Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:04:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NEW BREAKTHROUGH IN HIV. THE END MAY BE NEAR  (Read 18807 times)

Offline Rjane

NEW BREAKTHROUGH IN HIV. THE END MAY BE NEAR
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:04:11 am »
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-aids4-2009sep04,0,7870223.story

Antibodies found that prevent HIV from causing severe AIDS

After nearly two decades of futile searching for a vaccine against the AIDS virus, researchers are reporting the tantalizing discovery of antibodies that can prevent the virus from multiplying in the body and producing severe disease.

They do not have a vaccine yet, but they may well have a road map toward the production of one.

A team based at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla reports today in the journal Science that they have isolated two so-called broadly neutralizing antibodies that can block the action of many strains of HIV, the virus responsible for AIDS.

Crucial to the discovery is the fact that the antibodies target a portion of HIV that researchers had not considered in their search for a vaccine. Moreover, the target is a relatively stable portion of the virus that does not participate in the extensive mutations that have made HIV able to escape from antiviral drugs and previous experimental vaccines.

"This is opening up a whole new area of science," said Dr. Seth F. Berkley, president and chief executive of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, which funded and coordinated the research.

At least 33 million people worldwide are infected with HIV, and at least 25 million have died from AIDS, according to the World Health Organization. Two large trials of experimental vaccines have failed -- the most recent, in 2007, because the vaccine apparently made people more susceptible to infection.

To find the neutralizing antibodies, researchers collected blood samples from more than 1,800 people in Thailand, Australia and Africa who had been infected with HIV for at least three years without the infection proceeding to severe disease. Such individuals are most likely to produce antibodies that interfere with the replication of the virus.

Researchers at Monogram Biosciences in South San Francisco studied the samples most resistant to infection, then a team from Theraclone Sciences in Seattle isolated the antibodies responsible for the resistance.

They ultimately isolated two antibodies, called PG9 and PG16, from one African patient. The antibodies were able to block the activity of about three-quarters of the 162 separate strains of HIV they tested it against.

Immunologist Dennis Burton of Scripps and his colleagues then showed that the antibodies bind to regions of two proteins on the surface of the virus, called gp120 and gp41, that help the virus invade cells. These regions had never before been considered as targets for vaccines.

Researchers still have a long way to go to produce a vaccine, however.

The antibodies themselves could potentially be used as a treatment for infected patients who develop severe disease.

But the long-term hope is to find molecules, either synthetic or natural, that can stimulate the body to produce the broadly neutralizing antibodies. Such molecules could potentially be the basis for a successful vaccine.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: NEW BREAKTHROUGH IN HIV. THE END MAY BE NEAR
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:17:07 pm »
I do think this is the most important "breakthrough" in HIV research in a very long time. It will still take years to fine tune it all and be able to get these antibodies into the human body (or get the immune system to produce them). But at least we know that these antibodies work in stopping HIV in humans because that's where they found them: in the blood of one elite controller in Africa.  

And this new efficient method which was used for finding these highly potent broadly-neutralizing antibodies means that it's very likely more will be found in the near future.

To avoid confusion: there's already a thread about this, "Breakthrough Research Finds Potent Broadly Neutralizing HIV Antibodies"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:00:43 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline xman

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 02:21:14 pm »
it's a sign that progress is made even if at baby steps. the discutible question remains how useful is this for us now.

Offline sdguyloveslife

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:03:21 pm »
the discutible question remains how useful is this for us now.

It may not be of any use for us now.  I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 39 (shhh, soon to be 40, but don't tell anyone  ;D), and I don't expect to see a "cure" that's going to benefit me at all in this lifetime.  I don't see that as pessimistic, but realistic, having spent a good part of my career in immunological (virology) research.  But, with my current regimen of HAART (and others available to me, should one of my treatment components fail), I fully expect to live out a normal lifespan. 

Think about it, though...wouldn't it be great to know that the next generation wouldn't have to face this disease any longer?  I, for one, would be absolutely thrilled to know that my son, or my brothers' kids, and (someday) their kids would be able to avoid/conquer this virus in the future. 
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:59:24 pm »
Nitpicking syntax point, but
what is "severe" AIDS
is there mild AIDS?
AIDS is AIDS
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Esquare

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:58:34 am »
Nitpicking syntax point, but
what is "severe" AIDS

I'll take it being called severe AIDS over the media calling it "full blown" AIDS anyday.  I'm so freakin sick of that tag.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 05:25:16 am »
I had full-blown severe temporary AIDS. For one month. 
Newsweek, contact me.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline xman

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 02:09:13 pm »
Think about it, though...wouldn't it be great to know that the next generation wouldn't have to face this disease any longer?  I, for one, would be absolutely thrilled to know that my son, or my brothers' kids, and (someday) their kids would be able to avoid/conquer this virus in the future. 

honestly i care about those who are now out of options and need desperately alternatives to continue with their lives. this news are indeed interesting but it's only fascinating for those interested in science and less for those affected by the disease. all this great and possible treatments are out of our reach and even if they perhaps would help future generations they're likely not designed to eradicate the virus.

the tragedy is that for years they told us that it is still long way to the cure. well it's like hearing politicians about the promise of tax reductions.

