. I wrote Romney's campaign people asking about their plan to help people with HIV and they never wrote back.

Offline Aurora

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 08:59:52 am »
In an effect to bring it to people attn before WAD, i composed a petition to help save ryan white care act.  i already knew that under gop rhetoric, anyone under 60 despite the disability, that it would cut me off too, but debt deals i just want to remind them the importance of keeping ryan white and its myrad services it provides to the many that live with this virus right here and the lack of care they might have if it isnt protected.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/752/712/186/world-aids-day-dec-1-2112-save-ryan-white-care-act-permanantly/

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:15:19 am »
That's great Aurora! Even with the Affordable Care Act and (hopefully) Medicaid Expansion, Ryan White Funding will be needed to fill in the gaps. There will still be a need to help some with ADAP, and with housing. Until the new healthcare plan is fully implemented we need Ryan White to stay fully funded to pick up the slack as the systems transition

btw I signed!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:23:26 am by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 11:21:36 am »
hey idee! I never saw your earlier post here. That's great that you wrote and make your opinion heard - even if some people didn't care to answer.

Although not getting an answer isn't the worst thing. LOL I often get replies back from Senators Lindsey Graham and Jim DeMint and almost feel sick at the callous disregard of the things I think are issues. Not to mention the insipid replies from SC Governor Nikki Halley's office - ick. Never do any of them reply to the merits of the issues or try to further any discussion. They just spout their hateful party lines.

Why once DeMint's reply said he was glad I agreed with him. WHAT?!?!? Needless to say I got on the phone after that and made sure they understood the need to actually look at a citizen's letter before sending out a form reply as not everyone agrees with DeMint's Tea Party values.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.