Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:57:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 616
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Should i be worried or expect good new!?!?!?  (Read 7682 times)

Offline dredeagle

Should i be worried or expect good new!?!?!?
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:03:08 am »
Hello, to start off i am a male in my early 20s who is circumcised and who has never had any serious health problems in my life.

3 1/2 weeks ago i had sex with a sex worker that i met in a bar in Bangkok Thailand.
We started off having protected oral and vaginal sex but the condom broke and i was in bare for about 5 to 6 minutes before i realized and pulled out then finished by my self and took a long shower. I had asked her before about her status and she said she only has sex on weekends and gets tested every month and that she came back neg on the last test. Any ways about 1 1/2 weeks later after i was masturbating my penis head began to tingle ever so slightly and i got slight testicular pain in my right nut. After this happened i looked up every thing on the internet and convinced my self i had HIV or and std and got really bad stomach pain. The tingle stopped the next day and the testicular pain came and went but it was a very slight pain but the stomach ache stayed. I called her at the 2 week mark and she told me that she had got tested the day before and was all clean and also told me i was the first one ever bare( i don't believe the only bare part) But any ways my stomach pain stayed so i went to the doctor at 20 day mark, the doctor told me my testicular pain was cause my heavy drinking that i did for my party week. I took a HIV and std test and as soon as i saw i was neg my stomach pain instantly went away and my apatite came right back and i also have begun laughing and being my normal self. The doctor told me i most likely had nothing because most people get the antibodies at 2 weeks or a little after that but that i should come back at 6 weeks and if i really want then 3 months. I would like to know from your professional opinion if i should be expecting good news or not? even if she was lying and had never been tested or even the off chance she had hiv?

PS when i had the sex i was so drunk so my erection was never full on and she wasn't very wet either, i don't know if that help or not 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Should i be worried or expect good new!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
You did have a risk for  HIV with the broken condom, albeit a relatively low one. HIV is harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around. And it was a single, relatively brief incident with the broken condom. Plus the condom protected you until it broke.

Getting tested is a good idea. As your doctor mentioned, you can do it initially at 6 weeks. If you get the likely negative result then it is a good indication that you will continue to test negative for a conclusive result at 3 months.

A red flag in your comments is your having mixed excessive drinking with casual sex. That's a dangerous combination. You can have all the sex you want to. But do it more soberly and of course always using a condom for either vaginal or anal intercourse.

Good luck with your testing.
Andy Velez

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:11 am »
Thanks for getting back to me so soon, and i know it was a mistake that ill never do it again! When you say the drinking is not a good mixture are you saying that as it makes you make stupid decisions or that it help transfers Hiv better? And what about my 3 week neg test, is that also a good sign and do you think this is something i should worry about or i probably got away lucky with this one?

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:53:03 pm »
And also if I got a pcr test at 3  1/2 weeks could this be considered conclusive since it looks into the RNA for HIV it's self?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »
No, a negative PCR at 3.5 weeks would not be conclusive. It was not designed to be a stand alone test for a conclusive result.

Your initial negative result is encouraging but again, not conclusive. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. So a negative at 6 weeks is a good sign that you will likely test negative again at 3 months for a conclusive result.

The reason heavy drinking mixed with casual sex is a bad idea is because it impairs your ability to make good choices in what you do and often prevents following safer sex practices.
Andy Velez

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »
Thank you very much, I feel as if most of my worry was just mental cause I felt so much better right after my 3 week test, I'm not scared of my test at 6 weeks cause I no that the odds are in my favor and if I got it off such a small chance then maybe it's gods plan for me. The last question I want to ask is that on average when is the latest the acue symptoms can appear?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:58:05 pm »
The important thing to note about symptoms is that often they don't appear or at least not in a particularly noticeable way. And even more importantly, symptoms are a very unreliable means of judging HIV status because the symptoms so often resemble those caused by other non-HIV problems.

Ultimately I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »
I see a lot that Ann says she has never herd of the insertive partner contracting HIV from a condom break, am I considered a condom brake or just bare since I was in for about 5 min? And I'm really hoping your right that i come out of this one ok cause I to have a good feeling about it but odd chance I do get it, stuff happens, life goes on. Thanks for all your help :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 06:29:20 pm »
When it comes to HIV risk, facts are much more important than feelings. And in your case that was a low level risk you had. And yes, I do still expect you to come out of this ok.

You do have the right idea about if on the odd chance you test positive, life will still go on. Because it will.

But nevertheless I am expecting you to test negative. Meantime while you are waiting to test you should make a real effort to focus on other things in your life. Doing that will make the waiting time to pass more easily than you may imagine is possible.
Andy Velez

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:49:26 pm »
Ok thank you so much! I will go get tested in 2 weeks and then again in another 6 and in the mean time I'll try and stay off the Internet but I'll let u no my updated status.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:30:54 am »
Staying off the internet is a healthy idea. In addition to the wealth of outdated, incomplete, or simply wrong information out there, there is really nothing you can find to replace a test at, say, the 25 day mark and again at the three month mark.

