Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:24:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 452
Total: 452

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: low risk needlestick in high risk setting?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline toothfairy

low risk needlestick in high risk setting?
« on: December 09, 2006, 11:59:15 am »
Hey forum.  Thanks for being here.
I'm a dental student and I experience a stick yesterday. It was from a dental explorer which is, essentially, a non-hollow needle.  I wasn't concerned about HIV at first, but I reported the occurrence and went to the health center with Hep C in mind.  However, once there, they only talked with  me about HIV.  They offered me the PEP, although the nurse practitioner I spoke with said she would not recommend it.  I turned them down, and they told me that I had about 48 hours to change my mind.  Now that I've slept on it I'm wondering if it wouldn't hurt to try the PEP just in case. 

Here's the details:
The explorer that I poked myself with was not even used yesterday.  However, since I did have it out and exposed, I included it in the sterilization process a the end of the appointment.  That process is as follows:
1.  Rinse or scrub off any bits of tissue or gross amounts of blood with water.
2.  Immerse all instruments in an ultrasonic cleaning unit (filled with cleaning solution) for 2-3 minutes. (I do not know if the solution has any antibiotic properties, or if it just knocks debris of the instruments.)
3.  Dry all instruments under a hand dryer (the type you see in public bathrooms).
4.  Seal all instruments in sterilization bags.
5.  Send all sterilization bags to the school's autoclave for sterilization.

In my case, I did not have any tissue or blood, so I skipped the first step and went straight to #2.  This would have been the source of infection, since all the patients who are seen at the school (a VERY large clinic) have their contaminated instruments pass through the ultrasonic.  They were in there or 2 minutes.  I then removed them and dried them under the hand dryer for 2 cycles. I then sealed them in the bags (which are paper on one side and thin plastic on the other).  As I was dending them to the autoclave, the tip of the explorer poked through the bag, through my latex glove, and into my thumb.  I removed my glove and looked at my thumb.  I could not see any mark, so I squeezed my thumb to se if I could express any blood.  Doing so, I did express one small drop of blood which I wiped away.  I was unable to express any more.  I washed my hands and went to report the stick.

Now, my understanding of the HIV virus is that it is very fragile, and really not very infectious.  In other words, that for infection to occur it would require at least a visible amount of an infected fluid, with a high viral load, injected deep, for there to even be a slight chance of infection.   

As I see my case, while there could possibly be just about any virus swimming around in the ultrasonic cleaning solution, HIV would be so dilute, that it already would not be a real threat.  Then I dried my instruments.  Would the drying have killed any virus that may have been present?  Finally, even if live virus had survived and was on the tip of my explorer, there was not enough to be visible, and it was such a Small puncture, that I wouldn't really be at risk, right?

From this reasoning, I turned down the PEP, but the fact that they offered it to me,(even if they didn't recommend it) and gave me 48 hours to reconsider makes me wonder if they're just covering their butts or if it wouldn't really hurt to take it just to be safe.

It's now about 15 hours after the fact and I'm having a little bit of trouble getting it out of my head.  I think about my wife and children and wonder if I should just take the meds, feel rotten from them for a month, and be done.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: low risk needlestick in high risk setting?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 01:19:03 pm »
tooth,

You do not need PEP. You don't even need testing. For a start, the instrument hadn't even been used on a patient since the last time it was sterilized. Then you stuck yourself with it after it had been in an ultrasonic. There is no way there would be anything on that instrument you need to worry about.

You do not need to worry in this instance.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline toothfairy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 06:27:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.  After all, this is a time sensitive matter. 

So, you agree that there's no way my explorer could have picked up enough of the virus in the ultrasonic to be infective with a small puncture?

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but being a scientist, I like redundancy and multiple sources.  Thanks for your time!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:09:45 pm »
OK. Here's some redundancy. As Ann has told you, there's no cause for PEP, testing nor for further concern about HIV in this situation.

Your concern and caution are certainly understandable, but really and truly, you weren't at risk. Take a breath, let it go and get on with your life.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline toothfairy

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:21:46 pm »
Thanks Andy, Thanks Ann, thanks to all other users and moderators.  I'm moving on. 

Cheers!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:47:57 am »
You're welcome. And glad to know that you're moving on. Life at its best is way too short to be spent on worrying unnecessarily as you have been.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.