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 04:11:31 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( bua, bua,bua, x-man you is crying baby :'( :'( :'(

Offline leit

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:23:10 am »

x-man you is crying baby

No, he's perhaps the only pragmatist here.

Offline J220

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 01:45:30 am »
I suppose xman would have also poo-pooed the discoveries that ultimately led to harrt, that is keeping many of us alive and well...
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 01:49:55 am »
I suppose xman would have also poo-pooed the discoveries that ultimately led to harrt, that is keeping many of us alive and well...

no,we are alive and well because we are BIG business,not because Pharma loves me to death.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline J220

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 01:58:39 am »
Well I thank god I am big business, and the big pharma conspiracy wants to keep me alive....lol
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 02:05:00 am »
Well I thank god I am big business, and the big pharma conspiracy wants to keep me alive....lol

now you sound sensible.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline J220

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 02:20:02 am »
now you sound sensible.

Lol...well I was being facetious of course. Frankly I don't have a clear position on the issue of a big pharma conspiracy (not to highjack the thread). I can't discount the possibility of it existing, nor can I see clear proof of it. The truth probably lies between the two, knowing human nature.

My focus is on science...I am one of the resident optimists, and from a PRAGMATIC standpoint I presently owe my life to science, whether there is a socio-economic conspiracy behind it or not. Xman is within his prerogative to see the glass half empty....it's mine to see it half full.

Personally I think this discovery (to get back to the thread) is important, and I don't share his views that we will not see any kind of benefits from it in this lifetime. Yes, the wheels of science turn slowly.....but turn they do.

Now let's see if scientists can zero in on how to elicit the PG9 and PG16 ABs response. Onward!
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline leit

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 02:51:39 am »

Now let's see if scientists can zero in on how to elicit the PG9 and PG16 ABs response.

Please note that the DONOR HIMSELF "did not benefit appreciably from the antibodies [PG9 and PG16, that make him an 'elite neutralizer' - LOL]" (http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/325/5945/1195)!!!

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 03:25:01 am »
Please note that the DONOR HIMSELF "did not benefit appreciably from the antibodies [PG9 and PG16, that make him an 'elite neutralizer' - LOL]" (http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/325/5945/1195)!!!

Of course there's a lot more work to be done and it remains to be seen what the fruits of this new research will be but the discovery of PG9 and PG16 (sounds like a new rating for movies) is significant for the following reasons, nicely summed up by TAG:

1) It offers compelling validation of the Protocol G approach to seeking effective new antibodies, and suggests that many more are likely to be discovered. The work has been described as a “tour de force,” and that almost seems like an understatement.

2) The results indicate that although HIV’s envelope is notoriously mutable, there are conserved regions of the trimer that are susceptible to antibody attack.

3) The potency of neutralization suggests that if a vaccine could induce similar antibodies, they could be protective against HIV infection at concentrations known to be achievable with vaccination.

Regarding the limited benefit of these antibodies to the African man from whom they were extracted, just two of these potent broadly neutralizing antibodies (bNAbs) are likely no match for an established HIV infection, more than that might be needed. Although I'd be curious to know why Jon Cohen in Science would say that the man did "not benefit appreciably" from them since he's presumably an elite controller. One would think the bNAbs have had a role in that.

The goal of an effective vaccine would be to elicit a response of several potent bNAbs (probably three, as with ARVs). Using the same technology used for finding PG9 and PG16, more potent bNAbs will likely be found in the near future. As Wayne Koff, who heads research and development at IAVI was quoted as saying, "The machine is built and ready to crank out a lot more—and it's very likely to,"

LINK:

http://tagbasicscienceproject.typepad.com/

Edited for grammar/punctuation.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:26:00 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline xman

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 11:29:58 am »
I don't share his views that we will not see any kind of benefits from it in this lifetime.

i never said we will not see results in our lifetime but as the researcher himself claimed we need 15 years for having something concrete to use. this is a long time and with all the respect to half empty or half full points of view many many infected people will not benefit from this if it will prove effective. so i sincerely don't feel all this excitement.

Offline leit

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 06:55:38 pm »

Although I'd be curious to know why Jon Cohen in Science would say that the man did "not benefit appreciably" from them since he's presumably an elite controller.

