Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:27:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sudhir Paul, Ph.D. UpDate  (Read 45170 times)

Offline OhioGuyHere26

Sudhir Paul, Ph.D. UpDate
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:36:58 pm »
   I wrote Doctor Sudhir Paul on August 17, 2009 pertaining to his research and I wanted to keep you all posted as to what he wrote me in return.

Dear Mr. Sudhir Paul

Greetings, my name is OhioGuyHere26 and I would like to ask you a few questions? I’ll keep this short and simple. Are you still studying/researching your HIV inquiries that the world was talking about back in Aug. of 2008? Where can I find your latest updates? and When will you be accepting human clinical trials?

Sincerely,
OhioGuyHere26

Sent on behalf of Sudhir Paul, Ph.D.

Dear OhioGuyHere26:

Thank you for your email. We are fully committed to taking the research to its logical conclusion of clinical testing of abzyme therapy and vaccination for HIV infection. We are moving as rapidly as feasible in completing the preclinical regulatory milestones. We could begin human clinical trials 9-12 months after we have raised sufficient money. The research is going well and we are very optimistic. More information about our published research data, progress, news releases, and ways to donate/sponsor are available at:
http://www.uth.tmc.edu/pathology/research/circ/hivtherapyandvaccination.htm.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely
Sudhir Paul

Director, Chemical Immunology Research Center
Professor, Department of Pathology
University of Texas - Houston Medical School

Offline J220

Re: Sudhir Paul, Ph.D. UpDate
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:39:57 am »
"We could begin human clinical trials 9-12 months after we have raised sufficient money."

In other words, they don't even have financing for this yet...so when and if they get financing it will be about a year after that to even begin the trials. So give and take anywhere between 5-10 years for a full 3-phase trial to complete and we're looking at years and years down the line. I won't hold my breath for this one!

But anyway, thanks for posting this and taking the time to write to them.

"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline marius68

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:27:27 am »
"On September 24 2009, a dynamic group of young professionals will join forces in New York to throw the debut charity benefit for Covalent Immunology Foundation: HARD MEDICINE. This event celebrates the Foundation’s groundbreaking research in catalytic antibody technology in the fight against HIV and their socially conscious plans for distribution of medical care. (...)"

You can read more:

http://www.covalentimmunology.org/

http://covalentimmunology.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/hello-world/

http://hardmedicine.eventbrite.com/

The latest paper from Dr. Sudhir Paul can be found here:

http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2009/09/02/jbc.M109.032185.abstract?sid=d70a8bff-521b-4f25-af05-b17381f4c3da

This is the kind of activism we should engage in. It's a very promising avenue of research and all efforts to speed up the process should be done. Dr. Paul is a scientist with a BIG S!!

Hope we could do something similar with Dr. Yamamoto GCMAF!!

Offline veritas

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:30:31 am »

Ohioguy,

Fascinating research! It seems the gp120 region exposed on the virus is a common denominator for a non=mutatable target for HIV. This region is also the goal of anti-ps. However, it seems Dr. Paul has found a certain region of the gp120 called Egp120 that seems to do the job very efficiently. This not only has preventable vaccine implications but also darn good therpeutic value. The following link gives a good explanation of Dr. Paul's work:

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/pathology/research/circ/hiv.html

Please keep following this research.

marius,
I agree with you that Dr. Paul is a scientist with a capital S! I am glad to see he has collaborated with Dave Montefiori of CHAVI on some of his research. This means information is being shared and perhaps Dr. Paul's research will be incorporated within the vaccine  initiative being done at CHAVI. Dr. Paul states that he believes a vaccine could be available within 5 to 10 years, however, a therapeutic should not take as long if he gets the funding. HARD MEDICINE helps build HARD BODIES! A worthy cause!

Please keep us posted!

v

Offline Carlos3000

atripla

09/10      cd4 564  Und  30 %

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:10:14 pm »
 ???

is the difference between abzymes and antibodies?
the Achilles heel of HIV was not the abzymes?
I do not understand this research.

???

