Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:40:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 337
Total: 337

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: advice for a newly diagnosed person on nutrition &supplements  (Read 9523 times)

Offline mw2006

advice for a newly diagnosed person on nutrition &supplements
« on: September 27, 2006, 11:45:04 am »

hi all

having just  got a confirmed diagnosis and now being nearly 2 months post infection (still awaiting first cd4 and viral load levels) i have been trying to boost my nutrition and looked into 'natural remedies'

i came across a list of many things on this site :

:http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/23/102.cfm

I am not trying to take the quack cure road but want to make sure that my nutrition puts me in the best position to naturally fight off the disease, until i choose/need to go on meds.

My diet mainly consists of lots of chicken, i try to eat fish fairly regularly too like salmon, pasta, oatmeal with half-fat milk every morning, olive oil, plenty of water, juices , plenty of fruit and a fair amount of vegs especially spinach.  to a large extent, this diet is not much different to my one prior infection.

i have made some new changes though-  i have decided to quit alcohol entirely, i eat 4-5 brazil nuts a day for selenium, i now regularly drink green tea each day, and have just bought acai. i also have been on siberian ginseng for about a week at a dose of 2 x 500 mg capsules taken at each of my 3 meals. it is described as an adoptogen- allowing your system to adopt more effectively to a new infection. i dont know it is doing anything, but i want to give it a go. has anyone had any sucess with it? ( i do know that long term use is not recommended due to sid eeffects like increased blood pressure).

i will consult my doctor but am keen to try all the supplements described on that site above. licorice, tumeric and liopic acid look interesting to me ( the latter is said to protect your brain's cognitive functions- an important concern for us all) .

do you think the quantity of selenium i am getting from the brazil nuts is sufficent not to warrant taking a supplement? ( i do not want to overdose) . also i have not chosen to take a general vitamin and supplement because i feel that my diet is probably covering things for me. but any thoughts to the contrary would be appreciated.

thanks to everyone on this site. i'm still trying to understand this situation but i know for sure that my diet is something that i can have charge over.

mark

Offline Jacques

Re: advice for a newly diagnosed person on nutrition &supplements
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:02:08 am »
Hi Mark,

You certainly did a good choice by focusing on a  diet based on healthy foods. But don't overdo it, go easy with supplements and avoid stress. Being continuously anxious about your nutritional balance becomes stressing after a while and this is not good for your immune system. A good diet, like the one you already have, will provide you all the nutriments you need.  Keep your meals diversified rather than focussing only on foods that contain a specific nutriment. For example: 3 or 4 Brazil nuts a day  is 5 times the quantity of selenium required, and this does not include the selenium you got from other sources.

Concerning natural remedies, use them cautiously as those are more than often profitable to vendors than to users. And finally a glass of red wine a day(French wine of course  ;) is one of the best remedy I know.

Good luck with your coming first lab test, keep us informed of the results.

Jacques
Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 01:12:42 pm »
Being just two months post infection, you may want to do some research on substances that can suppress your immune system.  You may want to read up on articles that suggest that a highly activated immune system early on in the infection is not a good thing and contributes to rapid CD4 loss.  Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up these articles for you, but a simple google search will yield many hits.  Also sites like hivandhepatitis.com, natap.org, aidsmap.com, medscape.com, body.com, and this site all have a plethora of published HIV studies.

As far as supplements, look at TheBody.com where Vergel publishes his supplement regimen.  I take a huge quantity of supplements and they don't seem to interact with my meds because I've been undetectable for 3.5 years on meds.  You might also want to look into anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen. 

