Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:57:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 358
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Would you live or work in a building where the floors move?  (Read 10822 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Check out this building set to open in Dubai in 2010

http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=85195
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline physicsguy

Re: Would you live or work in a building where the floors move?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:06:17 pm »
That does look like a nice building.  Too bad it's going to be built on the backs of slave labor in an unsustainable cesspool.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:29:38 pm »
Very cool! I hope they build one in New York.

Offline Luke

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
There is nothing new about rotating buildings. We have had one in London since 1963 - but it has been closed to the public since the IRA scum tried to bomb it :(

Revolving restaurants on the top of tall buildings are pretty common around the world though. Never seen one that impressive though.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:13:18 pm by Luke »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 06:29:35 pm »

LOL.... I wonder what would happen if a malfunction occurred and got the building spinning at say oh 500 rpm !!  ::)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 06:47:27 pm »
Sometimes I can hardly stand to be in a moving car (depending who's driving), let alone a moving building. :P
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Luke

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 06:49:58 pm »
I wonder if you can be charged with operating a revolving floor under the influence.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:35:07 pm »
I don't think I'd live in a revolving building.  Once, while at a party in the revolving "The View Restaurant" in NYC, I put my drink down on a counter.  When I reached over to to get my drink 10 minutes later I saw that it had moved 10 feet behind me.  :(

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 09:01:31 pm »
That does look like a nice building.  Too bad it's going to be built on the backs of slave labor in an unsustainable cesspool.
Dubai pays construction workers crappy wages and they have terrible working conditions. However, they need not quit their countries to go work in Dubai. This is not "slave labour". 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline physicsguy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:03:48 pm »
Dubai pays construction workers crappy wages and they have terrible working conditions. However, they need not quit their countries to go work in Dubai. This is not "slave labour". 
It is effectively slave labor when their passports are confiscated once they get there.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:12:38 pm »

However, they need not quit their countries to go work in Dubai. This is not "slave labour".  

Are  you sure about that? Here on the Rock, we have quite a few members of the European Union who are working for wages that ordinary residents would consider "slave wages". Some people are willing to sacrifice quite a lot to be able to send money "back home" to support a spouse and children. If you were faced with a choice of you and your family starving, or you going to a country such as Saudi Arabia where you would earn what in your home country might be considered a fortune but in context, is slave labour, what would you do?

And you also need to realise that not all people are treated equally in SA. If you're not a member of the prevailing Muslim sect, and happen to be born in SA by accident of birth, you have to take what employment opportunities you can get. And the way it pans out, it's pretty much slave labour.

Hello?

My guess is that Physicsguy is more savvy when it comes to living in SA than you are.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline physicsguy

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:19:41 pm »
FYI, Dubai is part of the United Arab Emirates, not Saudi Arabia.

Here's an illuminating article about what things are really like in Dubai.

If you were faced with a choice of you and your family starving, or you going to a country such as Saudi Arabia where you would earn what in your home country might be considered a fortune but in context, is slave labour, what would you do?
This is something that makes it even more abhorrent.  They go with the promise of making money to send back to their impoverished families, but they end up getting paid a fraction of what they were promised.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 09:23:56 pm »

FYI, Dubai is part of the United Arab Emirates, not Saudi Arabia.

Ooops... yeah, I knew that. Consider it a brain-fart on my part. After all, it's 2:20am in my part of the world. :-\

I've read quite a bit on what the conditions are like in Dubai. And yes, it really is abhorrent that rich nations prey on the poor of the world to construct and maintain their lavish live-styles. Makes me sick.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 11:40:08 pm »
I feel as if that would get annoying. But it's cool though, especially since it's supposedly going to generate it's own power. Let's see what the LEED standards say on that.

....Are there LEED (or something similar) standards in Dubai? *Go Go Gadget Google* YES! There are!

If you'd like to check out a REALLY interesting story (happening in the UAE as well), check out the city of Masdar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:42:41 pm by toykoDecadence »
[.Fodão.]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:56 pm »

*Go Go Gadget Google*

Oooo.... I miss Inspector Gadget. Haven't seen him in YEARS.

How sad am I? ???

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 03:45:46 am »
...not slave labour but definitely exploited. 

I like Dubai as a place to just go and relax in the sun.  But you are always conscience that this Disneyesque town is built on a large, exploited (sub) working class.

