Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:55:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 635
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Question  (Read 5704 times)

Offline stupidme5

Question
« on: June 28, 2008, 09:33:08 am »
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have a qestion.  I had a potential exposure way back at the very beginning of november, 2007.  I am a female and my potential exposure was brief unprotected vaginal.  There was no ejaculation, and the penetration lasted maybe one minute.  Nevertheless, I became worried about std's so I was tested for everything, including hiv.  I tested negative for hiv 3 times out to 6 months (my last test was on april 29, 2008).  I realize that I've tested negative past the window period, but I remain concerned because I have a persistant swollen cervical lymph node in my neck.  It's palpable...around 1 cm I think.  I found it in january when I was obviously looking for symptoms, but it could've been there longer than that.  Is my concern warranted?  Is there absolutely anyway at all that I could be a late seroconverter?  I'm moving on with another partner, and I just don't want to be irresponsible about this.  I want to be able to move on with 100% certainty.  Any and all opinions would be very appreciated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:02:41 am »
You are reliably HIV negative as long as you haven't had any risky incidents since your negative results. Testing at 13 weeks is sufficient. Going up to 6 months is not necessary with today's HIV tests.

As for your swollen lymph node, that's something to discuss with your doctor. And it's also something for you to not handle, squeeze, fondle or otherwise bother. They are very sensitive and you can create a problem where none may exist. Keep you hands off of it and talk to your doctor about your concern.

This is NOT an HIV situation.

And if you're having intercourse always make sure the guy is wearing a condom everytime. No exceptions. By doing that you don't have to worry about your partner's HIV status because you will be effectively protected.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline stupidme5

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:11:46 am »
Hi Andy,

I have not had any risky incidents since my negative results.  And I have to admit that I am guilty of fondling and bothering that lymph node probably FAR too much.  Maybe I have irritated it myself. 
So you definitely would not recommend any further testing?  I am in Canada, and I am a non drug using healthy individual, if that makes any difference.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 10:27:19 am »
You're HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Keep your hands off of your lymph node. Talk to your doctor.

This is definitely not an HIV situation and no testing is necessary. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline stupidme5

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 01:37:59 pm »
I discussed my enlarged lymph node with my doctor and he said that it is likely just a residually enlarged solitary node from some past infection.  He did, however, suggest that I test for hiv one more time, so I did.  This is now over 8 months from the potential exposure.  I found it sort of concerning that he suggested I test past six months.  Is he just being overly conservative?  I'll get the  results in a week or so.  Any thoughts??

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 04:26:32 pm »
Any suggestions or thoughts? Your doctor doesn't know anything about HIV testing.  3 months is conclusive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:50:20 pm »
Anything beyond three months testing for HIV is long outdated.  The only exceptions are situations which have involved intravenous drug use, organ transplants, cancer treatment and severely damaged immune systems. None of which apply to your situation. Given your worrying, I hasten to add that if you had a severely compromised immune system you'd know it because when that happens everything is falling apart.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline stupidme5

Also struggling to accept neg results
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:07:14 pm »
Hello all,

I've posted here before and I received great advice, and for that I am grateful. 

I'm female and about 9 months ago I had a brief insertive unprotected encounter (vaginal).  There was no ejaculation, but I realized that I put myself at risk so I had a full std panel.  It was all negative.  My first hiv test was at around 11 weeks.  My second test was at 20 weeks, and my third test was at 25 weeks.  I know this is considered conclusive.  The problem is, I have a single isolated enlarged lymph node in my neck under my jaw that just won't go away.  I haven't had any exposure risks since the initial incident.  I know that this lymph node must be enlarged due to some sort of mouth, lip, or tongue inflammation, but I just cant seem to stop worrying about hiv.  I've recently spoken with my doctor about this, and he recommended that I have a blood antibody test for hiv again, even though I've received a six month negative already.  I found this concerning.  He also said that sometimes lymph nodes remain enlarged due to scar tissue presence.  I honestly expected him to say that my six month negative was more than adequate.  I'm still waiting on the results from the most recent test, and this has me in a worried frenzy.  I've spoken to other hiv counselors and nurses, and they say that often times doctors are very behind the times with respect to all stds including hiv testing because they don't deal with it all that often.
I'm really not trying to be annoying or post excessively...I'm sincerely having trouble with this and I would appreciate any and all input. 
Thanks to all in advance.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Also struggling to accept neg results
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 06:14:19 pm »
Please keep all your additional thoughts, questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us to follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you can't find you original thread click on the red link I've provided above. Alternatively you can click on the "show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 06:26:27 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your entries in this same thread.

