Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:04:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In a semi-perfect world, we could fight casual prejudice  (Read 21332 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: In a semi-perfect world, we could fight casual prejudice
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2011, 06:17:31 pm »
what makes anyone think that yet another campaign about something not nearly as important is going to work? We smoke, drink, bareback, drive fast, and eat tons of red meat with merry abandon, despite all the warnings we have read/heard throughout our lives. Why would people suddenly sit up and take heed of a campaign about something that, in the context of the larger world, is basically trivial and meaningless? Wouldn't the energy and resources funneled into such a project be better utilized by directing them into something more useful to more people.
it would seem that another campaign (or 2 or 3 or 4) is exactly what's needed since there are still HIV infections happening. That other thread simply proves that what has been used hasn't worked 100% yet, so maybe this would be the project to reach another group of people and get some more results.

As often as the word "clean" is used in the AII? forum regarding HIV infection, that clearly shows that line of thought is not trivial or meaningless. Actually, just off the top of my head without any hard numbers, it seems the "clean" meme is often used by straight people also, whom I would suggest are already less targeted with a safe sex message (as we can tell simply by pregnancy rates), compared to a high risk group; unlike gay men who have been targeted every which way and still keep coming up infected. We can't just limit safe sex campaigns to reach to only gay men. In my state, 73% of all new infections are straight (not on the "down low") African-Americans. A campaign promoting the senselessness of asking about "cleanliness" might be very influential.

Just like in previous discussions about that in-your-face NY campaign (bones breaking, anal cancer pix, etc), rather than rule out any avenue or any campaign, we need to open our horizons and try all avenues to reach the public. The "clean" meme is used enough, by straights and gays, that such a campaign would touch on something that people do actually think/say wrongly about HIV infection and the spread of HIV.

We smoke, drink, bareback, drive fast, and eat tons of red meat with merry abandon, despite all the warnings we have read/heard throughout our lives.
yikes! that sort of defeatist-sounding pronouncement would then lead us to ask why attempt any safe-sex message at all if they are just guaranteed to fail because humans don't listen to warnings.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »
No prevention campaign will ever work 100% and it's moronic to think that any would.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2011, 06:43:13 pm »
No prevention campaign will ever work 100% and it's moronic to think that any would.

Most everyone, will always do what they want anyway, we tried this w/ drug prevention in the City I lived in @ the Sheriff's Dept. guess what, it didn't work.....
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »
   Unfortunately, due to the human race being made up of dolts, it seems that our efforts to prevent various Bad Things from happening, frequently coming to naught, are the result of our almost pathalogical ability to do the wong thing most of the time.

We're smart enough to know what's the best thing for us, however we don't actually do what's best for us. We ignore warnings from everything to smoking, drinking alcohol, unprotected sex, ad infinitum. Yet when things go wrong, we sit there and look to find someone to blame. Whether it's a multi-pack a day smoker who develops lung cancer, or the guy who barebacks and winds up in our shoes. We will ignore all advice contrary to what we want, even if it kills us, which it sometimes does.

So with that in mind, I cannot help but to find the idea of an anti-stigma campaign to be rather dubious.

Instead of trying to change society to come around to our way of thinking, perhaps the effort would be better spent in trying to bolster ones defenses against the inevitable bit of hurtfulness that life will eventually hand you. Repeatedly. It would seem to me that learning to cope with such things is the proper response, the whole self-preservation thing, y'know? Learn how to cope and brush it off for what it is: a trivial irritant. Face it, having HIV is hard enough, and in the face of all the truly awful things that it can represent, using a word like clean is pretty low on CaptCarl's Patented Scale of Offensenitivity. Allowing oneself to be "stigmatized" by such an unimportant word is baffling to me.

Maybe there is a partial solution, though. Instead of expecting things to change through some social campaign, instead endeavor to educate one at a time, in a civilised manner so that people will actually listen. People are easier to educate one-on-one. I look at what Ann does on a daily basis over on the AII? Forum. She politley, but firmly lets people know that the word clean is considered offensive by some, and that it will not be tolerated. I suspect that between she and the other moderators here as well as a few others, they bring the issue of "clean" to peoples attention and with the desired effect more efficiently than any public campaign likely would.

Life is offensive. That will never change. The world is a dangerous place, and will kill you if you don't learn a few basics about survival. The best thing one can do is to learn to cope with it, and to move on when it's over. Wanting someone else to do it for you won't do you any favors.

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2011, 07:21:49 pm »
of course, rarely does any campaign work 100% But shouldn't the goal be to stop the spread of HIV 100%? I would hate to think that they're designing safe sex campaigns to only be 70-80% effective. But since realistically no campagin will ever be 100% effective, that's why it makes sense to consider other possible campaigns to reach some of the people that haven't been reached.

in a perfect world, it would be great it all the safe sex campaigns together would add up to stopping 100% of the spread of HIV

I cannot help but to find the idea of an anti-stigma campaign to be rather dubious.
Ah! I was not talking about this as an anti-stigma campaign; but as a safe-sex campaign. I know mecch brought this topic up as being offended but I pointed out that the question itself, regardless of it's offensiveness, is just stupid and doesn't get to the heart of the matter. Asking about someone's status (ie are you clean?) is no way to have safe sex - because people lie and people don't know their own status. And that would be the reason to use the clean meme in a safe sex campaign. Not to try to keep people from offending HIV+ people's sensibilites.

