Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:34:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Murder She Wrote  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
Murder She Wrote
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:48:00 pm »
A man in Dallas TX kills a woman he was dating after she discloses that she's hiv+ to him.

Full story
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: Murder She Wrote
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »
 :-[ :'(
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
like any online/news story, there's so much information left out. we don't know whether the couple even had sex, used protection, viral load count or anything. However,the comments on that article are horrifying beyond belief. I've never seen so much false information in one place.

so sad about this young women  :-X
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:14:30 pm »
like any online/news story, there's so much information left out. we don't know whether the couple even had sex, used protection, viral load count or anything. However,the comments on that article are horrifying beyond belief. I've never seen so much false information in one place.

so sad about this young women  :-X

I'm done reading comments on news websites. The amount of stupidity is staggering, regardless of the subject. It can only lead to depression. I still have faith in humanity, but you wouldn't know from reading online comments.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:41:10 pm »
What an awful story.  And, I feel so bad for her kids.  I hope this man doesn't get to use some HIV panic defense.  Of course, if he were white with money to hire top attorneys, they probably could get him off, or a much reduced sentence. 

About the internet comments-- Yes, they are terrible.  I try to avoid them.  There are people who troll anything to do with being gay or HIV on the web, so they can post cruel comments.   

I've thought about coming out as poz in a big way, such as on youtube.  I've thought maybe that would help me to make the big step (to strangers first), and also possibly be able to help newly infected folks.  I've especially thought about doing it when I start meds.  But, I think I would have to turn the comment section off.  I've notice there are so many trolls, who will turn it into one big clusterfuck, while spreading misinformation at the same time.  Any good from an informational dialogue gets lost by evil comments and fights. 

And, apparently, fellow gays can be just as cruel.  I've seen comments posted from people claiming to be gay, who have made hateful comments.  Yes, they could be lying.  But, I've also seen youtube vids from poz people showing the hateful comments they got on sites like Manhunt, after disclosing their poz status.  So, unless these people are going on sites like Manhunt and pretending to be gay, I have to assume they are coming from people in the gay community.  Having said that, I realize the members on Manhunt aren't necessarily the cream of the crop, and gays aren't immune from being cruel and hateful. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:00:30 am »
I'm done reading comments on news websites.
I think I'm addicted to the comments.

in this case, the comments that really amazed me, because there were so many, were the denialist comments. What a sad story for that false issue (of hiv not being real/being the cause of aids) to be commented on so much.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Rockin

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:56:16 am »
I think I'm addicted to the comments.

in this case, the comments that really amazed me, because there were so many, were the denialist comments. What a sad story for that false issue (of hiv not being real/being the cause of aids) to be commented on so much.

Well I've seen a share of denialists comments here as well.

Some people still think man never landed on the moon, so there you go.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 10:25:59 am »
Well I've seen a share of denialists comments here as well.
always report those to the mods because they/we pounce on those kinds of comments and get them stricken down or deleted pretty fast.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:47:54 am »
this does show that HIV organizations in that area (and I guess everywhere since we don't know where all those people who commented are from) obviously need to still do a lot of education if people continue to think one exposure to HIV is a death sentence.

as far as the case, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the killer. He confessed and led the police to the murder weapon. Of course, non-disclosure laws won't really apply since the HIV+ woman is deceased. At best, all he could possibly get is a reduced sentence, maybe, for dealing with the "HIV scare".

with any luck this guy doesn't have big bucks for an attorney, but will have to use a public defender and will get just a basic defense that ends up with him in jail for murder - as it should be.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »
I scanned over the comments. Some are dumb-ass but there is a fair amount of debate, and people are offering rational thoughts as well.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rockin

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 06:02:43 pm »
this does show that HIV organizations in that area (and I guess everywhere since we don't know where all those people who commented are from) obviously need to still do a lot of education if people continue to think one exposure to HIV is a death sentence.

as far as the case, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the killer. He confessed and led the police to the murder weapon. Of course, non-disclosure laws won't really apply since the HIV+ woman is deceased. At best, all he could possibly get is a reduced sentence, maybe, for dealing with the "HIV scare".

with any luck this guy doesn't have big bucks for an attorney, but will have to use a public defender and will get just a basic defense that ends up with him in jail for murder - as it should be.

And the eerie thing is I saw that Queen Latifah HBO movie, "Life Support", 2 days ago and in that movie an African-American woman gets shot by her husband after disclosing her status to him.

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »
I'm done reading comments on news websites. The amount of stupidity is staggering, regardless of the subject. It can only lead to depression. I still have faith in humanity, but you wouldn't know from reading online comments.
I feel the same way. I'll 'happily' deal with my HIV but that hostility and stupidity you read in some online comments sometimes really drag me down. As I said before, for me that's the worst side effect of being poz.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »
I feel the same way. I'll 'happily' deal with my HIV but that hostility and stupidity you read in some online comments sometimes really drag me down. As I said before, for me that's the worst side effect of being poz.

But that is not a "privilege" of HIV related articles. You have no idea of the nonsense I've been reading when it comes to the American election. From "Obama is a Muslim who hates America" to "If he's re-elected we will become China".

And what about the whole "I'm against gay marriage but please respect my beliefs" drama?

Fear and ignorance runs rampart, it should come as no shock at all what people say about HIV.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 02:02:44 am »

Jail ? We are talking about Texas. Rick Perry holds the record on executions.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »
The Postive Women's Network issued a press release with a statement on this murder calling for a number of interventions to address the violence against women and girls living with HIV.

And since this deals with disclosure and it's about time for someone to start yet another thread on that very topic, keep in mind that Texas, however surprisingly or not, does not criminalize the transmission of HIV.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 06:50:15 pm »
Really? Seems like the law is a little inconsistent there if HIV transmission is not criminal but for a positive person to spit at a police officer is an 'assault with a deadly weapon' for which you go to jail for 35 years.  :-\

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »
the man involved knew what condoms were.  why is it only her responsibility for safe-sex...????  The likelihood that he even contracted HIV is probably slim, especially if she was on HAART and has an undetectable viral load.
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »
The sad fact of this story is that there are now two kids without a mother.  The dude probably isn't even positive.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.