"Presumably"??? And who does "presume" that??? You and "THE veritas"? ROTFL!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:01:10 pm by leit »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 07:33:33 pm »

Looks as if you must end every one of your pointless, negative, rubbishy entries with an "LOL", "ROTFLMAO" or some variation of this juvenile way of writing.   As Jan told you in another thread, if you have nothing to say about the original topic why don't you just stay out of it?  For sure you are not contributing anything other than attacks on other members.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 07:35:03 pm »
Although I'd be curious to know why Jon Cohen in Science would say that the man did "not benefit appreciably" from them since he's presumably an elite controller. One

Did you miss the name mentioned Leit or were you just being stupid again.?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 01:14:11 am »

LOL...You also presume it since that's what you wrote. :)

Offline leit

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 03:05:48 am »

LOL...You also presume it since that's what you wrote. :)

An "elite neutralizer", provided that one can find a clinical meaning of this brand new definition, has nothing to do with the "elite controller" you "presumed" (please see Cohen's editorial: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22113.msg354744#msg354744).

Offline mecch

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 04:51:01 am »
The end of this thread is certainly near!

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 11:52:49 am »
I so do get a kick out of the douchebag brothers, xman and leit.  They're the best inverse indicators I know!

ROTFLMAOAXAL
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 12:03:57 pm »
An "elite neutralizer", provided that one can find a clinical meaning of this brand new definition, has nothing to do with the "elite controller" you "presumed" (please see Cohen's editorial: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22113.msg354744#msg354744).

I couldn't find anything referring to "elite neutralizers" in Cohen's editorial (did I miss something?), which is why the term was confusing.

I found this from IAVI about how "elite neutralizer" is defined:

This study identified some HIV-infected individuals, referred to as “elite neutralizers,” whose sera have broadly neutralizing activity (J. Virol. 83, 7337, 2009). The study’s authors define an elite neutralizer as having neutralizing antibody activity against more than one pseudovirus in a panel of five—representing clades A, B, and C and one circulating recombinant form referred to as CRF01_AE—with a 50% inhibitory concentration neutralization titer of at least 300 within a single clade, as well as across at least four clades. Out of approximately 1,800 individuals screened in this study, 1% of them were classified as elite neutralizers.

I hope more specific information about this particular African man is reported, i.e. what has been the progression of his disease or lack thereof. Why would these potent bNAbs not be providing appreciable benefit, if in fact they haven't been? I think the reason is likely to be that more than two potent bNAbs are needed.

What was the exact criteria for participants in Protocol G?  One report said: "the group collected blood samples from 1,800 people who had been infected with HIV for at least three years without developing symptoms." But that seems too vague.

LINK:

http://www.iavireport.org/archives/2009/Pages/IAVI-Report-13(3)-Research-Briefs.aspx

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=akGVjigUJynU

Leit: I was reading some of your previous posts and as a rule you have a lot of good ideas/comments. Why do you sometimes have to get so rude and personally offensive? It's so unpleasant for me (and maybe for others) to open one of these threads and see that you've added a comment, knowing that it's likely to be something bitchy and mean-spirited. Having HIV can add a challenging level of stress to one's life, these forums should be a place where those of us with HIV can share ideas and opinions and support each other not a place to belittle and insult others. Nothing at all wrong with disagreeing with someone but no need to get nasty about it. Come on, play nice.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:57:03 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline veritas

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 01:09:20 pm »

Inch,

I believe what Cohen meant (and of course I don't know exactly), is that even with the PG9 and PG16 antibodies, this elite controller did not benefit "appreciably" from other elite controllers without those antibodies.  I think you are correct when you stated that more then two bNABS are needed due to the positioning of PG antibodies' target on the virus. See:

Click on GRAPHIC at the top of the story.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 01:30:11 pm »
Inch,

I believe what Cohen meant (and of course I don't know exactly), is that even with the PG9 and PG16 antibodies, this elite controller did not benefit "appreciably" from other elite controllers without those antibodies.  I think you are correct when you stated that more then two bNABS are needed due to the positioning of PG antibodies' target on the virus. See:

Click on GRAPHIC at the top of the story.

v

Those are good points.

And I had missed the GRAPHIC tab when I first read that in Bloomberg.

Since Cohen's statement is so vague, I'd actually like to email him and ask him if he could elaborate, if I can find an email address for him.

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 02:44:30 pm »
 ;D  I'm happy with you

Inch.

jcohen@aaas.org

www.aaas.org/ScienceTalk/cohen.shtml ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:48:13 pm by brazilianman »

Offline leit

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 02:49:51 pm »

I so do get a kick out of the douchebag brothers, xman and leit.  They're the best inverse indicators I know!

There's no trace of "racism" in your definition. So what can I "correctly" say? Thank you!!!

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 02:55:44 pm »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.