I don't like the building.  Fine for maybe a hotel, but I wouldn't want to live there.  Plus the skyline in Dubai sucks, unless you're into construction cranes, sand and the odd collection of let's-try-and-out-do-our-neighbor buildings.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 05:44:27 am »
I'm with Betty.  I can hardly watch the thing spin on video, let alone have to live in it.  Once the elevator reaches your floor (did the man say 80 stories!), do you have to run in circles, chasing down your front door as it spins wildly?  Great for an amusement park ride - not as a home.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline umfowabo

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 07:00:02 am »
Dubai is just over the top everything has to be the biggest or the tallest or whatever.Actually I think a lot of it is just tacky like Vegas without the gambling.
I agree with PhysicsGuy and Ann about the workers there.The last time I went to Dubai I was only there 5 days but I saw two construction workers be hit by cars on the road.They drive around in these massive SUV's at crazy speeds and like I said,I saw these 2 workers get hit as they were trying to cross the road.And no one stopped or anything.Because I think in places like UAE,Saudi,Qatar they just don't see these people as human.They're like ants or something that just do the menial labour.

Matthew

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 09:52:40 am »
Isn't there a lot of human trafficking with Albanian prostitutes in London?  Amazing how human degradation happens not only in a developing country with unscrupulous business practices (not uncommon particularly, however unfortunate) but also in pillars of haute civilization.

I know that there used to be unsavory trafficking of Chinese women in NYC, but I think it's been a good decade since I've run into a really nasty new story on this so maybe it's changed.

I can't think of a single economy in an already developed country that didn't exploit mass amounts of people to get there.  However, I'd still put sexual slavery pretty far at the top of nastiness.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Luke

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 10:07:08 am »
Dubai is just over the top everything has to be the biggest or the tallest or whatever.

Funny - I can think a lot of people who say exactly that about the US, but you say it about Vegas.

It is like Irish jokes - everyone tells jokes about the Irish, but the Irish tell jokes about Kerrymen .. which the Kerrymen then put in books and sell to the English.

Isn't there a lot of human trafficking with Albanian prostitutes in London?

Dunno - personally I prefer my willing Brazilian boys. So much more pleasing to the senses ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 10:18:52 am »

Dunno - personally I prefer my willing Brazilian boys. So much more pleasing to the senses ;)

I'll meet you at Club 117 tomorrow.

Offline umfowabo

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 11:37:00 am »
Isn't there a lot of human trafficking with Albanian prostitutes in London?
Well women from all over Eastern Europe really.The police and foreign office have been cracking down on that thought the last few years I think so it's not as big a problem as it was in say the first few years of 2000.I think parts of France and Germany still have a lot of problems with trafficking and women being exploited.It's difficult in the EU because everyone can move around freely without applying for visas or anything.So I guess it's hard to work out who has been forced to go somewhere.

Places like Dubai I think it's just a huge contrast between the people who have rights,money,power(like male citizens)and the rest who don't(like immigrants and women).They treat women like dirt or possessions and their human rights record is disgusting.But no one does anything about it because they have something everyone else needs(oil etc)
I've never really understood why people like going there for holidays,to me it just seemed so artificial.I guess some people like that though.

Matthew

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:40:01 am by umfowabo »

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 11:58:24 am »
I can agree. Dubai isn't even on the list of places I'd ever want to visit. But neither is Vegas.

I could see the novelty behind a turning restaurant. As in, a place you'd go for a nominal amount of time, and then leave. But living in a rotating building?

[.Fodão.]

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 12:42:45 pm »

Damn for a minute there I thought this was  the  lightbulb thread....... 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline next2u

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 06:43:46 pm »
id hang out in it a for a minute. in this economy, if i lost my job, id work in any building, lol.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 04:49:25 am »
FYI
There is a difference between Dubai and Saudi Arabia. Don't assume -- I have worked in both countries.

I agree basically that some people and "guest workers" can be treated like shit.
http://www.hrw.org/en/node/11123/section/5
http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?Itemid=32&id=1052&option=com_content&task=view
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Dubai

However, semantically, I don't consider this "slave labour" which to me at least means the law of the land allows slavery.   Half the abuses in these countries seem to be a bad combination of capitalists/gangsters and ignorant people being abused by their own countrymen and then again the companies using the "guest worker".

