Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:28:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 225
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kidney disease from medications ??  (Read 8374 times)

Offline deibster

Kidney disease from medications ??
« on: November 23, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »
Hello & a Happy Holiday Season to All,
I am relative healthy; except for one time, viral loads have been undetectable for 6 yrs & CD4s in the 650 to 800 range. I do have fatigue & major depression, being treated. I was on Viread for 3 to 4 years and my serum creatinine crept up from normal (0.5 to 1.5 for a man) to 1.7, 1.8 & 1.9. I was taken off of Viread - the presumed culprit - in June, and in 4 months my serum creatinine came down to 1.7.

My brother (an MD, internal medicine) says I have moderate renal insufficiency. I'm stressed because the diet for kidney disease is Very low protein & moderate fluids. The diet for HIV disease is plenty of protein & 8 glasses of water per day, copious fluids.

Has anyone else had any experience with kidney disease while on HIV treatment? My ID doc is staying out of the discussion for now; wants to wait for another serum creatinine level in another 8 weeks. I guess, I'll move the labs up to 6 weeks and try to see my ID doc soon after that. Any info or support would be appreciated. Hugs from Provincetown cape cod, Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Kidney disease from medications ??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:52:18 am »
Hey Deibster,

Your doctor did the right thing by taking you off of the Tenofovir.

Whether you should go on a renal-supportive diet is a real question. I think I would go with your doctor's advice and wait to see how your creatinine levels are doing.

My kidney issues involved PIs, such as Crixivan, which caused other types of kidney problems.

Keep us posted on what your doctor says.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:36:22 am »
Hi,

Wish I had some advice to offer you.  To date, I never had any issues with the kidneys.  I was on Viread for about 5 years, as part of a 4 drug regimen.  ( viramune, Epzicom, and Viread)  I dropped the viread, toward the end of 2009.

Keep us updated---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 01:37:44 pm »
Unfortunately, I do have any special advice to share since (knock on wood) I don't have any kidney problems and the diet I'm on for gastroparesis isn't one I'd recommend to anyone.  :(  But I did want to lend my support so please keep us posted.

Hugs & Stuff,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 03:12:48 pm »
I was on Cixivan and then Viread for number of yrs. so I too have PI related kidney dysfunction, right now I'm currently on Travada, so my doctor has reduced that down to every other day, due to very high creatine-levels, so, after all of these yrs. of being on those PIs, I now have 57% kidney failure,

and I'm on a low-sodium-diet due to this, I drink lots of water ( about 10 to 12 glasses a day w/ a hint of lemon juice) it seems to help, right now, I'm stable

.....I'm with Mark, losing the Tenofovir is probably a good idea, so now it's a waiting game to see what your current creatine-levels will be, I also see a nephrologist ( that's a kidney doctor) to monitor my kidneys about every 6 months......at this point I really wouldn't worry too much about this right now....I hope this helps you out some & gives you some info.......Good Luck  ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:14:23 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 03:44:30 pm »
D,

This came through in my email the other day, which I found quite informative.  You may find it interesting,  There are also two poz casts to view:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/kidneys_12385.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline deibster

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 04:28:36 pm »
Hello all,
Thank you for the info and thanks for the support gentlemen. I'm reading the articles now & will update you when I get new lab results.

Denb45, hang in there. You have been supportive to all of us, and little did we know you need the support as much as any one of us. I hope you don't mind if I say a prayer for you. Please stay well.
Hugs to all, Deiby
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 04:30:49 pm by deibster »
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:41:42 pm »
 @ deibster  Well Thank You  :-* we all need the support from each other we get here in these forums  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline deibster

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »
Hi, I got new lab results. It's not terrible news but it's not great either. I found out that my serum creatinine was up to 1.97 when I was taken off of Viread this June(up to 1.5 is normal for men). It was back down to 1.72 in Sept and 1.71 now in Dec.