Symptoms of HIV are a wide-ranging as the human immune system (which is, well the entire spectrum). You will be best served to stay busy and take whatever comfort there is knowing that your risk was very low.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:07 am »
dred,

Don't waste time, money and resources by testing at two weeks. You only need to test at six weeks and then again at three months to confirm your negative result. And YES, I do fully expect you to test hiv negative.

Correctly used condoms rarely break. There are two main reasons for condom breakage.

One is not using enough lube. From what you've said (she wasn't very wet), I suspect this is what caused the break in your situation. You need to use plenty of water-based lube, even when having vaginal intercourse. Sometimes the lube a woman naturally produces isn't enough.

The second cause is having an air bubble in the tip of the condom. When putting a condom on, you need to pinch the tip with the finger and thumb of one hand, while rolling it down with the other hand.

Once it's on, give it a firm stroke from tip to base while watching the tip. If there's an air bubble, you'll see it. If there is a bubble, roll it back up and try again.

Once you're sure there is no air bubble, put plenty of water-based lube on and go for it.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 12:33:27 pm »
Ann thank you very much for the advice it really does help and what you people are doing is such a great thing! :) When I said getting tested in 2 weeks that ment the 6 week point since I'm already about 4 weeks in, not 2 weeks after the inter course! And also of all the times to have it we had an doctor come in to my university and my health class and talk about all the stds HIV and many other things and offered free testing so I figured it couldn't hurt and took it! At the 25 day mark I am neg, but I will still be going in about 2 weeks and again at 12.

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 04:04:50 pm »
One more thing I would like to ask is that if you have symptoms and they are HIV that means You have the anti bodies already and will test positive? I don't have any I'm just curious and would really like to know?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:28:07 am »
dred,

The symptoms that sometimes accompany hiv seroconversion (not everyone gets symptoms) are not caused by the virus itself. They are caused by the process the body goes through while producing antibodies.

While creating antibodies, the body produces a chemical called interferon (amongst others) and interferon is what causes the flu-like illness. Your body produces interferon in reaction to other illnesses as well, which is one of the reasons hiv cannot be diagnosed going by symptoms alone.

A person whose symptoms are being caused by the process of hiv antibody creation will normally test positive or indeterminate within five days or so of the onset of the symptoms. Some people will take a little longer to produce enough antibodies to trigger a positive result.

Many people do not feel any symptoms at all of antibody creation/seroconversion, so feeling fine after a true risk is not a reason to assume you have not been infected. This is why I hate it when some sites put a lot of emphasis on hiv symptoms - people who have been at risk but never felt ill afterwards may be caused to think they're ok and do not need to test. This is one of the ways hiv infections go undiagnosed.

I still fully expect you to ultimately test conclusively hiv negative, but you do need to test to make certain. Your hiv status is never something to guess about.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 10:34:23 am »
Ok thank you, I was neg at the 3 1/2 week mark(25 days) but I have been getting these weird random white bumps that come after I eat something for the past couple of days and today I had sore muscles? I'm guessing food allergy and I was in A very long car ride but is it safe to say not HIV since I've read that if you are going to get symptoms you get them all at the same time correct?and I will be going to the clinic in 2 weeks with my friend!

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:29:12 pm »
I have also been getting minor head aches that really only come late at might and they last for about an hour, is this any thing related or is this generally not related to any acute HIV?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »
Yes, if ARS symptoms are going to appear they come on all at once, not here and there or ceasing and then returning.

Unfortunately now you are busily misinterpreting everything that happens (or doesn't happen to you) through an HIV jitters mindset.

There is nothing even remotely suggestive of HIV in what you are reporting. Which is no surprise here since we continue you to ultimately test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:04:32 am »
Ok even if my head aches and stiif neck did come at the same time this still doesnt concern you? and what about type E being way easier to pick up? testing in 2 days and no lymph nodes fever or anything else.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 01:09:25 am »
Ok even if my head aches and stiif neck did come at the same time this still doesnt concern you? and what about type E being way easier to pick up? testing in 2 days and no lymph nodes fever or anything else.

Type E is not "easier to pick up" -- no matter the type, clade or strain HIV is transmitted in the same way with the same degree of difficulty. Stop worrying about such things.

You have been told that symptoms are irrelevant. A headache and a stiff neck could be caused by almost anything. Sleeping in a funny position, dengue fever, bacterial meningitis but not by HIV. If you're feeling ill see a doctor.

Given that you tested negative at the 3.5 week mark I agree with my colleagues that you will almost certainly test negative at 12 weeks.

MtD

Offline dredeagle

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 03:36:19 am »
Neg antibody and antigen test at 6 weeks :)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 03:41:57 am »
Neg antibody and antigen test at 6 weeks :)

Then you're pretty much assured of a negative test result at 12 weeks.

;)

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.