Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:47:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: diarrhea and Kaletra  (Read 15699 times)

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
diarrhea and Kaletra
« on: June 04, 2007, 12:43:02 pm »
I've been on Kaletra/Truvada for about 9 months now. I've had really no short term side effects. Over the last few weeks i've been having diarrhea pretty frequently. I know Kaletra can cause this and i'm wondering if i can develop this sort of side effect months into treatment?? it's not fun.
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: diarrhea and Kaletra
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 01:04:52 pm »
I've been on Kaletra for over two years.  Yes, you can.  And from my experience, I'd say to expect it to be an ongoing thing to watch out for.  I generally keep a supply of Immodium on hand to counter the Kaletra attacks.  They can just come and go periodically.  It hasn't been something that my system has gotten used to and has diminshed over time.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:47:42 pm »
Let me know when you get up to 10 2mg imodium tablets per day!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline catwoman

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:03:37 pm »
I'm on the same combo for a year and 5 months now and I still have the diarrhea.  It's not as often as early last year when I started but it's still there.  I notice when I take mulitvitamins I have less diarrhea.  I was taking KPax but I think it hurts my stomach now.  I've switched to Perfect Prenatals and it doesn't hurt my stomach.  The diarrhea is one of those wacked side effects.  Oh, I also try to up my acidophilus intake when the diarrhea kicks in.

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
Re: diarrhea and Kaletra (AND K-PAX)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:09:39 am »
yes i was taking K-pax as well but now it seems to make it worse!!

still you are all saying that you've had diarrhea this whole time. My just started 9 months into treatment. i think that is strange!!!

does PHILLY267 really take 10 imodium tablets per day??? what the fuck??
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:57:36 am »
bubble, I'm no longer on Kaletra.  I was on it from the time it was first approved in late 2000/early 2001 until a year ago, so slightly over five years.  I've always had to take a LOT of imodium for all protease inhibitors, though once I was up to 10 things were getting extreme.

Even now on a simple Norvir booster (which is a small 2 tablet/day dosing) I have to take 6 imodium tablets plus 6 pancrecarb tablets even to maintain some sort of equilibrium.   From what I see on this board however I think my body's reaction to the soothing diarrhea effects of this class of HIV medication is way outside the norm.  Also, my doctors think this reaction has helped cause my resistance to that entire class of drugs though I personally think it was also greatly effected by my first PI I went on in 1997, Invirase (Saquinavir), as the first formulation of this medication was shown to be quite faulty and cause problems which is why they had to redo it due to bad absorption in early adopters.  I do not have, and have never had, adherence issues so I'm quite sensitive to the public admonishments that patients experience treatment failure are lazy slackers in that department.

There were times when the diarrhea was so bad I had explosive experiences of defecating in public on busy NYC subway platforms... it was ever so enjoyable and helpful to my mental health.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:59:08 am by philly267 »

Offline Turkmenbashi

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:48 am »
I am also on Kaletra. My experience with diarrhea does not sound as bad as yours, but I nevertheless needed to do something to correct it. I decided I wanted to try a supplement-based cure, and I've had good results with Calcium (2x500mg twice daily) and Acidophilus (2 capsules twice daily).

If you're wary of stopping the Imodium cold turkey, you can also try adding Pepto Bismol tablets (2 capsules twice daily). This will turn stools black, but it will really calm things down.

I suppose finding the regimen that works for you will involve a bit of experimenting. Best of luck.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:59:04 am »
I should add that this allowed me to decrease my imodium intake (please note that I am not a pimp for this product even though I routinely pimp for it on these boards!).  I suggest this product as it's paid for by ADAP (at least in my state) and it's either natural or based on something natural (evidently you can buy it in health food stores too, though I've not personally checked that), and it treats the cause, not just the symptom.  Imodium is only treating your symptom.  Pancrecarb also, as an enzyme, increases absorption so your body is making the most of the HIV meds you are taking.  This is very important in MY case as obviously from my posts above my body was not handling protease inhibitors well over the long-term and thus I build resistance to it.  Avoid this fate at all costs my friends.  Life becomes ever so complicated when you don't benefit from an entire class of HIV meds... TRUST!

http://www.digestivecare.com/pancrecarb3.htm

PANCRECARB® disperses with food in the stomach and delivers bioactive buffered pancreatic enzymes into the intestine.  The active enzymes hydrolyze fats into glycerol and fatty acids, proteins into peptides and amino acids, and starches into dextrins and maltose.