My ID doc says kidney damage from HIV meds is not usually permanent, so I'm being sent to a Nephrologist to find out if there is another reason for this level of creatinine. If it is going to stay at this level, I need to know if the kidney doc recommends a change in my diet to protect my kidneys from further damage. I cut down on my calcium pills because they also contain magnesium. I don't take Ibuprofin or aspirin because I have a bruising problem and actually got pneumonia one summer from bleeding into my lungs. If I have a Bad headache (i have allergy & sinus problems) I take one Tylenol with Codeine and so far I only get prescribed 40 tablets per year.
Merry Christmas and a Happy Chanukah to all.
Best Wishes that we all have a Healthy New Year!
  Hugs, Deiby
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:49:49 pm by deibster »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:05:53 am »
I always read with interest topics about kidney disease, especially since I'm also diabetic and also on Truvada.  I'm going to be interested in what the nephrologist says to you, and also to see if this is really temporary.  Look forward to the ongoing saga!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Lola71

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 10:05:34 pm »
Hi,

I also had my kidney function tank after being started on Viread.   Unfortunately, mine led to complete renal failure, dialysis, and then lucky for me a  kidney transplant.   My advice is to do exactly what the doctors tell you to do regarding diet and fluids.   Don't miss, skip, forget a single medication dose because if your HIV does anything hinky it will absolutely affect the kidneys.   Also, pay close attention to your blood pressure.  Even a tiny bump up should be watched.   They didn't watch mine, and I'm certain it helped push my kidneys over the edge because it stayed moderately elevated for a year.

Offline deibster

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 05:25:22 pm »
Hello all,
I finally saw the nephrologist today. My creatinine is still elevated, 1.7 after being off of Viread for seven months. The doc says that does not require any changes to my meds or diet. The biggest thing is to keep track of my blood pressure (bordering on high when on prescription stimulants), my cholesterol/triglycerides (I'm on pravastatin & Fenofibrate), and Not to smoke. I've never smoked on a regular basis & cut out grass because of my hay fever. If anything, I eat my grass to avoid inhaling the pollen, smoke.

So that's good news for me. I don't have to see the nephrologist for 6 months. She said the very low protein diet for kidney disease is old data & they don't believe that that helps anymore, besides leading to malnutrition in active people. Thanks for all of the support. Hugs, Deiby  :D

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:44:14 pm »
Hey Deiby sounds like good news, I see my nephrologist tomorrow, hope it's good news  ::)

Offline badgerdpg

• weed grower
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:45:26 pm »
Hi all, first post! I seroconverted in 87 and was Dx. with HIV and AIDS on Feb 22, 2001. In 2005, a couple years after starting Kaletra and Viread/Truvada, I was Dx. with cancer of the kidney. After an operation to remove 1/2 of my left kidney(and test my pain tolerance), my Dr still can't say if it was HIV related. I believe it was, but who knows? Badgerdog
Do unto others

Offline pyxye

• Long Term Survivor, i guess ... 1987
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:45 pm »
Hello everyone,
I began being monitored by a nephrologist for glomerulonephritis in 2007.  My kidney function  has been slowly deteriorating ever since.  I was told at the time that they didn't know the cause and that antiretrovirals could not be the cause (although I have had most of the protease inhibitors over the years).  I have monitoring and lab work-ups every 6-9 months.  The dietary advice I was given was to minimize protein intake and reduce or remove sodium intake.  I do my best but don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. 

I was told that kidney disease is progressive (kidneys cannot regenerate and they cannot clear scar tissue that builds up from inflammation) and that "some day" I would need dialysis and a possible transplant, if a donor match was available.  There seems to be no set rate of progression, so right from the start no one could tell me if the need for dialysis would take 5 years, 10 years or ...? Who knows.  I take a drug called Avapro (sounds like a dog food, doesn't it?  It's also called Irbesartan) 

As kidney disease is progressive and irreversible, I'm choosing to not worry about it, let it take its course, and get on with life ... more or less.  I live with extreme fatigue and spend a lot of time resting, and in between do whatever I feel like doing.  Lots of friends think I could manage a part-time job.  I don't look like I'm ill and I try not to make a big deal of it, so they mostly just don't understand.  I tend to stay to myself a lot now.  Good thing I like reading, music, and other quiet pursuits.

Offline deibster

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:27:30 pm »
Pyxye,
I know from extreme fatigue; I had it before I started hiv meds. If your blood pressure is normal, I would suggest that you see a doc for prescription stimulants. I'm on Concerta (time-released Rytalin) 36 mg., which is generic now & not too expensive.

Are you a client at a local ASO, AIDS services organization? They can help you finding doctors. You may need a psychiatrist to get the stimulant RX. You are Too Young to be a fatigued recluse. I hope you get involved in some hobbies, the library, outside of the house. :)
Hugs from Provincetown, Deiby
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:33:39 pm by deibster »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.