Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:54:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PEP opinion, still within 24 hours.  (Read 11899 times)

Offline sincere1

PEP opinion, still within 24 hours.
« on: November 08, 2006, 01:37:10 pm »
Firstly, I'd like to thank you all for your assistance and reassurance for what you do.  I would like to describe the details of my sexual episode from last night and see if you think that it warrants PEP or not. 

I'm a male, and the person involved with was a transexual, pre-op.  Kissing, insertive unprotected oral,genital frottage and fingering occured.  however I am concerned about the receptive anal sex, in which the condom was only about half way on his penis as he withdrew.  Is this still considered safe sex?  Much of the condom was hanging off when we finished in other words. 

The main think that worries me is when he was lying on his stomach, I got on top and slid my penis back and forth between his lubricated butt cheeks.  My penis was not fully erect and therefore the tip got 'caught' in the anus a time or two while attempting to slide up and down.  Would this be considered a risk and warrant testing in your opinion as I had topped him previously protected and there could have been fluids from that?

I am very worried about this and appreciate anyones help with this instance.

Offline RapidRod

Re: PEP opinion, still within 24 hours.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:41:26 pm »
You had safer sex and do not need to worry about being infected with HIV nor do you need PEP. As long as the condom didn't come completely off you were still protect. Find one of Ann's threads and follow the link to condoms and see if you can find one that has a better fit. Yes condoms do come in more than one size.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 01:49:31 pm »
thank you very much for the quick response.  So I can put my mind at ease over this episode in your opinion?  The reason that the condom kept slipping a bit is because the guy wasn't fully erect while inside.  I did see that it was on when he pulled out though, so it shouldn't have came off inside i wouldn't think? 

The 'frottage' doesn't concern you, in which my penis may have briefly inserted his anus?  Would have been just the tip if that.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 01:55:29 pm »
You didn't have a risk even if you slid your penis between her cheeks. Now you do know that we have been only discussing HIV and not STDs. STD are more easily to transmit than HIV so when you have your next annual check up have the STD panel done also. Everyone sexually active should be tested at least annually.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 02:00:26 pm »
I understand that, thank you. 

You responded by saying that I slid in between her cheeks, however WHAT IF the tip of my penis inserted the anus while doing so, very briefly???

thanks again for your responses

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 02:06:54 pm »
Depending on what you call brief and how far. Now if you are calling brief for 5mins and insertion of over a quarter then I would say get tested. I still would expect you to get a negative result from a brief exposure. PEP is something you want to stay away from if at all possible. The drugs are expensive, they have mild to serious side effects and you have to take them for 28 days. Most people find that it is more than they can handle and don't even finish the first week. You also need to know PEP is not a cure all. It is only 85-86% effective.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 02:10:55 pm »
OH ok, thanks for clearing that up.  The moment I felt it going in, I backed off, that is what I meant my this.  Thanks again.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 02:20:15 pm »
Ann or Andy's thoughts would be greatly appreciated as well.  Just concerned since it was a possibliity that I may have extremely briefly inserted my penis while performing frottage.  Thi sconcerns me because it was not my intentions and I am freaking out with the thought that I may have had insertive unprotected sex, although for only about 1 or 2 seconds.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
You have no concerns except for an STD infection in the situation you provided.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 10:37:20 am »
thanks for the response RapidRod. 

Since the tip of my penis would have only been exposed to the anus for a few seconds, and full penetration did not occur then it seems I have nothing to worry about from an hiv perspective atleast.  I've read through the other responses on the frottage, but it still seems like a possibility.

Thanks again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 11:38:15 am »
sincere, if it is going cause you increased anxiety and you don't think you can get over it, test 13 weeks past this last situation. Collect your negative result and it will let you move on. It's whatever YOU decide to do.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 01:22:21 pm »
Rapid, thanks again for your thoughts and advice on the subject.  I keep trying to replay the sexcapade over and over in my head trying to determine whether or not my penis may have accidently slid in his lubed anus during our frottage session.  I do remember that once I felt my head and the anus together I panicked, relocated it and started grinding again (stupid i know).  If it DID briefly touch inside the anus, would this be an exposure? 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 04:37:02 pm »
If you would have entered someones anus you wouldn't be here wondering if you did, you would know.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 12:25:35 pm »
As Rod has already repeatedly and accurately told you, what you have described did not constitute a risk for HIV transmission.

You are dabbling around in WHAT IFS, which is quite something else and is not a healthy space to hang around in.

From what you have said previously you weren't at risk in this situation. I say let it go and move on with your life.

If you're going to hang on to bothering yourself about it, then get tested at 13 weeks, collect the inevitable negative result and stamp the case closed. PEP is not warranted in this situation and is not something to be embarked upon simply because your mind is bothering you with WHAT IFS.

You have to decide if you need to do that to let go of what reads like an unwarranted fear to me.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline sincere1

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 11:50:12 am »
I've been trying to sort these issues out in my head for quite a while now, but realize that it is DEFINETELY now time to start living my life, and confront the things that I keep going back to. 

I sincerely appreciate Rod and Andys help here, you've made it clear that I am being foolish and need to move on.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 12:09:38 pm »
Good. Get on with your life. It's way too short anyway to spend it worrying needlessly.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline sincere1

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 09:33:06 am »
My final concern is whether or not my very brief, one insertion of the head of my penis into the rectum, occuring during a frottage session gone wrong would be extremely worrisome of possible infection???  I think that this happened.  I am racking myself over this, but just need this simple answer, your perspective guys. 