PANCRECARB® provides safe and effective digestive enzyme supplementation therapy, which may result in a rapid, significant reduction in abdominal pain, cramps, flatulence and stool frequency associated with poor digestion of foods.

Digestive enzyme supplementation therapy is known to help intestinal regularity and general health.

Offline jjmcm

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 12:51:28 pm »
Hey Philly,

Don't know if you (or anyone else for that matter) has tried Motofen for diarrhea.  Quite frankly it is the best medicine I have ever used for the problem.  It doesn't make you drowsy like Lomotil.

Be careful with it at first though.  I actually take a 1/4 -1/2 tablet per day.  If you take too much, it can also plug you up.

I have never taken Pancrecarb.  You have had good luck with it?  I have been having some cramps in my right abdominal flank lately after eating and taking meds.  I hope I am not developing pancreatitis.  I see the doctor next week.

--JJ

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 01:09:43 pm »
Motofen has opiates in it which I try to avoid, as I often have allergic reactions.

Like I state above, Pancrecarb treats the cause not the symptom and increases absorption.  THIS is why I take it, and yes it has helped me.  I've been taking it now for 2 years.

Offline jjmcm

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 01:21:38 pm »
Philly, I thought Motofen was chemically related and did not actually include opitates.  I have to take so little for it to work, it has never been a problem.  I used a different brand of enzymes several years ago.  I might give Pancrecarb a try and see how it works.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 01:27:53 pm »
Really?  I did a quick google and it said it's an opiate but has some additive to prevent misuse.  My problem is not potential substance abuse (though it probably WOULD be if I didn't vomit so profusely! :)))) but the actual molecular structure (I guess).

I suppose I could try it, as my reaction can vary with that class so I will keep this in mind in the future, jjmcm so thank you anyway.  What I'm taking now is working even if it's 12 different pills/day.  I already have to inject myself twice/day and take about 12 other HIV pills so throwing back more for GI problems doesn't particularly bother me.

Offline jjmcm

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 02:25:38 pm »
Philly, I know this isn't exactly the same topic here.  I know we both have been on Fuzeon for a while. (19 months for me) Have you been on it long enough to develop scar tissue in injection site areas?  While I can still get the needle in, sometimes it is almost impossible to depress the plunger on the syringe.  Regardless, injecting under these circumstance guarantees a VERY nasty response.

I recently had to stop injecting in my abdominal area at least for the time being because of difficulty finding any place that did not swell up the size of an egg.  The chest is still fine, but the sides of my butt are also beginning to get difficult.  My partner recently started injecting me on the back which is tough because I have so little fat.

I tried a couple of places just below my waist on the upper most part of my thighs with reactions that last about 5 or 6 days.  I have never been able to inject the thighs because of the extreme problems there due to having nothing more than skin and muscle.  The daily drag with trying to find a suitable place has recently become trying.

I am Fuzeon fatigued.  I love the results, but hate the process...

I would love once a week shots or even once per day would be better.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »
jjmcm, I use the Biojector not the needles, and have done so since I started fuzeon 12 months ago.  I do get scars tissue build up, but they're tolerable most of the time.  There might be five days per month where I feel like stopping, but as long as it stays that minimal I can deal.  I have no way to compare it with what you are experiencing, but I do have a friend who did the needles for a couple years before switching to the Biojector and, as he's stayed on the latter I must assume it's slightly preferable.

I know the FDA approval on this has been delayed, or was when I last heard someone from Roche talke about it a couple of months ago.  I was able to get on a drug trial where this device was included and though the trial ended in October Roche must have something set up here with Bioscript because as long as I go through them I'm able to get the special Biojector syringes.  Not sure where you live but maybe you could hunt around with your doctor and see if there's some way to try this method out from Roche.