There's really nothing more to be said to you about HIV. You have more than reliably tested negative. You ARE HIV negative. Period. End of  story.

There's absolutely no reason to doubt the validity of your test results.

Your lymph node? Keep your hands off of it because you can create a bigger problem. You should be discussing this and any other symptoms with your doctor instead of putting your energy into doubting your test results.

Once again, this is NOT an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline stupidme5

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 06:28:17 pm »
Thanks Andy....sorry for not posting in my original thread....I didn't realize.  And thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.  Why do you think my doctor is being so conservative about this whole thing??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 06:31:58 pm »
stupid,

It's possible the doctor wants you to test again so that maybe the results will finally start to sink in. It's also possible your doctor just isn't up to date. Many aren't.

You are reliably and conclusively hiv negative.

Keep working with your doctor to find out what's going on with your lymph. Chances are your constant checking it is keeping it swollen. Hands off.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline stupidme5

Hello Again
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »
Hello,
I haven't posted here in awhile...I hope it's okay that I'm posting in the same thread. 
After having brief unprotected vaginal sex over one year ago, I had an 8 month antibody test for hiv 1/2 ordered by my doctor that came back negative.  I still have a mildly enlarged cervical lymph node directly under my chin...it just won't go away.  I showed my doc and he doesn't seem overly concerned about it.  I just can't shake the idea that there's even the slightest possiblility that I'm a late seroconverter.  Type 1 diabetes runs in my family...could this affect the tests? 
Even in people who seroconvert late (after the 3 month mark), wouldn't a test at 8 months definitely pick up the infection?  Is there any reason why I should test at one year? 
I'm not trying to post excessively...I'm just trying to learn more from people who know more than I...and I'm trying to settle my fears.
I've moved on with another partner...I told him about the potential exposure one year ago and told him about the tests and the results.  We haven't been using condoms because he's comfortable with my test results, and we know (via serology) that he's negative as well.  But I feel crushing guilt that I'm transmitting hiv to him in spite of my hiv negative result at 8 months.  Is this justified?
Please help me.  Thank you...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:57 pm »
You are HIV negative. Period. End of story. Whatever is going on symptomatically has nothing to do with HIV. It's something for you to discuss with your doctor(s). It's not HIV.

As far as having unprotected intercourse is concerned, that ought to happen only when both partners have reliably tested negative and have committed to a securely monogamous relationship. Unless that description fits you two, you should still be using condoms.

You don't have any reason to be concerned about passing on HIV at this point. You can't give something that you don't have.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline stupidme5

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:23:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply Andy.  My partner and I are both committed to a monogamous relationship...I just want to be 100% certain that there's no way I can give him anything. 
Just one question that I had asked that you didn't address in your previous answer...would an hiv test at 8 months post-exposure catch an hiv infection even in 'late seroconverters', or would they take longer than that?
Thanks again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 04:16:37 am »
You've already been advised in previous threads that you are negative. The answers are not going to change. Get on with your life.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 09:46:13 am »
In the ordinary course of things getting tested for a reliable result at 13 weeks is sufficient. The exceptions for testing at 6 months are those who have been longterm IV drug users or where treatment for cancer or an organ transplant is involved. Testing beyond that point is not needed.

As long as you and your partner always use condoms for intercourse there should not be any problem in terms of sexual risk for HIV. You need to let go of this issue and get on with your life as has already been suggested to you.   Period.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.