I suspect that between she and the other moderators here as well as a few others, they bring the issue of "clean" to peoples attention and with the desired effect more efficiently than any public campaign likely would.
Not diminishing what the mods do, but they only bring this issue to people who have already come to this site. An actual public campaign would reach many more people than ever visit this site.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2011, 07:32:08 pm »
Well, I treat everyone like they have AIDS or and STD, you simply have to, been that way for many yrs. now  ;) but sometimes I digress, during times of Lent  ;D too clarify this, most people give up something during lent
I give up being a prude  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:38:44 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »
Well, I treat everyone like they have AIDS or and STD, you simply have to, been that way for many yrs. now  ;)

Someone's got the Right Idea.....

Offline denb45

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2011, 07:39:26 pm »
Someone's got the Right Idea.....

:-*

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2011, 07:52:10 pm »
I give up being a prude  ;D

It's hard being a prude. I've tried it . . . it didn't work  :P
I love the nookie too much  :-*
~Strange ideas are Superfluous and unoriginal~

Offline denb45

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »
It's hard being a prude. I've tried it . . . it didn't work  :P
I love the nookie too much  :-*

Only during times of Lent for me , that's when I give up the goods ;D

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2011, 07:57:15 pm »
I don't think I have times of lent. . .    :-\
I blame the last remnant of my teenage hormones  :P

Offline denb45

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2011, 07:59:31 pm »
I don't think I have times of lent. . .    :-\
I blame the last remnant of my teenage hormones  :P

Teenage hormones, please your only a very RIPE 20 yrs old   :-*

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2011, 08:00:49 pm »
"RIPE" lol
I turn 21 this year, I can't use the teenage hormones thing after that :P
so milking it for all it's worth

Offline denb45

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:22 pm »
"RIPE" lol
I turn 21 this year, I can't use the teenage hormones thing after that :P
so milking it for all it's worth

I can't even recall when I was 21 , enjoy it while it last, your old enough to know better, ok , I'll go with Dat   ;)

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
I know better  ;)
plus I'm a good boy; I'm just getting my halo polished and my wings are naturally black   :)

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2011, 08:09:12 pm »
of course, rarely does any campaign work 100% But shouldn't the goal be to stop the spread of HIV 100%? I would hate to think that they're designing safe sex campaigns to only be 70-80% effective. But since realistically no campagin will ever be 100% effective, that's why it makes sense to consider other possible campaigns to reach some of the people that haven't been reached.

But I have to wonder that if the intiial campaign gets the message across to say, 75% of the people, how will you try to reach the other 25% with the likelihood that you will in turn reach only 75% of that group. Then repeat it all over again. And again. At what point do you stop splitting the hairs? After all, the basic message of safe sex is very simple, "If you fuck the wrong person without a condom you will die. And it won't be quick or pretty."

As I said in my earlier post, yes campaigns can be effective, but frequently enough they're not due to the basic stubborness and stupidity of people in general. At some point the point of diminshing returns comes into play. You know the saying...."You can lead a whore to Culture, but you can't make her Think."

I also didn't say that you were talking about an anti-stigma campaign. But others here were, and it was to them that my points were directed. You're right about the qestion being stupid. As is getting worked up about a silly little word to the point that they seriously consider mounting a PR campaign to try to stop it's use.

I think you kind of missed the point I was making about the moderators. It was that they are more effective in informing  people about the issue of using the word clean, as well as other issues. There is also the ripple effect to think about, each person telling others, who maybe pass it on. It is likely that the influence of the Mods reaches far beyond the limits of the Forums. It is true that a PSA billboard campaign would reach more people, I'd wager that the percentage of people who actually get the message is far lower. The same reason that sometimes a grass-roots effort is more effective than a large organized campaign.

CaptCarl

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 04:39:04 am »
http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/suisse/story/28243855

So the stigma campaign was this:
Posters of famous swiss people with the words
"Would you blah blah blah if I were seropositive?"

example:  "Would you still come to my concerts if I were seropositif?"

I thought it was OK, better than nothing.  But it was hiv- people (we can assume) and the question was open - no suggested response.  That's very adult but we are kinda of saying here we are dealing with idiots and basic human nature that wants to refuse the message.

There are plenty of free little brochures in the gay bars and centers, however, that do clearly explain that "asking about HIV" doesn't give reliable information.

Its seems to be more of a general public ignorance.  The hispanic poster in the other thread clearly explained how everyone makes assumptions about "He/She must be clean because blah blah blah reason".
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline elf

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 09:30:38 am »
Even stranger are phrases like ''discretion and hygiene are essential'' (where ''hygiene'' stands for being HIV-)   :o

In my Manhunt profile I have: HIV: ask me,
but no one has ever asked.  ???

When I was HIV-, I always found it rude to ask about someone's status.
You presumed everyone was potentially HIV+, and condom usage was expected (and not negotiated).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:33:54 am by elf »

Offline denb45

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:50 am »
Even stranger are phrases like ''discretion and hygiene are essential'' (where ''hygiene'' stands for being HIV-)   :o

In my Manhunt profile I have: HIV: ask me,
but no one has ever asked.  ???

What is all this manhunt crap? just cause you use that doesn't mean that everyone does  ::) AGAIN speak for yourself  ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 11:05:59 am »
What is all this manhunt crap? just cause you use that doesn't mean that everyone does  ::) AGAIN speak for yourself  ::)

How did anyone survive HIV-dating before the Manhunt era... ::rolls eyes::

Offline denb45

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:54 am »
How did anyone survive HIV-dating before the Manhunt era... ::rolls eyes::

We did just fine miss P  :-*

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 11:17:48 am »

Well hey, one of my old nicknames from my ex-leather tricks was "Bar Slut"

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2011, 11:27:14 am »

;D   :D   :)

don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.