As we are off topic now if you need to PM me.

Offline catwoman

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 12:17:54 am »
Oh, another thing.  When I eat bananas it helps. 

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 12:37:05 am »
well i saw my DOC today and he is checking me for parasites but he thinks its the meds. he says there are usually 2 types of people....

1) have a reaction to Kaletara in the first week or 2 then pretty much have diarrhea consistantly while they are on it.
2) (me) get it after about 6-10 months of treatment, get it worse and then have it less frequently... we will see.

I will mention pacrecarb etc to him.
diagnosed 03/08/05
01/26/07 - undetectable!

Offline schnitzer

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 02:12:11 am »
bubbles: becareful with the diarrhea.  i eventually stopped this treament.. not because of the dirrrr but because my DTM levels were low and the doc didn't want to increase dosage.  the dirrr went on for 3 months, something changed in my lifestyle and i lost a lot of weight (-5%) i'm already a small guy to start off with.. everybody was asking what's wrong with me? the doc perscribed lomitil, kinda like immodium... but once in a while, i'll have to stop whatever i'm doing and run to the bathroom.

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 08:50:16 am »
Yes i am small too and i am worried that my body isn't going to absorb food properly now. i have lost only about 4 pounds so far but i am very afraid.
diagnosed 03/08/05
01/26/07 - undetectable!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 09:51:34 am »
Yes, well "fyi" I'm of slim build too and I had a major wasting episode while on Kaletra.  It was so not pretty going from 173 lbs. (I'm 6 ft) of gym muscle to 142 lbs. of skin and bones while continually being on the crapper.  Now, I can't rightly blame the Kaletra really, but it certainly did not help.  I'd had a less severe wasting episode (say 10 lbs less severe, but still substantial) a year prior to going on Kaletra, so that's why I indicate the blame is probably more on simply general effects of HIV infection.

People need to monitor their body weight.  If you see yourself dropping too quick (there's a fine line between being a hypochondriac and actual wasting of course) say over 10% of your normal weight then call your doctor and consider testosterone therapy -- it does work.  And it doesn't mean you have to stay on it forever, though I did stay on it for a significant amount of time (4 years).  I've been off testosterone for 3 years and not had another weight loss.

Offline Cadett

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 01:10:04 pm »
I have had diarrhea problems for years as a result of my meds.  My doctor suggested Imodium, which I use on occasion, but it causes problems because it makes your body absorb the moisture out of your stool.  This gets a little graphic to explain, but with regular diarrhea, at least things all shoot out with the liquid, a quick wipe and you're finished with it.  With light dose of Imodium, things for me turn to a thick sticky sauce that is difficult to clean. Hygiene became a worse side effect. With regular dose of Imodium, I go from diarrhea to constipation, with no moisture to help move the stool.

I accidentally came across a solution that has been a godsend for me.  I am not a doctor, so I'm not saying this is the answer for everyone, but it sure has been for me.....

***I take one fiber tablet along with my other meds.***  It regulates my bowels and gives the stool some substance without removing all the moisture.  With high fiber, my constitution has been closer to normal.  If I drop the fiber, the diarrhea comes back.

I don't know why fiber is so dang expensive to buy.  The cheapest source I have found is to buy bulk 1000 count bottles of tablets at Costco (I'm sure also available at Sam's Club, BJ's and other membership warehouses)

Give it a try and let us know your results?
If any doctors out there have a problem with adding high fiber to diets of Pos folks, please post.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 01:24:09 pm »
When I was even up to 10 imodium/day I still was never constipated.

*sigh*

I've already had 3 bowel movements today since 9am.

