Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 151
Total: 154

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A disability nightmare  (Read 7635 times)

Offline koderkev

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Messages from Krypton
A disability nightmare
« on: March 14, 2009, 06:18:21 pm »
First off, howdy to everyone!  I just registered, so I'm a noob.  ::)  Thought I would post my own story with disability, since it might be helpful for someone.

Lost my first husband in '91 to AIDS encephilopathy.  Suffered a bout of pneumonia shortly after that (I wasn't taking good care of myself in my grief) and in '93 filed for disability and was almost immediately approved (unlike some others I knew of that had an endless battle of appeals).

Met my second husband in late '95 and we decided to try the "work trial" period to try to get our real lives back.  This was shortly after Crixivan and other drugs were approved and we were doing very well medically.  I actually made it off disability but my other half didn't, he had problems holding a job and went back on disability. 

Some time after that, my own situation changed and I had an attack of pancreatitis and was having problems with low energy and depression.  I refiled for disability and was denied (thanks Mr. Bush).  I waited 3 years for an appeal and the judge (flown in from somewhere else because our local workload was so high) didn't spend much time on the hearing, seemed to not know that Nurse Practitioners were able to write prescriptions and were caring for HIV Poz folks, and found against me (6 months later I got the notice). 

My Legal Aid lawyer said he didn't respond to all the alleged illnesses, otherwise I would have qualified, so we are now filing another appeal.  This appeal is against his not following the rules, not my condition, so we will see where it goes.  But at this point I've been in limbo for 4 years and still counting.

Any ideas for coping would be appreciated.  I'm at my wits end.

kk

I distrust morning people largely because I suspect them of getting together one morning and setting up the rules of civilization while the rest of us slept.

Offline dgr20002

Re: A disability nightmare
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:34:55 pm »
I am curious to know how you get by at all after 4 years?

I have rent to pay and all the other things life throws at me and I have thought about a disability scenario, but if I were denied and had to wait 3 or more years for appeals I don't know where I would be since it's just me in the world with no family to rely on.

David

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 06:22:20 pm »
What ever you do don,t do what I did when got denied the first time an gave up. Then a few years later I found out I was NOT TO GIVE UP.I know it,s hard but your entitled to it.Yes is a nightmare but remember you have a lot of people who have your back even if we are in different towns.Never back down!!!Dwayn20 AKA (Scooter) ;)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:46:59 am »
but if I were denied and had to wait 3 or more years for appeals I don't know where I would be
quite a few people I know that have received disability (for various reasons, not just AIDS) have gone destitute during the up-to-3-yr process. Usually they have ended up in a single-room housing facility or such to stay off the streets.

Though it's nice to get that big first check after your approved (back-dated to the start of the application process) usually you're so far into debt most of your money is spent repaying friends and family for their help over the last few years and trying to get out of your miserable housing and into a place you can call your own.  ;)

that's how I got my housemate. ;) After 3 yrs filing and appealling, his disability was finally approved. After repaying his mom and brother, he had just enough to move in with me (i've been on SSd for several years) and out of a miserable, smelly, drug-riddled single-rooms public housing facility located on 4th street and aptly named "the Downtowner". Now he has a monthly income that pays his portion of the bills, lives with me and my doggies, receives his monthly meds, just got himself a kitten, and is sooo much happier after the last 3 miserable years of living at sub-sub-sub-poverty level.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:41:08 am »
Though it's nice to get that big first check after your approved (back-dated to the start of the application process) 

The idea that you get approved from the date of the application is not necessarily true.  The board at the disability determination office decides on the date they believe a person became disabled and that's not always the date of application.  Sometimes it's further back, sometimes not that far back.  It's all up to the determining board.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 10:26:22 am »
I know in my case it was determined I was disabled a few months before I started the application process -- although my situation was different from most people here since I got my disability from RRB and not SS.

I just want to say welcome to the forums kk.  I wish I had some good advice but I can do is hope that things get settle for you soon.  Good luck with your appeal.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:48:51 am »
Yes, this is a nightmare.  I don't have any concrete suggestions other than to repeat the above advice to stick it out and not give up.

My own little battle with Social Security began with going back to work part time - going through the Trial Work Period, figuring out that "working while disabled" was the best choice for me - and over-reporting my income, resulting in SSA discontinuing benefits.  Even after I understood the rules more clearly and corrected my reported income, it took several months for them to acknowledge that my benefits should not have been terminated, and six months after that decision (!) to get around to paying me.  Payment followed suspiciously close on the heels of me getting legal help.  Probably just a coincidence.

But you're already working with Legal Aid.

Good luck.  Don't take no for an answer.

lipoenvy

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:07:44 am »
resulting in SSA discontinuing benefits.  Even after I understood the rules more clearly and corrected my reported income, it took several months for them to acknowledge that my benefits should not have been terminated, and six months after that decision (!) to get around to paying me.
Four years AFTER I had quit working part-time and had been reporting my income, SS notified me that they had overpaid me for certain months as I had made too much. For three years now they have been retaining 1/3 of my monthly check to repay the overpayment. My three-yr period just ended this month and next month I will finally start receiving my full monthly check again.

It's going to be like heaven. With my cig smoking, I was living on $4k a year. With my full check amount and the money saved from not smoking (it's now Day 50 without a cig ;D), I'll be living on over double that at $9k this upcoming year. WooHoo!

I'm never going to try to work part-time again - I learned my lesson ;) The only difference in my life while working was that I was able to afford cable TV and the internet. For that little of a benefit I lived sub-sub poverty for 3 years and lost two cars and two homes due to my financial situation. It sure didn't help that my partner passed away in that same time period either. Thank god I didn't lose my medical benefits, cause without the meds I surely would have died.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline koderkev

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Messages from Krypton
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:37:11 am »
I am curious to know how you get by at all after 4 years?
I'm living with a family member who is basically supporting me.  My partner passed in July of last year, but prior to that we were living off of his disability.  I've been very lucky to have support like I have, I know some do not.

kk
I distrust morning people largely because I suspect them of getting together one morning and setting up the rules of civilization while the rest of us slept.

Offline Mokie143

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:54 pm »
Hello Everyone I am new here. :)  I have been poz for 28 years.  I lost my first partner in 1992, still seem like yesterday.  He was a great man and will always be with me.

I have been on disability since 1996.  There have been many time I have wanted to go back to work.  My doctor says if I do I will never get back om disability.  When I applied in 1996 I had no problem at all.  Now I hear it is very hard to get even if you are sick.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:27:51 pm »
Mokie, welcome to the forums.  I hope you participate more.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 07:21:03 am »
Mokie -- welcome!  Glad you found us.  Always nice to meet another long-term survivor as well.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.