I started a new job, and am not focusing like I need to be because of this.  It really sucks, and I will NEVER put myself in this predicament again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 10:14:47 am »
I've answered this before. Do I think you had a real risk? NO!

But I am gradually being convinced that perhaps only testing and collecting the inevitable negative result will get you to let go of this nagging concern. If you can't let go, then get tested and stamp the matter CLOSED.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline sincere1

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 10:21:49 am »
I have been honestly trying to put this behind me and to begin living life as we've discussed before Andy.  I am going to try harder this time.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement. 

Offline sincere1

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 10:10:04 am »
As you guys have previously stated, I have had no REAL risk.  I just want to make sure that I am interpreting everything right here-so the fact that during my anal frottage episode my penis just barely slipped in for a matter of seconds would not be considered a risk correct?  This would seem like a pretty gray area, but I'm just trying to listen to you guys since you are the experts.

I have actually been doing much better lately, and am finally able to do the things I enjoy, like having peaceful thoughts over a good cup of coffee. 

Hope all of you have a blessed Holiday season.  :)

Offline j_friend

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 10:30:22 am »
Sincere - the mind is awesome in its ability to change frottage to penetration. Trust me, if you continue to obsess and replay the incident in your imagination, the scenario may morph into FULL unprotected intercourse.  Perhaps not, but my point is that the nature of your posts seem to be flavored with guilt.  Therapy is helping me observe my sexuality, guilt, and why I feel I need to be "punished" for my sexual behaviors (and why I mistakenly view HIV as a punishment). It may help for you to seek help.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 07:41:48 pm »
As you guys stated, I didn't have a risk if my penis never actually penetrated the other person; the problem is is that I have a strong feeling that it did briefly as I mentioned before; maybe a time or two.  The reason I keep thinking this is because the person was very "loose", and also very "lubed up".  Even if this did occur, after reading through the lessons, it seems my risk was be slim for aquiring hiv, but I can't seem to shake the possibility of it and the constant anxiety.

I also realize that symptoms don't mean a thing when it comes to the disease, but at 3 weeks after the incident I have a fungal infection in the crease of my leg and groin.  It is getting better with creams and powder but I've never had this before.  I also had a strange itchy-chest causing a cough and what felt like a lump in my throat for a few days along with this.  No fever has occured, or headaches.  My face has also been very red and blotchy on both sides lately, but I remember this happened some time a while ago too. 

What do you guys make of this?  If you don't recall my poss. exposure was protected receptive anal, unprotected insertive oral, and heavy frottage (atleast I am hoping it was frottage) in which I grinded my penis between my very promiscuous partner's heavy-lubricated butt cheeks, and may have slipped in very briefly a time or two. 

Thanks again for your input and help, and I hope that you are enjoying the holiday season so far.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 07:44:37 pm »
one other thing, it is almost 4 weeks post-encounter.  Should I test for peace of mind at 6 weeks through the oraquick tests?  There is a free clinic nearby.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 07:59:05 pm »
Reread the replies you have been given. You didn't need to test for a  non risk situation. Please do not use the resources of a free clinic for a non risk test. If you want to test for a non risk situation, please forfit the money out of your own pocket.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 08:41:31 pm »
I can understand where you are coming from rod, and I know these clinics work with limited resources.  But like you all stated before, I will have to test for peace of mind because the factor that I could have had a risk is still there and that is to much for me to just dust off my sleeve.  The fact that I'm not 100% sure if I inserted or not is reason enough for me to be skeptical.  I am trying to remain hopeful about it, but the doubt is still there unfortunatly.  I wish it wasn't  :(

Offline sincere1

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 08:49:32 pm »
I am going to try a different approach to this and listen to the advice you are giving me Rapidrod.  I am being irrational about this whole thing and I apologize for the stubborn side of me coming througjh.  Time to live my life again without the worry.  Thanks again for your words Rapid.

Offline sincere1

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 09:19:08 pm »
j_friend, I've read your scenerio and am happy that everything turned out good for you.  It seems we have had a similar "history" as far as the female/Ts thing and guilt in addition.  I'm glad things are looking up for you.  I'm hoping everything will pan-out here too.

Offline sincere1

please read experts
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 04:54:53 pm »
because of the tremendous anxiety i was going through, I went and tested through my dr. at the 7 week mark using the oral/orasure method.  he is pretty up to date on the current guidelines, and practices in the downtown dallas area.   The results were neg., but I still can't seem to shake the worry that I more than likely had a brief unprotected insertive encounter.  about 4 weeks after, I had unprotected intercourse with my gf and now she has been complaining of multiple symptoms, stiffness in the  neck, aching shoulders, numbness in the face, lips and mouth, aches in knees and beneath groin (crease of legs), and bad pounding headaches.  only a slight bout of fever and sore throat accompanied.  on another note she has been under a great amount of stress lately.  i intend on retesting at the 3 month mark. 

what do you make of all of this in the meantime?  your help in greatly apprec. once again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 05:27:55 pm »
You do need help, but not by testing. You were told you didn't have a risk several times. What is happening to your gf has nothing to do with you. You can't give something you don't have.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 05:32:02 pm »
sincere,

You and your girlfriend have unprotected intercourse? I hope you've tested for all STIs together. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.