Offline bearby

• April 2007
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 02:04:31 pm »
DARN !
Y'all make kaletra sound like the worst thing to take for hiv / aids .
 I have been on if now for the past 7 years and haven't had any side effects from it ( other then the side effects I brought on myself which once delt with made life return to normal ( OK so I was smoking 4 packs a day and always had a dry mouth is why I had diarrhea and was constantly hitting the john to go from one opening or the other and once I realized that the smoking of that many cigarettes was the cause of my having to  do number 1 or 2 things constantly  went as I said back to normal .
 But now even after all these years that I have been taking meds ( since 2001 ) I havn't had nearly any of the side effects that  are told of on the meds phamplets in the med's respective boxes .
Have you preformed your random act of kindness today ?

Offline Parker1969

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 04:11:16 pm »
I am also on Kaletra/Truvada combo (and Invirase) and I started taking once a day fiber supplements that work.  A nurse practitioner told me to try it several years ago and I could not believe how quickly my problems went away.  When I told my ID about taking Metamucil, he had quite a pensive look on his face(as though he couldn't believe it) but said to do whatever it takes.  I also am lead to believe that this is all something to do with malabsorption.  I think the tablet forms of fiber are more expensive, so try to buy the soluble fiber, and not name brand.  The Costco brand is super cheap.  Also, make sure you are following the right directions on these containers (as a fiber supplement not as fiber laxative---thats all we need!!).  Also there is such a thing as too much on the vitamins.  I see a rather homeopathic DO for intravenous vitamins and minerals, and he told me that too much vitamin C will bring on bowel issues.
Also, eating frosted mini-wheats for breakfast doesn't hurt.

Offline Sweetness06

• The Doctor Gives the Word.But God is in Control
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 04:25:04 pm »
I've been on Kaletra/Truvada for about 9 months now. I've had really no short term side effects. Over the last few weeks i've been having diarrhea pretty frequently. I know Kaletra can cause this and i'm wondering if i can develop this sort of side effect months into treatment?? it's not fun.

>:( I have recently started a kaletra/truvada regimine; the diarrhea is no joke some days it seems like you are one with the porcelin (haha) but hey I know what you mean about it.

Yes the diarrhea never leaves  just remember to ask your doctor about keeping you with a lifeline to immodium. I found it counteracts the attacks of Kaletra.

I would like to keep in touch with you and everyone else that is on Kaletra so that I too can gain more insght.

Hang in there is does get bearable.

Peace to you

Sweetness06
THE DOCTOR GIVES THE WORD BUT GOD IS IN CONTROL

Offline dana

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »
philly267-I was just reading through the diarrhea/Kaletra stuff and noticed you talking about Fuzeon injections - I work with some people on the Fuzeon and our drug rep has provided a small vibrator that they use on the injection site for just a few minutes after each inj. and they are not having any problems with site reactions anymore !  Just thought I'd pass that along, the vibrators have made the difference in two people being able to continue the Fuzeon.  Hope this helps.

Offline PaulinNJ

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 07:18:28 pm »
I had problems with diarhea from the start when I began Kaletra. As soon as my doctor took me off of it (my liver didn't like all my drugs so I had to stop ALL meds for almost a year and dropped from CD4 of 800 to 300). I TRIED Immodium and everyone's system is different so perhaps Immodium might be a good resolution...in my case, it had the opposite effect and I wound up feeling like a Macy's Day Parade float! My doc even suggested half dosing, but my body overcompensated even with half dosing. One thing I did find out eraly on (pre-Kaletra) was that specific foods helped - in particular Stove Top Stuffing and oatmeal...they worked for me to a degree. Good luck! Paul
Laugh often - the alternative ain't worth it!
"Ain't I a stinker?" -- Bugs Bunny
From 120 t's, shingles and high VL in 2001
To 1200+ t's and undetectable in 2007.
2010 remain undedect. and 1000 CD4.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 07:53:31 pm »
philly267-I was just reading through the diarrhea/Kaletra stuff and noticed you talking about Fuzeon injections - I work with some people on the Fuzeon and our drug rep has provided a small vibrator that they use on the injection site for just a few minutes after each inj. and they are not having any problems with site reactions anymore !  Just thought I'd pass that along, the vibrators have made the difference in two people being able to continue the Fuzeon.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, but it was the poster called "jjmcm" that was having that issue.  Still, that said, we had a Roche representative at our fuzeon support group just 2 months ago and she did not mention this to us.  If you could provide some sort of more detailed link about this I would appreciate it, if more for the other people on this board who are on fuzeon.  There are a handful.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:56:04 pm by philly267 »

