Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 354
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: BED BUG QUESTION PLEASE!  (Read 7013 times)

Offline pointer165

• I like this tribal avatar
BED BUG QUESTION PLEASE!
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:39 pm »
I live in a huge building, with 200 apartments and we have had bedbugs in the past but never this close to me.It is now 3 apartments away. In NYC, that's not much room, when these critters can travel 20 feet in one night to feed and back to their home or wherever. I have asked my GP,looked forever online, today I asked my oncologist and he said that it is a possibility. IF these bugs get in my apartment, feed off me(if you do not know bedbugs, they are insidious...takes almost 3 years to get rid of them)...so if they feed off of me,take my POZ blood, does anyone know if they are then contagion or contagious?...This fact alone, is very important to me cause if my bug goes to the next apartment and they squeeze it, MY blood will come out.The oncologist, who I TRUST implicitly, said there is a possibility but there have been no studies on this.
Guamanian

Offline emeraldize

Re: BED BUG QUESTION PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:53 pm »

Offline pointer165

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:41:47 am »
Thank you so much! That article says no reason to worry..Thanks again

whew!

Cheers...
Tony(NYC)
Guamanian

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »
You're most welcome.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:36:07 pm »
This is one bug I hope I go through life without!  I've never seen one and don't need to. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:52:37 pm »
I saw a piece on TV recently that was quite interesting---there's a guy who trains dogs to sniff out bed bugs. Very popular purchase among exterminator firms these days with infestations on the rise.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:27:51 am »
Back in the 90's Bill was required to work on the advisory Panel to acquire a hospital in Philly.  It was intended we'd drive a lot but soon figured it was better if he got a cheap apartment there.  LMH was paying for it and I was so excited because a $1200 dollar a month apartment to a country boy sounded like a penthouse.  We were going to attempt to have that place for the entire 6 months until I finally arrived at 6:00 am and there were roaches everywhere.  He said that is common in big cities.....I say fuck that......get me back to the country.   I never stayed one night there and I made him pay for a suite. 

That's not pretentious, just someone grossed out by those varments.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline pointer165

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:20:19 am »
I saw a piece on TV recently that was quite interesting---there's a guy who trains dogs to sniff out bed bugs. Very popular purchase among exterminator firms these days with infestations on the rise.

Yes we have ONE dog from this company but I would have to pay 50bucks...and will to have him show up
Guamanian

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:24 am »
I think if I were living in your building, knowing how nearby the bedbugs are, I'd spring for an canine-style inspection early rather than react to first bites or blood spot sites.  Did anyone give you any sort of prevention advice? That's what I'd like to learn from an exterminator.

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »
I hear you can kill the bed bugs in clothes, mattress, etc as long as you can stuff everything inside a good plastic bag and add as much dry ice as you can.

Let the dry ice evaporate to vapor carbon dioxide

Leave it sealed until everything is dead.
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline pointer165

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 01:08:22 am »
I hear you can kill the bed bugs in clothes, mattress, etc as long as you can stuff everything inside a good plastic bag and add as much dry ice as you can.

Let the dry ice evaporate to vapor carbon dioxide

Leave it sealed until everything is dead.
I have read so many remedies, in so many articles but the one above from University of Kentucky is the best, so far...I really thought I had one...but there is not one thing but TIME...and you seal everything off...and after about three years of your life, I guess the plastic can come off but me , living in New York City, THIS entire bedbug situation is not going to get better and one reason, as my building does, is the secrecy that surrounds this critter! No one will say a word , it's all by telephone from neighbors ,that we put the story together.. I live on the 3rd floor, it has hit the second floor and the sixth floor which is really two apartments attached, imagine THAT nightmare!..but this building, has yet to give any notice and they won't, this must be made into some kind of law..it's three apartments away and already I've taken everything off the floors cause they love clutter..I just have to say..Nature and I , usually have a great relationship...this is from when I took care of my parent's yard cause I wanted to..and that led to me loving Nature as a whole but this is the down side of nature AND man.

Cheers,,
Tony(NYC)
Guamanian

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:42:22 pm »
I understand your concerns after only one night in a hotel on the Turkish / Syrian border We Ali awoke , scratching and bleeding and checking Hotel rooms with a lot more care afterwards.

