Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:12:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 601
Total: 601

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Outpatient colonoscopy  (Read 4618 times)

Offline frankva

Outpatient colonoscopy
« on: September 05, 2007, 04:35:37 pm »
My pcp wants me to have a fun giant dildo colonoscopy since I have now hit the big 50. So, I went to the local outpatient facility for a consult. The gi doc says that most hiv patients, including me, have to go to the hospital and use an anethesthesiologist & surgery room because of medication interactions w/ the standard outpatient sedative. I ain't too happy about this because the outpatient facility is about a 1500 cost whereas the hospital/anethesiologist procedure will be several thousand. My co-pays will be substantially more. Also it's a lot more of a headache to go to the huge hospital. Does anyone know about this? MY meds are crixivan, viread and epivir.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: Outpatient colonoscopy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:59:43 pm »
I had it done as outpatient in Dr's well equipped office...nothing was said about meds   problems..Dr knew about HIV  since that was part of reason I was referred to him...now go back every two yrs...next one coming up in Oct...
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 05:06:11 pm »
Hey Frank,

I recently had a general anesthetic and yes they can interact with HIV medications. Particularly atazanavir (Reyetaz), but also others perhaps. You could try our nifty drug interaction tool but I suspect you need to know the name of the specific anesthetic(s) being used.

My feeling would be that if the medicos say you're going to need an inpatient anesthetic because of your meds, then the outpatient form of colonoscopy is not a goer in your case.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 05:17:38 pm »
i still think it is probably a good idea to suck it up about the copay and have the test done.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:57:52 pm »
frankva -

the sedatives usually used for this procedure in an outpatient setting (things like versed & halcion) can have quite a serious interaction with PI's and sustiva. the blood levels of the sedative are raised and the rate at which they are cleared decreased, which makes heavier sedation/respiratory depression etc more likely

if you're having concerns, could you discuss this more with your consultant, or ask to speak with one of the anaesthetists?

kate

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:20:38 pm by penguin »

Offline whizzer

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 07:07:34 pm »
Versed, which is commonly used as the sedative/hypnotic drug during conscious sedation procedures, is metabolized by the cytochrome P-450 system in the liver.  Norvir is a P-450 inhibitor.  This makes it much easier to overdose a patient on Versed (and Halcion, among others).  So it all depends on your GI doc doing the procedure.  If he's not comfortable sedating you, then he's going to want an anesthesiologist to do it.   And that usually means the hospital, at greater cost, and with the anesthesiologist's fee on top of everything else.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 11:08:38 pm »
I've had four in total, I believe.   Prep for the last two was the same:  drink one bottle of Fleet's phospho soda, beginning the afternoon before the day of your procedure.    In previous ones, I have been required to do more 'extensive' prep.   I once had an upper and lower G.I. (with barium enemas) series, as well as an endoscopy and colonoscopy.   They had me go on a liquid diet three days before (broth, popsicles, hard candy, water, gatorade [but not red or purple])

As soon as I was strong enough to walk to the car, I made my friend drive me to the nearest Steak and Ale.......never felt so 'empty' in my life.

My last two, in 2002 and 2005 were done in this small town hospital, as an outpatient, but I was put competely under, which is the way I prefer it   The little cute nurse says "sir don't you want to watch it on the screen?   Hell no, I have to see what comes out of that factory each day....I have no desire to see the 'works' of it)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline dbmathews

• HIV/AIDS booth at a church summer blockparty.
    • welcome to my world
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 11:21:59 pm »
I had an outpatient colonoscopy done earlier this summer due to a positive result of an anal pap smear.  My doctor (surgeon) is completely aware of my HIV status and the meds I am on, and I heard nothing about any interaction or concern regarding meds.  His only issue was my CD4 count which is still wonderful (knocking on wood).

Just checked my pulse and confirmed I do have a pulse and am still here...  not a ghost writer.  :)

Don't you just love to hear about risks and issues...  after the fact!!!  I have to go through this once a year now so hopefully I will remember to ask this question next summer.

Take care and big hugs folks.
Tested Poz February 19, 1993.
Started Combo Meds March 1996.  CD4s @ 166.
First Combo of Ritonavir, AZT, & Epivir.  (remember the ritonavir runs?)
Current Combo of Reyataz, Epzicom, & Viread.
Undetectable and CD4s @ 980 January 2008.
Thankfully now saving for retirement!

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:20:01 am »
I had my colonoscopy this year also and ran into this issue.  At the time i was on Atripla and there is definitely a problem with Atripla and either versed or halcion.  I had trouble getting the outpatient staff to understand that I was unwilling to use either sedative.  So, it was general anesthesia for me.  As it turned out, general was much better for my system.  There were no lingering after-effects (God knows you already get that in spades from the sustiva.)  In my case with my insurance, I only was out the co-insurance and co-pay for the anesthesia (about $100 after all was said and done.)  Well worth it to avoid the risk of versed or halcion.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline boylikertampa

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:50:52 pm »
Since becoming positive 7 yrs ago, I have had 2 colonoscopies and will have another one soon.  All were outpatient.  My GI doctor (I have Crohn's also) wants me to have one every 2 yrs or so since I had a cancerous tumor in my sweat glands a few yrs ago -- I'm glad he wants to continue to look for cancer.  No mention of problems with meds.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.