Offline Hard Times

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 11:55:54 pm »
i was on kaletra for one miserable year !  the ceramic throne was my best friend ! (no joke) .
so i went to my hiv dr. & said i had enough diarrhea ! she switched to reyataz & norvir .WHAT A RELIEF THAT WAS !!!
then i started eating rasin bran ,& more veggies.   i havent had diarrhea for 6 months !! or gas for that matter
 my bum doesn't work the wayit used to.    well atleast i can go for a long drive & not have to worry where the next toilet is !
some times we have to be our own drs. .  iv'e also have a rash thanks to truvada.
Your Body Is What You Are.
Your Soul Is Who You Are.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 12:44:49 am »
I've been on Kaletra since 2001.  I had really bad diarrhea at first but it got better with time.  It still gets me once in a while.
I noticed a few of things with me.  I can't tolerate milk anymore, even a latte from Starbucks will send me running to the porcelain goddess and the gas is just unbearable.  Also, no more alcohol, I can have some beer or wine with a meal but I get very sick if I have just a few drinks.
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 01:43:47 pm »
ugh. this post is seriously freaking me out and giving me nighmares!!! These horror stories....

i was fine for so long and now i'm trying not to stress out about this. no diarrhea today. Yogart seems to help me too. I will try the fiber. the malabsorption thing freaks me out more that the diarrhea.
diagnosed 03/08/05
01/26/07 - undetectable!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 05:09:34 pm »
bubble, my malabsorption issues are definitely more the exception than the rule I think though I have met one other person in my support group that experienced the same thing leading to PI class resistance.  His situation however is still ongoing even though he's now on fuzeon and they now have it diagnosed as some hereditary thing.  It's so bad he can't even eat out in restaurants the poor thing.

If it's not a daily thing I'd not label it frequent, but sporadic.  Don't become so afraid that you start not adhering to your meds... that is a worse decision to make.  Does imodium taken as needed not work?

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2007, 12:33:25 am »
How about using Glutamine for Protease induced Diarrhea?

From New York Buyers Club.

NAME:     Glutamine
DESCRIPTION:    Amino acid

L-glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body; it participates in many metabolic reactions in the body, and is predominantly synthesized and stored in skeletal muscle.

L-Glutamine is classified as a semi-essential or conditionally essential amino acid - meaning that under normal circumstances, the body can synthesize sufficient amounts to meet physiological demands. However, there are conditions where the body cannot do so.

L-glutamine has come to be regarded as one of the most important of the amino acids when the body is subjected to metabolic stress.

Available by prescription, also — New York state Medicaid covers it, for example.
FUNCTION:    Positively impacts gastrointestinal tract function - improving digestion and helping decrease intestinal permeability - boosting the digestive system's nutrient absorption.

Glutamine is used to treat “leaky gut” syndrome, which results when intestinal tissues are damaged. Glutamine is taken up in cells of the intestine and then oxidized, strengthening the overall structure.
SOURCES:    Small amounts of free L-glutamine are found in vegetable juices and fermented foods, such as miso and yogurt.
DOSAGE:    Typical doses for those with cancer, AIDS, trauma, burns, infections and other stress-related conditions range from 4 to 21 grams daily.

Also used for chemotherapy- or radiation-induced stomatitis: (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the mouth) doses of 2 to 4 grams twice daily or 2 grams four times daily - dissolved in water and used as a swish and swallow.
DATA:    Glutamine, HIV meds, and diarrhea: Clinical studies have demonstrated that people with protease-inhibitor-caused diarrhea find relief using 30-40 grams per day: start with about 15 grams per day and increase the dose until the diarrhea is controlled. For those using the powder form, each kitchen teaspoon is about 5 grams. A daily maintenance dose is one teaspoon a day. Take three times per day before/after or at the very beginning of meals for it to work effectively.[/size]
CAUTIONS:    Those with liver or kidney problems should exercise caution in the use of supplemental L-glutamine.
FOR MORE
INFORMATION:    Physician's Desk Reference's entry on L-glutamine provides solid information.