On the other hand though, if you don't have the $$$ to spare, it's questionable how much benefit you really get from taking all this stuff.  As it's been said, you may be just making expensive pee.  I have the $$$ and it seems to be doing no harm (I don't overload on the doses), so I figure I have only possible benefits to gain... maybe a naive assumption, but that's what I believe.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
For Mark: "advice for a newly diagnosed person on nutrition & supplements"
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:11:18 am »
Mark: Since we agree there is such a thing as the "quack" route... :o Remember you need to metabolize all the protein, vitamins, fats, carbs, and minerals you consume (from food and supplements). You asked if anyone disagrees  >:( about not taking a multivitamin, I DO! you actually use the conservative argument of the older medical community that "if you eat right you won't need to take vitamins."  But you're coming from the opposite end of the spectrum.  ;)

Vitamins and minerals work in concert. Why not give your body a chance to grab what it needs now? Maybe Omega-3 oils are stored and used gradually, but certainly Vitamin C is not. A multivitamin, including an inferior one, allows your body a chance to grab whatever it's short on that day or week. The rest is peed out. Multivitamins are the most important "supplement" you could take---the quotes refer to the fact that we all consume vitamins daily in food.

None of this is a substitute for hard exercise (hard for you), which is an important component affecting your overall metabolism. Folks sometimes like taking things so they don't have to make any effort beyond reaching for the charge card. A good ride on a bike daily would probably do us all a world of good (making it home in one piece stimulates the brain). Good Luck! -megasept (definitely not "newly-diagnosed")  8)

PS If your new anti-alcohol regimen includes no more (French) red wines you will break Jacque's heart!  :(

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:13:41 am by megasept »

Offline mark06

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 03:25:12 pm »
hi there, and thanks for the responses , they got me thinking ! (i'm the same poster btw- just going by this name now)

i have now decided to take a number of separate nutrients that HIVers tend to lack, as well as continuing with my healthy diet . i've been influenced by the lesson pages on here and also what i have read at www.landlarks.net. The study done at Berkely that you can find on these pages was particularly interesting.

i'm not a science buff, but it just seems naturally intuitive to me that if you are at war 24/7 with this virus, and nutrients are essential ammunition in that war, then you surely would require more than the RDA - ie the minimum requirement for a HIV negative person that is not under this same burdon. 

i'm a young guy (20) and want to prolong the time that i dont need to go on meds  as much as possible (cos  all other things being equal, once started i would be on them for a long time in light of my young age).  i hope that this strategy will make a contribution to this aim.

Personally, i think a lot more research should be put into this area of the benefits nutrients provide in this fight. And furthermore, if and when the conservative medical community become satisfied with the benefits of supplementation i think governments should help subsidise it. A uni of miami study found that nutrient deficency, depending on particular nutrient, ranged in HIVers from 6-25 times the RDA. If these findings become more established by continued studies then to achieve this nutrient level via supplements would be very expensive to the consumer...But... for a government to subsidise these nutrients- well that could be cheap. By cheap i am considering that that if these nutrients a)prolong time before one needs to go on much more expensive HIV antivirals and b) protect health in general,  for instance regarding cancer , then a health system , could over the long term experience a net reduction in costs regarding HIV infected individuals. By the way i am thinking of the free health service model of the UK when making these points.

be well, my friends, be STRONGER  than the virus

music is my aeroplane
it saves me everyday

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:16:52 am »
i have made some new changes though-  i have decided to quit alcohol entirely, i eat 4-5 brazil nuts a day for selenium, i now regularly drink green tea each day, and have just bought acai. i also have been on siberian ginseng for about a week at a dose of 2 x 500 mg capsules taken at each of my 3 meals. it is described as an adoptogen- allowing your system to adopt more effectively

Hi Mark. SO glad to hear you have given up alcohol. Click here to read an earlier thread which might help remind you that alcohol is clearly not the best thing for us poz folks  Also good to hear you drink green tea. People underestimate its power because it looks like some innocuous clear green gentle liquid - but, as the saying goes, "still waters run deep" ... Another good adaptogen is american ginseng which supposedly has more adaptogenic properties when compared to siberian or korean

Ciao,
A

Offline Christine

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 12:49:23 pm »
Hi Mark,
Another option you might look into is to see if there is a Practitioner of TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) in your area. I see a acupuncturist who also has a degree in TCM in herbology and nutrition.

TCM perspective on nutrition is very internesting, and has a different view than conventional medicine.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.