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:55:22 pm »

braziliaman,

An abzyme is a certain type of antibody called a catalytic antibody. they have the potential to detoxify a drug in the blood stream (like cocaine), destroy a virus, or target tumor cells. They have the potential to be programmed to go after a certain target and destroy it. For HIV, the ideal target would be that portion of the virus that doesn't mutate:

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/cutting_edge/catalytic_ab/catalytic_ab.htm

The Achilles Heal that Dr. Sudhir Paul is talking about is a region on the virus that does not mutate. It is located on the gp120 protein and consists of a tiny stretch of amino acids numbered 421-433. See:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080715165520.htm

So you are correct to say that the Achilles Heal is NOT the abzyme. The abzyme, if effective, has the potential to cure HIV. The abzymes should be able to be programmed to go after any target as long as that target is non-mutatable.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 08:18:08 pm »
There's now a grassroots group called the Covalent Immunology Foundation, hosting a  fundraiser as well as making a flashy PSA in order to raise money for this.

Can This Man Cure AIDS?
Sudhir Paul's research could be revolutionary—or it could be a waste of time and resources. Why a group of nonscientists has decided to bet on his out-there ideas.

Last summer, while watching a news program about a possible AIDS vaccine, Zach Barnett had a "Eureka!" moment. The show was describing a Texas scientist's unorthodox approach to vaccine-making, a strategy that involved superantigens and covalent bonds and a lot of other words that weren't in Barnett's vocabulary. That didn't matter; the science turned him on anyway. "It was just so cool," he says. "I was like, 'lightbulb!' "

For years, Barnett, a fashion publicist, had been trying to get involved in AIDS activism, but mainstream organizations had told him there wasn't much for him to do, save passing out brochures. "That was a waste of my talent," he says. Here he saw a use for his skills. He wrote to the scientist, Dr. Sudhir Paul of the University of Texas, to tell him that "if what he was saying was true, he was doing a bad job of publicizing it." To show he was serious, he offered Paul $50 out of his own pocket to support the research

Continued . . .

LINKS:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/224968

http://covalentimmunology.org/

They're trying to raise money by getting LOTS of people to donate $5. each which could work as far as fundraising, most of the donations to the Obama campaign were small and added up. Although I suspect it's mainly to generate publicity so that private donors with big bucks can come in ("Hello, David Geffen?")

www.ENDhiv.com
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:38:14 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline marius68

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:51:55 am »

The striking part of the Newsweek article, in my opinion, is this:

"The final, and perhaps most daunting, problem with Paul's work is that so far, the only published research has been conducted in test tubes and mice. (Paul says he also has some promising data from rabbits, but it's unpublished.) The NIH has funded his work lavishly until recently, contributing almost $30 million, but now, just as he's getting ready to move to trials in monkeys, it's balking."

Why is that so? Is it because of jealousy from the established gurus of the field? Are they afraid of the fame Prof. Paul will get if the abzyme technology takes off and provides a cure? Are there other influences from the drug powerhouses? The whole story described in the paper requires a very careful analysis. Why hasn't the NIH continued to fund Prof. Paul, specially after having spent 30 million?

Something is fundamentally wrong in the research process in the US. For the billions of dollars invested in R&D the outcome is rather poor. And a good example is Prof. Paul's research. For a new approach that promises to eradicate the virus or at least provide a complete "functional cure", eliminating the problems all of us have with current meds, saving immediately billions of dollars every year, not spending a few million makes no sense to me. Unless there's something hidden! Many people talk about conspiracy theories, but it can  simply be the grant awarding process where in a small world of scientific research all personal animosities and jealousies surface and influence the decisions. Either way the whole process is flawed and is wonderful things happen at the basic research level, transitioning to clinical trials is another story. Geovax's story to start the therapeutical vaccine trial is another good example.

The abzyme approach is scientifically sound and of great promised. Only needs to be tested and perfected if required. It promises fewer side effects that conventional antibodies because of its catalytic nature. One abzyme can inactivate many virus! Because is seems to be powerful and targeted this treatment should be able to completely replace the toxic drugs!

We all must appreciate Prof. Paul for his achievements and the capacity to move things forward!! 

