Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:31:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 277
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 278
Total: 278

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gays Gettin' Hitched: Why or Why Not?  (Read 22896 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Gays Gettin' Hitched: Why or Why Not?
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 01:33:47 pm »
I was completely unaware there was such a dearth of children in the U.S.  Wow.  

I absolutely refuse to believe that the abolishment of marriage would bring about the destruction of mankind.  That sounds just like that thing right-wingers always say about us cocksuckers:  If people are allowed to hiney-poke and weenie touch unrestrained, the human race will cease to exist!

Malarkey.

Why?  Because people like to fuck...and enough people would still do so to keep the population afloat with our without a piece of paper from city hall.  And the same goes for unrestrained buttsex.  We queens still represent a fraction of the population at large, and there are more than enough guys wantin' to tap some hot gal to keep us in babies for ages to come.

That, my friends, is the power of pussy.

Jack, surely this is more irony from you?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2007, 01:36:15 pm »
I am pretty sure much of US birth rate increase is due to immigrants,legal and illegal, and as I stated that is what is saving the US according to the study I read.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2007, 01:40:40 pm »
gays should stick to PLANNING weddings instead of HAVING weddings

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2007, 01:42:45 pm »
I am pretty sure much of US birth rate increase is due to immigrants,legal and illegal, and as I stated that is what is saving the US according to the study I read.

That is what is saving the US ??  Last time I heard, I thought the right-hand cry was that was what was destroying the US.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jack

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2007, 01:43:21 pm »
Good idea, lets abolish marriage. Traditional male/female marriage is the basis of our society. You dont think abolishing marriage would damage our society?  Without marriage,you would not have families. You are kidding,right?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2007, 01:43:51 pm »
I was completely unaware there was such a dearth of children in the U.S.  Wow.  

Uh, there isn't.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2007, 01:45:53 pm »
divorce should be punishable by death

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2007, 01:49:25 pm »
Jack, I often hear that "marriage is the foundation of our society," and it tends to be expressed as a tautology.

How is it the foundation of our society? 

Yes, yes... reproduction... but people can reproduce without marriage.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2007, 01:53:46 pm »
Jack, I often hear that "marriage is the foundation of our society," and it tends to be expressed as a tautology.

How is it the foundation of our society? 

Yes, yes... reproduction... but people can reproduce without marriage.

Yes, and are you saying that if I currently find myself in a long-term loving relationship with another guy, I don't have a valid claim to thinking of that as my "family"?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jack

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2007, 01:54:12 pm »
apparently you haven't been married, many may choose death over no chance of divorce.
What I meant earlier by lack of children is American families of US origin are having less children, but immigrants legal and illegal are making up much of the growth. You just dont see many families having more than two or three children since mid 80s, its just too fucking expensive. Unless you have raised children you have no idea what it costs and the sacrifices you make everyday. I am not saying everyone needs to do it or its for everyone, but just that its a 24/7 job that never,ever ends.
 If you see someone with 5 kids today they are the freaks of the neighborhood and oddity.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2007, 01:54:51 pm »
divorce should be punishable by death

And if gay marriage is allowed, will any of my anal babies qualify me for benefits??

EDITED:  I did have a committment ceremony before, and made a good go of it for about 5 years.  I would still say that I was a part of a family at that time. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:56:46 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2007, 01:56:11 pm »

Yes, and are you saying that if I currently find myself in a long-term loving relationship with another guy, I don't have a valid claim to thinking of that as my "family"?

not according to god and newt gingrich young lady...well maybe in a manson family kind of way

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 01:57:42 pm »

And if gay marriage is allowed, will any of my anal babies qualify me for benefits??

EDITED:  I did have a committment ceremony before, and made a good go of it for about 5 years.  I would still say that I was a part of a family at that time. 

oh you already got the benefits of your anal babies ;)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2007, 01:58:53 pm »

not according to god and newt gingrich young lady...well maybe in a manson family kind of way

BWAH HA HA!  Newt Gingrich!  On wife number what?  Three?  Four?  Probably banging around on that one as well.  That seems to be his MO so far.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2007, 02:03:08 pm »
Let the record show I'm not for getting rid of marriage. I think heterosexual marriage makes many people very happy and helps provide a stable environment for children. Just because it doesn't always last until death doesn't mean marriage doesn't work. I think gays and lesbians have different kinds of relationships with different needs.

Offline jack

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2007, 02:03:49 pm »
Without marriage,you wouldn't have families. Without families you have no society. Without families you have no history. I dont see how you can doubt that.
 I came to acceptance of gay marriage as a matter simple fairness and being against it is simply discrimination and that is illegal. But the last few posts are exactly what the far right radicals have been saying,there are many who support gay marriage as some kind of trojan horse to destroy the institution of traditional marriage and the families those marriages produce. I never believed this to be true,but it seems that is what some are saying

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2007, 02:07:06 pm »
Without marriage,you wouldn't have families. Without families you have no society. Without families you have no history. I dont see how you can doubt that.
 I came to acceptance of gay marriage as a matter simple fairness and being against it is simply discrimination and that is illegal. But the last few posts are exactly what the far right radicals have been saying,there are many who support gay marriage as some kind of trojan horse to destroy the institution of traditional marriage and the families those marriages produce. I never believed this to be true,but it seems that is what some are saying

So... a single, unwed mother with two kids.

Is that a family? 

Or is a divorced father raising a child a family?

Or a man and a woman who choose to live together but are not married and who have children... are they a family?

