Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:37:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 451
Total: 451

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Heroic Measures question  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Heroic Measures question
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:16:40 am »
Dear Forum Friends,

I was asked a question by my second cousin and it is something that does affect all of us so let me begin:

I have never met Gene, he is the brother-in-law of my second cousin.  He is in his 60's, has been disabled since his teens from an accident at his job in a dairy.  I have known of him for decades, he has C.O.P.D., has been in a wheel chair and on oxygen for at least 20 years.  His children, grandchildren and wife are gone and he lives alone in a small house with his caregiver.  His caregiver is one of his sisters.  His brother lives close by and helps out as much as possible but does have a construction job and suffers from migranes and possibly some depression.

Gene has been found unconscious several times over the past few years and more recently over the past few weeks.  A DNR has not been discussed or signed.  This happened a week ago, second time this year.  This time, it was a heart problem, his brother was in the hospital with him as he was being moved from ICU.  He was moved into a room and went "code blue,"  they say his skin actually turned blue and his heart never stopped beating.  Doctor was in the hospital and arrived immediately.  Doctor said the prognosis was not good and asked the brother if there was a DNR on file.  Gene was revived again.

I was just asked the question of, "When do heroic measures become abuse to the patient?"  My answer was, the moment right to life/quality of life and the right to die with dignity are taken away from the terminally ill and placed in the hands of others, whether it be medical personnel or family.

We all live with a life threatening illness, when do you think heroic measures become abuse to the patient?  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Heroic Measures question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:28:31 am »
I think thats an important personal decision people have to make. Many of us are uncomfortable talking about it, but like you point out, if you DONT make advance directives, then your body will be kept alive to the best of medical science's ability. This is not always in the best interest of the patient, trapped in that body.

I have an advance directive which clearly states the circumstances under which a DNR should be applied.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 04:10:05 am »
Michael,

Interesting question you posit.  At our hospital, he is the classic case of DNR/DNI ("do not resusiitate/do not intubate"), but if there is nothing on file per his wishes, he is a full code.  UNLESS the closest relative decides to change his code status. 

I must say, the doctors where I work are incredibly efficient at talking with family members at getting a code status changed for someone who is not expected to survive with a reasonable quality of life.   This starts in the Emergency Room.   I'd like to think it's because we're a teaching hospital for the Family Practice program @ UC-Davis and the residents are more attuned to ask these things, but the cynical side of me secretly thinks it's because Contra Costa County doesn't want to spend the money on a hopeless case.

I will (sliightly) break patient confidentiality, and tell you of a case of a young man in his 20's that we had in ICU, that was diagnosed with AIDS.  His wishes were that he didn't want anything done.  Now I've taken care of many, many AIDS patients in my career that have pulled through after weeks on ventilators and have gone on to live productive lives post hospitalization.  The family dynamics of this "kid" were heartbreaking.  Father wanted everything done.  A touchy situation to say the least.  The docs figured that we could do something with this "kid," and the father agreed that everything should be done.

So....he was intubated when the inevitable time came.  And he stayed intubated for months.  Was quite traumatic to see him go thru several chest tubes, ARDS, etc.  Terrible, terrible situation for me personally.  Finally the ethics committee got involved, and the father finally decided to extubate and let him go.

So...we failed this young man in my view, in retrospect.

I guess I didn't really answer your question, did I?  Something we all need to think about though.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 05:09:05 am »
when do you think heroic measures become abuse to the patient?

Well for me that would be the moment the patient's wishes were disrespected, assuming the person's wishes are known beforehand. I have made my own wishes known legally. I have a DNR notification on all my medical records, have a Living Will, and my Trustee (my former partner and best friend) knows without question what I want should I ever not be able to decide for myself or convey my wishes.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 10:30:50 am »
a very good topic !

I recently had to re-think my advance directives.   The one I had on file with my doctor and the hospital was from my 'dark days', and I specified no heroic measures under any circumstances.

Now, it would be a shame for me to have survived 19 years with HIV and have a heart attack, and die because of an old DNR directive.   So I updated mine last year.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.