Lyn Patrick, ND (Doctor of Naturopathy), in Alternative Medicine Review, offers a comprehensive and well-documented overview of the use of several supplements in "Nutrients and HIV: Part Three – N-Acetylcysteine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, L-Glutamine, and L-Carnitine"

RELATED
PRODUCTS:    Glutamine capsules(NYBC) Each bottle, 100 capsules. Each capsule, 500 mg

Glutamine Powder - bulk (NYBC) Each ziploc bag, 1,000 grams of powder ( 1 kilogram / 2.2 pounds). Each quarter kitchen teaspoon has 700 mg.
PRODUCT NOTES:    Suggested use (of Glutamine Powder) is a quarter teaspoon (700 mg) in juice 1–3 times a day, between meals. However, some PWHIV are using a loading dose of up to 9 grams per day for a month to six weeks, and then tapering it down by 50% in the hopes of reducing infections, increasing absorption and lessening severe inflammation along the GI tract. Higher doses—up to 30+ grams per day—are being used for weight gain and/or very severe intestinal inflammation. Many mix their amino acid powders together or put them in their protein powder.
DISCLAIMER:    These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.    

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2007, 09:25:50 am »
I'm actually doing okay for now. i haven't had any diarrhea for a couple of days and i'm just eating yogart. the thing that worries me is that my shit is kinda softer and is floating so i heard that is a sign of not absorbing fat. i've lost a couple of pounds and don't want to lose more since i'm pretty skinny to begin with. this is only my 2nd year with HIV so worrying about PI resistantance is not something i can even deal with. I already picked up a non-nuc resistant bug so developing another resistance is too much to process.
diagnosed 03/08/05
01/26/07 - undetectable!

Offline ThePozDude

• Hey there poz dudes!
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »
*Bump*

I started Truvada + Kaletra a few months ago and have had diharrea since then.

There was a stage where it completely went away, Bearby said that when he stopped smoking the diharrea went away the same is true for me.

I swapped to electronic cigarette for 2 months and the diharrea stopped on day 2 and was gone until I started smoking cigarettes again. I need to get a new atomizer for my ecigarette.

If you smoke cigarettes and experience diharrea try the ecig, worked for me :)

The positive part of having diharrea is you never get constipated :)
*wipe* *wipe*
Poz since 2007

[Feb 2010] cd4 682 and vl 34k (started meds)
Truvada + Kaletra

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 09:56:13 am »
Eating full cream yogurt works.  Been doing it for about eight years, and solid, regular stools are a pleasure.  :)  Far cheaper than any medications you can buy, and delicious too.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:48 pm »
I'm considering a shift to Kaletra (and AZT) from Abacavir and Reyetaz (both combos with tenofovir), but I'm scared about the side effects - which is how I found this thread.  Searching for Kaletra and diarrhea.  Seems like it is pretty horrible, and as I currently have no side effects, I hate to change.  Alas my current meds cost $600/month, while the Kaletra/AZT set would be nearly free.

I'm curious, why would anyone be on Kaletra if it has such bad side effects?   Is it for financial reasons like me?
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:16 pm »
I'm considering a shift to Kaletra (and AZT) from Abacavir and Reyetaz (both combos with tenofovir), but I'm scared about the side effects - which is how I found this thread.  Searching for Kaletra and diarrhea.  Seems like it is pretty horrible, and as I currently have no side effects, I hate to change.  Alas my current meds cost $600/month, while the Kaletra/AZT set would be nearly free.

I'm curious, why would anyone be on Kaletra if it has such bad side effects?   Is it for financial reasons like me?

Because lots of people don't have bad diarrhea from Kaletra. 

Remember, people usually post because they have a problem, not because they don't have one.

A (whose Kaletra diarrhea was manageable through diet after the first week or two)
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.