I still fail to see where marriage is a necessary ingredient in having a family.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2007, 02:09:08 pm »
   Look a little more closely at marriage, and a few things come to light. The first is that no matter what the right wing says, marriage in the US is a government thing, not religious. If you get married without filing the proper paperwork, fees, etc, you "marriage" will not be recognized by any local, state. or federal government organization. Period.
   The second thing that the Christian Right never stops to think about, or more appropriately, doesn't want you to think about, is this: Marriage has an abysmal failure rate. Over 50% of all marriages end in divorce, and out of the ones that stay together, how many are actually a good and productive union, how many are happy marriages? Does 50% sound reasonable? If half of the marriages that stay together are unhappy, then that would give the institution of marriage a stunning failure rate of 75% What, exactly are these assholes "protecting"? No one has ever come up with a coherent argument that can demonstrate exactly HOW gay marriage jeopardizes heterosexual marriage. I Have yet to see divorce papers show that the cause of divorce was because two lesbians down the street got married. The only thing that can threaten a marriage is the behavior of the two people in it. It really is as simple as that.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2007, 02:18:01 pm »
Capt. Carl,

HA!  I also love to hear the typical response:  Yes, marriage is in a bad way.  Therefore, there's no good in mucking it up even further by letting the gays in on it.

Which brings me to another point:  I am completely over how legislation with regard to gays and lesbians is slanted in this country.  I always thought that the ideal was along the lines of "innocent unless proven guilty"  (note unless, not until...a pet peeve of mine since "until" infers that guilt will eventually be found).  With us queer folk, there is always a sense of presumed "guilt".  The onus is always on us to prove that we aren't a menace or that we do deserve validation- rather than the other way around.  It burns my burger to no end.  We have to carry the burden to prove why we SHOULD be afforded legal protections rather than it having to be shown why we shouldn't.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline carousel

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2007, 02:19:56 pm »
Years of being beaten round the head by sanctimonous people berating gay people that their relationships to do not constitute the same as a heterosexual man and wife, is enough to turn any queer against the idea.

You can't have kids, you're certainly not equal and you can't get married.  God says so. The Religious Right ignoring the basic concept of Equality under the Law, peddling fear and hatred, gross stereotypes that we as Gay Men and Women know are based on nothing but a loathing of people who 'choose' not live like them.

Civil Partnerships are about equality and legal recognition.  This is not marriage. Many of those who have already got hitched would not want a religious ceremony, even if hypocritical religious faiths finally recognised us.

Equality before the Law.

Offline jack

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2007, 02:21:55 pm »
All I know is, its a lot easier raising children with a partner who is working as hard at it as you. My wife and I made a commitment early on that we would trade early income so one of us could always be at home with our children. We were both products of big,wonderful, and very happy families. We wanted nothing to stand in the way of our children having the absolute best chance of attaining happiness and succeeding in today society. In todays society it is very,very difficult to raise a child for one individual,I am not saying it can't be done,but it is very tough. I have great respect for single moms and dads who successfully raise children, but I know for a fact I wouldn't wanna do it.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:54 pm »
Let the record show I'm not for getting rid of marriage. I think heterosexual marriage makes many people very happy and helps provide a stable environment for children. Just because it doesn't always last until death doesn't mean marriage doesn't work. I think gays and lesbians have different kinds of relationships with different needs.

And I also say that just because it doesn't match your needs, doesn't mean it can't well serve others.  I also would like to suggest that a recognized union might make some of our own very happy and might also provide a stable environment for children.  For all the talk of the drying up of the offspring well, I still think there are a good number of children in need of loving himes and a fair amount of gay and lesbian people in the waiting to be good parents.  And I refuse to accept that these kids are better served sitting in a state home or tossed around in a foster system than they might be under the care of two moms or dads.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jack

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2007, 02:30:19 pm »
Gay marriage does not threaten traditional marriage, but when proponents of gay marriage question the importance of traditional marriage which produces children(and the family), I think many on the right fear there is something more sinister than two people who love each other wanting to be married.  I have read several posts in this thread questioning the need for traditional marriages and families. I really can't imagine a world without traditional families or if there would even be one, a human one. I guess I never knew this kind of thinking was prevalent or in great favor. I guess I just don't get it.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2007, 02:48:17 pm »
Gay marriage does not threaten traditional marriage, but when proponents of gay marriage question the importance of traditional marriage which produces children(and the family), I think many on the right fear there is something more sinister than two people who love each other wanting to be married.  I have read several posts in this thread questioning the need for traditional marriages and families. I really can't imagine a world without traditional families or if there would even be one, a human one. I guess I never knew this kind of thinking was prevalent or in great favor. I guess I just don't get it.

And on that point, I will agree with Jack...about 80%.  I don't think the very existence of a human world would would be jeapordized, but I take his point about the social upheaval fears generated by cries to completely abolish the current family structure.  And that's why I think we are better served at leveling the field within the framework of what is here than we are calling for the complete destruction of the curent structure of society.  That plea has a rather anarchistic ring to it.

Oh, my God....I've just publicly sided with Jack.  Will I lose my A List standing or have my Queer Card revoked?  Hold on...I think I just heard a clap of thunder in the distance.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2007, 03:29:41 pm »

With a greater than 50% divorce rate... I think we're in the brave new world already.

And the nuclear family as we think of it is a byproduct of the industrial era... "traditional" families... such as exist in agricultural societies and were the primary families in all of the world until 1850 or so were the sort of "extended family" model.  Several generations living together under one roof... that ended when the Industrial Revolution came.

As we enter the post-industrial era, it's only natural that family structure change as well.

I read the Tofflers in high school.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2007, 03:48:42 pm »
I don't recall suggesting that the nuclear (which is what Jakey and Tim mean by traditional) family should be abolished. I simply believe that its hegemony needs to be broken. So people are free to form their relationships as they see fit and so one section of the community is not privileged to the detriment of everyone else.

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2007, 03:53:41 pm »
last time there was this much defense of the family by the right the argument centered around the destruction of the family by miscegenation

AD
(who stands by his gay guilt theory)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.