If you wanna call these gross labour practices "slave labour" then, OK, and note they exist around the world and its not easy to avoid "benefiting" or being implicit in their continuation. 

There are two sides to every story - and even some human rights activists acknowledge the regrettable transitionary period of workers joining the global economy at the lowest level and least power sometimes results in improved standard of life for developing countries....

Having just read several books about the Atlantic Slave Trade, I see parrallels from then, to now, but personally don't define this indentured service as 21st century slave labour. 

But if you want to use that term to call attention to the gross Human Rights abuses, ok fine with me!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 05:02:12 am »
This is something that makes it even more abhorrent.  They go with the promise of making money to send back to their impoverished families, but they end up getting paid a fraction of what they were promised.
In the Atlantic Slave Trade, different African tribes and "nations" were constantly warring and capturing each other.  Prisoners of war were shackled and sold to middlemen who kept them shackled in the dungeons on the coast, then on the ship, all the way to the destination.  In some New World places they had seasoning camps - a year or two of torture to break the captures humanity and make them slaves.  All of this was legal.
Soviet Gulags.
Nazi Concentration Camps.
etc etc etc.

There is forced trafficing of humans for the sex industry nowadays.  

On the other hand, who's promising these "guest workers" the great futures (agents in both countries), and why are they "believing" it?

A few years ago, it was revealed that WalMarts in the USA were being cleaned by indentured servants, as well...

When i've made Anti WalMart comments in these threads, some people have told me to shut up and they love Wal Mart or, rather, its the only place they can afford to shop.

Who is "enslaving" whom and how....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:06:45 am by mecch »

Offline Luke

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 05:09:43 am »
The exploitation of migrant labour is all relative. Most of this exploited labour in the Gulf states comes from the Indian subcontinent. Are their conditions in the Gulf states any worse than if they ended up living in a Mumbai slum, or if they were a six-year-old girl in India mining mica, for an absolute pittance, in order that we in the West can have glitter in our lipstick, a pane of glass in our cooker / stove that isn't going to shatter when it gets hot, or cheap microchips in our PCs that don't cease to function when they heat up?

Don't get me wrong, I am defending nothing; but it is easy to condemn and forget that we all have a part to play in this filthy business. Some of us just happen to have the luxury of being able to export our filthy business to where we can conveniently pretend it doesn't exist - or that it is all OK as long as they have the perverse notion of 'freedom' that we impose with our economic warfare, bombs, depleted-uranium-tipped armaments and white phosphorous.  

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6719151.ece
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:18:15 am by Luke »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »
I think a building like that would be a cool addition to the NY skyline ... but when he mentioned Moscow I just pictured huge chunks of ice falling of it all the time.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline fearless

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 07:51:59 pm »
it's another example of gimmicky architecture for dubai in its quest to market itself as an international tourist destination of choice.

while technically, tricky, i don't think it's a particularly aesthetically appealing building. give me the gherkin any day.

new york doesn't need such gimmicks. new york is and always will be new york.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »
agreed

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 07:42:46 am »
New York built some gimmicky Post Modern stuff - like the ATT (now SONY) where I thoroughly enjoyed the lobby's coolness in the dog days of August. 
New Fangled "cities" like Dubai and Shenzhen can't really be compared to old metropolis's - they are something different to be appreciated for their own weirdness.  Actually, there is something a bit Los Angeles + Vegas about Dubai.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 05:41:22 pm »
There is a single family dwelling on San Marin Drive in Novato.  It is round, single story and rotates on a turntable powered from it's own wind generator which was built in the early 1950's.  It appears to be still turning.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 09:56:08 pm »
Forget the rotating building...time to sign up for the floating luxury apartment complex in The Netherlands!
http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/07/29/the-citadel-europes-first-floating-apartment-complex/

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 05:51:27 am »

Forget the rotating building...time to sign up for the floating luxury apartment complex in The Netherlands!
http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/07/29/the-citadel-europes-first-floating-apartment-complex/

Kubuswoningen for the 21st century?

I can't help but think these new places would suffer terribly - eventually, if not right away - from rising damp. But, saying that, I suppose it's a natural progression from barge houses. Might be the wave of the future (pardon the pun) for when global warming decimates coastal habitation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 09:27:44 am »
Not sure about that artist's rendering of the floating complex, especially with it being complete with palm trees (in the Netherlands)!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.