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:48:55 am »

I was so excited when I heard about Dr Paul's work, then so disappointed when he                 could not raise money to carry on his work.
              Is there no public money available for medical research in the US.
              Do the researchers have raise their own money
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline marius68

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:40:36 am »
Sam66,

Dr Paul's approach is just one example of great research that for some reason do not move to clinical trials.   The most striking example seems to be the GcMAF of Dr. Yamamoto. According do the published work. it can cure CANCER and HIV! Why has Geovax struggle to start clinical trials of the therapeutical vaccine?
Money is available for conventional, classical approaches, like the Thai trial. If I'm not wrong 105 million dollars of taxpayer's money was spent in that trial! I agree that the trial had to be done, despite the failure of the two vaccines alone, but there should be a rationalization of costs allowing an unequivocal completion of promising research programs. Abzymes and GcMAF, for example, seem to work in animal models and in humans, respectively. With less than 10% of the money spent on the Thai trial we would know whether they work or not!! And what they promise is big: a cure for this and eventually CANCER too!

An interesting article about research, ethics, conflicts of interest, etc. appeared on "The Scientist". Registration is free and the link is here:

http://www.the-scientist.com/templates/trackable/display/blog.jsp?type=blog&o_url=blog/display/56151&id=56151#comments

The government agency tasked with funding crucial life science research needs to focus more attention on ethical quandaries and nefarious business practices that often obscure the path from discovery to public benefit, says a strongly worded letter to Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), signed by more than 100 biomedical researchers, journal editors, and health care administrators in the US.

"...we ask that you acknowledge the research gap on the effect of conflicts of interest and commercial influence on medical decision making," the letter reads, "and set in motion a process that leads to recognition of the importance of funding studies on research ethics, the beliefs and behaviors of researchers and clinicians, and the effects of industry-academic relationships on the generation and dissemination of medical knowledge."

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Immunotherapy of HIV-infected patients with Gc protein-derived macrophage
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 11:12:53 am »
About the comment of marius68 on the fascinating researches conducted by Dr. Yamamoto:
Just few links below.

Newest Yamamoto paper: Immunotherapy of HIV-infected patients with Gc protein-derived macrophage activating factor (GcMAF). J Med Virol. 2009 Jan;81(1):16-26

After less than 18 weekly administrations of 100 ng GcMAF for nonanemic patients, they exhibited low serum Nagalase activities equivalent to healthy controls, indicating eradication of HIV-infection, which was also confirmed by no infectious center formation by provirus inducing agent-treated patient PBMCs. No recurrence occurred and their healthy CD + cell counts were maintained for 7 years.

Source

Comments of Dr. Gallant about Yamamoto FOCIS 2009

Here

Others links

1. Yamamoto patents
2. Yamamoto's more relevant work
3. A look at his research dating back to 1957
4. Dr. Saharuddin Bin Mohamad and GcMAF
5. Related Work Supporting the use of MAF as a potent anti-cancer agent
6. GcMAF analogs 1 2
7. A biography of Dr. Nobuto Yamamoto
8. Osteopetrosis, immunosuppression and cancer
9. April 2009 Italian paper showing Nagalase as causing impared immune function

A clinic providing lAT or Immuno-Augmentative Therapy

See here

Note

Videos on GcMAF

EDIT: Added screenshoots + syntax
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:23:28 pm by John2038 »

Offline xman

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 01:11:16 pm »
An interesting article about research, ethics, conflicts of interest, etc. appeared on "The Scientist". Registration is free and the link is here:

http://www.the-scientist.com/templates/trackable/display/blog.jsp?type=blog&o_url=blog/display/56151&id=56151#comments

The government agency tasked with funding crucial life science research needs to focus more attention on ethical quandaries and nefarious business practices that often obscure the path from discovery to public benefit, says a strongly worded letter to Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), signed by more than 100 biomedical researchers, journal editors, and health care administrators in the US.

"...we ask that you acknowledge the research gap on the effect of conflicts of interest and commercial influence on medical decision making," the letter reads, "and set in motion a process that leads to recognition of the importance of funding studies on research ethics, the beliefs and behaviors of researchers and clinicians, and the effects of industry-academic relationships on the generation and dissemination of medical knowledge."

Conspiracy theories?  :o

Offline sam66

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 08:48:37 am »

Does the NIH give any reasons as to why they may withdraw funding to a
              particular research group

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 01:32:20 pm »
Donate 5 / 10 / 15 USD or more to support the research of Dr. Sudhir Paul, Ph.D
http://covalentimmunology.org/sections/donate.html

Online donation goes towards the Phase I FDA clinical trials. The goal is approximately $2.5 million, and every donation helps us get a step closer. Donate today and tell your friends to do the same.

If everything goes fine, HIV infected patient might benefit from this research in around 5 years.