The Bed Bugs in NY has reached the press in the UK, and I had assumed that it would be treated as any public health issue should be. Campaigns Info help with extermination costs etc, the biggest obstacle to any public Health campaign is secrecy.

If hotels get infected and tourists return scratching/bleeding the press will have a field day, I am so sorry your city does not seem to be getting to grips with this.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 01:09:15 pm »
Just heard they are in the town in Switzerland where I teach.  Though they will only admit its in poor neighborhoods.  Hehe, just like in NY.  

By now i thought it was common knowledge that the bed bugs were all over the zip codes in big American cities, and in 5* hotels.

This will drive the Swiss nuts - they hate anything dirty except dirty money which they then clean thoroughly, of course.  

One time a roommate brought crabs home to NYC from Paris.  So easy to be rid of, in comparison to bed bugs. But then I went to Paris for the summer and he came to visit and I swear he brought them back to Paris with him, to a different apartment.  

Another time I smeared misdiagnosed scabies everywhere for 3 months.  Horrible.  

Just goes to show how these things get around all over the world, just like any other scourge!  8)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:11:11 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 02:16:14 pm »
Switzerland and bed bugs the comedy hit off the year.

Bet its those dirty roubles.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline pointer165

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 02:55:32 am »
I AM telling you...3 doors down, I KNOW this lawyer woman has BEDBUGS and I was emptying my garbage at 1AM and saw an OPEN HUGE BLACK GARBAGE BAG outside her door...so me, I am a helping person,I THOUGHT??...so I left a note on her door , not to leave an open bag..that to me is TOXIC MATERIAL! well tonight ,she knocks on my door and starts to "get up in my face" well my Mom's name was Rose(she's in Heaven, I THOUGHT!)...well Rose came out OF no where!! and I just LOST IT..I do NOT LIKE STUPID PEOPLE!...my neighbor was visiting cause we were celebrating our tenth anniversary of meeting on Gay Pride Weekend in NYC..she's a beautiful straight woman but we are "cosmic soulmates".. SHE had to HOLD ME BACK from getting on top of her and doing some damage!..so the bedbug woman was all concerned that her neighbors knew..WELL THEY ALREADY KNOW! HELLO!... she's saying she did not leave that bag and I have TWO other witnesses , that the bag was left out there for 24 hours..well, she says she was not here...I slammed the door in her face...don't F**K with ROSE! tomorrow I call the Dept of Health and see what they have to say...REMEMBER SHE'S A LICENSED LAWYER IN NYS..sorry for the state of THIS country!

Cheers..
Tony(NYC)
Guamanian

Offline pointer165

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 03:12:18 am »
I understand your concerns after only one night in a hotel on the Turkish / Syrian border We Ali awoke , scratching and bleeding and checking Hotel rooms with a lot more care afterwards.

The Bed Bugs in NY has reached the press in the UK, and I had assumed that it would be treated as any public health issue should be. Campaigns Info help with extermination costs etc, the biggest obstacle to any public Health campaign is secrecy.

If hotels get infected and tourists return scratching/bleeding the press will have a field day, I am so sorry your city does not seem to be getting to grips with this.
t

I know tourists are a huge mainstay in my city....BUT you have to know what is happening where we LIVE!..if NYC does not care about where we live and take care of each incident, it just gets bigger. These bugs, are the worse things I have ever encountered in Nature...and I am a Nature lover...and I mean PLANTS AND FLOWERS ETC. If I were visiting NYC, you'd BETTER believe, I pull back all the linens on that mattress and do a bed check and also do a check online!..that is the most current but the reviews of all hotels, you must not believe all of them..I would say if there are 2-3 reviews of bedbugs, than that hotel is NO GO..cause I have seen some really cruel people go online and say the hotel where they stayed had bedbugs and the hotel came on to comment that that reviewer was thrown out or something...so you have to check around

Cheers..and have a great stay in this GREAT city!..and get off the "TOURIST MAP and do your own thing!"

Tony(NYC)
Guamanian

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.