Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

UD Pozzies can NOT transmit HIV : Is it time to drop the Biohazards for something more proactive ?

Yes, time to drop biohazards signs and come with a new sign for UD-Ps
8 (32%)
No, we are not sure yet
6 (24%)
No, they are wild and sexy
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: POLL: Time to drop Biohazards Symbols  (Read 18710 times)

Offline pittman

Re: POLL: Time to drop Biohazards Symbols
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:54 pm »
Miss P owns about a dozen designer swimsuits in very small cuts, which she flaunted for years from East Hampton, to Miami and on to San Juan -- and a dash of Cap d'Antibes . However, I packed them away once I turned 35 along with all of my tank tops. One must be age appropriate.

* pictures available upon request

ha! Being inappropriate was a hallmark of youth to begin with. 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2014, 08:27:35 am »

They have a biohazard  sticker on the needle box at my local blood draw center.  It pisses me off because I still haven't worked up the nerve to play Jeff's game of, "stick your hand in there and swirl it around a bit".
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:05 am »

They have a biohazard  sticker on the needle box at my local blood draw center.  It pisses me off because I still haven't worked up the nerve to play Jeff's game of, "stick your hand in there and swirl it around a bit".

Its a new version of Pokemon .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 08:51:21 am »
Just get HIV+ tattooed on yer arse, as conservative pundit William F. Buckley scandalously proposed a thousand years ago.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 09:46:46 am »
Back in our day, we didn't need tats to identify as being poz.  Grown ass men weighing 90lbs and walking with canes pretty much outed us.   ;)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2014, 09:49:23 pm »
I met an early 20s cutie the other day with a biohazard symbol and because of age and this era in the HIV epidemic, I thought it was interesting he got one and my feelings on seeing it were different and new.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline zach

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2014, 10:54:22 pm »
Back in our day, we didn't need tats to identify as being poz.  Grown ass men weighing 90lbs and walking with canes pretty much outed us.   ;)

hey!  ;)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2014, 01:13:23 pm »
Ugh.  I hate this thread.  It's even worse than I imagined.  No offense meant to anyone in particular, but I find the whole original premise of it to be ick.

It smacks of that same sort of talk from folks who sound desperate to replace "AIDS" with "Advanced HIV Disease" and all that.  I also don't like the notion of coming up with some new and improved label to slap on those who are "healthy" vs. those who are not.  Cuz guess what?  We're all just an issue away from moving into the other column in one way or another, and even if I'm currently doing fine I would rather align myself with those who aren't in the first place.  They are the ones who need it.  The beautiful people need no help remaining beautiful.

Just - I'm sorry, but just what the hell is the point of all this?  Of all the things HIV/AIDS related to pick up the banner for, this is the crusade??

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »
Ugh.  I hate this thread.  It's even worse than I imagined.  No offense meant to anyone in particular, but I find the whole original premise of it to be ick.

It smacks of that same sort of talk from folks who sound desperate to replace "AIDS" with "Advanced HIV Disease" and all that.  I also don't like the notion of coming up with some new and improved label to slap on those who are "healthy" vs. those who are not.  Cuz guess what?  We're all just an issue away from moving into the other column in one way or another, and even if I'm currently doing fine I would rather align myself with those who aren't in the first place.  They are the ones who need it.  The beautiful people need no help remaining beautiful.

Just - I'm sorry, but just what the hell is the point of all this?  Of all the things HIV/AIDS related to pick up the banner for, this is the crusade??

Thanks Tim ... I could not agree more .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2014, 05:53:21 pm »
The beautiful people need no help remaining beautiful.

Kiehl's is expensive!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2014, 04:27:20 am »
this endless AIDS phobia makes its hard not to feel like damaged goods

Of course there is nothing wrong about tatoos on one's buttocks.
Of course, burying a discussion with irrelevant comments will always work

So what about a politically correct poll ?: time to drop ... elephant bells ... ?

Biohazards, used in avatars (Twitter, etc.) are for every one to see and convey a message

Is the message they carry, in public domain, still appropriate ?
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline vertigo

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2014, 05:36:04 am »
I don't hate the thread, although I can understand how some will take offense.

Personally I admire guys with the biohazard tattoo.  I think it's sexy and I like their willingness to be open.  But I wouldn't have one myself.  Then again I'm old enough to have seen a lot of tattoo fads (bicep barbed wire, tribal, yin/yang, etc) and never been tempted, so I guess they're just not for me.

The real question is one of stigma.  I suppose you can make the case that someone with a non-infectious condition (assuming UD) needn't sport a biohazard sign, but HIV doesn't exist in the same socio-medical realm as diabetes, and isn't likely to anytime soon.  So I find it hard to accept that having a tattoo adds to the stigma, if that's the point here.  To the contrary, being open about status is probably the best antidote to stigma that's available.

Offline mecch

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2014, 05:51:43 am »

So what about a politically correct poll ?: time to drop ... elephant bells ... ?

Biohazards, used in avatars (Twitter, etc.) are for every one to see and convey a message

You didn't put this option in your poll:

"I vote that people can choose whatever symbol they want as one identifier. I think that a symbol like biohazard changes meaning over time, and always has several significations anyway, depending on who is using it, and who is seeing it." 

But that would have destroyed the bias built into your poll. I get that you are frustrated that the world, the general public, has a hard time understanding the contradictory meanings of an HIV diagnosis and infection.  But why police HIV+ people about how they choose to deal at the social level (such as a visible biohazard symbol), with their own infection?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:54:28 am by mecch »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2014, 11:52:51 am »

YOU ASKED FOR OPINIONS - -now you are deeming any that go against your preconceived outcome, as "irrelevant comments". 

Here is a thought -- perhaps just like gays taking the word "queer" as their own to diminish its use as an invective, taking on the biohazard symbol gives some folks a sense of power over other's preconceived notions.

However -- whatever someone's reason - it's theirs and your interp of their motives are not a basis to "vote on their choice". 
Stigma is fought best by many strategies and many fronts.  Perhaps you should focus your energies on what YOU CAN DO, vs. what others can do.  You don't like the Biohazard sign, don't use it.

Mike

Offline zach

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2014, 12:07:21 pm »
you're just tempting me to show off my tattooed ass

Offline wolfter

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2014, 05:13:34 am »
Symbols of solidarity have assisted the gay culture in eliminating stigma for some time now.  Is it also time to drop the rainbow flag? 

It's unfortunate that the OP dismisses comments as irrelevant.  A true discussion allows for open and honest communication regardless of the content. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.