About the CIF mission statement

CIF aims to raise funds for research and education that will rapidly translate the hard earned abzyme and covalent vaccination discoveries into medical benefits. CIF will provide funds for timely completion of expensive drug effectiveness and safety studies required by the Food and Drug Administration. It is estimated that drug development costs can be up to 1 billion dollars. For instance, preventative HIV vaccination trials will require a large investment, as a large number of humans must be tested, and their infection status must be monitored for years. CIF’s mission is to enable this process with support from a broad cross-section of the public. In addition, CIF will support Dr. Paul’s efforts to raise additional governmental funds for the research and development.

If you believe in this research, please support it by any means: of course, it could be by donating something, but also by informing others people about the on-going effort to raise additional funds for this research to become hopefully a reality.
If I may add (sorry if it's not very nice), know that expecting the others to do something will not be very helpful. If you need to, think about what you can possibly do, and if you feel so, do something that you can do.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:34:37 pm by John2038 »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 01:40:19 pm »
Donate 5 / 10 / 15 USD or more to support the research of Dr. Sudhir Paul, Ph.D
http://covalentimmunology.org/sections/donate.html

Online donation goes towards the Phase I FDA clinical trials. The goal is approximately $2.5 million, and every donation helps us get a step closer. Donate today and tell your friends to do the same.

If everything goes fine, HIV infected patient might benefit from this research in around 5 years.

I donated $10. and will probably donate more in the near future. Will also try to get the word out.

Offline xman

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 01:46:54 pm »
I can't understand why The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation don't help in the funding process. There are also many other philantropic foundations which could assist.

Finally how the intend to finance the final testing phases once they started with phase I? Why no proof of concept trials were made on a very limited number of patients to see if and how it works?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:56:21 pm by xman »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »
I can't understand why The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation don't help in the funding process. There are also many other philantropic foundations which could assist.

I think the whole grassroots campaign asking people for $5. is more of a publicity strategy. If they are able to garner enough publicity and attention then they might get some funding from the bigger donors, if not the usual organizations such as Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Elton John Foundation, AMFAR, then maybe one or two private (rich) individual donors.

I think people should still give money, though, to show there is real support for unconventional research. Plus, they just might be able to reach the amount they need with small donations in order to fund an initial trial, the Obama campaign proved that a lot could be raised with small donations online.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:30:06 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 01:11:50 pm »
I'm on a mailing list for CIF and received this update:

Our goal is to conduct a FDA Phase I trial for this promising HIV Vaccine.  This Phase I trial will cost approximately $2.5 million and likely involve 20 HIV+ people.  We expect that this Phase I trial will demonstrate the safety and potential that abzymes hold for eradicating HIV.

In 2 months, Covalent Immunology Foundation has raised over $50,000, or about 2% of the total cost of the trial.  We are excited by this amazing start and we believe that this Newsweek article will help publicize CIF's fundraising approach as well as illustrate the groundbreaking potential of abzyme technology. 

CIF is also in the process of forming an important partnership with a clinical research organization (CRO) to conduct the Phase I clinical trial at a sharply reduced rate.

Please continue to support us by sending this article to your friends today for World AIDS Day, and spread the word about the only HIV Vaccine candidate with the potential to protect against every known genetic variation of HIV.

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 04:35:37 pm »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:39:44 pm by sensual1973 »
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 04:38:35 pm »

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 04:46:41 pm »
Well hopefully its the best 100.00 I have ever spent..... ;D
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 06:39:51 pm »
This research does sound interesting.

But what really got my attention was the cost.   $2.5 million dollars for a Phase1 clinical trial for only 20 people.  That's $125,000 per person for a Phase 1 trial which is usually of very short duration (weeks/months).

While there certainly is a need for more funding, maybe an equally important issue is using the funds more efficiently.  I wish I could offer a brilliant solution, but I can't, but I find the numbers kinda shocking. 

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline georgep77

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 06:40:30 pm »
Yeah !!! Hopefully my $20 bucks can help a little    :D
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline Carlos3000

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 06:44:57 pm »
plus , my $ 20.00 too   ;)
atripla

09/10      cd4 564  Und  30 %

Offline tash08

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 08:01:29 pm »
Just donated 10$, not a big sum of the GREEN but I believe in research hopefully in the near future they will be able to get funding from a large company.
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline Cosmicdancer

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 11:21:20 pm »
I donated $15 today too.  I'll try to make recurring donations.  We all just need to email about 10 friends each and ask them to do the same.  There is a youtube video with Lady Bunny, Justin Bond and other gay performers that promotes this fundraising effort.  Let's make it, um, viral. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjP_H5n33Eo
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 04:05:59 am »
lets not worry about the overall coast,its nothing compared to saving lifes.i sent the links to friends on FB and other sites too,hopefully they will donate.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline sam66

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 07:29:01 am »

seems like a lot of people have a gut feeling about this.
                         I'm sure something good will come out of this research

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 09:55:13 am »
There is a youtube video with Lady Bunny, Justin Bond and other gay performers that promotes this fundraising effort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjP_H5n33Eo
is that Regan Hoffman at :34?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 11:49:27 am »
Abzyme Research Foundation Announces Promising HIV Vaccine Candidate

Scientists at University of Texas Houston Medical School Identify Key Defect in Immune Response to HIV

VIENNA and NEW YORK, July 20 /PRNewswire/ -- The Abzyme Research Foundation announces today that Dr. Sudhir Paul, a scientist at University of Texas Houston Medical School, has identified an important immunological deficiency in HIV-infected patients and has created a promising HIV vaccine candidate that rectifies the deficiency.  The discoveries were presented on July 19th and 20th, 2010 at the XVII International AIDS Society Conference in Vienna, Austria.

The HIV vaccine candidate has been tested in mice and rabbits.  It was effective in inducing the production of protective antibodies that stopped the HIV from infecting human blood cells in laboratory tests.

Dr. Paul and his colleagues discovered that HIV patients do not produce sufficient protective antibodies of a type called IgG that are capable of attacking the vulnerable CD4 binding site on the HIV.  The virus binds to human host cells through this site to cause infection. The CD4 binding site is a small part of gp120, a protein found on the surface of HIV.  Studies of mice injected with gp120 confirmed an insufficient IgG response to the CD4 binding site. Previous vaccine tests by other researchers used the gp120 protein itself without success in protecting against infection.

Continued  . . .

LINK:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/abzyme-research-foundation-announces-promising-hiv-vaccine-candidate-98825444.html

Offline veritas

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 01:30:31 pm »

Inch,

Nice article! Hope it generates more interest in S. Paul's work.

The following study from pubmed shows that there is a good possibility that long term survivors can still generate the necessary antibodies to neutralize hiv by using among other things a "mutation procedure". This stuff looks hopeful. I also like the way Dr.P's work is reported. See this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20186035

"CONCLUSION: These observations identify the 421-433 peptide region as a vulnerable HIV site to which survivors of infection can produce powerful neutralizing antibodies. This indicates that the human immune system can bypass restrictions on the adaptive B cell response to the CD4BS, opening the route to targeting the 421-433 region for attaining control of HIV infection"

v

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 12:57:38 am »
Abzyme Research Foundation Announces Promising HIV Vaccine Candidate

Scientists at University of Texas Houston Medical School Identify Key Defect in Immune Response to HIV

VIENNA and NEW YORK, July 20 /PRNewswire/ -- The Abzyme Research Foundation announces today that Dr. Sudhir Paul, a scientist at University of Texas Houston Medical School, has identified an important immunological deficiency in HIV-infected patients and has created a promising HIV vaccine candidate that rectifies the deficiency.  The discoveries were presented on July 19th and 20th, 2010 at the XVII International AIDS Society Conference in Vienna, Austria.

The HIV vaccine candidate has been tested in mice and rabbits.  It was effective in inducing the production of protective antibodies that stopped the HIV from infecting human blood cells in laboratory tests.

Dr. Paul and his colleagues discovered that HIV patients do not produce sufficient protective antibodies of a type called IgG that are capable of attacking the vulnerable CD4 binding site on the HIV.  The virus binds to human host cells through this site to cause infection. The CD4 binding site is a small part of gp120, a protein found on the surface of HIV.  Studies of mice injected with gp120 confirmed an insufficient IgG response to the CD4 binding site. Previous vaccine tests by other researchers used the gp120 protein itself without success in protecting against infection.

Continued  . . .

LINK:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/abzyme-research-foundation-announces-promising-hiv-vaccine-candidate-98825444.html

So All we've got is another candidate for a vaccine which will leave the rest of us in the cold? 
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 01:10:00 am »
Being HIV positive does not give one license to resent those breakthroughs without looking like a tool.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline veritas

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 05:09:59 am »

WTF,

Did you really read Inch's link? Have you ever heard of a therapeutic vaccine? Also, the therapeutic aspects of this moa is further explained in the link I provided. That's the beauty of Paul's work.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:52 am »
So All we've got is another candidate for a vaccine which will leave the rest of us in the cold? 

The Abzyme Research Foundation (ARF) is a non-profit entity established to support innovative research and development for treatment and prevention of HIV/AIDS.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
Being HIV positive does not give one license to resent those breakthroughs without looking like a tool.

And fear of looking like a "tool" shouldn't prevent me from voicing my concerns.  I'm not begrudging the 99.5% of society that doesn't have the disease anything but it'd be nice if advances in treatment for the rest of
us consisted of more than refinements on existing treatments.  I'm aware that he's mentioned therapeutic practices in the vaccine in the past but saw no mention of it in the most recent link.  Inching are you quoting recent things he's said or is that your speculation because I've honestly seen nothing of him discussing therapeutic applications in the link I saw.  The rest of you who are do fucking excited that the whole world is barrelling towards a cure that will exclude you, don't mistake your fears of bring labeled "tools" as an obligation to celebrate your own neglect.
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 03:57:36 pm »
That was taken from the recent link, it's part of the bio.

I know what you mean, they didn't exactly talk too much (or at all) about therapeutics this time around.

It's all still too early to call.

The recent report on the state of HIV cure research coming out of the pre-Vienna meeting will hopefully help remove the stigma surrounding scientists working on a cure. So much more is being spent on a preventive vaccine (with no stigma attached to that) but the irony is that as far as the science goes, and despite past setbacks, it may be a simpler matter to cure than to prevent.

LINK:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=33551.0

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 07:03:11 pm »
I've donated to the newly founded foundation in the past and just received this update on their progress:

Introducing the Abzyme Research Foundation

Advancing research of abzyme technology in the hope of creating the world’s first effective HIV vaccine

Dear Supporter,

I am very pleased to announce the launch of the Abzyme Research Foundation! Thanks to your generous support (either at one of our events or through our website, endhiv.com), we are making real progress supporting the search for an effective HIV vaccine.

Promising abzyme technology has brought us closer than we’ve ever been to a real candidate for an HIV vaccine. It is now time to put this concept to work. Obviously, numerous political and social obstacles continue to make the ongoing global battle against HIV an arduous one. Advancing practical scientific HIV research will require the attention and cooperation of government, corporations and large non-profit organizations.

At ARF, we believe that individual public donations for scientific research will make a statement to these groups that the public demands development in new stages in HIV treatment. If you’re tired of waiting for real progress in the fight against this global pandemic, we hope you’ll take part in our $150,000 challenge that will kick off later this summer.

The $150,000 ARF will raise with this challenge will fund a new pre-clinical trial, requested by the National Institute of Health, of Dr. Sudhir Paul’s abzyme-based vaccine for HIV. The results from this trial will be published within 3-6 months of completion. By supporting ARF and Dr. Paul’s research, you will be personally playing a role in the vital research we need stop the spread of HIV.

You’re invited to check out the re-vamped endhiv.com to learn about the science behind abzyme technology, find out about the new members of our organization and see photos from our most recent event, held on June 8, 2010.

Stay tuned for more information about ARF’s upcoming initiatives. We hope you’ll join us in the fight to find an HIV vaccine in our lifetime.

Thank you,

Zachary Barnett
Director of Development, ARF
zachary@abzymeresearchfoundation.org

Offline J220

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 02:29:40 am »
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 06:48:53 pm »
More information from the foundation relative to Dr Paul. I really hope folks who are able will consider donating to his research.

Dear ARF supporter,

I am thrilled to share some incredible news with you.  This is big.
On July 19, Dr. Sudhir Paul presented the results from his recent study on the effects of abzymes on the HIV virus to the XVII International AIDS Society Conference in Vienna.  His team has developed a “synthetic electrophilic vaccine candidate”, or E-VAC, which works by focusing the antibody response at the CD4 binding site on the HIV virus. Since the structure of the CD4 binding site is very similar in all HIV strains throughout the world, a globally effective HIV vaccine may be possible.

On the heels of his presentation, over 160 news outlets from around the world picked up the news of Dr. Paul’s incredible findings, exposing to the work of Dr. Paul and ARF to millions of people who, like you, are frustrated with the lack of an effective vaccine or treatment for HIV.

Alan Kleiman, ARF’s Chairman of the Board, commented “We are backing the research of Dr. Paul’s team because his approach using abzymes shows enormous progress in creating an HIV vaccine.  Our foundation aims to drive discovery and innovation in the field of HIV research in hopes of one day eliminating the HIV/AIDS pandemic.”

Dr Paul speaking at a fund raiser: http://vimeo.com/13941658

Offline ARFadvocate

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »
Dear Forum:
For the past 2 years I have been volunteering to raise money and funds for Dr. Paul's research, and we are coming close to a real breakthrough.  The NIH has funded primate studies for his vaccine candidate, and upon their release the non-profit I have founded ARF will launch a one million dollar fundraising campaign to get this candidate into human trials.  We are aiming to enroll HIV+ and HIV- subjects in the trial to show safety and hopefully signs of the diverse benefits of abzymes.
Please feel free to email me directly with questions or comments
Zachary@abzymeresearchfoundation.org
Best,
Zachary

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »
Dear Forum:
For the past 2 years I have been volunteering to raise money and funds for Dr. Paul's research, and we are coming close to a real breakthrough.  The NIH has funded primate studies for his vaccine candidate, and upon their release the non-profit I have founded ARF will launch a one million dollar fundraising campaign to get this candidate into human trials.  We are aiming to enroll HIV+ and HIV- subjects in the trial to show safety and hopefully signs of the diverse benefits of abzymes.
Please feel free to email me directly with questions or comments
Zachary@abzymeresearchfoundation.org
Best,
Zachary

Thanks for all the amazing work you're doing.

Offline Gio

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 12:59:08 pm »
I wonder if there are any talented Marketing and Web designers out there that could (donate their expertise) help the good doct and University raise awareness and money.... That way we the doctor coan concentrate more on his research and less on the economics?  I am just putting it out there

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 02:12:27 pm »
I wonder if there are any talented Marketing and Web designers out there that could (donate their expertise) help the good doct and University raise awareness and money.... That way we the doctor coan concentrate more on his research and less on the economics?  I am just putting it out there

The doctor already has a team of professionals, with PR led by Zachary Barnett, who posted above. This is their website:

http://abzymeresearchfoundation.org/

Offline sam66

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:44 am »

Good news   

Thank you for the work you are doing Zachary

Offline AlexMerida

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »
Hi
it is been almos two years and nothing hapen....
are we going to wait ?
What can be done?
I am just recently diagonosted and i am about to start theraphy and fiends only tell me
that i do not have to worry i have my meds for sure...but what about the rest of the world
pls  it is sad that we have lost the hope
the are two researcher who have the best results...Dr. Sudhir and Dr. Loyter..we have to do something in order that that research move faster
10 year ago many people will laught about talking the posibility of a cure...but no all of them waht i menat
even when people do not belive (10 year ago) trher were researche who still thok the cure is possible
Those profesorr have the results of the work of many years and we have to do somtehing .
Thera many works wry well aproved by FDA and are in clinical trials but serusly ther do not have the best results, they were not planed to resolve the problem so why to sped time and mony with poor results...
please I hope we can gather together and make history like social network have acomplished in other part of the world... we can do it
those results need to be
The benefits we have in our  life today  with ARV are because people took risks

We need to move cure-related research  forward as quickly as possible!!!

Offline tatosao24

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:55 pm »
Guys,

Did you know that Abzyme Research Foundation is raising money for taking this technology into human trials?

I'll leave the link for anyone who wants to learn more or donate. I helped with 30 bucks. It's not much but still it's a step closer. Every little bit helps. See what you can do. I think this one is a good one.

http://abzymeresearchfoundation.org/

Offline contagion

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:02 pm »
$51,340 DONATED OF $1,500,000 GOAL
There are too many 0s in that number  :-\
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline LM

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 08:36:08 pm »
I don't know much about it, but this thread was started 3 years ago, and after all this time they only gathered $50,000? Sounds fishy to me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.